PDA

View Full Version : WCS at Swing Dance America !

Caro
30th-April-2007, 09:00 AM
While I'm in heathrow just back from Chicago and waiting for the next flight to Aberdeen, I thought I would start this thread and post an event review.

Not sure where to start with in fact. What a truly amazing week-end. The americans sure can dance! :respect:

Venue:
Hilton in Milwaukee - great hotel, beautiful ballroom, floor temporary but very good (except thursday night in the smaller ballroom, but that got fixed) big rooms, special mention to the extra comfy beds.... :D

Freestyle:
Music fantastic pretty much all the time (although some tunes like Secret might have been a tad overplayed), and the standard of dancing was really mind-blowing (well, for me!).... inspirational in fact.
I think it's fair to say that I have had some of the best dances in my life this week-end. I managed to grab all the pros (and cause I love making the girls out there green, I'll list them :yum: Ben, Parker, Arjay, Robert and Kyle for the most well-known... but there were so many very advanced dancers and comp champs out there!!!)

Comp:
Ladies and gents brace yourselves as we have a champ!!!

Paul with his american partner (truly fab Dallas) entered strictly intermediate and they placed 3rd!!! :respect: :waycool: :worthy:
Paul also made it to the final of the novice Jack'n'Jill (9th) and I partnered up with an american for strictly swing novice and went to the final (we got 7th out of 12 in the end). Hey not bad for a first US comp... (ok this was me practicing your British Art of Understatement... the truth is more like 'over the moon'! :D )

Also watching the All stars J'n'J sunday just before leaving really left me on a huge high... it was so inspirational, some couples really got the crowd to go mad with applauses and Ooooos and other screams !!!

People:
We met some really friendly peeps over there, and the event organisers treated us really well as we had travelled from so far away. They really were impressed that UK people would travel so far for a (relatively) small event (which is still a few times bigger than Weston last week-end!).

Others:
- Friday night will remain known as the Great Fly War. I think the folks there might have a ceiling to re-paint... :blush:
- I would make a list of highs and lows, but there's too many highs and I can't find any lows really!
- I had a private with Robert Royston (who, by the way, said that 'I have a lot of musicality' :yum: :grin: :waycool: :blush: ). This was so worth it... Quite a few things to work on but I could notice that my dancing had improved as soon as I put a couple of things in practice. It really feels amazing to notice such a difference !
- I think I have the US bug now. So, the most important question:

Anybody up for Summer Hummer in Boston ?
(week-end of Aug 24)

angelblue
30th-April-2007, 09:17 AM
wow sounds like you had a storm of a time

well done you x:clap:

Lory
30th-April-2007, 09:24 AM
Wow Caro, what a weekend! :waycool:

Brilliant news about the comps... Well done hun! :worthy: :cheers:

Wes
30th-April-2007, 01:03 PM
[Ladies and gents brace yourselves as we have a champ!!!

Paul with his american partner (truly fab Dallas) entered strictly intermediate and they placed 3rd!!!
Paul also made it to the final of the novice Jack'n'Jill (9th) and I partnered up with an american for strictly swing novice and went to the final (we got 7th out of 12 in the end).

:respect: :clap: :respect: :clap: :respect: :clap: :respect: :clap: :respect::clap: :respect: :clap: :respect: :clap: :respect:

Simon
30th-April-2007, 01:47 PM
Great news, Caro. Well done. :clap: :clap:

I have to say that I'm getting sick with envy at all the peeps from these shores making it over to the States for WCS conventions. I've promised myself that I'll make it over for one in the next 12 months but to help me plan, can someone post a definitive calendar of all the US WCS conventions that it would be worth considering (new thread if necessary or link to a website that gives this info)? :flower: :flower:

Caro
30th-April-2007, 01:55 PM
... can someone post a definitive calendar of all the US WCS conventions that it would be worth considering (new thread if necessary or link to a website that gives this info)? :flower: :flower:

funny you should mention that... as I'm currently scrolling this (http://www.swingdancecouncil.com/)website (click on 'member registry events' in the menu on the left) which lists all the events for which you'll get points in the World Swing Dance Council if you get placed. Some of them may be fairly 'small', but they are still HUGE compared to what we know here.
How do you fancy Summer Hummer in Boston in august... :whistle:

Keith J
30th-April-2007, 06:46 PM
Congratulations Caro, huge understatement knowing what the standards are like out there. Wow...A Private with Robert R'...get you...!

Paul F
30th-April-2007, 08:15 PM
Right, its taken me a while as I have had little internet access at work but (even though I am SO TIRED) Im going to post a review :nice:

THE BEST WEEKEND OF DANCING I HAVE EVER HAD......PERIOD

Thats a bold statement but I have been thinking about this and I really do believe it.

Absolutely fantastic. :drool:

First off I want to say a HUGE thankyou to Caro for being such a great friend and travelling companion for the trip over. So glad you could make it. Without you I think the Great fly War would have been touch and go for a while :rofl:

Also I want to say that getting through to the finals of Novice Strictly on your first trip to the states and among that many awesome dancers wasnt just good but breathtaking. :respect:
I really dont want this to sound patronising as its really not meant to be but I dont think I have ever seen someone go from being a little apprehensive about their dancing at the start of a weekender to being a superb practitioner by the end of it. As Robert said - you WILL be fantastic! :worthy:

Venue
Im running out of adjectives but once again, AWESOME. Aside from the Thursday night in the small room having a dodgy floor (which they immediately rebuilt :what: ) the venue, fixtures and fittings were first class. Beautiful, grand, ornate. All words I would use. Lighting was ideal, floor was lush and everything was on hand.
The other big benefit of this venue is that its in the middle of Milwaukee so you can get out to the 3 shops :rofl:

Music
What can I say. I, like others, love variety. Too much of anything gets a little tiresome after a while. The way Glen et al kept the variety in the music was sublime. Certain tracks were played maybe 2 or 3 times a night but for me thats ideal (as long as I like them :devil: ) :D

Floor
All the floors were purpose built for the event :eek:
They were nice and fast (although i bought new shoes so had to work on slippifying them up) as well as a good size.

Atmosphere
I guess its easy to build an atmosphere at a competition - especially with the don of all MC's - Robert Royston calling the shots. Every US event I have been to that RR has been MCing has had a bit of pzazz. No change here. Jimmy (one of the organisers) was also brilliant and helped keep the buzz going.

Workshops/Teachers
Fantastic chatting with Parker, Robert and others. With people like that I struggle to see how an event can fail. (even if they do drink a little too much) :rofl:
The workshops were, as ever, insightful. Kyles and Arjay Centeno's workshops stand out for me. I have admired Arjays teaching style for a while now as he is able to articulate things differently from others. Not better or worse - just differently. The rest is down to participant interpretation.

AND NOW FOR THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEKEND FOR ME

THE PEOPLE
Wow. I can say rigt now, hand on heart, that I met some of the warmest, friendliest, most welcoming people I have ever met in my life.
On the last day I had that sinking feeling that I used to get in the pit of my stomach when I had to leave my granparents house in Wales when I was about 8 years old. Its a feeling of utter dejection that I had to leave such a brilliant atmosphere.
Not only was it my dance partner, Dallas, but also the organisers who treated us like royalty, the teachers and the other dancers who were so welcoming. It makes me want to move there.
It was a case of emails all round and promises to stay in touch . That I am certainly going to do.
I know this sounds like a mushy love-fest but I dont care. I miss them ! :tears:

I have a list of people who want to come over so Im going to keep my ears peeled for events in the near future.

Downside
A quick reality check would suggest that no event is perfect. Of course not.
For me the only slight dissapointment I had was not doing as well as I had hoped in the J+J division. I placed 9th but was hoping to get higher. On reflection though I made a couple of bad choices on the morning of the finals with regard to floor position etc. I think the scoreline is a pretty fair represeantation of how I was feeling/dancing that morning though.
In the heats I had a laugh with one girl, Carla. I asked where she was from to try and get an idea of how she dances. She answered and then asked me the same question. I said "London" to which she replied "Oh...I hope I can follow the English style" :rofl: :rofl:
I tried to point out that it was more a case if whether I could do her justice but she was really nervous :nice: Another lovely person though.

To say I was overjoyed to get 3rd in the Intermediate Strictly Swing is another vast understatement. I nearly collapsed :rofl: I was gutted I couldnt stay for the trophy and money presentation. Bloody work :sick:
Back down to earth though, I was dancing with a dancer that could make an ironing board look good on the dance floor so I am putting it down to Dallas for being a dance goddess.

All in all an event that will last long in my memory. In future if anyone asks me what makes a good event I can answer honestly......

PEOPLE.
:hug:

spikey blond
30th-April-2007, 09:32 PM
Hey sounds like you both had an absolutely fabulous time - your experiences reflect Boogie last autumn so I can relate to all you say. BIG congratulations to you both on your fantastic results - :respect: :respect:
The UK WCS scene will seem a bit tame for a while but it sounds as if you are aiming to make more regular visits across the pond. Know Caro is heading for Boogie in October, hope Paul you are going too - it seems there will be quite a group of us heading out there this year.... Which other conventions are people going to??

Don't work commitments just get in the way of WCS!!:D

Paul F
30th-April-2007, 09:40 PM
The UK WCS scene will seem a bit tame for a while but it sounds as if you are aiming to make more regular visits across the pond. Know Caro is heading for Boogie in October, hope Paul you are going too - it seems there will be quite a group of us heading out there this year.... Which other conventions are people going to??

Don't work commitments just get in the way of WCS!!:D

Thanks Sheila. :hug:

Sounds as though Caro will be heading over for Summer Hummer too! I would love to go but I am already committed to trips over each month between now and the end of year :sick:
Saying that though, from what people were telling us this weekend, Summer Hummer in August sounds like the place to go. Swimming Pools, outdoor dancing, cocktails :what: :what:

I just cant justify it :tears:

Plus, this flying out Thursday / coming back Sunday and going straight to work is a little tiring :rolleyes: Ok, make that a lot tiring :(

Caro
30th-April-2007, 10:51 PM
First off I want to say a HUGE thankyou to Caro for being such a great friend and travelling companion for the trip over. So glad you could make it. Without you I think the Great fly War would have been touch and go for a while :rofl:

Well right back at you :flower: ! Anytime anybody has another crazy 'let's go to america for the week-end' idea, you know how to get hold of me! :whistle:
And the flies... what can I say, I'm just a great Fly Warrior. :waycool:

Also I want to say that getting through to the finals of Novice Strictly on your first trip to the states and among that many awesome dancers wasnt just good but breathtaking. :respect:
I really dont want this to sound patronising as its really not meant to be but I dont think I have ever seen someone go from being a little apprehensive about their dancing at the start of a weekender to being a superb practitioner by the end of it. As Robert said - you WILL be fantastic! :worthy:

:blush: - thanks. I have to say the private with Robert left me on such a high. He was so encouraging and inspiring... in addition to being incredibly knowledgeable and sharp... :worthy:
And when I see all those fab dancers around... I just want to get on the floor and dance! :drool:

To say I was overjoyed to get 3rd in the Intermediate Strictly Swing is another vast understatement. I nearly collapsed :rofl: I was gutted I couldnt stay for the trophy and money presentation. Bloody work :sick:
Back down to earth though, I was dancing with a dancer that could make an ironing board look good on the dance floor so I am putting it down to Dallas for being a dance goddess.

:rofl: you silly you. You made her look good too. :respect:
I reckon an ironing board wouldn't :wink:

Rhythm King
2nd-May-2007, 05:15 PM
Well done Caro and Paul - sounds like you had a fab time and I'm not jealous at all :whistle:

Unfortunately during the dates you're talking about going again I shall be elsewhere, but I do want to go to a US event. I went dancing in New York last year, but that was just for a Friday night freestyle. I hope to get to one of the American events soon though.

So Caro, you're naughty and musical? :devil: :rofl:

Sheepman
2nd-May-2007, 06:47 PM
Excellent news, congrats to both Paul and Caro. :respect:
Wouldn't it be good if we could people from these shores appearing in all the major US comps?
But who's going to Atlanta this year?

Greg

Paul F
2nd-May-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys. Really appreciate it.

Yeah, am thinking about doing Atlanta too although with Blaze and Southport (as well as Libery in June) I dont know if thats just stupid :confused:
It would mean I have to do the "fly on thursday, fly back sunday and go straight to work" routine. That was HARD last time :sad:

Minnie M
2nd-May-2007, 06:59 PM
It is not only the timeoff work - it is costs too of course - that is why I chose the Boston Tea Party, out of season when the air fairs are cheaper or Virgin have a 'sale' at the moment

VIRGIN SALE examples :
Destination Economy sale fare Travel period % saving
New York* (JFK) From £299pp rtn 01 May 07 - 31 May 07 & 01 Jun 07 - 30 Jun 07
Washington DC** From £299pp rtn 01 May 07 - 30 Jun 07

or try using a credit card that collects air miles :wink:

Limpy Tink
3rd-May-2007, 01:13 PM
Well done Paul & Caro - fantastic results! :respect:

I am just :drool: and soooo envious. It all sounds so fantastic.

Great news guys.:yeah: