PDA

View Full Version : Feedback for Owners, Teachers, Managers, DJs etc

Gav
4th-May-2007, 09:01 AM
From time to time, especially on the forum, people gripe about franchise owners, teachers, taxi's, venue managers etc.

Obviously it's a good way of venting steam and also of checking with your peers whether you're being unreasonable or not.

I gripe from time to time on here :rolleyes:, but I also ALWAYS tell the relevant people if I'm not happy. I figure that if no-one tells them it's broke, they'll never know it needs fixing.

Also, because positive feedback is just as important and because without it, I would come across as a "complainer", I also make sure that I tell them when I like things they do too.

I was wondering, do you give positive and/or negative feedback?
Do you send an email/letter or tell them in person?
Are you worried that if you complain, you'll be labelled or shunned?
Have you had any good/bad experiences as a result of feedback you've given?

Double Trouble
4th-May-2007, 09:31 AM
I voted 'other see below'.

If people are unhappy about something, I would say most would not complain to anyone other than their friends.

This is the worst kind of publicity for a franchise owner, as sh1t sticks, regardless of whether its true or not.

I do think the franchise owners are their own worst enemy though. In my experience most of them are so far up their own backsides, they don't listen to criticism anyway.:rolleyes:

Adrian (DJ)
4th-May-2007, 09:35 AM
If this includes DJ's as well, I'd much rather someone came up to me in person so we could discuss it on the night. It's much too easy to hide behind a forum handle and critisize online, but you have to have the decency to say what you feel to someone's face.

I don't really listen to much that's said on here because I have alot more respect for someone who cames up to the booth at the end of the night, or even during the night, to say they never enjoyed the music and offer reasons why. However, the criticism must be constructive, not: "The music's crap.", "Well, what would you like to hear?", "Crazy frog."

Dan Hudson
4th-May-2007, 09:38 AM
I voted 'other see below'.

I do think the franchise owners are their own worst enemy though. In my experience most of them are so far up their own backsides, they don't listen to criticism anyway.:rolleyes:

A bit of a generalisation... how many franchise owners haveyou actually met??:angry: :angry:

maybe come over to our area to one of our events and see if we are up our own arses before passing judgement:mad:

Gav
4th-May-2007, 09:40 AM
If this includes DJ's as well

Good point, sorry I forgot DJs. :blush:

Double Trouble
4th-May-2007, 09:41 AM
It's much too easy to hide behind a forum handle and critisize online

err...I think that was my point. People generally will choose the easy option and slag you off to their friends rather than to your face.

It's not just about being decent though, not everyone has the balls to speak out about how they feel.

Double Trouble
4th-May-2007, 09:44 AM
A bit of a generalisation... how many franchise owners haveyou actually met??:angry: :angry:

maybe come over to our area to one of our events and see if we are up our own arses before passing judgement:mad:

I said most not all. :rolleyes: and i've met loads thanks for asking.:na:

For example; Rocky started a thread on here to ask everyone what they thought about an all night Utopia. I think he and his fellow organizers like to hear feedback and encourage us to give it via the forum.

JiveLad
4th-May-2007, 10:40 AM
I have done it in several ways:

1. Emails to Franchise Owner (Jilly - Ceroc Chilterns) with lots of ideas to expand/improve the business as well as my usual gripe about too much Latino in the main room at Berko. (Followed up by face to face discussion(s) with Jilly. Interesting - I never ever got an email back from Jilly - even to acknowledge my email.........although she said she had read them.

2. Positive feedback in person on most nights to the door crew and teacher (and sometimes, DJ). One of the best nights was a few months ago at Stevenage when everyone gave a spontaneous massive round of applause at the end of the night................

3. One occasion at Ceroc Watford gave direct feedback to the DJ - which he probably was not too happy with. However, it is the only way to improve.......

4. The (mildly entertaining) blog. Adam Nathason (part-owner of Ceroc Metro) was reading it quite a bit - particularly as I was going to a lot of his venues and commenting on them. When he came over from NZ, he somehow picked me out - to give me some useful dance advice.
Someone else has specifically requested that I go to Hammersmith (and/or Chiswick) and write about it........so I will.

TA Guy
4th-May-2007, 11:37 AM
If this includes DJ's as well, I'd much rather someone came up to me in person so we could discuss it on the night. It's much too easy to hide behind a forum handle and critisize online, but you have to have the decency to say what you feel to someone's face.

I don't really listen to much that's said on here because I have alot more respect for someone who cames up to the booth at the end of the night, or even during the night, to say they never enjoyed the music and offer reasons why. However, the criticism must be constructive, not: "The music's crap.", "Well, what would you like to hear?", "Crazy frog."

I can't really speak to any DJ knowledge in this area, but this is an attitude taken by a few franchise owners too.

If you only listen to those who come upto you, you get a horribly distorted view of the punters feeling. The reason for that being that you'll get a horribly disportionate number of people who generally have some good to say, because it's easier to go upto a stranger and say something good, than something bad (or there your friend, or fancy you etc etc, whatever).

This, in my experience, is a common reason for nights failing, I.E. the organisers/runners just listened to their friends and yes-men and didn't actively seek out the views that count.

Most, whether franchise owners or one night independants, have been savvy enough to find out what the actual punters think tho, whether by skilful use of crowd 'spys' :) feedback forms, forums or whatever. Utopia, as someone mentioned, is a good example of getting feedback off the forum.

ducasi
4th-May-2007, 12:54 PM
Good point, sorry I forgot DJs. :blush:
I've added "DJs" to the thread title. :)

ducasi
4th-May-2007, 01:11 PM
I have given both positive and negative feedback to organisers both in person, but more often on this forum and on my blog.

As I know that most of the event organisers of the events that I go to (including, funnily enough, Ceroc Scotland) read this forum, I figure this is a valid form of feedback, rather than simply discussion amongst my friends.

I have on occasion alerted an organiser to a thread on the forum or a post on my blog if I think they would otherwise miss it.

As for hiding behind a forum handle, I don't exactly make a secret of my identity, and have a photo of me on my profile.

Double Trouble
4th-May-2007, 01:27 PM
I have on occasion alerted an organiser to a thread on the forum or a post on my blog if I think they would otherwise miss it.

It's funny you should mention that. I did the same a few weeks back. I tipped off an organiser, who doesn't post on the forum that there was a thread talking about him and he might find it of some interest and get some feedback.

Guess what? He shrugged his shoulders and said he wasn't interested.

Head in arse situation, me thinks.

tsh
4th-May-2007, 01:31 PM
I can't see the point in giving negative feedback. If I were to explain to a teacher that I could probably do better my self, It might make me feel better, but isn't likely to change their teaching style. Even a detailed criticism probably won't help. It's completely different with a dance partner, where it is possible to prove that by changing something then dancing becomes easier.

I will try and give positive feedback, if I find a lesson more useful than average, or music more interesting - only because i want it to continue like that. I rarely say the same about a dance though because it's much harder to sound sincere.

Sean

bigdjiver
4th-May-2007, 01:54 PM
It's funny you should mention that. I did the same a few weeks back. I tipped off an organiser, who doesn't post on the forum that there was a thread talking about him and he might find it of some interest and get some feedback.

Guess what? He shrugged his shoulders and said he wasn't interested.

Head in arse situation, me thinks.I have been in Phil's office when he was reading his emails, along the lines of:
No1. The new DJ stinks, the old one was brill, everybody wants him back.
No2. The new DJ is fab, we want to keep him. Don't give us the old ****** back again.

The crackle of fivers, the feet on the floor, and the smiles on the faces are most of the feedback that any franchise needs. Listening to customers is always good, but, unless they run a successful dance business, is likely to be of questionable value, and is too often a waste of precious time.

ducasi
4th-May-2007, 02:20 PM
I can't see the point in giving negative feedback.
I have given negative feedback to a DJ and been told a track has been removed from their computer. I have given negative feedback to organisers and received apologies and/or a change of approach.

I can see a point in giving negative feedback.

Trousers
4th-May-2007, 03:31 PM
err...I think that was my point. People generally will choose the easy option and slag you off to their friends rather than to your face.

It's not just about being decent though, not everyone has the balls to speak out about how they feel.

We know You Have balls

but poor Gav

Personally I'm all for a bit of slagging off to ya mates.
I've been ignored enough times by venue managers for daring to question the system.

Gav
4th-May-2007, 03:32 PM
We know You Have balls

but poor Gav

Yes, they used to be mine :tears: :tears: :tears: