PDA

View Full Version : Jive Extras

Chris
3rd-August-2003, 02:46 AM
:cheers:
Big thank you to Lindsay for a fab Jive Extras day and evening party! All very professionally organised with a great atmosphere. Those cabarets made it a very entertaining one too! (And what a record collection Peter has . . .) Nice to see so many freindly familiar faces - wish I could have danced with everyone.

Thanks also to the folk (if on the forum) who came and supported our workshop, and hope you got something from it. If anyone wants a copy of the handout we did it's online at
http://www.docker.demon.co.uk/dance/dancenotes.pdf
(Hope you like the format of doing moves plus style plus techniques all together, 'kiwi' style <g>)

Eclectic choice of top teachers (Peter & Steve) too - between them they certainly livened things up!!

Chris

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
3rd-August-2003, 03:22 PM
Just out of the bath............. trying to soothe my weary limbs after yesterday's antics. I am totally aching from head to brush, despite my agile and petite partner. Particularly enjoyed Peter's dips and Steve's leaps. The music at night was very different- in a good way. Cabaret - Blues Sisters - superb! Go girls!

Tiggerbabe
3rd-August-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Basil Brush
Just out of the bath............. trying to soothe my weary limbs after yesterday's antics. I am totally aching from head to brush, despite my agile and petite partner.

Now you have me at a disadvantage Mr Brush as you know who I am - which one (exactly) were you?

I have my suspicions mind you - did you also do Lindsay and Graham's class? :wink:

Chicklet
4th-August-2003, 07:16 AM
I also have a suspicion!!

Spent most of yesterday trying to stretch muscles back into human shapes and sizes but have to add my thanks to all involved for a really great day!!!

Roll on the next!!
Cx:D

4th-August-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
I have my suspicions mind you - did you also do Lindsay and Graham's class? :wink:

I wasn't in their class, no..... but you chatted to me at the door for a few minutes at lunchtime. Come on Tigger, think about it girl...!

Graham
4th-August-2003, 12:34 PM
I wasn't in their class, no..... but you chatted to me at the door for a few minutes at lunchtime. Come on Tigger, think about it girl...! Glad you enjoyed the workshop and party, Basil. I assume we didn't talk to each other (if you actually know who I am). I also thoroughly enjoyed both, and the BS cabaret - first time I'd seen them, and they were great!

Grant
4th-August-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Chris
Big thank you to Lindsay for a fab Jive Extras day and evening party!
Chris

i'd just like to second that. i didn't make it to the evening party but the day was excellent, very interesting and a lot of fun. :nice:
my short russian was delivered personally by trampy and despite the language barrier she took everything in her stride. i think the fact that we had a tiny bit of shared welsh background helped, didn't it nomski. :wink:

Wendy
4th-August-2003, 02:25 PM
Had a great day and party night !!! Muscles still recovering - can hardly even change gear without an "ouch"..... can't wait to practise the new moves...

Thanks !!!

Wxxx

Aleks
4th-August-2003, 02:28 PM
JusCabaret - Blues Sisters - superb! Go girls!

Had a great time being a BS - was so wrapped up I started making up my own moves part way through each number!

Thanks Lindsay for a great night, as usual!

Grant
4th-August-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Wendy
Had a great day and party night !!! Muscles still recovering - can hardly even change gear without an "ouch"..... can't wait to practise the new moves...

Thanks !!!

Wxxx
i know exactly what you mean. :D
as far as trying out those new moves tonight goes, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak (and complaining bitterly):sick:

Grant

azande
4th-August-2003, 03:07 PM
For anyone interested there are a few photos on the BoogieNights website.

http://boogie.webspace.fish.co.uk/photos7.htm

Thanks Lindsay for the great day and party.

I have to admit that Peter's music was a fantastic surprise!!! And DD's wasn't a surprise but equally good!!

And the BS were extraordinary. (but then again I am biased!:wink: )

Lindsay
4th-August-2003, 03:55 PM
Cheers for the kind comments... & for coming!

Thanks to Peter, Jocelyne, Steve, Sheena, Chris, Amanda, and Graham for their great classes, and also Peter/Dance Demon for the superb music!!

Nice pic of Tramp & Sheena don't you think??

TheTramp
4th-August-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay
Nice pic of Tramp & Sheena don't you think?? Great.

Except for the fact that I'm in it!!

Steve

Dance Demon
4th-August-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by azande

I have to admit that Peter's music was a fantastic surprise!!! And DD's wasn't a surprise but equally good!!

An

Cheers Azande, I had a great time dancing to some of Peters stuff too. I wasn't sure if he was going to do a stint on the decks, and I had kept some good stuff back for later, but he played some of it anyway, and it gave me a chance to boogie:waycool: I got some nice comments on my set from Peter, which was nice from someone of his reputation as a DJ. It's always nice to see people dance to something different that you have played, and then come up and ask you what it was. It makes all those hours listening and searching for new stuff all the more rewarding.

Franck
4th-August-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay
Nice pic of Tramp & Sheena don't you think?? Yeah... and is this another pair of strokeable trousers??? :drool:

We need to be told :wink:

Franck.

Just in case the Tramp gets the wrong idea, I meant Sheena's trousers :D

Tiggerbabe
4th-August-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Franck
Yeah... and is this another pair of strokeable trousers??? :drool:

Nah - this was just a pair of extremely stretchable trousers - I'm saving the strokeables for a something special - Perth maybe :wink:

TheTramp
4th-August-2003, 05:35 PM
Nah - this was just a pair of extremely stretchable trousers - I'm saving the strokeables for a something special - Perth maybe :wink: I stroked them anyhow :wink:

Steve

Tiggerbabe
4th-August-2003, 05:48 PM
but you chatted to me at the door for a few minutes at lunchtime. Come on Tigger, think about it girl...!

AHA! But if you are, who I think you are, then you now have me confused on another issue - a PM I think is needed to resolve this

:D

Tiggerbabe
4th-August-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I stroked them anyhow :wink:

Steve

so when you told me that that was an integral part of the move and absolutely necessary for safety - you were "stretching" the truth?:reallymad :blush:

TheTramp
4th-August-2003, 06:11 PM
so when you told me that that was an integral part of the move and absolutely necessary for safety - you were "stretching" the truth?:reallymad :blush: Not at all. Would I do that to you?? :devil:

:rolleyes:

Steve

Tiggerbabe
4th-August-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Not at all. Would I do that to you?? :devil:

:rolleyes:

Steve

Ehrm! .................*thinks for a minute*.............yes!:eek:

Dr. Feelgood
4th-August-2003, 07:02 PM
Now you have me at a disadvantage Mr Brush as you know who I am - which one (exactly) were you?

Sorry, Sheena, looks like my reliable information about BB being "an old guy with white hair" was wrong...

Tiggerbabe
4th-August-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Feelgood
Sorry, Sheena, looks like my reliable information about BB being "an old guy with white hair" was wrong...

Does - doesn't it? :wink:

4th-August-2003, 08:36 PM
AHA! But if you are, who I think you are, then you now have me confused on another issue - a PM I think is needed to resolve this

:D

No no no- out in the open is fine. But PM me by all means should you have something intimate to share, I understand..... :blush: What was the other issue that confused you?

Tiggerbabe
5th-August-2003, 12:39 AM
No no no- out in the open is fine. ..............What was the other issue that confused you?

Well, I'm sorry to have to admit it :sorry but it's all to do with sex :wink:

Dr. Feelgood
5th-August-2003, 12:57 AM
So Basil is really a vixen?

5th-August-2003, 10:28 AM
sorry but it's all to do with sex :wink:

:eek: Sheena- shhhhhhhhh- now everyone knows about my small member.

I knew I couldn't trust the Tramp... after a few pints I think I let it slip. But he said- don't worry Basil, your secret's safe with me. NEVER TRUST THE TRAMP!

5th-August-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Feelgood
So Basil is really a vixen?

No certainly not, but I'll keep you guessing.

I think I know who you are- regular dancer- Thursday night Ceroc in Edinburgh???

TheTramp
5th-August-2003, 10:51 AM
I wasn't in their class, no..... but you chatted to me at the door for a few minutes at lunchtime. Come on Tigger, think about it girl...! Actually Basil, I think that you gave it away yourself....

Steve

5th-August-2003, 11:00 AM
Tigger was commenting on my combats... now she MUST know!

But keep it close to your chest ok :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
5th-August-2003, 11:03 AM
NO no no - OUT him in Public :)

Everyone knows who I am, so being anonymous isn't allowed :D (or anonyfox for that matter :) )

5th-August-2003, 11:05 AM
I don't..... who are you, Smurf boy?

Tiggerbabe
5th-August-2003, 05:59 PM
But he said- don't worry Basil, your secret's safe with me. NEVER TRUST THE TRAMP!

Ah but you should, your secret was safe with him! I even offered to torture him but to no avail..............:wink:

Tiggerbabe
5th-August-2003, 06:05 PM
Tigger was commenting on my combats... now she MUST know!

Yes, she does, she does :hug:

NO no no - OUT him in Public

Ehrm, Mr Smurf - have you NOT been paying attention ? :wink:

Kiwi_Tim
5th-August-2003, 06:16 PM
she does, she does
but the guessing continues for the rest of us (well, at least for me at any rate)!! :D

p.s. I can't see any 'combats' in the photos to help me out...I had a camo t-shirt on in the afternoon but hopefully I'm not actually Basil... But I coudln't be because I don't sound anything like a fox when I open my mouth....

5th-August-2003, 06:31 PM
Temporarily out of action.

Dr. Feelgood
5th-August-2003, 06:54 PM
No certainly not, but I'll keep you guessing.

I think I know who you are- regular dancer- Thursday night Ceroc in Edinburgh???

Who, me?

Lounge Lizard
5th-August-2003, 09:05 PM
Hi, Jive extra's was my first visit to the Scotland dance scene and it was great, well done Lindsay. I'm looking forward to my next visit, which is Glasgow in Settember.

Chris
8th-August-2003, 09:09 AM
It seems a shame to say anything that might spoil what was such a lovely event, but I wanted to post a quick note on the background to how we came to teach a workshop in case anyone thinks I'm getting a bit above myself.

Lindsay invited me to do a 'filler' class to take some of the time pressure off the two main teachers, who are *way* above my level. She had noticed we'd done a class called Spectacular Moves at the Bognor Jive Gathering and asked us to do one at Jive Extras.

I'm not overly fond of teaching (anything). The only reason we did a class at Bognor was because there are certain techniques we use that are not commonly available and we wanted to share them. We also included kinetic imagery (a style technique) as that's not being taught by anyone at all in jive and we wanted to offer something new for any very advanced dancers who came (and there were a few, especially at Bognor). Some of the results were visibly transforming and we were overjoyed that people had found it so useful.

I'm not an experienced dance teacher, although I've had plenty of experience as a workshop leader in other fields, which I think helps. Neither do I think I'm a great dancer - the most I've ever won is a bronze and I think there was a lot of luck in that! I don't think you have to be better than everyone else to teach, just to have something that people want, and to be able to teach it reasonably well. Most of the people who came to our workshop in Bognor could have taught me more than I could teach them, but they are the first to admit they don't know everything and teaching then is simply sharing something you value with somebody else. (I'm not an authority on dancing so I don't try to teach what I don't know.) At Bognor most of the very experienced teachers were overwhelmingly supportive - only a few looked as if they thought we might be invading their territory.

Years ago in Edinburgh we used to have informal workshops where groups of us would just get together, pay a pound each to cover the cost of the room, and share ideas and moves. It's a great way to share, but going to each other's classes is another way of sharing knowledge. I've still got hundreds to learn - the more I learn the more I learn I need to learn more.

Here are some of the comments from during or after our class at Jive Extras which convince me it wasn't in vain:

"Thank goodness someone's teaching this!"

"We women appreciate this because no-one's ever shown us how to do drops and laybacks properly!" (generic balancing techniques)

"The teaching style reminds me of Australian Ceroc - it was great!" (at least I took that as a compliment, which is how I think it was meant).

I hope I'm not up myself and I don't put myself in the same bracket as experienced teachers, just like sharing occasionally.

Dreadful Scathe
8th-August-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Chris
I hope I'm not up myself and I don't put myself in the same bracket as experienced teachers, just like sharing occasionally.

Well said indeed !

Dreadful Scathe
8th-August-2003, 08:53 PM
'Well said indeed' - is a compliment Chris, after what seemed to be quite a gracious post. I take it from your Private Message you took it as an insult instead. Im not in the habit of insulting people, and most people don't assume posts on this forum are an insult by default. Can i say 'Lighten up!' and have it taken as a friendly couple of words meaning 'ease back, we're not all out to get you' ?

Chris
9th-August-2003, 06:26 AM
Thanks Scathe - post taken in the spirit given - thanks for clarifying, and much appreciated.

Lounge Lizard
9th-August-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
It's always nice to see people dance to something different that you have played, and then come up and ask you what it wasPlease remind me what was the name of the Kenny G track?

Tiggerbabe
10th-August-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
Please remind me what was the name of the Kenny G track?

Was it Havana? - I love that track :drool: :drool: although Mr Demon told me about another fab Kenny G one and I've forgotten what he called it. So I'm eagerly awaiting his reply to your question :D

(And before anyone gives me a row for being up at this time of the morning - we went to "Sleepless in Sauchiehall St", for a coffee and some superb pancakes with maple syrup, after the Glasgow party - chatted for a bit longer than we should, I'm not long home and now I'm not sleepy at all :D :innocent: )

Dance Demon
10th-August-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
Please remind me what was the name of the Kenny G track?

It's called "Gettin on the step" from the album "The Moment"...same album as Havana, which I also love. Will play it at Perth for you Sheena:D :hug:

Tiggerbabe
10th-August-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
It's called "Gettin on the step" .................. Will play it at Perth for you Sheena:D :hug:

Thanks DD :blush: you're a sweetie :kiss: