PDA

View Full Version : How far would you travel for a ceroc class ?

stewart38
30th-July-2003, 12:01 PM
Someone mentioned travelling 6 hours round trip to go to a mid week ceroc class. :confused:

I've traveled up to an hour by car, to go to a saturday event

I know people will come from afar for competitions etc but what’s the furthest people would travel for mid week and/or one off dances

Is there a cure for this ? :what:

TheTramp
30th-July-2003, 12:05 PM
I might win this one.

While in Sydney last month on a Sunday nights dancing, someone asked me to go to their dance that Friday. And I did. It was in Hamilton, NZ.

I think that it's 2000 miles from Sydney to NZ, and with the time getting to the airport, waiting, flying, getting through customs, and then the drive from Auckland to Hamilton, I think that it was a 7 hour trip in each direction :D

Steve

Franck
30th-July-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
Someone mentioned travelling 6 hours round trip to go to a mid week ceroc class. :confused: Well, travelling to Aberdeen from central Scotland takes about 2.5 hours, so a round trip of 5 hours... I think that's not a problem and wouldn't think twice about doing it, though maybe not every week any longer :D
I think a lot of the addicts on this forum will happily travel over an hour to go to a good night!
I suspect that the more choice you have in your own city, the less you are willing to travel, for example, Edinburgh, with 3 weekly Ceroc classes, 3 different teachers & DJs, so no incentive to travel further!

Franck.

xSalsa_Angelx
30th-July-2003, 12:45 PM
Well I can say i've never travelled yet out of Aberdeen for a Ceroc class,
The Perth event will be the first for me, and then the next will be when am on Holiday in September, going to Portugal for a week and then a week in Norwich, so will probably go when am down there..!!!
How sad on holiday and still wanting to go to Ceroc classes :D

Heather
30th-July-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
[
How sad on holiday and still wanting to go to Ceroc classes :D [/B]

Quite normal, if you ask me. But then people do say us Dundee girls are a bit MAd!!!!:wink:

:hug:
Heather,
XX

cerocmetro
30th-July-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I might win this one.

I think that it's 2000 miles from Sydney to NZ.....

Steve

Steve,

No could argue that you are a hero. I was in NZ and did not make it to Hamilton. Was it good? However, I think I can beat you,

Not on distance although after all the diversions it could be close, I had to get from North London to Colchester. That only took 2 hours to teach every week, but coming home one night there were two diversions, one major accident. After four hours in a traffic jam, I over heated, the car not me. Three hours later AA arrived. Two hours later a tow truck, One hour later I was home.

In total about a 10 hour journey. Not voluntarily or planned admittedly.

But I do know that Lisa, yes Lisa from Aberdeen came down to London for our Masked Ball earlier this year. That was pretty impressive.

Adam

Lindsay
30th-July-2003, 01:49 PM
I think that it was a 7 hour trip in each direction :D

I think you're the winner! But was it worth the trip?

Rachel
30th-July-2003, 02:48 PM
Someone mentioned travelling 6 hours round trip to go to a mid week ceroc class. :confused:

I've traveled up to an hour by car, to go to a saturday event

I know people will come from afar for competitions etc but what’s the furthest people would travel for mid week and/or one off dances

Is there a cure for this ? :what: Well, definitely can't beat Steve/Adam, but a usual week for us is:

Mon - 30 mins each way
Tues - 1 1/4 hrs each way
Wed - 1 1/4 each way
Thurs - collapse in bed unable to do anything, unless Marc's teaching Nottingham which is 1 1/4 hrs each way
Fri - prob 1 hr each way for an Ashtons or something
Sat - could be anything, usually between 1 and 2 hrs (Woking/Fleet, etc). Sometimes 2.5 hrs for Rivoli... Occasionally we go further afield for a dance - Brighton, Eastborne, etc - but then we stay overnight
Sun - either sleeping or 1.5-2 hrs to Chigwell/Berkhamstead, etc

A cure?? Not sure, but if there is, I wish someone would tell me!

Pammy
30th-July-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Rachel A cure?? Not sure, but if there is, I wish someone would tell me! [/B]

Rachel, indeed it is official, you've got it bad :wink:

Rachel
30th-July-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
Rachel, indeed it is official, you've got it bad :wink: well, um, it does seem to have taken over somewhat. In 'The Days Before Ceroc' I had time to do ballet, tap, jazz, salsa, musical society rehearsals and tae kwon do every week. I used to have baths which could last 3 hours with a good book, I used to watch films, went to political branch and constituency meetings, even went to the pub once in a while. Now I can't even manage to fit in 4 hours sleep a night...

Pammy
30th-July-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
well, um, it does seem to have taken over somewhat. In 'The Days Before Ceroc' I had time to do ballet, tap, jazz, salsa, musical society rehearsals and tae kwon do every week. I used to have baths which could last 3 hours with a good book, I used to watch films, went to political branch and constituency meetings, even went to the pub once in a while. Now I can't even manage to fit in 4 hours sleep a night...

Ah but life is so much more rewarding now :grin:

Think I would pass out on four hours sleep, either through sheer exhaustion, or by someone knocking me out for being in a bad mood due to the tiredness!!!

stewart38
30th-July-2003, 04:56 PM
I'm missing my regular night of ceroc tonight to see a mate for a curry as he is feeling really down following split from his girlfriend

I was trying to work out if I went for curry really early,I could still make ceroc

If he does top himself and I have to take him to Hospital I hope its near the ceroc venue so I could pop in,while they treat him

Problem what problem ?:what:

Pammy
30th-July-2003, 05:02 PM
if I went for curry really early,I could still make ceroc

Hmmm, curry before ceroc?

maybe not a good idea if you wanna impress the girlies :wink:

Grant
31st-July-2003, 10:28 AM
I'm missing my regular night of ceroc tonight to see a mate for a curry as he is feeling really down following split from his girlfriend

you should have taken him to ceroc instead

Grant

TheTramp
31st-July-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Lindsay
I think you're the winner! But was it worth the trip? Oh yes.

Did some teaching, a couple of demos. And they've invited me back next year. Paying for my flight, and accomodation and other living stuff in exchange for me teaching a few classes and workshops.

I'd say it was definitely worth it :D

Steve

Pammy
31st-July-2003, 12:00 PM
Paying for my flight, and accomodation and other living stuff in exchange for me teaching a few classes and workshops.

Do you need a helper; demonstrator come shoe-shiner???

DavidB
31st-July-2003, 12:13 PM
I know of at least 3 people who have flown from London to Los Angeles for a dance weekend.

I've also spent 40 minutes driving 2 miles to the Casbah. I'm sure someone must be able to beat that as the slowest trip to a dance.

David

Yogi_Bear
7th-August-2003, 08:43 AM
A four hour round trip is about my limit - based on sharing the driving - but that's worth it for a Friday or Saturday event that maybe goes on till 1.00 with lessons and maybe a special theme and/or a cabaret. Especially when there is nothing else on in the area. But I wouldn't go for an ordinary weekday night. Obviously I would go a lot further for a really promising workshop or a weekend event...:waycool:

Andy McGregor
11th-August-2003, 08:50 AM
Oh yes.

Did some teaching, a couple of demos. And they've invited me back next year. Paying for my flight, and accomodation and other living stuff in exchange for me teaching a few classes and workshops.

I'd say it was definitely worth it :D

Steve

Sorry mate, you were winning:D

But now you're disqualified :tears: :wink:

You did loads of things on your long trip, not just a mid-week dance class. The originator of this thread asked;

but what’s the furthest people would travel for mid week and/or one off dances :what:

At the moment I think I'm still winning with 6 hours from Worthing to Bristol for a mid-week class :D But I think people have travelled much longer for a one off dance night.

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Sorry mate, you were winning:D

But now you're disqualified :tears: :wink:

You did loads of things on your long trip, not just a mid-week dance class. The originator of this thread asked;

At the moment I think I'm still winning with 6 hours from Worthing to Bristol for a mid-week class :D But I think people have travelled much longer for a one off dance night. Ah. But I did just go there for the class. They made me do all the other stuff once I'd gotten there...

Steve

Pammy
11th-August-2003, 10:21 AM
Ah. But I did just go there for the class. They made me do all the other stuff once I'd gotten there...

Steve

I think we'll have to hold some sort of arm wrestling competition to see who wins :wink:

Px

DavidB
11th-August-2003, 10:24 AM
arm wrestling competition Maybe that explains the avatar - and you are so good at it you ripped your opponent's arm off.

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 10:24 AM
I think we'll have to hold some sort of arm wrestling competition to see who wins :wink:

Px Oh. That's no contest. :D

Steve