PDA

View Full Version : Champs on webcam?

bigdjiver
25th-May-2007, 01:05 PM
My reactometer idea spawned the notion that it could be used as a judging aid, and that spawned the idea that anyone with a laptop could be a judge, and that spawned the idea that the Champs could be broadcast as a paid for webcast. That just might transform the profitability of the championships.

Spiky Steve
25th-May-2007, 01:13 PM
My reactometer idea spawned the notion that it could be used as a judging aid, and that spawned the idea that anyone with a laptop could be a judge, and that spawned the idea that the Champs could be broadcast as a paid for webcast. That just might transform the profitability of the championships.

I like new ideas but I would think that most of the people that are bothered would already be there. It would be interesting to know how many DVD's they sold.

Twirlie Bird
25th-May-2007, 01:31 PM
I want to buy one of the dvd's. Where do I get one from?

Don't think I would like to watch the champs via webcam. Would much rather be there. Wouldn't be able to catch the atmosphere. :what:

Would be a good option though if I wasn't able to attend. Watching on a webcam is better than not seeing any of it. Would also be good to watch the freestyles in between and try to spot out people that you know. :rolleyes:

David Franklin
25th-May-2007, 02:03 PM
My reactometer idea spawned the notion that it could be used as a judging aid, and that spawned the idea that anyone with a laptop could be a judge, and that spawned the idea that the Champs could be broadcast as a paid for webcast. That just might transform the profitability of the championships.How long are the Champs? 14 hours? That's one heck of a webcast. Plus there's not a lot of point if it's only going to be YouTube-levels of video quality. YouTube is (barely) acceptible for spotlight dances - it's pretty much a waste of time if there are several couples. And to be honest you'd really want a choice of camera angles.

Other places are doing it - you can watch many of the Blackpool Dance Festival comps at The Dancing Channel.TV (http://channel.quasarvideo.com/). But at £12-50 per category, it's not exactly cheap. (And they don't have the only categoryI'd be interested in watching: the Professional Exhibition - sulk!).

Personally, I find video streamed over the internet frustrating to watch even when it's free. If I was actually paying for it and I couldn't rewind properly, or the site was busy and only delivering 10fps, I'd be furious.

Better to just get the DVD IMHO.

Anita
25th-May-2007, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=Twirlie Bird;375491]I want to buy one of the dvd's. Where do I get one from?

You can buy online -

Ceroc.co.uk (http://www.ceroc.co.uk/)

David Franklin
26th-May-2007, 11:22 PM
Other places are doing it - you can watch many of the Blackpool Dance Festival comps at The Dancing Channel.TV (http://channel.quasarvideo.com/). But at £12-50 per category, it's not exactly cheap. (And they don't have the only category I'd be interested in watching: the Professional Exhibition - sulk!).So, Blackpool has started and some denizens of Dance Forums (http://dance-forums.com) have tried the webcast. Here are their comments:

I just tested the LIVE pro RS latin and it is unwatchable. I am hooked up to the internet via cable and it is still too laggy. Maybe if someone has a T1 connection it will work better....or maybe they just dont have enough bandwidth on their end.

Either way, the LIVE option is unwatchable.

I've spoken to the broadcast guys, they tested their for a couple of hours before going live and had no problems, but around the time of going live, BT capped all the lines in the Blackpool area due to more people logging on to broadband locally - which meant the speed of their connection dropped. They are however addressing the issue today, so it should be sorted long before the next broadcast tonight.

Well, I am incredibly disppointed. I payed to watch the Team match live and it was a complete waste of money. I couldn't access the video for 15 minutes, when I could finally see a picture there was no sound for a further 15 minutes. Finally I had picture and sound and then the video began to badly freeze, meaning that I missed most of the dancing. So I payed a lot of money to watch very little, I couldn't enjoy the competition at all and I feel more than a little ripped off. Many others have apparently experienced the same thing.I'd like to claim my own reservations on webcasting were prophetic, but it looks like it turned out even worse than I feared. :tears: