PDA

View Full Version : The 'Stokie Slide' is it a new move ?

fletch
28th-April-2007, 08:08 AM
I need a bit of advice. :flower:

My mate Stokie you know him 'Stokebloke' the guy that bounced onto to forum like an excited puppy having discoverd a yo-yo-man spin, a couple of moths ago,:grin: well he's been dancing for 6 months now and fair play he has a go at anything with anyone,..:respect: ...he has been doing a move recently wich is hard for me to explaine but its a pushy, slidy thing, and seem to work with anyone, tall, short, heavy, light, and is realy nice. :worthy: So nice a well respected teacher want's to teach it in her class.:respect:i'm not suprised its BOSTIN :clap:

I havn't found anyone that has done this move before or with anyone else :confused:

So the questions are,

1. how can you find out if its new, or just a rediscover?

2. how do I claim my prize (only joking Stokie) but if its a Terry's chocolate orange, bagsy two's up?:drool:

2a, can you register it or something?

OK i'm not to good on these intelligent treads i'll scuttle back off to TPBM now!

Tar!

:cheers:

2Tone
28th-April-2007, 09:03 AM
The Stokie Slide !!- Ah That would be the fab Moved he pulled off at Utopia Last Night.:clap: :respect:

I haven't Done That Before -- Oo eer!!!!:D

Can't actualy describe the move you kinda get pushed and then you slide but all very smooth and feels great!!.:waycool:

As far as I can tell its Stokies own Unique move - Yes he should take claim on it.

A Teacher wants the move!!! - Way to go Stokie!!!!:respect:

firefly
28th-April-2007, 11:23 AM
This sounds like it could be what's been referred to as "the Scottish move" on here before. Afraid I can't Harperlink 'cos I'm rubbish, but if it's the same move I'm thinking of, the leader makes sure the follower's weight is on one foot, slides the follower's second foot out with his/her foot, then brings the follower's first foot in to close, in a kind of foot sandwich. If I remember the discussions right, it's a move that's been borrowed from Argentinian tango :wink:

If it's the same move, then I agree, it is BOSTIN! This is a move I love, so much that, now I'm learning to lead, it's definitely one I want to get into my repertoire as a leader.

If it's actually a different move, let us know all about it; I'm always ready to learn about more :drool: moves :D

Yliander
28th-April-2007, 11:52 AM

My mate Stokie you know him 'Stokebloke' the guy that bounced onto to forum like an excited puppy having discoverd a yo-yo-man spin, a couple of moths ago,:grin: well he's been dancing for 6 months now and fair play he has a go at anything with anyone,..:respect: ...he has been doing a move recently wich is hard for me to explaine but its a pushy, slidy thing, and seem to work with anyone, tall, short, heavy, light, and is realy nice. :worthy: So nice a well respected teacher want's to teach it in her class.:respect:i'm not suprised its BOSTIN :clap:

I havn't found anyone that has done this move before or with anyone else :confused: sounds like a nice move - although by that description - it could be one of half a dozen moves I know. Hopefullly I'll get to experience it on Sunday :flower:

1. how can you find out if its new, or just a rediscover? ask around, check websites;after five (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/) and cerocwiki (http://www.cerocwiki.com) both list moves and break them down, check dvd's

2. how do I claim my prize (only joking Stokie) but if its a Terry's chocolate orange, bagsy two's up?:drool: *shrug* no idea

2a, can you register it or something? not that I have discovered - in Aus it is common practice for teachers/masters level dancers to keep new moves private until a comp/workshop so that they can have something new that no-one else is doing/teaching, as once it's in the public domain it's up for grabs...

bigdjiver
28th-April-2007, 01:25 PM

I havn't found anyone that has done this move before or with anyone else :confused:

So the questions are,

1. how can you find out if its new, or just a rediscover?

2. how do I claim my prize (only joking Stokie) but if its a Terry's chocolate orange, bagsy two's up?:drool:

2a, can you register it or something?

OK i'm not to good on these intelligent treads i'll scuttle back off to TPBM now!

Tar!

:cheers:Dance moves are explicitly denied intellectual property rights. It is a wonderful thing when you "invent" a move for yourself, and full credit is deserved for it. However nearly everything dance has been done before, and there is probably a cave painting somewhere that looks suspiciously like it could be the same thing.

Congrats.

StokeBloke
28th-April-2007, 04:14 PM
This sounds like it could be what's been referred to as "the Scottish move" on here before. Afraid I can't Harperlink 'cos I'm rubbish, but if it's the same move I'm thinking of, the leader makes sure the follower's weight is on one foot, slides the follower's second foot out with his/her foot, then brings the follower's first foot in to close, in a kind of foot sandwich. If I remember the discussions right, it's a move that's been borrowed from Argentinian tango :wink:

I know, and use 'the Scottish move' move and I can state with hand on heart that the Stokie Slide is not that move. WhenI pulled the Stokie Slide on a teacher this Thursday she asked me to teach it to her as she had never seen it before and she would like to teach it - so of course I taught it to her. I have had loads of comments about the move, but nobody has ever said that they have had it pulled on them before.

Come to Nottingham tonight if you are curious and I will show you. Like any slidey thing it works best when the follow is in shoes and not blox.

If the Stokie Slide is a new move.... cool :D If I have just re-discovered a move I will continue to use it as it is completely fab :na:

Cruella
28th-April-2007, 08:55 PM
Me please, I want to have a Stokie Slide. (Especially if it's anything like the Scottish move!)

drathzel
28th-April-2007, 10:55 PM
If it is a new move, it can be submitted to ceroc, tried and tested and hopefully will then come out as a recognised move added to the ceroc dance library.

fletch
29th-April-2007, 04:17 AM
Me please, I want to have a Stokie Slide. (Especially if it's anything like the Scottish move!)

its better, even Maddie squeeled, and smiled, turned and said ooooo I like this one. :worthy:

Thank you both so much for patiently showing Joe, I know I said any hight, size etc, but I don't think he should do it on me :really:

If it is a new move, it can be submitted to ceroc, tried and tested and hopefully will then come out as a recognised move added to the ceroc dance library.

go on Stokie it could be in the libray :respect:

I asked RubyRed and she hadn't had it done one her before, I belive her and BlueShoes were practising it to add into there routieen for the champs next week. :worthy:

bigdjiver
29th-April-2007, 09:36 AM
I used to talk some partners into trying a slide out of a dip. I figured that I could carry all of their weight safely so it would be little different if they had their feet in contact with the ground, sliding.
I never felt that there was any danger of us falling, but the momentum involved meant that once the move was started it had to be seen through to the finish. If other people had moved into our track there seemed no chance of safely avoiding a collision. (There was no-one near enough for collision to be a danger when we practised it.)

How long is the slide involved?

There was a high WOW! factor, and an enthusiastic response from one lady. However the other two ladies that would have felt secure with me carrying them around the room thought the slide exciting, but too scary, so abandoned it.

I believe that experiment is part of dance, and some risk is always involved, but within limits. I look at early Lindy hop clips and wonder how anyone ever thought to try and throw the lady over his head and then do a backward roll over her crouching behind him without looking. However lunatic that clip must have spread the Lindy Hop message to a huge audience.

fletch
29th-April-2007, 09:50 AM
How long is the slide involved?

its about 3 ft from an upright standing position, up close to you partner side by side and then its an out to a lean and then a slide back in, its so simple but realy effective,I think Stokie need to get it filmed and put on hear :waycool:

robd
29th-April-2007, 10:35 AM
Still not quite sure from the descriptions (or lack of) quite what SB's move involves but I know Amir has taught slides out from leans of varying styles for quite some time. I used to do one quite a lot but seem to have let it slip recently. The critical element was the follower keeping the frame nice and taut.

fletch
29th-April-2007, 10:40 AM
Still not quite sure from the descriptions (or lack of) quite what SB's move involves but I know Amir has taught slides out from leans of varying styles for quite some time. I used to do one quite a lot but seem to have let it slip recently. The critical element was the follower keeping the frame nice and taut.

same with this one.

I'll see if Stokie can explain better :blush:

StokeBloke
29th-April-2007, 11:33 AM
I'll see if Stokie can explain better :blush:
I don't want to describe how to do it here because it involves taking your follow off balance, and I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt if someone mistakes my description.

I will be more than happy to show people, Twirlie and I will be at the Ealing on Friday, Slinky's on Saturday, The Champs on Sunday and the tea dance at HMS President on Monday (or any other time you see us out and about). Please come and say 'hi' to us and I will quickly take you through it, it's very nifty but a quick little move.

bigdjiver
29th-April-2007, 12:47 PM
its about 3 ft from an upright standing position, up close to you partner side by side and then its an out to a lean and then a slide back in, its so simple but realy effective,I think Stokie need to get it filmed and put on hear :waycool:Sounds good to me, If it is as I imagine it. I do not recall seeing anything like it.

fletch
29th-April-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't want to describe how to do it here because it involves taking your follow off balance, and I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt if someone mistakes my description.

I will be more than happy to show people, Twirlie and I will be at the Ealing on Friday, Slinky's on Saturday, The Champs on Sunday and the tea dance at HMS President on Monday (or any other time you see us out and about). Please come and say 'hi' to us and I will quickly take you through it, it's very nifty but a quick little move.

getting about a bit aint we :na:

I thought you might prefer to stop in the Midlands, after all there is plenty of room on the dance floor for arials :whistle: :innocent:

will you be doing autograph's as well :rofl:

StokeBloke
29th-April-2007, 01:59 PM
getting about a bit aint we :na:

I thought you might prefer to stop in the Midlands, after all there is plenty of room on the dance floor for arials :whistle: :innocent:

will you be doing autograph's as well :rofl:
Watch it! You're not too big to go over my knee :whistle:

It was great fun at Nottingham last night - met some forumees... and danced with the wonderful RubyRed at long last. Worth the wait, I loved every moment of the dances we shared..... thanks babe :awe:

It was also really lovely doing aerials again last night. Right at the end - last two tracks - the floor was nice and quiet - we were in the quiet corner and got to taste that lovely connection that they bring for the first time in a while. We both left with huge grins, what a super end to a super freestyle night :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

fletch
29th-April-2007, 02:43 PM
It was also really lovely doing aerials again last night. Right at the end - last two tracks - the floor was nice and quiet - we were in the quiet corner and got to taste that lovely connection that they bring for the first time in a while. We both left with huge grins, what a super end to a super freestyle night :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

is then why TB nearly slices a chunck out of blueshoes's face with her stelleto :whistle:

I did some aerials with Blueshoes :clap:

firefly
29th-April-2007, 11:50 PM
I know, and use 'the Scottish move' move and I can state with hand on heart that the Stokie Slide is not that move.

:yeah:

I'm having trouble visualising it from the descriptions, but from the reactions of peoople who've had the move done to them it sounds fabulous :yum:
You don't happen to be coming to Blaze, by any chance? :grin:

rubyred
30th-April-2007, 01:37 AM
It was great fun at Nottingham last night - met some forumees... and danced with the wonderful RubyRed at long last. Worth the wait, I loved every moment of the dances we shared..... thanks babe :awe:

Your welcome honey :hug: it was well worth the wait for me too,:flower: and I look forward to dancing with you at the weekend. Good to meet your lovely wife Twirlie Bird too, as I always seem to be absent on the nights you two go to Knutsford. Loved the Stokie Slide, :respect: have done similar moves but never the version you tried,I think it is original.

fletch
30th-April-2007, 02:46 AM
I think it is original.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yliander
30th-April-2007, 08:00 AM
Got to experience the stokie slide last night!!!!!! ooooooo!!!! - a very nice move - have done moves similar but never anything quite like it - would describe it as a ginger lean slide

well done Stokie!!

Cruella
30th-April-2007, 08:04 AM
Blimey, there are so many women waiting to be 'Stoked'. I hope TwirlieBirds feeding you up StokeBloke! :wink:

StokeBloke
30th-April-2007, 01:25 PM
Blimey, there are so many women waiting to be 'Stoked'. I hope TwirlieBirds feeding you up StokeBloke! :wink:
It does look like I've got my work cut out doesn't it Cruella :eek: Looks like it'll be a busy weekend ahead. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

fletch
30th-April-2007, 03:03 PM
It does look like I've got my work cut out doesn't it Cruella :eek: Looks like it'll be a busy weekend ahead. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I suppose me a TB will be thrown to one side:tears: now you have all 'the good London dancers ' after the 'Stokie Slide' :whistle:

StokeBloke
30th-April-2007, 03:50 PM
I suppose me a TB will be thrown to one side:tears: now you have all 'the good London dancers ' after the 'Stokie Slide' :whistle:
I'm shocked you would even think that Fletch; let alone utter the words aloud :sad: I'm no hotshot, I will even dance with the likes of you :rofl:

I'm standing by for a slapping hahahahahahaa

Twirlie Bird
30th-April-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm shocked you would even think that Fletch; let alone utter the words aloud :sad: I'm no hotshot, I will even dance with the likes of you :rofl:

I'm standing by for a slapping hahahahahahaa

You are ok Fletch. He will even dance with you. :rofl: Notice he didn't mention me :tears:

Mac
1st-May-2007, 12:23 AM

Hey stokie, I'll stoke a few for ya!!:wink:

And Twirly Bird........... Remeber theres always the Cartwheel and Angel moves :whistle:

Mac
1st-May-2007, 12:25 AM
Also I just noticed your shiney new avatar and profile pics. Lovely!!! M M M MMMMMMMM ( U Poser XX):waycool:

Twirlie Bird
1st-May-2007, 12:51 AM
Hey stokie, I'll stoke a few for ya!!:wink:

And Twirly Bird........... Remeber theres always the Cartwheel and Angel moves :whistle:

So there is :whistle:

Also I just noticed your shiney new avatar and profile pics. Lovely!!! M M M MMMMMMMM ( U Poser XX):waycool:

Poser :really: Me? :really: Never :wink:

So excited for the weekend. Just 3 more sleeps until we take on London :rofl:

robd
10th-May-2007, 09:05 AM
Almost forgot to mention that SB showed me the 'Stokie Slide' at Slinkys using MsFab as an unsuspecting demo :D

I don't think it's new as Amir taught a very similar thing at Camber in November 2005 (I could confirm it was exactly the same if the bl**dy DVD would play properly) but regardless of that, if the followers enjoy it then all power to you. I will say, having used Amir's version on occasion, that Bloch trainers and the like when worn by a follower make sliding them a lot more fo a challenge than other dance shoes.

Cruella
10th-May-2007, 12:19 PM
Almost forgot to mention that SB showed me the 'Stokie Slide' at Slinkys using MsFab as an unsuspecting demo :D

I too saw him do the 'slide' and it's definately a Tango type move that i've seen before. Still looks good though, although i'm still waiting to be 'stoked' myself, even after a request to the man himself. What a Hotshot! :whistle: :wink:

Lory
10th-May-2007, 12:26 PM
i'm still waiting to be 'stoked' myself, even after a request to the man himself. What a Hotshot! :whistle: :wink:

I got 'Stoked' on Saturday... does that mean I'm special? :innocent: :D

My comment.... it's small but perfectly formed! :wink: :na:

fletch
10th-May-2007, 03:22 PM
Well we asked Amir at the champs and hes said.............no I will let Stokie tell you hinself :wink:

Astro
10th-May-2007, 05:58 PM
Bloch trainers and the like when worn by a follower make sliding them a lot more fo a challenge than other dance shoes.
Still worked in my bloch trainers.

I got 'Stoked' on Saturday... does that mean I'm special? :innocent: :D

I got 'stoked' before you .....on Friday:na:

rubyred
10th-May-2007, 07:02 PM
I think it is original.

Told ya:cheers:

StokeBloke
10th-May-2007, 07:36 PM
Well we asked Amir at the champs and hes said.............no I will let Stokie tell you hinself :wink:
Amir was kind enough to spend 10 minutes at the champs talking with us about dancing. I showed him the Stokie Slide (Cat was my demo and she slid beautifully). He said it is similar to a move he does (and he showed us) where he pushes from a lean. But it is a different foot lead, he doesn't do the Stokie Slide. He said it was a very nice but probably not new move.

Although Amir said I can still take credit for inventing it as it grew from my imagination. He said that he often 'invents' new things only to see it on YouTube being done by someone else a couple of days later - so it's more a case of re-inventing. If that's good enough for Amir, I'm sure I can cope :wink:

Of all the great things to have come out of the Stokie Slide so far... Fletch awarding it 'move of the weekend' at Chill :D, hearing Yuko squeal with delight :awe: , discussing moves with the mighty Amir :worthy: , having LillyB complain that she didn't get Stokie'd when we danced :flower: , having something worth doing when I finally got to dance with the wonderful Lory :love: , the absolute best and funniest thing without a shadow of a doubt has to be Cruella calling me a Hotshot - I have finally arrived :rofl: :whistle::rofl:

Cruella
11th-May-2007, 08:16 AM
the absolute best and funniest thing without a shadow of a doubt has to be Cruella calling me a Hotshot - I have finally arrived :rofl: :whistle::rofl:

Does that mean I win the prize of being 'Stoked 'at last? :D

Beowulf
11th-May-2007, 09:54 AM
Pah! I invent my own moves all the time*.. the fact that they never get repeated due to (a) them being pants (b) them hurting either the follower (or more often) the Leader and (c) them being completely unintentional and therefore instantly forgotten is neither here nor there ;)

Look forward to learning the Stokie Slide sometime though :respect:

* These moves.. for example ;) (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/368048-post1.html)

Jamie
19th-May-2007, 02:05 AM
I got stoked tonight :blush:

It's rather nice isn't it :drool:

Caz
19th-May-2007, 04:16 PM
Stokie.. i want Stokie Sliding tonight pleeeeaaaaassseee:love:

fletch
19th-May-2007, 04:56 PM
I had two in one dance last night :worthy:

more! more! more!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mac
19th-May-2007, 05:17 PM
Ive been doing the Stockie all over the place!! Guarenteed squils every time!:clap: :worthy:

kiwi_clay
3rd-December-2007, 02:17 PM
Ive been doing the Stockie all over the place!! Guarenteed squils every time!:clap: :worthy:

Youtube please...we blokes downunder are getting jealous

:green eyed monster smiley::(

Daisy Chain
6th-March-2008, 01:29 PM
I suspect that I have been Slid in more than one direction. And it was marvellous. :flower:

Daisy

(An Appreciative Little Flower)

Steven666
6th-March-2008, 01:43 PM
I've tried the Stokie-slide and I like it. Although my smoothness is no match the the original real thing!

jive-vee
6th-March-2008, 01:50 PM
I had a couple of dances with Stoke Bloke at Southport - not sure if I got the Stokie Slide though...next time though please? :flower:

StokeBloke
6th-March-2008, 02:32 PM
I had a couple of dances with Stoke Bloke at Southport - not sure if I got the Stokie Slide though...next time though please? :flower:
If you're unsure, then it didn't happen jive-vee :D De.. de.. definitely next time! I'm pleased the two dances you had with me didn't put you off :flower:

JoannaC
6th-March-2008, 04:40 PM
I had my first Stokie Slide Friday 29th Feb! A pleasant surprise of a move :clap:

Astro
6th-March-2008, 06:35 PM
I have suede on the bottom of my blochs now, so I will be more slidy. :cheers:

Gav
6th-March-2008, 06:55 PM
Youtube please...we blokes downunder are getting jealous

:green eyed monster smiley::(

If you're unsure, then it didn't happen jive-vee :D De.. de.. definitely next time! I'm pleased the two dances you had with me didn't put you off :flower:

So, how about that vid then? ...

StokeBloke
6th-March-2008, 09:00 PM
I have suede on the bottom of my blochs now, so I will be more slidy. :cheers:The problem is that Blochs are so grippy that I don't attempt the move with a dancer wearing them - after all, how would I know that your clod-hoppers have been suede clad :na:

Martin
6th-March-2008, 10:45 PM
Respect to StokeBloke... The thing is, it is new to you, new to those around you, you made it up and the ladies love it...

What more is there? :respect:

If you dig deep enough, someone somewhere might have done the same - that is the way dance develops and the way it is.

So the "Stokie slide" it is :clap::clap:

[Where is that dance clip on youtube, I wanna join in ...] :flower:

Astro
7th-March-2008, 04:13 PM
The problem is that Blochs are so grippy that I don't attempt the move with a dancer wearing them - after all, how would I know that your clod-hoppers have been suede clad :na:

Because I've just told you. :whistle:

StokeBloke
7th-March-2008, 04:43 PM
Because I've just told you. :whistle:
Fair point, well made. I do know that the move works best with follows wearing heeled dance shoes - so that's what I tend to stick to :flower:

Astro
7th-March-2008, 04:50 PM
Fair point, well made. I do know that the move works best with follows wearing heeled dance shoes - so that's what I tend to stick to :flower:

But we've done it a few times in my blochs, sans suede. Remember? :na: