PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new dance dilemma

Bravetart
24th-May-2007, 12:36 PM
After finishing a dance I started to head towards someone that I wanted to dance with and caught his eye to ask him to come onto the dancefloor when, at the same time, I was tapped on the arm from behind to be asked to dance.

Should I have politely refused the tap and said I was otherwise already dancing with someone or should I have given the apologetic look to the guy who I wanted to dance with?

I just wonder what others would have done in the situation.

Trousers
24th-May-2007, 12:43 PM
If you've asked for a dance even by eye contact it would be rude of you to not take that dance - how would you have liked to be on the end of that yourself.

It's easy to say sorry i'm taken for this dance!

Sorted

dave the scaffolder
24th-May-2007, 12:44 PM
After finishing a dance I started to head towards someone that I wanted to dance with and caught his eye to ask him to come onto the dancefloor when, at the same time, I was tapped on the arm from behind to be asked to dance.

Should I have politely refused the tap and said I was otherwise already dancing with someone or should I have given the apologetic look to the guy who I wanted to dance with?

I just wonder what others would have done in the situation.
From my point of view, dance with Mr tapper, he has you by arm.
Next dance with the other guy, everybody happy.

XXX XXX DTS Dave:cheers:

TheTramp
24th-May-2007, 01:04 PM
There you go. 2 answers, 2 different sets of advice.

I'd have gone with the person I made eye contact with as well.

pmjd
24th-May-2007, 01:04 PM
If you've already agreed to a dance with someone else, even by eye contact, then that's the one to go for. Just explain to the tapper that you already have someone for this track and promise to get them for the next one.

Have done that many times before and when explained the second person to ask has always been fine with it.

Gadget
24th-May-2007, 01:13 PM
It depends on...
... the music being played, who tapped me, how they tapped me, if they had made a big effort to get to me, who I was asking, the stage of my asking (looking to see if they were free, just eye contact, eye contact and a nod, an offered hand, them moving to accept it, ...), what the last track was, if I had danced with either of them recently, ...

...but that's only if they catch me in the limbo betwen offer and acceptance: Normally my offer and my partner's acceptance has been completed before someone grabs my attention, but I have been caught just before/during me offering and had to appologies and come back to them.

Whichever way I went, I would try and ensure that my next dance would be with the one I had to decline.

dave the scaffolder
24th-May-2007, 01:17 PM
I think the key words here are, next dance with the other guy.

All bases covered.

XX XXX DTS

Bravetart
24th-May-2007, 01:18 PM
thank you for the replies.

I did dance with the one I let down straight after so I guess all's well that ends well, but I wasn't sure what the correct etiquette would be

Trousers
24th-May-2007, 01:28 PM
Thank god I'm on the same wavelength as Trampy

I feel all special now

:waycool:

dave the scaffolder
24th-May-2007, 01:32 PM
Thank god I'm on the same wavelength as Trampy

I feel all special now

:waycool:
Youre always special to me.
XXX XXXX DTS:wink::love:

MartinHarper
24th-May-2007, 02:28 PM
Ideally, I take tapper into close hold, and then make hand signals behind her back to eye-person to the effect of sorry/etc. My feeling is that it's slightly better to take back a request I've made of someone else to dance, rather than refuse a request someone else has made of me. Also, eye-person is fully aware of the situation, so they should understand, whereas tapper is presumably unaware of the eye contact that was being made, and can remain unaware.

It doesn't really matter.

straycat
24th-May-2007, 05:21 PM
Chuck Norris would simply roundhouse-kick the tapper into the middle of next week for daring to distract him**, then make eye-person's dreams come true.

**If he was feeling merciful, he might deign to dance with them when they landed the following Wednesday.

Caro
24th-May-2007, 05:34 PM
Dance with both - one follow, two leads, that's great fun that :D (although I remain to experience being the follow :whistle: )

JiveLad
24th-May-2007, 05:56 PM
Always a tricky one......for me it's a kind of 'first come' basis. Obviously in that situation.....how do you assess who did come first? A similar thing happened at Berko on Sunday to me - although the one who did dance with me was more to the side than from the back. I did make eye contact with the other lady (a forumite) to say (kind of) - 'next dance' - which is what we did (and a great dance it was....).

Then later, I had 'one of those moments' in the Blues Room: at the end of a track, I was looking for someone to dance with.......then it all happened so quickly like musical chairs - I went for lady A.....no, then B aaaagh just beaten - and then suddenly everyone was up dancing .......except me - with no-one left over. :tears: for 3 mins then I got over it. That's the beauty of MJ - you can get knocked back and you can get pulled right back on your feet very quickly.