My brave hubby held me in thrall:
He had tickets in hand;
There would be a live band!
...Then he found he'd been scheduled "on call."

Undaunted, he bartered with mates.
Trading duties, he thwarted cruel fate!
Then I twisted my knee.
Typical! I and he
Although married, can't manage one date!

H*ll - we'll go! :D Happy as a teenager!
Forumites there will stare, I will wager
You will recognize me:
I'm the one with the knee-
brace. My husband's the one with the pager! :what:

...actually, it is a non-Ceroc event (sharp intake of breath)
so I will probably have to wait to meet some of you.
Please wish us luck! :flower:

angelique
23rd-May-2007, 09:44 AM
Good Luck...er , where are you going?

JCB
24th-May-2007, 09:50 AM
Sorry about this thread. I posted it when I was over-tired and stressed-out. In such a state, I tend to write limericks :sick:- don't know why.
I have to admit that I was fishing for encouraging words: because of the injury and the extended on-call duty, (amongst other obstacles), we haven’t been to a lesson in 2 weeks, and have only managed a little light practice at home. We've decided to go anyway, because we figured, worse comes to worse, we can just listen to the music, and see what a more formal Ball is like, even if we can only manage a couple of dances together.
So: is this a Really Bad Idea? Or am I getting panicky over nothing?

Has anyone got any advice about faux-pas for first-timers?

And perhaps some kind-hearted moderator will remove the limerick? Until then, please ignore the doggerel. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Thank you - :flower:

DD+
24th-May-2007, 11:14 AM
Has anyone got any advice about faux-pas for first-timers?

Thank you - :flower:

Yep i think the best piece of advice i can offer is .....dont panic -ENJOY IT!!:clap:

:flower:

purplehyacinth
24th-May-2007, 09:04 PM
My advice can be summarised as follows:

- A well-chosen, reasonably long skirt hides a knee-brace nicely.

More important:

- Go along
- Enjoy yourselves.

Hope you have a great time.

And don't delete the limericks: I thought they were a nice touch.

JCB
25th-May-2007, 03:57 PM
Hello SW - thank you for the rep, although encouraging me to write my dreadful limericks is generally a bad idea, and I plan to resist the urge as much as possible. One problem: I have no idea who you are, could you please PM? :cheers:
and,
Thanks everyone for your encouragement! :hug:

Lynn
25th-May-2007, 04:54 PM
I have to admit that I was fishing for encouraging words: because of the injury and the extended on-call duty, (amongst other obstacles), we haven’t been to a lesson in 2 weeks, and have only managed a little light practice at home. We've decided to go anyway, because we figured, worse comes to worse, we can just listen to the music, and see what a more formal Ball is like, even if we can only manage a couple of dances together.
So: is this a Really Bad Idea? Or am I getting panicky over nothing? Just go and enjoy yourselves!

The first freestyle I ever attended was the Fri night of the first Southport weekender and I felt a little out of my depth so I know how you feel. My tip is to go with exactly the attitude you have, not putting expectations or pressure on yourselves and just dance as much or as little as you want. As you say you can enjoy the music and watching others, and then get up and dance with others if youwant to. Its entirely up to you - just have fun!

JCB
30th-May-2007, 11:49 PM
:hug: :hug: :worthy: :hug: :hug: :worthy: :hug: :hug:
Great big hugs and “thank you”s to everyone who helped boost my confidence. I did have a great evening: scary, but not nearly as scary as I’d feared. And the band were amazing (but that has been covered in another thread). I didn’t have the nerve to wear my new strapless (partly general nerves, partly because a friend teased: “giving the old bingo wings an airing?”:rofl:…she was only joking, but I got the phrase “on the brain,” so I opted for something more conservative) Never mind. Because that means I have something new to wear to the next Ball!:clap: