PDA

View Full Version : Attitude, UFOs and Life's Other Mysteries Explained

StokeBloke
16th-May-2007, 01:39 PM
In the short time I've been dancing I have picked up and understood most of the buzzwords that are bandied about. But the definition of one has eluded me thus far. What are people talking about when they use the word 'attitude' in relation to your dancing style?

I have heard a 'teacher' telling a class to "stamp at the break to give yourself attitude" for example. This confused me as I thought attitude was meant to be a good thing and I think that stamping in the breaks just makes you look like you're killing cockroaches! :eek:

The question is simple (so I am guessing the answer is proportionally complex), what is attitude in this context?

Jamie
16th-May-2007, 01:43 PM
I've never heard stamp your foot on a break before! :what:

However by "attitude" it basically means, don't blend into the background, present yourself by doing something a little different, hold your self differently and use arms instead of leaving them by your side.. That kind of thing.

Footwork is good, but no stamping please stokie or I'll have to do that thing again :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-May-2007, 01:44 PM
I would say attitude is mentioned because so many who dance don't have one - in other words if you dance with some emotion, any emotion, rather than just string some moves together, it looks much MUCH better. :)

Lee Bartholomew
16th-May-2007, 01:47 PM
suddenly got "is this the way to Ammarillo" going on in my head. Why do people always stamp during the clapping bit? Why do DJ's play it?

Why oh why oh why:sad:

drathzel
16th-May-2007, 01:48 PM
Footwork is good, but no stamping please stokie or I'll have to do that thing again :devil:

no bouncing either babes, isnt that right:rofl:

MartinHarper
16th-May-2007, 02:22 PM
What is attitude in this context?

In my mind, it's short for "bad attitude". Think of your favourite "action hero" from the movies, or a Wild West cowboy, or a "Pro Wrestler", or some such. Urban dances have lots of attitude. Waltz, not so much.

I thought attitude was meant to be a good thing and I think that stamping in the breaks just makes you look like you're killing cockroaches!

The idea isn't that you stamp in every single break. It should be a stylistic choice that fits the mood of the current dance and song.

FoxyFunkster
16th-May-2007, 02:25 PM
The question is simple (so I am guessing the answer is proportionally complex), what is attitude in this context?

I think it`s more of an approach to dancing rather than and term designed for a particular move or break in the music etc etc.....if you watch the dance floor you can see who dances with attitude and who doesn`t...either way it it`s all good....all that really matters is that your having fun..........

StokeBloke
16th-May-2007, 02:27 PM
Maybe I like that thing :whistle:

fletch
16th-May-2007, 03:47 PM

:rofl:

I know a man that stamps :na:

well I know a few actually :blush: but one in particular :whistle: :D

Maybe I like that thing :whistle:

but we don't like stamping
:mad:

stamping was been taught at Utoipa recently :eek:

StokeBloke
16th-May-2007, 04:01 PM
stamping was been taught at Utoipa recently :eek:
Was that MJ stamping or blues stamping? Because for blues stamping you don't lift either foot off of the floor :wink:

Mac
16th-May-2007, 06:38 PM
Was that MJ stamping or blues stamping? Because for blues stamping you don't lift either foot off of the floor :wink:

Mac
16th-May-2007, 06:42 PM

You've never had to stop in a hurry my lad!!:whistle:

[/quote]Footwork is good, but no stamping please stokie or I'll have to do that thing again :devil:[/quote]

What thing ?? do tell :what: are we missing out on something:confused: - Jealouse now:mad: :wink:

Twirlie Bird
16th-May-2007, 06:52 PM
What thing ?? do tell :what: are we missing out on something:confused: - Jealouse now:mad: :wink:

Jealous! What kind of attitude is that to have Mac.:rofl: Leave the boys to play :rolleyes:

Twirlie Bird
16th-May-2007, 06:53 PM
Attitude is one of those things that's hard to actually put into words. Attitude for me is what makes somebody stand out on the dance floor. It is more than style. It is the X factor I guess. :D

Mac
16th-May-2007, 08:37 PM
Jealous! What kind of attitude is that to have Mac.:rofl: Leave the boys to play :rolleyes:
I dont wanna !! I dont Wanna !!!:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :wink:

dave the scaffolder
17th-May-2007, 11:32 AM
My attitude is...
Dance like you are naked in your bathroom.

XX XXX DTS

Gav
17th-May-2007, 09:04 PM
My attitude is...

XX XXX DTS

I just wish you'd pretend you were naked in your bathroom instead of turning up to feestyles really naked, ***! :wink:

SnowWhite
18th-May-2007, 12:03 AM
My attitude is...

XX XXX DTS

Am I the only person who has things other than dancing to do whilst naked in the bathroom?

:flower:

CrazyArms
18th-May-2007, 12:28 AM
Am I the only person who has things other than dancing to do whilst naked in the bathroom?

:flower:

I practice my stamping!! :rofl:

ducasi
18th-May-2007, 10:44 AM
I've looked it up in my dictionary, and attitude appears to be either about which direction you're facing, or it's a ballet position.

Oh, I guess it could also be "individuality and self-confidence as manifested by behavior or appearance; style", but personally I think it's all to do with what direction you're facing. :)

Rhythm King
18th-May-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm sitting down, facing the computer.

Lee Bartholomew
18th-May-2007, 02:09 PM
Theres someone dances, at Croydon I think, turns up at a few weekenders and freestyles, has this thing of stamping all the time off beat.

I think he thinks he's cool with it but it is just wrong.

He has prob landed on a foot before now doing it too.

StokeBloke
24th-May-2007, 06:20 PM
Here's a question for the physicists out there. How come some jets leave white trails, and some don't? The one that is looks like a 737, it's leaving Manchester. The lower plane is a four engined jet coming into Manchester.

Lovely day here in Stoke as you can see from these pix taken from my back garden :D

Jhutch
24th-May-2007, 06:37 PM
Here's a question for the physicists out there. How come some jets leave white trails, and some don't? The one that is looks like a 737, it's leaving Manchester. The lower plane is a four engined jet coming into Manchester.

Lovely day here in Stoke as you can see from these pix taken from my back garden :D

Am not a physicist but i think that it is due to the humidity of the air being different at different levels. Aeroplane engine emissions comtain some water. If this is added to humid air then it may push the air past its saturation point* and clouds start to form. If the air is dry then the added water will not be able to. So, it isnt the type of jet but the height at which the jet is flying that is important

*water vapour is a gas. There comes a point at which the air cannot hold any more water in gas form - at this point the water will start to condense out and form clouds

also a link here

Contrail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrail)

MartinHarper
24th-May-2007, 07:04 PM
Eh, could we get the aeroplane discussion into the Chit-Chat forum?
Unless we're talking about the mile-high dancing club.

StokeBloke
24th-May-2007, 07:18 PM
Trust me to get attitude and altitude mixed up. Sorry if I offended you sensibilities Martin :hug: