PDA

View Full Version : Standing v sitting

Spin dryer
14th-May-2007, 12:23 AM
It's very rare for me to sit down at all during even a very long freestyle. I prefer to take as little time out as possible and I find that I lose my fluidity if I sit down for even a few minutes. Does anyone else experience the same thing, or are you able to reconnect with your body immediately you get up?

fletch
14th-May-2007, 01:43 AM
you are the same as me, I never sit down, i'm usually prowling around the floor looking for victims,:wink: I tend not to sand in the same place all night eighter, i'm to worred I might miss someone :na: or someone might miss me :devil: :D

SeriouslyAddicted
14th-May-2007, 08:44 AM
I find that at a lot of venues you won't get asked to dance if you are sitting down so I tend to stand most of the time - nothing to do with losing my body connection though :confused:

bigdjiver
14th-May-2007, 09:13 AM
I find that at a lot of venues you won't get asked to dance if you are sitting down so I tend to stand most of the time - nothing to do with losing my body connection though :confused:When I do not know who's who I tend to ask ladies that are standing and moving to the music.

When running a venue too much comfortable seating can be a mistake.

Twirly
14th-May-2007, 10:24 AM
I do sit down, if I need a rest. If I want to dance, I stand. I get asked to dance whichever I'm doing - I wish I could work out the best way to get asked, but there doesn't seem to be one. And it has no effect on my dancing, unless I sit down for too long (which never happens at a class night, as I'll get up before I get settled). And if I am standing, and want to be asked rather than do the asking, then I'll make sure that I don't stay in one part of the room for too long either.

But could this be different for leads and follows?

Sparkles
14th-May-2007, 10:37 AM
I do sit down, usually when I need a rest, but also if I'm a) not enjoying the music or b) my dancing is terrible.
I've found that sitting out for a while if you're (in your own opinion) not dancing well can really help :clap:.

Fatigue (of either mind or body) is my greatest threat at weekenders. If I get tired or my feet get sore and I sit out for too long it can mean the end of my dancing night :sad: - and I believe it's to do with the 'disconnection' Spin dryer mentions. But I've only ever really experienced this at weekenders (and funnily enough only at Southport, where there is no finish time - I think if I know it will end at, say 6:30am, I can work towards that 'goal', if there is no finish time I get fatigued much earlier and then my dancing suffers :sad:).

Double Trouble
14th-May-2007, 10:39 AM
I think prowling around the edge of the dance floor...hands on hips, looking like you have lost your lilos, is a great look. Not creepy in the least.:rolleyes:

Twirlie Bird
14th-May-2007, 12:45 PM
I hardly ever sit down at a freestyle. I have gone to dance and that's what I try to do. :clap: Occasionally I will sit down if I am sitting a particular song out (usually Candy Man if I've managed to escape the dance floor in time) :devil:

I find that if I am sitting down I don't get asked as much. I think this is because if I am sitting down then I am usually chatting. If I see a guy sitting down I tend not to ask them either. If a guy is stood up and especially by the dance floor then they 'look' like they want to dance.

I don't think I disconnect but I do think that if I sat down for too long I would loose the buzz and not really want to start again sometimes.

jivecat
14th-May-2007, 01:02 PM
It's very rare for me to sit down at all during even a very long freestyle. I prefer to take as little time out as possible and I find that I lose my fluidity if I sit down for even a few minutes. Does anyone else experience the same thing, or are you able to reconnect with your body immediately you get up?

I'm OK if I only sit down for one or two tracks but if it's more than that there's a real risk of losing the impetus to dance. If it's more than half a dozen tracks in a row (not uncommon) I tend to give up and go home. It gives me time to notice if my feet are hurting, say, and several times recently I've even felt cold whilst sitting out. COLD?! At a dance venue?:eek: Once I put my coat on, why then it's only natural to find my car keys and make a swift exit.

I used to spend 95% of the time on the floor, but that's probably gone down to less than 50% - I'm not motivated any more to trawl the room for partners.

ducasi
15th-May-2007, 10:35 AM
When I'm not dancing, it's usually because I'm resting. I find it easier to rest sitting down than standing up.

During weekenders, I think it's especially important (for me, anyway) to sit down when I'm not dancing, otherwise my feet and legs will just get more tired and sore for no reason. Unfortunately, I find it much harder at weekenders just to sit, as you're never sitting where you want to be.

I don't feel myself becoming "disconnected" after sitting, though sometimes I do find it hard to stand back up again! ;)

sidney
15th-May-2007, 10:59 AM
Depends on the venue if I sit or stand, at Coventry there is lots of tables and has area where it is very social, chatty and relaxed and I like to do a bit of sitting and chatting, and there other venues like Marcus Garvy in Notts where I am standing most of the night as it does not have that nice feel about it to sit and chat as it is a grotty place. When I hear a song I really like then I am up like a shot, my fav at the moment is the Candy man but you have to be quick to get the right dancer for that song or it can end up being your worst dance of the evening:eek:

Frankie_4711
16th-May-2007, 08:05 AM
I prefer not to stop at all ... but if I do, then it will depend on why I've stopped as to whether I sit or stand. If it's because I want a rest (which is rare) or to talk to someone then I will more likely sit, but if I want to dance still and am looking for someone to ask or just can't find a partner I want to ask then I will stand. I do find that if I stop I get tired - so long as I keep dancing I don't notice that I'm tired at all, but as soon as I stop it really hits me, especially if I've been dancing a long time (like at a weekender)

Cruella
16th-May-2007, 08:24 AM
I do sit down, if I need a rest. If I want to dance, I stand. I get asked to dance whichever I'm doing - I wish I could work out the best way to get asked, but there doesn't seem to be one.
You should do a survey, do you get asked by short guys when you are sitting and taller guys when you stand. Due to the level for eye contact.:rolleyes:

I prefer not to stop at all ....snip... I do find that if I stop I get tired - so long as I keep dancing I don't notice that I'm tired at all, but as soon as I stop it really hits me,

:yeah:

Terpsichorea
16th-May-2007, 08:39 AM
Once I get warmed up properly, I don't usually sit down for the rest of the night...too busy looking for new partners on whom I can inflict my dancing!

Gadget
16th-May-2007, 01:27 PM
On a normal class night, I don't think I sit down... from entering the venue untill leaving it again. In fact it feels really strange if I do :what:

Weekenders and parties are slightly different - I will normally sit down for a track or two and watch for a while... but normally my hands are kneeding out the music during this time :wink:

Twirly
16th-May-2007, 01:31 PM
but normally my hands are kneeding out the music during this time :wink:

On the back of someone's neck? :wink:

Jhutch
16th-May-2007, 01:47 PM
I tend to lean against the wall or one of the supports or something

Mac
16th-May-2007, 06:46 PM
Um oky Im gonna be a thickie here :blush: (watch it sunshine!! :waycool: )

WHATS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
:really: :confused: :really: :confused: :really: :confused: :really: :confused: :really: :confused: :really: :confused: :really: :confused: :really: :tears: :tears: :tears:

Double Trouble
16th-May-2007, 06:54 PM
WHATS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
:really: :confused: :really: :confused: :really: :confused: :really: :confused: :really: :confused: :really: :confused: :really: :confused: :really: :tears: :tears: :tears:

No point whatsoever...thats the point.:rolleyes:

CrazyArms
16th-May-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm a sitter... I like to wait until my feet begin to pulse and swell from the lack of activity before making an attempt at dancing again. Normally a few hobbles towards the floor whilst I warm up again....

*note to self* ----- :drool: Buy some cod liver oil!:drool: ----- *end of note*

Degodier
16th-May-2007, 07:37 PM
The problem with sitting for me is that the short guys come over and then look dismayed as I uncoil!!! :blush: I'm 5'11" in heels and my friend is 6'2"!! They always struggle manfully but I don't think it's really fun for anyone! :sick: So if I sit I try to hide. (In the loo was a favourite until I emerged once with the imprint of the loo seat on my bare back:D )

Otherwise I will prop the bar up if there is one. A drink in your hand can be offputting for some people. A guy I know deliberately walks around with a beer bottle when he's resting so he can make polite excuses.

And like other people have said if it's a regular night I don't sit at all, unless it's grim rock and roll :eek: or 'All that jazz' :eek: in which case I do a runner. :wink:

bigdjiver
16th-May-2007, 07:52 PM
The problem with sitting for me is that the short guys come over and then look dismayed as I uncoil!!! :blush: I'm 5'11" in heels and my friend is 6'2"!! They always struggle manfully but I don't think it's really fun for anyone! :sick: ... I have the opposite problem, being 6'3" . Too often I struggle to make a dance work with a major height difference. I try to use lifts and moves involving kneeling, but often ladies do not like lifts, and one or two have regarded me kneeling as "taking the mickey".

Mythical
16th-May-2007, 07:56 PM
I just feel really lost if I stand up, so I tend to sit down most of the time. That said, I have started jumping up as soon as a good track comes on.....which can be embarassing!

CrazyArms
16th-May-2007, 11:26 PM
The problem with sitting for me is that the short guys come over and then look dismayed as I uncoil!!! :blush: I'm 5'11" in heels and my friend is 6'2"!! They always struggle manfully but I don't think it's really fun for anyone! :sick:

Feel free to drag me off my chair anytime! It's always a pleasure to dance with a tall lady. :clap:

Twirly
17th-May-2007, 09:48 AM
You should do a survey, do you get asked by short guys when you are sitting and taller guys when you stand. Due to the level for eye contact.:rolleyes:

OK - this theory definitely doesn't work. I only got asked once whilst sitting down last night (though I didn't sit down much) - and it was by the tallest man in the place :rofl:

Have to say though that I think he was looking for me becuase of a conversation we had in class, which was lovely as he never normally gets a chance to ask anyone to dance he's in such demand. And since it was only half a track, I was then very cheeky and asked him for another one! :D But it made my night that he actually asked me for a change :awe:

MartinHarper
17th-May-2007, 08:53 PM
one or two have regarded me kneeling as "taking the mickey".

One of the better dances I watched at ATLX was a taller guy dancing Lindy with a smaller gal, entirely on his knees. I was particularly impressed when he threw in some slides and random jazz steps.
Totally cheesy, but I'm easily entertained.

Lynn
17th-May-2007, 09:48 PM
My feet get tired and sore, esp at weekenders, so when not actually dancing I like to sit to rest them.

If I'm sitting at the edge of the dance floor, looking round, then I'm available to be asked, and able to get up and go and ask someone if there is a track I really want to dance to/partner available I want to dance with.

If I'm sitting a few seats back from the dance floor, I'm probably still happy to be asked, but I'm not looking for dances, I'm taking time out, resting, chatting, watching. I won't sit for more than about 20 - 30 mins though as then I get too tired to dance. Sometimes I do this when I know I'm too tired to dance much more but am still enjoying the atmosphere and chat.

If I really want to dance I'll stand up at the end of the dance floor, thus being even more available to be asked/able to see who I might want to ask.