PDA

View Full Version : Jive Aces

Diane
4th-August-2003, 09:50 AM
I was lucky enough to see the Jive Aces last night in Nottingham.

I have to say they are fantastic:D

I saw on their gig guide that they will be in Edinburgh on 13th Aug @ the Hard Rock Cafe so I though I give you guys a 'heads up' if you haven't seen them before, try your best to get there, you won't be dissapointed.

di

Dreadful Scathe
4th-August-2003, 11:12 AM
Ive been lucky enough to dance in the street with the backing of the Jive Aces - once on the Royal Mile, Edinburgh and once on Oxford street, London. I also managed to misjudge an aerial and leave my partner hanging upside down in front of the 100 strong watching crowd. Funny though :)

These are Jive Aces gigs for the rest of the year :)

August
Fri, 1st, 11pm - Vegas Edinburgh, Spiegeltent, George Square (behind Teviot Row Students Union), Edinburgh, Scotland
Sat, 2nd, 7:30pm - The Maltings Arts, Eastern Lane, Berwick upon Tweed, UK
Sun, 3rd, 8pm - Hard Rock Cafe, 11 King Street, Nottingham, UK
Wed, 6th to Sat 9th, 11pm - Silda Jazz, Club Byscenen, Haugesund, Norway
Wed, 13th, 9:00pm - Hard Rock Cafe, 29 George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland
Sat 16th, 9pm - Saunton Sands Hotel, Saunton sands, Braunton, Devon, UK
Thurs, 21st, 8pm - Langley Park Sports & Social Club, 2 Hawkesbrook Lane, Beckenham, Kent, UK
Fri, 22nd, 8:30pm - Lord Napier, 111 Beulah Road, Thornton Heath, Surrey, UK
Sat, 23rd, 9pm - Woughton Theatre, Leadon Hall, Rainbow Drive, Milton Keynes, UK
Sun, 24th, - 7:30 Great British R&B Festival, Municipal Hall, Colne, UK (also featuring Lazy Lester)
Mon, 25th, 3:00pm - Victoria Embankment Gardens, (next to ) Westminster, London, UK
Mon, 25th, 8:45pm - 100 Club, 100 Oxford Street, London, UK
Wed, 27th, 8pm - The Portman, 87 Ashley Road, Boscombe, UK
Fri, 29th - Sun 31st - Eindhoven Jazz Festival, Holland
September
*Tues, 2nd, 8:00pm - Hanbury Ballroom, 85-100 St Georges Rd, Kemptown, Brighton
Fri, 5th, 8:00pm - The Cinnamon Club at The Bowdon Rooms, The Firs, Bowdon, Altrincham, Manchester, UK
Sat, 6th, 8:00pm - The Winding Wheel, 13 Hollywell Street, Chesterfield, UK
Sun, 7th, 8:30pm - The Royal Wells Inn, Mount Ephraim, Tunbridge Wells, East Sussex, UK
Thurs, 11th, 9pm - The Tram, 131 James Street, Dublin, Eire
Fri, 12th, midnight - Sugar Club, 8 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2, Eire
Sat, 13th, 1am - Gaiety Theatre, South King Street, Dublin 2, Eire
Sun, 14th, 9pm - The Foxhunter, Ballydowd, Lucan (on the N4), Eire
Mon, 15th, 9pm - Cafe en Seine, 39/40 Dawson St, Dublin 2, Eire
Tue, 16th, 9pm - Royal Northern College of Music, Students Union Bar, 124 Oxford Rd, Manchester, UK (students only)
Fri/Sat 19th & 20th - Narconon Arrowhead anniversary, Oklahoma, USA
Fri, 26th, 9pm - The Big Chill, 911 E. Morehead, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Sat, 27th - Charlotte Jazz Festival, The Charlotte Shout, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Sun, 28th, 9pm - Clarendon Ballroom, 3185 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, Virgina, USA
October
Fri, 3rd, - Hemsby International Rock 'n' Roll Festival, Pontins Holliday Camp, Hemsby, Great Yarmouth (also appearing with Johnny Olenn)
Sat, 4th, 9pm - Jagz Jazz Club (at the station), Station Hill, Ascot, UK
Sat, 11th - Jazz Festival, Dusseldorf, Germany
Sun, 26th, 8pm - Celebrity Charity Concert, Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, West Sussex, UK
Tue, 28,th 8pm - St Georges Hall, George St, Exeter, UK
Wed, 29th, 9pm - Concorde Club, Stoneham Lane, Eastleigh, Hants, UK
Thurs, 30th, 7:30pm - Oaken Gates Theatre, Limes Walk, Oakengate, Telford, Shropshire, UK (venue: 01592619020)
Fri, 31st, 8pm - The Winning Post, A316 Chertsey Road, Whitton, London, UK
November
Sat, 1st, 8pm - Montpelier Jazz Music School, Montpelier, France
Sat, 8th - Jazz Festival, Bochum, Germany
Mon, 10th, 8:45pm - 100 Club, 100 Oxford Street, London, UK
Fri, 14th, 8:30pm - The Lichfield Garrick, Castle Dyke, Lichfield, Staffs, UK
*Sat, 15th, 8:00pm - Paisley Town Hall, Abbey Close, Paisley, Scotland
Fri, 21st, 9pm - Willow Arts Centre, George Street, Corby, North Hants, UK
Thurs, 27th, 7:30pm - Alnwick Playhouse, Bondgate Without, Northumberland, UK
Sun, 30th, 8pm - King Georges Hall, Northgate, Blackburn, Lancs, UK
December
Fri, 12th, 8pm - Savoy South, Parkside Mall, 7200 US Highway North, Pinellas Park, Florida, USA
*Tues, 16th, 8:00pm - The Big Chill, 911 E. Morehead, Charlotte, NC, USA
Sun, 28th, 9pm - Kings Arms Hotel, 18 Castle Street, Christchurch, Dorset, UK

Franck
4th-August-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
These are Jive Aces gigs for the rest of the yearthanks for that DS...
I was just about to announce a Special appearance of the Jive Aces next Wednesday in Glasgow for a Special One-off Ceroc night, but unfortunately, they had got their dates wrong, and we were unable to arrange it...

I am however talking to them for a future visit at one of the forthcoming big parties... Watch this space :D :waycool:

Great band, loads of energy and I love their version of 'accentuate the positive'

Cheers,

Franck.

Diane
4th-August-2003, 11:28 AM
Great band, loads of energy and I love their version of 'accentuate the positive' Bought their cd last night especially because they do that track :nice:

Graham W
5th-August-2003, 10:57 PM
..accentuate the brainwashing..., more like

they are creepy scientolgists!!

I saw them & was perplexed at the crowd reaction when I realised who they were..

G

Neil
5th-August-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Graham W
they are creepy scientolgists!!

Bloomin' heck! Just did a search on Google and it turns out you're right. What a turn-up! :sad:

Still a great band, though...

Neil

Dr. Feelgood
6th-August-2003, 12:13 AM
Was also going to make that point. Excellent band, brilliant to dance to, if slightly fast for some people, but sadly they are also a front for the "church" of scientology... ... but then, is that particular cult really any worse than any other brand of organised religion, I wonder...

Kiwi_Tim
6th-August-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Feelgood
is that particular cult really any worse than any other brand of organised religion, I wonder...

well, I found this one of their websites (http://www.scientology.org/cp97/press/index.htm)

No mumbo jumbo. No initiation. No human sacrifices.

damn...

bigdjiver
6th-August-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Ive been lucky enough to dance in the street with the backing of the Jive Aces
<snipped>
Fri, 22nd, 8:30pm - Lord Napier, 111 Beulah Road, Thornton Heath, Surrey, UK

A famous old big band and jazz pub, I am glad to see it is still going.

The last time I was there, yonks ago, I ate a meal whilst waiting for the 17 piece big band to start. The band had really tried hard. They all had the traditional solid music stands with their logo on, all dressed in the same uniform, all the men with the same crew cuts. The leader looked very miserable. There were only 4 people as an audience (it was early). The door opened. In came another four people. The leader smiled, his audience had just doubled. The guy at he door looked up at the band behind their music stands, with their little crew cuts, and said, in a very loud voice:
Oh look, the've got a musical coconut shy!

I had to leave a few numbers (to dance), so I never found out how many arrived later.

Graham W
6th-August-2003, 10:37 AM
..if me and the Dr get whisked away we are in East Grinstead - rescue us!!

Gimme planet Leroc rather then planet Hubbard anyday.. :-)

G

Diane
6th-August-2003, 11:15 AM
I already knew about their connection with the scientology which did put me off, but you don't have to buy into that, just enjoy the music :cool:

Dreadful Scathe
6th-August-2003, 11:37 AM
I knew about the scientology links too, and i couldnt care less. I don't make a habit of being concerned about peoples religious beliefs, I just don't dance with Jewish people.............joking :)

Although if, according to their press release, theres 'no mumbo-jumbo' and 'no human sacrificies' then it cant really be called a proper religion can it, you need at least some death and destuction and nonsense rhetoric :).

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
6th-August-2003, 11:55 AM
I'm with you on that one Smurf.

But I recently received a mail saying:
Scientologists- like any cult- strip their members of cash, and divide them from their friends and family. Thus scientologists are potentially very harmful, and should be shunned, and not supported in any way.

:waycool: Chill man...

Grant
6th-August-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Basil Brush

Scientologists- like any cult- strip their members of cash, and divide them from their friends and family.
:waycool: Chill man...
they are also fanatical in their pursuit of anyone critical of them (especially ex-members) :mad:
so my advice to you foxy dude is...
Hide man

Grant

6th-August-2003, 06:32 PM
. . . . .ducks 4 cover . . . . .

Grant
7th-August-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Basil Brush
. . . . .ducks 4 cover . . . . .
my warning obviously came to late :sorry
i guess you won't be up to being one of the dance extras they asked franck for :D

Grant

Graham W
7th-August-2003, 05:01 PM
..I'll never buy a Sophie Ellis Bextor song again!!

7th-August-2003, 06:18 PM
It's OK I'm back! That was a bit close to the bone.

CJ
8th-August-2003, 12:22 AM
You were really THAT close to giving Sophie the bone?:D