PDA

View Full Version : Dancing Abroad - How Is MJ Received?

Terpsichorea
3rd-May-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm off to Spain in three week's time, staying just outside Granada, and would really like to visit some of the city's Salsa clubs, the only downside being that I can't err, do Salsa. Just MJ. I was wondering whether I'd attract the scorn of numerous Spaniards if I went to a Salsa club in the city and started MJing with my partner? Has anyone else ever danced in a club overseas, and if so, how was it received?

ducasi
3rd-May-2007, 10:37 AM
Unless you particularly like salsa music, or particularly hate club/dance/pop music, I'd suggest you go to a normal club.

FH & I went dancing in Amsterdam recently. We avoided the Salsa places and instead went to dance in a cafe/bar/club place. We didn't have any problems with the locals – got some admiring looks – and had a lot of fun, though it did get a bit too crowded later on...

Terpsichorea
3rd-May-2007, 10:44 AM
Unless you particularly like salsa music, or particularly hate club/dance/pop music, I'd suggest you go to a normal club.

FH & I went dancing in Amsterdam recently. We avoided the Salsa places and instead went to dance in a cafe/bar/club place. We didn't have any problems with the locals – got some admiring looks – and had a lot of fun, though it did get a bit too crowded later on...

Cheers for that - I like Latin music, but yep, there should be lots of other places to check out.

nebula
7th-May-2007, 02:37 PM
Has anyone gone to the eastern european destination and tried MJ-ing in the club/disco? I will be visiting my family there in a while, and want to show off (understandably) my new jive skills. Will I be scorned? Or admiredm as the lucky Amsterdamian visitor?

kiwichook
10th-May-2007, 05:14 AM
Umm probably not that relevant but have always found the yanks aboard cruise ships out of the States think its really great:grin:

nebula
10th-May-2007, 07:21 PM
anybody aboard the cruise ship thinks it's great!!!

drathzel
11th-May-2007, 07:13 AM
No matter where i have been dancing no one has had a problem. I danced ceroc in a restaurant in spain and got a round of applause afterwards with people even coming up to me and asking was i a professional dancer!!!!

Terpsichorea
11th-May-2007, 07:52 AM
No matter where i have been dancing no one has had a problem. I danced ceroc in a restaurant in spain and got a round of applause afterwards with people even coming up to me and asking was i a professional dancer!!!!

Did you get asked to dance by any Spanish guys? I've heard that it's a bit latin and territorial over there - apparently the blokes get funny if you ask women to dance. May be all cobblers, but it's just what I've heard.

Terpsichorea
4th-June-2007, 11:42 AM
Did you get asked to dance by any Spanish guys? I've heard that it's a bit latin and territorial over there - apparently the blokes get funny if you ask women to dance. May be all cobblers, but it's just what I've heard.

Well, I am back, and having now danced MJ in Spain, I can safely say that it raised curious Latin eyebrows, but on the whole, they seemed to think it was some strange variation of Salsa.