PDA

View Full Version : Dance partners

Missy D
30th-May-2007, 12:09 AM
This will probably go down like a lead brick but, thought I would start a thread all the same.

I have noticed over the year that a few people are saying they want a dance partner so maybe this thread is where they can start looking.

Here goes!

I am a woman currently looking for a dance partner to compete with. I live in London and would like to do the advanced or open category.:flower:

Over to you!

Minnie M
30th-May-2007, 07:30 AM
I find threads like this confusing :confused:

If you are confident enough to enter a public competition - why don't you ask the partners you enjoy dancing with :waycool: Or ask one of your friends to select someone for you.

You may not be happy with an unknown dancer, and if they have volunteered themselves they obviously think they are good, and that will hurt/embarrass them :sad:

AND ............ for someone as gorgeous as you and a fab dancer :yeah: you shouldn't have a problem :flower:

Spin dryer
30th-May-2007, 08:59 AM
I am a woman currently looking for a dance partner to compete with. I live in London and would like to do the advanced or open category.:flower:

I don't understand what is confusing here. Missy D is laudably straight forward about what she is looking for.

under par
30th-May-2007, 09:26 AM
good luck Missy D I hope you find someone:flower: :yeah:

mikeyr
30th-May-2007, 09:40 AM

I agree with Missy D.

The problem is that, left to chance encounter it will be unlikely probability you will find a suitable dance partner, unless everybody knows of your desire to compete.

There are so many venues now especially around the London area that it is very difficult to get to them all and then to dance with everybody there with an eye to recruiting a potential competition partner, start planning for next year now.

Also there may more people who'd like to try a competition but feels its all too daunting because its not easy to find imformation on.

Sufficed to say a thread on here will only reach a small percentage of the dancers out there but they will be better predespoed to the whole idea.

Also I think a "things to think about before you compete" (Rules of engagement) list would be a good idea.

Competitions can exact a high cost both Emotionally & Financially, it would save a lot of heart ache I am sure if the partnership can start off with a set of aligned objectives and a clearer understanding of whats involved.

IMHO of course:what:

onkar
30th-May-2007, 09:42 AM

If you are confident enough to enter a public competition - why don't you ask the partners you enjoy dancing with :waycool: Or ask one of your friends to select someone for you.

You may not be happy with an unknown dancer, and if they have volunteered themselves they obviously think they are good, and that will hurt/embarrass them :sad:

AND ............ for someone as gorgeous as you and a fab dancer :yeah: you shouldn't have a problem :flower:

I see no problem posting a question like this. I have been looking for a regular dance partner for almost 2 1/2 years for competitions. Still no joy :sad:

I have found that many ladies who are local, I am comfortable with dancing and who (most importantly) I enjoy dancing with, tend to either be married (with partners not too keen on the idea of dance partners)/have young family/not enough time, to practice on a regular basis. So advertising on a wider forum is one approach.

I have advertised similarly elsewhere and so far have had offers of marriage from Russia, and loads of Nigerian Princess's offering to place huge sums of monies into my bank account in exchange for my bank details. But alas no one seriously into dancing.

Good luck Missy D

Onkar

stewart38
30th-May-2007, 09:49 AM
This will probably go down like a lead brick but, thought I would start a thread all the same.

I have noticed over the year that a few people are saying they want a dance partner so maybe this thread is where they can start looking.

Here goes!

Over to you!

Me to but id stick to the Intermediates

Its amazing how hard it is to find a dance partner :sad:

stewart38
30th-May-2007, 09:57 AM

Its a problem for a lot of people

whats confusing about it ?

I went on a dance partner site

First women I dance with was looking for a relationship , the 2nd had never ceroc/jive but said in her profile she had for 3yrs ?

I come runner up twice in dance with a stranger comps (about 50+ couples). Both times both ladies said they were no where near good enough to ‘compete’ and I haven’t seen either do so.

Im also fussy as I want someone better then me for same reasons I stated 2 yrs ago :whistle:

I assume by posting I assume Missy D is having a problem finding someone suitable

Minnie M
30th-May-2007, 03:39 PM
Sorry folks, maybe 'confusing' was the wrong word.....

I just don't understand why there is a need to ask publically for a dance partner when we have so many good dancers at weekenders and local dances - where a good dancer (especially as good and lovely like Missy D) could check out, and then ask for a dance and if they are dance compatible, then ask the question ???

Unless you are asking for a 'dance with a stranger' or in my case "Rock Vet" etc., I can't see how the forum would be the correct place to look

Am I the only one who thinks this way ??

(sorry about my English - just read through and it is quite bad)

stewart38
30th-May-2007, 04:34 PM
Sorry folks, maybe 'confusing' was the wrong word.....

I just don't understand why there is a need to ask publically for a dance partner when we have so many good dancers at weekenders and local dances - where a good dancer (especially as good and lovely like Missy D) could check out, and then ask for a dance and if they are dance compatible, then ask the question ???

Unless you are asking for a 'dance with a stranger' or in my case "Rock Vet" etc., I can't see how the forum would be the correct place to look

Am I the only one who thinks this way ??

(sorry about my English - just read through and it is quite bad)

I don’t know why they have internet dating as surely you could go to pub and ask someone out ?

Id say its just another ‘forum’ no pun intended , people will know Missy D and myself and maybe others are looking for dance partners (Im a fat ugly git so I may have more of a problem)

Don’t see the harm in it ?

Ive had 6PMs already :whistle:

Minnie M
30th-May-2007, 04:49 PM
........Don’t see the harm in it ?
True :blush:

........Ive had 6PMs already :whistle:

:clap: that's great - and I assume they are from followers who have danced with you, so they know you are a good dancer

However, as it has been said, there are more good followers then good leads, so a lead asking for a partner does make more sense

Good luck to all :clap: I sincerely hope you find the dance partner of your dreams and win many competitions, whether by advertising etc., or by personally asking

BTW please don't compare this with internet dating - it is IMO completely different - unless you are after both :really:

dave the scaffolder
30th-May-2007, 07:15 PM

Here goes!

Over to you!

Try Onkar IMHO he is one of the best dancers on the scene.
XXX XX DTS Dave

Lynn
30th-May-2007, 09:12 PM
You don't get if you don't ask. And you might not know who to ask. You might want to simplify the process by letting it be known that you want a partner and what for (in this case to compete) and then you can arrange to meet at weekenders and venues and check out to see if you are dance compatible.

Seems straightforward to me.

I currently have a practice partner (not a competition partner) so that I could have some focused dance practice etc. I looked around, found someone I was dance compatible with, and simply asked. But if I did want a competition partner I would have to look further afield and would probably ask on here too.

Mary
30th-May-2007, 10:36 PM
I think it's a perfectly sensible idea letting it be known on the grapevine that you are looking for a competition partner. I know Missy D and know she is gorgeous dancer. I dance at different venues to her so if I happen to dance with someone who is also looking to compete (in a similar category) at least I could suggest her name. Even though we dance at different venues, all venues in the southern area are reasonable striking distance for a couple to practise.

We also know that location is not an issue - on more than one occassion people from almost opposite ends of this island have competed together - myself included.:wink:

M

robd
31st-May-2007, 09:01 AM
This will probably go down like a lead brick

I WLTM a lead brick :wink:

nebula
16th-June-2007, 12:46 AM
I am based in Norfolk, and have trouble finding a partner, too. I haven't been looking / asking for long, but it is an issue :really: .
I am by no means an advanced dancer, as only been doing it for about 8-9 months, but am comfortable with most intermediate moves.
Would very much like to concentrate on getting ready for Champs next year, especially as have unlimited time in August - can dance every night, if needed :D ! Anybody interested within easy (well, more or less) travelling distance, please get in touch.
Have to add - :rofl:not offering any marriages from Russia, and am not interested in anyone's bank details:rofl:

Little Monkey
20th-June-2007, 07:09 PM
Well, I thought that I'd have a partner for this year's Scottish Ceroc Champs, but obviously now I don't any more. If I'd known this, I'd have tried to find someone at Southport, but as I'm not psychic........

Anyway - I'd love to do the intermediate category. Best thing would have been to find someone not too far away, so I could practice with him, but if it's someone I know and have danced with before, I'd be up for just entering without any practice time!

Now guys, form an orderly queue..

Yeah right!

:rolleyes:

littlewiggle
20th-June-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't understand what is confusing here. Missy D is laudably straight forward about what she is looking for.

:yeah:

Good luck Missy D - It ain't easy hon....!!!

littlewiggle
20th-June-2007, 09:41 PM
True :blush:

BTW please don't compare this with internet dating - it is IMO completely different - unless you are after both :really:

Actually Minnie, you have hit the nail on the head there. Back to the same old thing whereby some people seem to think freestyles are pick up joints and nothing to do with dancing!

ducasi
20th-June-2007, 10:01 PM
Now guys, form an orderly queue..
I'd be first in the queue if I didn't already have a partner. :flower:

Clueless
20th-June-2007, 10:08 PM
I have found a 'dance partner' well a dancer whom, I have an amazing connection with and when someone mentions competition to me I freeze I just think it will take the fun out of it.

Its a worry that it'll take the fun out of it, Sound weird to anyone else?

Little Monkey
20th-June-2007, 10:27 PM
I'd be first in the queue if I didn't already have a partner. :flower:

Oh, thank you, sweetie! :nice: :o :hug:

Rhythm King
21st-June-2007, 07:32 PM
I WLTM a lead brick :wink:

And I WLTM a follow brick :whistle:

David Bailey
21st-June-2007, 07:42 PM
And I WLTM a follow brick :whistle:

Would Like To Lead a brick :)

Rhythm King
22nd-June-2007, 10:05 AM
Don't worry my boy, I'm sure I can find some lead for you - it even comes with a nice little metal jacket :devil: :wink:

Mythical
8th-August-2007, 11:41 PM
Mind if I resurrect this?

I'm looking for someone (a lead) to compete with - in beginners for now, so they'd need to have been dancing around 5-8 months. I'm based in gtr. Manchester until mid-september, then back in the midlands again - and want to try competing (this year will probably be the only chance I get to compete without looking like a complete prat!) for nothing more than the sheer fun of showing off.

PM me, if you know someone!