PDA

View Full Version : Does the Casbah rock?

Marlene
24th-July-2003, 05:39 PM
"Rock the Casbah" - is this the place in the song?( apologies for being an ignorant Cerocer from north of the border).

Going to be staying in London on Fri 1st Aug(en route to a flamenco holiday in Jerez:D ), and being a sad Ceroc addict I thought I would check out what was happening down there that evening, and get one more Ceroc fix to last me for the week I will be absent. Anyone been to the Casbah and would you recommend it for me to go to on my own?? Comments on their experiences would be welcome.

Or if there is anyone who goes there regularly and is a subsciber here, I am looking for some reassurance that I won't be a wallflower and get no dances at all :tears:

Lisa
25th-July-2003, 10:37 AM
Hiya Marlene,

You lucky thing ....a Flamengo Hol it sounds the biz ... we will want demonstrations when you get back. :yum:

Lorna and I had a great time at the Casbah a couple of weeks ago. It's hot so remember your lovely spanish fans! There is also a ceroc night in St Marys (York St nearest tube Marylebone). A great venue. You'll definitely not be a wallflower my love since there are lots of people to dance with. If you get stuck you can always resort to wearing your school uniform again...:devil: last time you seemed to attract all the young 19yrs olds!!

See you tonight for some BBVD

Lisa x

Sheepman
25th-July-2003, 03:54 PM
My Casbah days are over.
Despite it being just a couple of miles up the road, I now avoid it because it is hot, overcrowded, and with a floor that wrecks my knees and feet. A shame, as I love Mike Ellard's taste in music, and the way he teaches. (Is he still the resident there?)
So instead, if I'm dancing on a Friday night, I join the traffic jams, and head around 40 miles or so out of London.
But maybe you shouldn't take too much notice of this, as it is over a year since I last went, and I gather that it is still always busy.
I have had St Mary's recommended to me, but haven't made it there yet.

Greg

Bill
26th-July-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Sheepman
I now avoid it because it is hot, overcrowded, and with a floor that wrecks my knees and feet.
Greg

have to agree I'm afraid. Despite all I heard before I first went I found the casbah small, hot and very crowded but I did have some really good dances.However, I would avoid it if there was an alternative as it's much worse even than a hot night in Dundee !!!! :na: :wink:

Jon
27th-July-2003, 05:56 PM
Yep agree with everyone here that the Casbah sucks, very hot and way too crowded and very unfriendly. I know people who are Ceroc teachers and taxi dancers that have been refused dances here. Other London venues are fine. Head over to St Marys Church for a better friday night out in London.

DavidB
28th-July-2003, 09:58 AM
You occasionally get some good nights at the Casbah. Unfortunately you get too many poor ones as well. There are still some very good dancers who go there, but not as many as there used to be. Most go to Hipsters and possibly Fulham during the week, and take Friday off.

It is far too hot, despite enough fans in there to go windsurfing. You sometimes think you need to change your shirt before you start dancing.

The music is sometimes excellent, and sometimes boring. You tend to get a lot of latin, some swing and lounge music, and relatively little modern stuff.

It had a reputation for being unfriendly, but I don't think it is as bad as it used to be. But like London in general, don't expect everyone to be as welcoming as they are in Scotland! There are some ladies there who turn down dances regularly, but I don't remember seeing any men do the same.

It has one big advantage over St Mary's - a longer freestyle session.

David

Dave Hancock
28th-July-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
It had a reputation for being unfriendly.... don't expect everyone to be as welcoming as they are in Scotland! There are some ladies there who turn down dances regularly, but I don't remember seeing any men do the same.

Shall be in London this Thursday and was going to go to Fulham, am I likely to find this an unfriendly venue and am I likely to turned down by many ladies???

DavidB
28th-July-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
... Fulham, am I likely to find this an unfriendly venue and am I likely to turned down by many ladies??? It is not unfriendly, just not as friendly as some venues. A lot of people like Fulham, and there are some very good dancers there on Thursday. It is only a very small minority who seem to turn down dances - maybe 1 in 20?

I find it too dark unless you dance close to the stage, but most people don't seem to mind. The music is very 'safe', so don't expect anything unusual. On the other hand every song is danceable.

It is probably the best bet on a Thursday in London - the new Jive Bar seems to be having a lot of problems with its new venue.

David

cerocmetro
28th-July-2003, 02:37 PM
I suppose I have to plug my own venue, it is just North of London, but not too far. St Albans is a fabulous venue, great dancers teachers and Jon Brett is the DJ. :waycool:

If anyone disgarees then let me know and we will improve it, but I am not sure if that is possible. We quite often have to extend the evening to stop people from killing the venue manager.

You will always find some of the best known dancers around there and if they ever turn you down for a dance they will have me jumping on them, I hate that. Especially the girl who turned me down at Hammersmith. She just looked me up and down and said no, she was watching the teachers. :really:

Also DavidB, how do you rate Cheshunt, bit of a journey from central London, but a good alternative for Friday nights?

Adam

Rachel
28th-July-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by cerocmetro
... and Jon Brett is the DJ. :waycool:
I'd follow that DJ anywhere - great music, never boring. What I like most are the wierd and wonderful tracks he tends to play last thing as everyone's leaving - Marc and I always seem to have our best dances to those. Not quite sure why - perhaps cos it's just impossible to take them seriously!
R.

Pammy
28th-July-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by cerocmetro [/i]
I suppose I have to plug my own venue, it is just North of London, but not too far. St Albans is a fabulous venue, great dancers teachers and Jon Brett is the DJ. :waycool:

Agree totally with you here. You have a good floor too, always nice and clean and great for spinning, unlike the Casbah, which is uneven, and often dirty.

Especially the girl who turned me down at Hammersmith. She just looked me up and down and said no, she was watching the teachers. :really:

More fool her for turning you down. Next time, can you come and ask me instead as I'd love a dance with you ??!! :nice:

P

cerocmetro
28th-July-2003, 03:11 PM
Thank you P, I look forward to it.

There was a funny ending to that story though, that same girl was right in the front row at the next Hammersmith when I happended to be teaching.

I could tell from the deep red make up that she remembered the incident.:waycool:

A

Pammy
28th-July-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by cerocmetro
Thank you P, I look forward to it.

There was a funny ending to that story though, that same girl was right in the front row at the next Hammersmith when I happended to be teaching.

I could tell from the deep red make up that she remembered the incident.:waycool:

A

Good. It's horrible when you get blown out; so embarrassing. You have to do the *walk of shame* :tears: on to the next victim!!! The thing is, if you're asking someone *good* to dance, surely that shows that you want to better yourself, and even if you're not at that persons level there and then, maybe one day you will be, and they'll be the ones dying to dance with you.

I guess it's just a question of whether or not you're the sort of person who would seek revenge and turn them down when the boots on the other foot.

I'm a bit gutless so I'd probably accept, then kick myself later!!! :wink:

Will you be at Hammersmith on the 9th?

Pammy

Will
28th-July-2003, 07:55 PM
May I add my recommendation for St Marys on Friday nights. Simply the best dance floor I know of.

Will.

Marlene
30th-July-2003, 09:00 AM
Thank you all for your comments regarding dancing on a Friday night in London. I think I'll head for St Marys, since the comments on the Casbah aren't too promising, and hope I get some dances!!