PDA

View Full Version : Atlantan Adventures

MartinHarper
25th-April-2007, 12:11 AM
Someone was asking me for an update on how I've been. So I'm still alive and such.

Last weekend I had the pleasure of a Jordan+Tatiana WCS workshop weekender. They taught us better basics, rolling count, musicOLOGY, and a few moves. We also had one of those Q&A sessions that I heard about on the forum. There were excess leaders, so I got to follow. :)
The musicality class was very good, though largely WCS-specific. It got me thinking about phrasing the music in MJ (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/12215-phrasing-music.html). A lot of forum folks will know how good J+T are, so I won't elaborate much more. It was a smaller workshop than I've encountered them in before, taught "in the round", and I felt that helped some. I also loved the opportunity to practice social WCS with lots of folks who didn't know MJ and didn't know Lindy. Three nights in a row of WCS freestyle, and I feel I have a better appreciation of the dance. Certainly it offers more possibilities than I've seen before now.

This weekend was the Atlanta Lindy Exchange, featuring dancing on Wednesday evening, Thursday evening (till 5am), Friday evening (till 5am), Saturday all day (till 5am), Sunday all day (till 5am), and Monday evening. No workshops, no competitions, just a huge amount of social dancing, some food, some sleep. Three live bands, of which the Friday band "Kingsized" appealed the most to me. The Sunday band was good, but a teensy bit too fond of long songs and tempo changes for my taste. I also got to "host" - an important part of the exchange scene - and had a number of out-of-town folks crashing in various parts of my apartment. I was worried a bit about this, but it was a very positive experience. I even got a free meal and a bottle of wine out of it.

I've mentioned elsewhere that the Lindy scene here is younger than the MJ or Lindy dance scenes in the UK, with a heavy college influence in both teachers and dancers. I'm also noticing more variety here, with dancers/DJs mixing in some Hustle, Texas Two-Step, Salsa, Cha-Cha, and Waltz, over the course of an evening. Another difference is that the Lindy dancers are fonder of dance jams (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/6091-dance-jams.html). Certainly they're very good at encouraging each other and playing off each other, and you get a decent variety of folks taking turns to enter the scary circle. Plus they happen at the small weekly dances as well as the huge weekend freestyles. Possibly uniquely suited to the USA psyche.

Lou
25th-April-2007, 01:21 PM
Someone was asking me for an update on how I've been. So I'm still alive and such.

Whadidimiss? :eek:

Astro
26th-April-2007, 11:41 AM
Whadidimiss? :eek:

Martin has left our shores and is dancing in Atlanta, USA with college girls.:D The Jammy so and so even got to do a workshop with Jordan and Titania:waycool:

jiveknight
27th-April-2007, 12:58 AM
I've mentioned elsewhere that the Lindy scene here is younger than the MJ or Lindy dance scenes in the UK, with a heavy college influence in both teachers and dancers. I'm also noticing more variety here, with dancers/DJs mixing in some Hustle, Texas Two-Step, Salsa, Cha-Cha, and Waltz, over the course of an evening. Another difference is that the Lindy dancers are fonder of dance jams (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/6091-dance-jams.html). Certainly they're very good at encouraging each other and playing off each other, and you get a decent variety of folks taking turns to enter the scary circle. Plus they happen at the small weekly dances as well as the huge weekend freestyles. Possibly uniquely suited to the USA psyche.

Great, Atlanta was the first spot we hit in the US, 1996 for the olympics. We often play for the jam ups which are great (although more recently in DC). We used to work with Jason and Amy but I think they moved away.

Have a great time..jealous..:cheers:

DianaS
29th-April-2007, 10:55 PM
Great, Atlanta was the first spot we hit in the US, 1996 for the olympics. We often play for the jam ups which are great (although more recently in DC). We used to work with Jason and Amy but I think they moved away.

Have a great time..jealous..:cheers:

Yep definatly deserves negatiove reps :D

MartinHarper
30th-May-2007, 01:13 AM
Still alive.

So, despite lack of preparation, I did make it to some of the US Grand Nationals at Atlanta. I was certainly impressed by the event, though for me it wasn't sufficiently impressive to warrant international travel on its own.

I feel that the highlight of the event was Benji Schwimmer demonstrating that it's possible to dance West Coast and have a sense of humour. Also, he displayed a refreshing lack of the ramrod posture I have come to associate with the dance.

It is certainly not a cheap event. In particular, I was shocked to see a DVD of the event retailing at $95. I guess this might be a reasonable price for a teacher or a competitor, but it felt way over the odds to me. However, there is good value for money, with free bottled water, ice cream, popcorn, and doughnuts, an excellent air-conditioned ballroom, and late music. A $95 pass gets four nights of dancing and three days of demos and competitions, with each workshop $10 extra.

The Strictly Swing competition and the Jack and Jill finals are even more inspirational in person than via YouTube. Musicality without choreography, at its finest. Absolutely sets the bar for what is achievable within partner dance.

I continue to fake West Coast with Slotted Lindy minus Charleston, along with the other Lindy folks who were there. Apparently last year there was a "Lindy room", but since all the Lindy folks are cheapskate students they decided not to repeat the event this time. I'm guessing we stole the towels or something.

Carolina Shag is worth seeing as a leader just so you have a point of reference next time someone accuses you of showing off too much, or not giving the follower enough time to play. I'd been told it was a "leader spotlight" dance, but I hadn't really come to terms with what that means. Very entertaining, and certainly a broadening experience. It's vaguely lead/follow compatible with East Coast, but not West Coast or Modern Jive.

There was a good ribbon dance in the Cabaret Division that was my personal favourite. Ribbons + Lifts = Grudging Admiration.

MartinHarper
30th-May-2007, 01:31 AM
dancing in Atlanta, USA with college girls

I'd just like to make it clear that these are highly respectable college girls that only rarely go out dancing in their underwear.

IMG_0538 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonibduguid/479278231/in/set-72157600130661697/)

MartinHarper
12th-February-2008, 09:07 PM
Another trip, provisionally booked for March 8th through to May 31st. This means Atlanta Lindy Exchange and USA Grand Nationals.
Happy Martin.