PDA

View Full Version : Knock me down with a feather, the rumour is true...

TA Guy
20th-May-2007, 10:34 AM
Bit of news, This will only interest those who live or dance in the central South coast. Particularly in Southampton and surrounding areas.

The rumours have been flying around for almost two years or so, and it turns out in essence they are true. Now it's officially gone public locally. My independant franchise has only gone and invested somewhere in the region of a quarter of a million pounds in a custom built dance hall. well, dedicated dance center really. Opening at the end of July.

Really large, much more Camber size than local church hall, proper 'professional' dance floor. Custom built stage/screens for dance teaching, heavy duty air conditioning. Bar, discrete wall mounted shelving all round for drinks with poser stools, comfy seating with tables, the works. Dancing of some style every night of the week. (please, please let there be a WCS night and a COZ night :))

Wonder if they'll let me live there ? :)

DavidY
20th-May-2007, 11:24 AM
It's a bit too far from me. :sad: But I really hope it's successful though, as it may set a precedent for dance organisers elsewhere. ;)

There have been threads about this before, describing what forumites want in their perfect venue (I know because I started one of them - although I don't think I imagined that anyone would actually build one :respect:) :
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/5898-perfect-venue.html
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/1398-ideal-dance-venues.html

Maybe we should suggest that this franchisee reads them..:whistle:

Tiggerbabe
20th-May-2007, 11:31 AM
Maybe we should suggest that this franchisee reads them..:whistle:
Maybe, they already did :wink: :clap:

straycat
20th-May-2007, 03:31 PM
Bit of news, This will only interest those who live or dance in the central South coast. Particularly in Southampton and surrounding areas.

Is this the 'M' word again?:really:

TA Guy
20th-May-2007, 04:45 PM
Is this the 'M' word again?:really:

I'm afraid so :)

I just had a thought, they are 'M people' !!! :devil: :devil:

TA Guy
16th-July-2007, 11:25 AM
Seating area yet to be installed, but here's the new hall.

Gotta say it's an impressive effort.

straycat
16th-July-2007, 11:33 AM
I want one!

Sheepman
16th-July-2007, 02:10 PM
Sounds amazing, and presumably it will give the area a focus for dance excellence.

My independant franchise has only gone and invested somewhere in the region of a quarter of a million pounds in a custom built dance hall. That's the other amazing thing, how could they do it, especially in the south, for the price of a one bed flat round here. I'll have 2 please!

Greg

TA Guy
17th-July-2007, 10:00 AM
That's the other amazing thing, how could they do it, especially in the south, for the price of a one bed flat round here. I'll have 2 please!

Greg

I've been thinking about that. It does sound cheap. I presume the fact that it's really a warehouse/factory building with a swish interior takes the price down. Plus, presumably they got grants from the arts council, lottery, development agencies or whatever.

I want one too. For the back garden :)

TA Guy
13th-July-2008, 11:19 AM
Thought I'd just update this thread now it's been one year...

Mojive's one year anniversary bash for this Southampton venue was this saturday. Interesting to see how to hall has changed. Much less functional and a much 'warmer' atmosphere.

Excellent 'do' enlivened by the fact that the venue was upto it's full quota of 250 before 9pm and most who couldn't get in relocated a mile down the road to the Totton suburb to dance at the rival DYD event. Then, at 11:30pm'ish when freestyles do tend to start emptying, those who ventured down to Totton returned to chance their arm at getting in at Mojive with it's later 1am finish. Turned out to be a great way to give an event that extra 'oomph' at the end and re-invigorate it when everybody is starting to wind down. I recommend all organisers arrange this :whistle:

Event itself was excellent. Amazing number of 'out of town' visitors from afar afield as Yorkshire no less! That doesn't happen often :)

Lost Leader
13th-July-2008, 01:09 PM
It's good to see the apparent success of this venture. I've been hankering after a visit to this purpose built venue since it opened and, if everything goes according to plan, I will finally make it for the 16 August free-style.

TA Guy
14th-July-2008, 10:15 AM
It's good to see the apparent success of this venture. I've been hankering after a visit to this purpose built venue since it opened and, if everything goes according to plan, I will finally make it for the 16 August free-style.

Wish I could guarantee you a good night, but there's a hell of a turf war down here right now with another attempt by Ceroc (they will be 4/5 minutes down the road that night) to infiltrate Southampton :) The freestyle crowd has learn't to be very mobile over the last six months or so when free nights and stuff pop up :)

JiveLad
14th-July-2008, 10:31 AM

The times I've been, I have to say, I have been disappointed. Something about the place. On paper - and even when you first see it - you think "wow - this has to be good". There is something missing - call it 'vibe', 'craic' - or just 'atmosphere'......during the week, there were just a handful of people left by closing time (never a good sign....).

It is so close though (to being a good venue).......it just needs that something extra. One put off for me is the sound system. It's way too 'boomy'/loud for the venue. And I did remember the DJ playing that JiveBunny-esque compilation of 20 rock'n'roll hits in 3 minutes. :sick:

Trousers
14th-July-2008, 11:52 AM
The West Quay venue is getting an atmosphere now. The better decor helps a lot and the monday and thursday nights seem pretty good. A world apart from when they first opened thats for sure.

I remember talking to Katie Baxter of RebelRoc fame and she told me it would take a year to establish a venue. I've also seen it take longer.

philsmove
14th-July-2008, 02:39 PM
...There is something missing - call it 'vibe', 'craic' - or just 'atmosphere'......:

How can a new venue have atmosphere

The flowing seem to be perquisite for a really good atmosphere

It got to be hot and sticky, so you can’t possibility have air conditioning

There has to be at least one hole or trap door in the floor, preferably both

The floor around the bar should nice and sticky

The decorations should be completely inappropriate and ideally left over from a previous event

And the toilets, well I wont go there and I don’t recommend you do ether

Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against modern venues, and this place does look amazingly good but they rarely have atmosphere

JiveLad
14th-July-2008, 05:20 PM
How can a new venue have atmosphere

The flowing seem to be perquisite for a really good atmosphere

It got to be hot and sticky, so you can’t possibility have air conditioning

There has to be at least one hole or trap door in the floor, preferably both

The floor around the bar should nice and sticky

The decorations should be completely inappropriate and ideally left over from a previous event

And the toilets, well I wont go there and I don’t recommend you do ether

Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against modern venues, and this place does look amazingly good but they rarely have atmosphere

Yes - and there is also something about the smell......like a nice pub. which triggers good memories. Ashtons had a definite smell as soon as you walked in the door - you got a sense of history - of great times people had in decades past - relationships formed and broken, people laughing, having new experiences - great sights on stage etc..............

The West Quay venue didn't smell of anything much as I remember...

Icey
20th-July-2008, 08:08 PM
Well, having found this thread Mr Darcy and I will be down at some point - my best friend lives at Eastleigh so I can do two great things in one weekend :D

Will be keeping an eye peeled for events there and hope to meet some forumites should we make it!

Lost Leader
18th-August-2008, 11:14 AM
Mojive free-style 16 August 2008 - review

Finally got myself and a couple of fellow dancers down to Southampton to check out this purpose built MJ venue.

Good things
Tickets were only £2; great floor (up there with the very best); clean and spacious toilets; friendly staff, lots of chairs and bar-stools; handy hooks for coats, towels etc; very long shelf along one wall to put drinks on; not too crowded on this particular night; nice decor and lighting; big video screens; easy to park in adjacent streets; decent bar facilities.

Needs more work
The much vaunted air conditioning seemed a bit feeble. Not the hottest venue I have been in but not the coolest either and this was a relatively cool evening. Fact that 6 fans were also deployed was good but suggests air conditioning is not really up to the job. This is a bit disappointing for a venue specifically designed and built for modern jive.

Surprisingly poor
Whoever was DJ'ing ran all the tracks into one another club style and played too many fast or very fast club and rock and roll tracks IMO. The music overall was certainly not the worst I have ever heard but surely in a purpose built MJ venue that has been running for a year, something as basic as getting your DJ's not to run tracks into one another should have been sorted out. Maybe this wasn't one of the regular DJ's.

Overall I did have an enjoyable night's dancing. It wasn't a sell out (I estimate that attendance peaked around 150) but that meant the floor was never too crowded. It was also interesting to dance where nearly everyone was a stranger and I had some very enjoyable dances. Everyone I danced with was friendly, the general atmosphere was great and I saw no evidence of any hot shottyness. I can see why they have bar stools in the sense that they don't intrude much into the dance floor but I found them a bit uncomfortable to sit on. There are however also areas of more conventional seating, sofas etc.

On the whole then this venture seems to have been a success but there is still room for improvement. I would like to visit again at a different time of year (August is after all a very slack month for dancing). I gather that some class nights here are extremely well attended and some frees styles have also been sell outs so I wouldn't want to pass full judgment on the basis of just one August visit.

Cruella
18th-August-2008, 12:12 PM
. Ashtons had a definite smell as soon as you walked in the door .

It smelt of wet dog! Not really the best smell for a dance venue.

TA Guy
18th-August-2008, 01:26 PM
Always interesting to read balanced reviews of local venues. :)

Good things
Tickets were only £2; great floor (up there with the very best); clean and spacious toilets; friendly staff, lots of chairs and bar-stools; handy hooks for coats, towels etc; very long shelf along one wall to put drinks on; not too crowded on this particular night; nice decor and lighting; big video screens; easy to park in adjacent streets; decent bar facilities.

Floor is fantastic. One or two find it a little over slippery, but for any half decent dancer, great floor.
The decor and stuff is much better than it was, my only complaint is I wish the stage was either mobile, folded up, or down the end. It kinda splits the hall in two a bit. On a busy night it doens't matter, but it's noticeable when numbers are down.

Needs more work
The much vaunted air conditioning seemed a bit feeble. Not the hottest venue I have been in but not the coolest either and this was a relatively cool evening. Fact that 6 fans were also deployed was good but suggests air conditioning is not really up to the job. This is a bit disappointing for a venue specifically designed and built for modern jive.

I must admit I tend to sit in the seats nearest the entrance on the stage side, they are below the air conditioning and we get a nice breeze :)
I understand the air is completely replaced every 4/5 minutes or something, but even on a 'cool' evening all those bodies warm it up incredibly quick.
Apparently a 'chiller' is actually on the list, but costs in the region of £18,000, so don't hold yer breath.

Surprisingly poor
Whoever was DJ'ing ran all the tracks into one another club style and played too many fast or very fast club and rock and roll tracks IMO. The music overall was certainly not the worst I have ever heard but surely in a purpose built MJ venue that has been running for a year, something as basic as getting your DJ's not to run tracks into one another should have been sorted out. Maybe this wasn't one of the regular DJ's.

No... no.... NO.... don't get me started !.... Doh! Too late...

Firstly, let me say I have never noticed the 'running in of tracks', but maybe I am just used to it or something.
Also, Mojive music is just about perfect for lesson nights. It's music at the right pace, very well known, with a well-defined beat. Great for beginners.

That said....

Mojive freestyle music (request nights aside), is unremittingly ABYSMAL.
Once your been dancing at Mojive for six months or whatever your personal limit is, the lack of variation, constant overplaying of tracks and just general 'stuck in a 130bpm rut' saps the soul.
Complaints have been made, but while occasionally things are tried, basically Mojive freestyle music sucks. Tho it does help if you've got a bit of energy in your dancing and can keep up :)

...It wasn't a sell out (I estimate that attendance peaked around 150)... ...Everyone I danced with was friendly, the general atmosphere was great and I saw no evidence of any hot shottyness...

...I would like to visit again at a different time of year (August is after all a very slack month for dancing). I gather that some class nights here are extremely well attended and some frees styles have also been sell outs so I wouldn't want to pass full judgment on the basis of just one August visit.

110-120 of us were five minutes down the road at the Ceroc freestyle, I was on a WCS promise :) We have a bit of a turf war going on down here. Good in some ways, but it splits everyone up which is a shame.

Yes, Mojive as a rule is quite a friendly franchise, both punters and staff. Hotshots are few and far between I'm glad to say.

I remember going to a lesson night on a Wednesday, tradtionally the worse night down here, when the venue opened, and being one of 30. Things have changed somewhat in a year. Numbers this coming winter are going to be interesting.

And I must point out that nowhere in your post did your review the smell !!! :eek:

TA Guy
15th-November-2008, 12:49 PM
After 2/3 weeks of strong rumours, interesting development down here that can be confirmed on the Mo'jive, Cerocfever or Ceroclive web sites.

This new West Quay venue has been so successful that Mojive has sold the rest of it's MJ franchise.

Phil of Mojive has sold off six lesson nights and six freestyle nights to Ceroclive (Bournmouth, Hamworthy) and Cerocfever (The Hub, Minstead, Portsmouth, Bramshaw). Effectively what he has done is sell everything except this West Quay venue and the Totton freestyle which is just five mins down the road from WQ. It's the first time Ceroc has had anything other than a pitiful presence down here since Ceroc South became Mojive.

Interesting times.

The Ceroc and Mojive 'models' are slightly different, we wait to see whether Ceroc will barge in like a bull and try and change what is probably the most successful UK MJ organisation outside Ceroc itself. Some might argue even more successful in some limited ways.

Maddy
16th-November-2008, 09:36 AM
Yes it is all true and this is Richard from Ceroc Live. If there are any existing mojivers who like particular music tracks then please do suggest them as we would like the transition to be as smooth as possible and whilst we do play a large variety of different types of music it may be that there are quite a few which aren't that familiar so we are happy to accommodate.

Let us know:waycool:

Richard & Maddy
Ceroc Live

Lee Bartholomew
16th-November-2008, 12:23 PM
The people in that area are lucky. Mojive West Quay is one of the best venues I have been too. Some great Freestyles. Also having Richard from Ceroc Live and Richard, Jo and Drew from Ceroc Fever on their doorsteps, they will never have nowhere to go or any substandard teachers.

Maybe I should move to Southampton.

Lory
16th-November-2008, 02:15 PM
six freestyle nights to Ceroclive

I read that and thought... I wonder who Clive is :confused:

:doh::rofl:

TA Guy
18th-November-2008, 12:55 PM
The people in that area are lucky. Mojive West Quay is one of the best venues I have been too. Some great Freestyles. Also having Richard from Ceroc Live and Richard, Jo and Drew from Ceroc Fever on their doorsteps, they will never have nowhere to go or any substandard teachers.

Maybe :)

The start of this 'change' has not been too auspicious tho.

Last Saturdays freestyle at Totton was cancelled without notice. The Cerocfever web site confirmed the date and the venue were confirming it was on. Unfort nobody from Cerocfever turned up and according to the bar staff, there was a steady trickle of people arriving to dance. Many unhappy peeps including me. The response from Cerocfever to their web site advertising this freestyle as 'on' seems to be to ignore the cockup.

This fridays 2room freestyle at The Hub has been cancelled because Ceroclive haven't managed to get their act together re: staff. This is not good as the vast majority of the 200 odd attendees are Mojivers, many from the Soton end, not the Ceroclive/Bournemouthe end, and many probably will not know this has happened as they do not attend Ceroclive classes, and are not on the ceroclive email list etc.

It's looking a long way from good so far. :(

At least the Bournemouth Pavilion freestyle is still going ahead on Saturday. This freestyle can touch 300 people attending. I know who the DJ is going to be and his musical preference.... and I know the crowd that normally go and their musical preference.... It's going to be interesting :devil: I'm looking forward to it :)

Olly
18th-November-2008, 10:02 PM
Maybe :)

The start of this 'change' has not been too auspicious tho.

Last Saturdays freestyle at Totton was cancelled without notice. The Cerocfever web site confirmed the date and the venue were confirming it was on. Unfort nobody from Cerocfever turned up and according to the bar staff, there was a steady trickle of people arriving to dance. Many unhappy peeps including me. The response from Cerocfever to their web site advertising this freestyle as 'on' seems to be to ignore the cockup.

This is Richard from Ceroc Fever and my first post on the forum.

The Totton Freestyle on Saturday was a Mo'Jive event and had nothing to do with Ceroc Fever. Without going into all the details, we were contractually obliged to hand over all the Totton freestyles that we ran (including the November event) as part of the arrangement with Mo'jive. Further to this, during the transition period, all parties agreed to continue to list events that they previously operated which is why it remained on our website. We advised people via e-mail and at our venues that the Totton freestyle event was now operated by Mo'Jive. So, it was not a case of Ceroc Fever not turning up as it was not our event to run.

The confusion over the Freestyle must have been really frustrating for all and if we had known the event was not being run then of course we would have removed it from our listings.

We would never be a 'no show' to any event we were responsible for.

Sugarfoot
18th-November-2008, 10:40 PM
This fridays 2room freestyle at The Hub has been cancelled because Ceroclive haven't managed to get their act together re: staff. This is not good as the vast majority of the 200 odd attendees are Mojivers, many from the Soton end, not the Ceroclive/Bournemouthe end, and many probably will not know this has happened as they do not attend Ceroclive classes, and are not on the ceroclive email list etc.

It's looking a long way from good so far. :(

Not defending anyone, but for one reason or another I think the change over did not happen on the original set date. When it finally happened it caught everyone one out at short notice. The Hub is a fantastic venue, but very expensive and needs to be marketed properly. I have spoken to Maddy (Ceroc Live) and they seem keen to promote the venue and make it work. Rather than go in half cocked, a decision was made to cancel the Nov event and really make an effort to promote the event in December. I am hoping to continue DJing the Studio 100 room, playing alternative music, but it does need the support of the dancers who like alternative music for WCS, Blues, Tango etc. otherwise only the main hall will be used.

At least the Bournemouth Pavilion freestyle is still going ahead on Saturday. This freestyle can touch 300 people attending. I know who the DJ is going to be and his musical preference.... and I know the crowd that normally go and their musical preference.... It's going to be interesting :devil: I'm looking forward to it

Hmm, I wonder who the DJ could be? :D

TA Guy
18th-November-2008, 11:34 PM

The Totton Freestyle on Saturday was a Mo'Jive event and had nothing to do with Ceroc Fever. Without going into all the details, we were contractually obliged to hand over all the Totton freestyles that we ran (including the November event) as part of the arrangement with Mo'jive. Further to this, during the transition period, all parties agreed to continue to list events that they previously operated which is why it remained on our website. We advised people via e-mail and at our venues that the Totton freestyle event was now operated by Mo'Jive. So, it was not a case of Ceroc Fever not turning up as it was not our event to run.

The confusion over the Freestyle must have been really frustrating for all and if we had known the event was not being run then of course we would have removed it from our listings.

We would never be a 'no show' to any event we were responsible for.

I'm sure that's all true, but be aware that the "details", the contract between you and Mojive, the "arrangements"... none of these are your customers concern.

As far as your customers as concerned, your web site still had freestyle as 'on' and it was presented in exactly the same way as all your other freestyles run by you.
Regardless of the behind the scenes arrangements between you and Mojive, your web site caused a wasted journey and wasted money for lots of people. That is what you should be addressing, the disappointed customers, not trying to shift the blame.

TA Guy
18th-November-2008, 11:44 PM
I have spoken to Maddy (Ceroc Live) and they seem keen to promote the venue and make it work. Rather than go in half cocked, a decision was made to cancel the Nov event

*shrug* I hope so, I like the freestyle. We all know how dangerous "taking a break" is for numbers and this will be the second Hub freestyle on the trot to bite the dust. Even half-cocked is better than sod-all sometimes.

Hmm, I wonder who the DJ could be? :D

I wonder ? :popcorn:
:)

David Bailey
19th-November-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi Richard, and welcome :)

I wonder ? :popcorn::)
What are you two wibbling on about?

ant
19th-November-2008, 12:07 PM
What are you two wibbling on about?

It seems to me that TA Guy is having a rant and with some justification it appears (DB you would be screaming from the roof tops if you turned up to an advertised freestyle that was not on and not even anybody there to explain why) and Olly is trying to pacify him and not doing a very good job of it.

If I were you Olly I would stop trying to shift blame and hand out a few admit ones with an apology. I would appreciate that if I was TA Guy or any of your other (ex?)customers that turned up.

David Bailey
19th-November-2008, 12:14 PM
It seems to me that TA Guy is having a rant and with some justification it appears ... and Olly is trying to pacify him and not doing a very good job of it.
Sure - but I was talking about this Mystery DJ thing.

(DB you would be screaming from the roof tops if you turned up to an advertised freestyle that was not on and not even anybody there to explain why)
I would indeed - there's still such a thing as a strongly-worded letter to the Times, you know :D

Olly, for your reference, we have a "Cancellations and Urgent Notifications" section here:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Feel free to use it if needed - it may help get the word out in future.

Sugarfoot
19th-November-2008, 03:43 PM
*shrug* I hope so, I like the freestyle. We all know how dangerous "taking a break" is for numbers and this will be the second Hub freestyle on the trot to bite the dust. Even half-cocked is better than sod-all sometimes.
:)

Oct was not cancelled, it was never booked in first place. Mojive could not get a date in Oct when booking at the beginning of the year. But I do personally agree that a gap causes problems in building the numbers up.

Sugarfoot
19th-November-2008, 03:51 PM
Sure - but I was talking about this Mystery DJ thing.

It is me David, trying not to self promote...oh dam I ve done it now.

Like most DJs, I have been pigeon holed. Most see me as an alterative DJ. TA Guy is refering to what will happen when I DJ a main room like the Bournemouth Pavilion. :D

I am actually looking forward to it as a change.

DJ Andy
19th-November-2008, 09:34 PM
I hope it goes well for you Sugarfoot!

Lost Leader
19th-November-2008, 09:55 PM
I went to the Mojive West Quay venue back in the summer for the first time - quite a lot of things did impress me about this new purpose built MJ venue but there was still room for improvement imo.

Let's hope that all these changes mean that the owners of the WQ venue have more time and money now to concentrate on fixing the things that need improving. Top of the list for me are;

1. Improving the standard of DJ - when I was there whoever was DJ'ing played too much very fast stuff, ran most the tracks into one another and talked between the rest.

2. Upping the standard of the air conditioning - for a purpose built MJ venue it wasn't great. I have certainly been to venues that were not purpose built for dancing in the recent past that have had more effective air con.

I understand that the venue is usually packed but with more competition in the area now customers may get a little harder to please.

When I visit this venue again sometime next year and it will be interesting to see how things might have changed.