PDA

View Full Version : Is there a place for an appropriate aerial?

CJ
23rd-July-2003, 02:26 PM
Assuming there is the room for it, without bullying or barging for the space...

Assuming, too, that you and your partner are equally well versd in said aerial...

Out on a limb, here, but imagine that it actually fits with the music...

Any options I've missed, then please suggest to Franck.:wink:

You can only vote once, so vote early and vote often.... multiple votes ARE allowed, but don't really see why you'd need them...

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-July-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
You can only vote once, so vote early and vote often.... multiple votes ARE allowed, but don't really see why you'd need them...

I need multiple votes to mess up your statistics early on :)

Pammy
23rd-July-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
I need multiple votes to mess up your statistics early on :)

There's always one! :wink:

xSalsa_Angelx
23rd-July-2003, 04:34 PM
what's an aerial ?? have seen this move listed, but have no scooby how its done....

CJ
23rd-July-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
what's an aerial ?? have seen this move listed, but have no scooby how its done....

Over to scooby on this one....:D

An aerial is, basically, a jump. There are many: some relatively simple; some more difficult; most have the potential to look good and ALL have the potential to injure if done badly or irresponsibly.

Every now and again, aerials get a good shoe-ing, so thought I'd poll and see what the general view is.....

Chicklet
23rd-July-2003, 04:47 PM

have you REALLY picked these words not knowing what scooby does?:rofl:

xSalsa_Angelx
23rd-July-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet

Why is scooby famous for doing aerials???

just used the quote dont have a scooby (meaning I have no idea)

CJ

Good point: I think Scooby is good at jumps.

Who he does them, you'd need to ask.....

CJ
HOW he does tham...

CJ
23rd-July-2003, 04:52 PM
I have lost the ability to type... off to cry myself to , em Glasgow:D

Sheepman
23rd-July-2003, 05:48 PM
As far as I know, there are 2 definitions of what constitutes an air step, as far as different competitions are concerned.

1) Where you don't have one foot on the ground.
2) When you are held above your partners shoulders!

I suspect in real life (?) the truth is somewhere in between, and it always has to be safety first. For your partner's and other people's sake.

What really frightens me (luckily it rarely happens, and only with people I don't know) is when a woman leaps into an air step that I've not lead!:mad:

Greg

Graham
23rd-July-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
Good point: I think Scooby is good at jumps.
Scooby doesn't NEED to be good at jumps: his partner does! But yes he is indeed skilled at aerials, and in fact did a couple on Monday at the (rather crowded :really: ) "other place" :what:

spindr
23rd-July-2003, 06:18 PM
I must admit I'm getting fed up with people practicing throws and low dips (lady's head below waist level) during normal freestyle --- even if they are practising to compete, e.g. at "the Masters".

If you're leading freestyle with a beginner or exuberant intermediate you can often find that they'll travel 2-3 feet further than was led. Normally this isn't a problem in normal freestyle you can usually do a quick recovery move, etc. no harm done. Even if there's a collision, then in all likelihood it'll be fairly minor and no one gets hurt.

However, if you're dancing next to someone dropping the lady onto the floor, or throwing legs around there's much more scope for damage -- naturally I tend to try and give them a wide berth. However, I feel that we all pay the same entrance fee, and we should all get the same space to dance in.

So for me enough room for an aerial is when everyone on the floor has enough space to avoid you and don't have to bunch up together to give those dancing drops / throws and aerials enough room to avoid accidents. Say a good 2-3 meters between all couples on the dance floor minimum.

Neil.

Dance Demon
23rd-July-2003, 06:34 PM
I always find the best place for an aeriel, is on the roof....the higher the better for reception......:D

bigdjiver
23rd-July-2003, 11:36 PM
My worst moment on the Ceroc floor was doing a dip and havig someone clip my partners head with their elbow.

I like the more extravagant strength moves, as do many ladies. I still do arials and dips, but now I do them on the edge, or preferably in a corner, of the dance floor, where there is no danger of collision.

Gary
24th-July-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
I still do arials and dips, but now I do them on the edge, or preferably in a corner, of the dance floor, where there is no danger of collision.

Even the edges and corners have some danger of collision. People walking onto or around the dance floor often aren't watching where they're going :(

The price of aerials is eternal vigilance.

xSalsa_Angelx
24th-July-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
I always find the best place for an aeriel, is on the roof....the higher the better for reception......:D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Yeah Even Rod Hull and Emu Died doing this move :rofl: :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
24th-July-2003, 09:41 AM
Yeah Even Rod Hull and Emu Died doing this move :rofl: :rofl:

Emu is a puppet and is still alive ! :)

xSalsa_Angelx
24th-July-2003, 09:43 AM
Emu is a puppet and is still alive ! :)

So was Rod ..... Old Perv that he was...!!! :rofl:

Pammy
24th-July-2003, 09:46 AM
So was Rod ..... Old Perv that he was...!!! :rofl:

Wasn't he just. Who's hand was up who, that's the question I'd like answered.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm almost wishing I hadn't read this post as I'm reminded of another old perv, that flippin' Keith Harris with Orville and that nasty monkey... I think I can safely say that is an example of television at it's worst!

P

xSalsa_Angelx
24th-July-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
Wasn't he just. Who's hand was up who, that's the question I'd like answered.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm almost wishing I hadn't read this post as I'm reminded of another old perv, that flippin' Keith Harris with Orville and that nasty monkey... I think I can safely say that is an example of television at it's worst!

P

Would you believe when I was younger I used to fancy Him :rofl: went out and bought that crappy song he had out with that gren duck..... :rofl:

Oooops should not have admitted that now, will get the p*ss taken out of me......!!!!:D

Pammy
24th-July-2003, 09:59 AM
[B]Would you believe when I was younger I used to fancy Him :rofl: went out and bought that crappy song he had out with that gren duck..... :rofl:

*Ponders* what's worse the fancy, or buying the song??? Hmmm, not sure ;)

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself though, I myself could confess to a mild crush on Timmy Mallett as a youngster. Therefore when you find out where to go for your therapy, please take me with you!!

"Wakaday Wakaday Wakaday... "

xSalsa_Angelx
24th-July-2003, 10:01 AM
*Ponders* what's worse the fancy, or buying the song??? Hmmm, not sure ;)

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself though, I myself could confess to a mild crush on Timmy Mallett as a youngster. Therefore when you find out where to go for your therapy, please take me with you!!

"Wakaday Wakaday Wakaday... "
:rofl: :rofl:

Graham
24th-July-2003, 11:55 AM
I'll let both of you off on the grounds that you must have been very young at the time. But it does make me seriously fear for your sanity!! On the other hand, I'm now nervous of meeting either of you in case you turn into stalkers, as you obviously have very low standards! On the other other hand it would be a tad embarrassing if you DON'T turn into stalkers as it would mean I was less attractive than KH & TM!! :really: :really: :really:

xSalsa_Angelx
24th-July-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Graham
I'll let both of you off on the grounds that you must have been very young at the time. But it does make me seriously fear for your sanity!! On the other hand, I'm now nervous of meeting either of you in case you turn into stalkers, as you obviously have very low standards! On the other other hand it would be a tad embarrassing if you DON'T turn into stalkers as it would mean I was less attractive than KH & TM!! :really: :really: :really:

Think I must have been about 10 at the time ..... Very Glad I still dont have a crush on KH .... He must be a fair age by now???

Don't worry not much chance of me turning into a stalker :D
Graham, Am sure you are better looking than TM or KH any day :D

Pammy
24th-July-2003, 11:59 AM
as it would mean I was less attractive than KH & TM!! :really: :really: :really:

Does such a person exist???

If so, I don't want to meet him!

Rest assured, I am not the *stalker* type!

*Makes mental note to don dark classes and mac, and fake moustache before catching the next train from London to Scotland*

Graham
24th-July-2003, 12:32 PM
Does such a person exist??? It's really tempting to say something here, but I really shouldn't - I've already slagged him off once today, and what with his lack of broadband he might not be able to bounce back with a witty retort........:wink: :devil:

(Sorry for the in-joke, Pammy/Lynz!)

Sheepman
24th-July-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by spindr
So for me enough room for an aerial is when everyone on the floor has enough space to avoid you and don't have to bunch up together to give those dancing drops / throws and aerials enough room to avoid accidents. Say a good 2-3 meters between all couples on the dance floor minimum.

(Boringly) back on thread - this sounds about right to me - about 10 sq metres of free space, ie a very empty floor, though for some moves even this is not enough. Some little and quick air steps don't need this much.
I recall the occasion of a friend being knocked unconscious by a 14 stone woman's foot, she was flying round on someone's shoulders. True, I have respect for him getting her up there, but none regarding his idiocy doing it in a crowded venue.

greg

Pammy
24th-July-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
a friend being knocked unconscious by a 14 stone woman's foot[/B]

Sounds like she got off lightly. Jeesh a foot weighing fourteen stone foot could have done a lot more damage :wink:

Sheepman
24th-July-2003, 02:43 PM
Ooops!

Graham W
25th-July-2003, 05:56 PM
..somewhere on the Bristol forum is the memorable remark from a lady who was propelled into a pillar by an aerial by some well known oaf and then saying it was her fault... yeah for dancing with him, love..

Gus
26th-July-2003, 10:21 AM
...and it comes down to the age old conversation .... if the bloke knows what he's doing ..... and of course the truth is that the vast majority of guys dont know:mad:

I've seen the likes of Andy and Rena practice, heard about the lengths that Dave and Lily go to ... yet the average munter intermediate seems to think doing one class is sufficient to go 'live' with arials. When I did sef defence we practiced for hours on padded mats, with obersever to get our throws and take downs right. We were young, very fit and relativey strong ... yet I've seen out of condition, middle aged guys who would be challenged by openning a can of spam throwing their partners around with no real undertanding of balance or dynamics ......

...personal view of course :wink:

bigdjiver
26th-July-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by gcapell
Even the edges and corners have some danger of collision. People walking onto or around the dance floor often aren't watching where they're going :(

The price of aerials is eternal vigilance.

True, I should have made clear it was unpopulated corners and edges.

Heather
27th-July-2003, 10:48 PM
:D :D The appropriate place for an ariel is either on top of your Television on on the roof of your house!!!!
Heather,
:hug: :kiss:

DavidB
28th-July-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Heather
The appropriate place for an ariel is either on top of your Television on on the roof of your house!!!! Oh Heather!! I let it go with Gus, because he can't spell at the best of times.

The proper place for Ariel (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap960303.html) is orbiting the planet Uranus. It might be a bit too big and heavy to go on your roof, never mind the TV.

A TV antenna in an aerial, a lift is an aerial move.

Arial is a town in South Carolina, about 15 miles west of Greenville.

An Aeriel (http://www.returnergames.com/resources/race_aeriel.html) is a Elf with wings.

David

(Someone told me years ago "If you want to start doing ariels [sic], you should start by learning to spell it properly")

Pammy
28th-July-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
[B]Oh Heather!! I let it go with Gus, because he can't spell at the best of times.</b>

I think we've found the guy who always wins at trivial pursuit!

Px

CJ
28th-July-2003, 10:39 AM
Oh, stupid me, that's bold.

TheTramp
28th-July-2003, 11:11 AM
Oh Heather!! I let it go with Gus, because he can't spell at the best of times.

A TV antenna in an aerial, a lift is an aerial move.

David

(Someone told me years ago "If you want to start doing ariels [sic], you should start by learning to spell it properly") Oooh. I think he got you there Heather!!!

However you can probably get him back for mistyping 'is' as 'in' in the next sentence.

Do I win the pedantry award now??

Steve

Pammy
28th-July-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
However you can probably get him back for mistyping 'is' as 'in' in the next sentence.

Do I win the pedantry award now??[/B]

There are no is's or in's in your next sentence?

Do I win now???

P

TheTramp
28th-July-2003, 11:27 AM
There are no is's or in's in your next sentence?

Do I win now???

P Yeah. You win. 3 dances with me.

That'll teach you!! :D

Steve

Pammy
28th-July-2003, 11:32 AM
Yeah. You win. 3 dances with me.

That'll teach you!! :D

Steve

Are you saying I need teaching??? :wink:

Still, 3 dances sounds like a good win to me, hence...
<i>Sold, to the woman with the toilet roll and shrunken head"</i>

TheTramp
28th-July-2003, 11:35 AM
Are you saying I need teaching??? :wink:

Still, 3 dances sounds like a good win to me, hence...
<i>Sold, to the woman with the toilet roll and shrunken head"</i> Ummm. So. You obviously haven't danced with me before :D

Steve

Pammy
28th-July-2003, 11:39 AM
Ummm. So. You obviously haven't danced with me before :D

Steve

Until the 6th of August then...

TheTramp
29th-July-2003, 01:09 PM
Until the 6th of August then... Looking forward to it.

Promise to be gentle with me though. I'm just a beginner.... :wink:

Steve

Pammy
29th-July-2003, 01:17 PM
Ok, but don't pull the safety cord!

Looking forward to it.

Steve :wink:

Heather
29th-July-2003, 01:52 PM
Oh Heather!! I let it go with Gus, because he can't spell at the best of times.

David

(Someone told me years ago "If you want to start doing ariels [sic], you should start by learning to spell it properly")

:tears: :tears: Sorry David, I stand corrected!!!!I'm still recovering from the Greek holiday and alphabet!!!! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!!!:wink:

Catch you for a dance or two in Perth??

Heather,
XX

xSalsa_Angelx
29th-July-2003, 01:52 PM
Looking forward to it.

Steve

Beginner my butt ..... :rofl:

DavidB
29th-July-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Heather
Catch you for a dance or two in Perth?? NO!!! I refuse to only dance with you twice! It has to be at least 4, or I'm not flying up!

Pammy
29th-July-2003, 02:34 PM
NO!!! I refuse to only dance with you twice! It has to be at least 4, or I'm not flying up!

But I only got two off of you. Does that mean I should go off in a sulk??? :tears: :tears: :tears:

Px

Franck
29th-July-2003, 02:36 PM
But I only got two off of you. Does that mean I should go off in a sulk??? :tears: :tears: :tears: No need Pammy, nothing personal... It's a Scottish thing... In Scotland you always get twice the fun :D
:waycool:

Franck.

p.s. I'd be delighted to dance with you too next time you're up here... :nice:

Dreadful Scathe
29th-July-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Franck
p.s. I'd be delighted to dance with you too next time you're up here... :nice:

Yes Pammy...I'd also be delighted to dance with you two ;).

Pammy
29th-July-2003, 02:54 PM
In Scotland you always get [b]twice the fun :D
:waycool:

Always twice? Even, better :wink:

and you are most definitely on :cheers:

Graham
29th-July-2003, 02:57 PM
Always twice? Even, better :wink:

and you are most definitely on :cheers: When are you coming then? :wink:

Pammy
29th-July-2003, 02:57 PM
Yes Pammy...I'd also be delighted to dance with you two ;).

Me too :-)

With you that is :wink:

Although I hope you wear a shirt, or do you only dance with a bare blue chest in your white kecks and hat??? :wink:

Pammy
29th-July-2003, 03:01 PM
When are you coming then? :wink:

Probably not before you come down :wink:

afterall, I'll be dancing with you in about four weeks!!!

do you think we should go with the pinky/perky theme?

Px

Graham
29th-July-2003, 04:31 PM
do you think we should go with the pinky/perky theme?
Not sure yet - bring your snout just in case.
Gx

Pammy
29th-July-2003, 04:37 PM
Not sure yet - bring your snout just in case.
Gx

Don't know about bring it, if we ditch the theme, I'll just need to take it off; although that may leave a tan mark :wink:

Graham
29th-July-2003, 04:44 PM
Don't know about bring it, if we ditch the theme, I'll just need to take it off; although that may leave a tan mark :wink: Forgot to check before - you can sing in an irritatingly high voice, I take it?

Pammy
29th-July-2003, 05:01 PM
Forgot to check before - you can sing in an irritatingly high voice, I take it?

Quite yeah, put your fingers in your ears and I'll have a blast; see if you can hear me from here...

Why, are we going to "sing" the others off of the floor?

In which case, you're right, with my voice, that may be a good tactic!

Chicklet
29th-July-2003, 05:06 PM
Quite yeah, put your fingers in your ears and I'll have a blast; see if you can hear me from here...

ooh Pammy, tread careful, Graham's a bit useful with ears these days.......watch out it's cos it's not his own he's likely to be fingering given half a chance.:D

Heather
29th-July-2003, 05:08 PM
NO!!! I refuse to only dance with you twice! It has to be at least 4, or I'm not flying up!

:D :D No problem David. Can't wait!!!!:waycool: :D

Heather,
XX

Pammy
29th-July-2003, 05:08 PM
ooh Pammy, tread careful, Graham's a bit useful with ears these days.......watch out it's cos it's not his own he's likely to be fingering given half a chance.:D

:what:

lol

Thank you for the warning, and no comment :wink:

Sheepman
29th-July-2003, 05:40 PM
P
You are too young and innocent to be reading this! :rofl:
Greg

Chicklet
29th-July-2003, 05:48 PM
P
You are too young and innocent to be reading this! :rofl:
Greg

sir, you missunderstand my motives perchance, as an innocent victim myself, I felt it only right that young Pammy should be forewarned, by a friend, that the G-man lures you into a dance with his gentlemanly upright demeanor and then he'll whisper something so you have to lean forward to catch his dulcet tones and wham, bam, I'll be grabbin those ma'am. I recommend a liberal coating of 8 Hour Cream (girly cosmetic reference) so he can't get a fast hold.:D

Sheepman
29th-July-2003, 05:55 PM
Many thanks Chicklet, that explains a lot, I wonder if Pammy and I should have a trial run of this before she heads north, so that she's better prepared for the real thing! :D :D
Greg

Graham
29th-July-2003, 06:01 PM
Many thanks Chicklet, that explains a lot, I wonder if Pammy and I should have a trial run of this before she heads north, so that she's better prepared for the real thing! :D :D
Greg Good idea, Greg - let me know how you get on with the 8 hour cream. :wink:

Pammy
30th-July-2003, 09:37 AM
Good idea, Greg - let me know how you get on with the 8 hour cream. :wink:

He used it last night and <i>ooooo la la</i>:wink:

Sheepman
30th-July-2003, 01:57 PM
He used it last night and <i>ooooo la la</i>:wink:
And there was no cream involved, but I'm not at all sure I did it right. :innocent:
Greg
PS Pammy's ears are no place for an aerial.

Graham
30th-July-2003, 01:59 PM
PS Pammy's ears are no place for an aerial. I suppose she's got satellite then?

Pammy
30th-July-2003, 02:01 PM
Pammy's ears are no place for an aerial.

Oh yeah, I forgot that one!!!

I'll be testing your reception next time Wooly.

Px

PS You going tomorrow?

Sheepman
30th-July-2003, 04:01 PM
I'll be testing your reception next time Wooly.

Sorry - what did you say?

Should be there tomorrow.
Greg

Pammy
30th-July-2003, 04:12 PM
Sorry - what did you say?

Should be there tomorrow.
Greg

IIIII SSSAAAIIIIIDDD I'LLLL BBBEEEE TEEESSSTTINNNNGGG... Oh nevermind, I never could do shouting well!! :wink:

Chris
6th-August-2003, 04:51 AM
Rather an old thread, but I've just noticed it on their website so thought I'd mention it - Ceroc NZ *ban* aerials and lifts at the studio (which might just mean their central dance venue in Auckland but they also seem to apply the term to dance venues).

I think there's a few misconceptions about 'safe' - you and your partner may be able to 'do' an aerial safely but that doesn't mean it won't freak out someone dancing next to you, even when it seems like there's room. How do you know that a couple won't want to suddenly improvise with the floorspace you've left free?

Tiny lifts that don't have feet flying in unexpected directions through the air are less threatening, but it's quite hard to draw the line.

I've never seen Andy & rena do an aerial in freestyle . . .

All sounds a bit boring though - maybe it could be spiced up a bit by having mini freestyle sessions for aerials only, a few couples at a time? It would also make an interesting wee cabaret for spectators (possibly using a simple A&R style legal disclaimer for participants so as to minimize legal liability liability problems - doesn't sound like the sort of thing Ceroc UK wiould go for but Franck might be feeling adventurous at a special event weekend . . . < g >).

Franck
6th-August-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Chris
Rather an old thread, but I've just noticed it on their website so thought I'd mention it - Ceroc NZ *ban* aerials and lifts It seems to me like a sensible approach :nice: Social dances (and that includes all ceroc classes and parties) are not suitable for aerial moves.
50% think it's ok as long as the conditions are right and the moves are done properly, and in that case I agree, but conditions are *never* right, most of the time, aerials are done badly, dangerously, on relatively crowded dance floors, with partners that a lot of the time have not practised the move enough, or in the worst cases didn't expect or want to be lifted!!! :reallymad
Being strong is not enough to justify doing the moves... :sad:

All sounds a bit boring though - ......
- doesn't sound like the sort of thing Ceroc UK wiould go for but Franck might be feeling adventurous at a special event weekend . . . < g >). I don't think I would want to have mini aerial freestyles either... showing off is great, and for that, we have competitions, cabarets, etc...
I also would argue with your 'sounds boring' comment... I find dancing totally thrilling and exciting without aerials, and don't need to have my partner up side down to have a good time! :D

Franck.

Grant
6th-August-2003, 12:57 PM
i completely agree with you franck
even though it means i have nowhere to do those aerials i learnt last weekend

Grant

Franck
6th-August-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Grant
i completely agree with you franck
even though it means i have nowhere to do those aerials i learnt last weekendI realise it *is* a problem though it's not as bad as all that... Some classes do have extra space where aerials can be practised, especially if you're planning them for a competition or a cabaret... Monday night in Glasgow was a good example, though I gather you all had aching muscles :wink: :D

Best place to do aerials is the swimming pool in my opinion :waycool:

Franck.

Grant
6th-August-2003, 01:10 PM
Best place to do aerials is the swimming pool in my opinion :waycool:

Franck.
good idea...
but bad country to try it in (i've got no padding to keep me warm :sad: )

Grant

Chris
6th-August-2003, 01:33 PM
. . . I also would argue with your 'sounds boring' comment...
Franck.

Oh good - it was meant to be tongue in cheek . . .

:confused: Someone told me this morning that someone was killed - yes killed - in the UK from a flying kick on the dancefloor (I don't think it was a jive venue). I don't know if it was true but it certainly could happen (imagine 1st move jump - bounce from each hip then a central kick in the air - a kitten heel to the eye could probably kill someone).

I don't that aerials are really 'ceroc' but some might disagree

Graham
6th-August-2003, 01:51 PM
good idea...
but bad country to try it in (i've got no padding to keep me warm :sad: ) We do actually have heated indoor pools in this country. However, I'm sure there would be MUCH interest if you wanted to demonstrate on the beach opposite Nardinis. I'm sure I could even bribe a partner for you!

Grant
6th-August-2003, 01:59 PM
I'm sure there would be MUCH interest if you wanted to demonstrate on the beach opposite Nardinis. I'm sure I could even bribe a partner for you!
an extremely generous offer graham...
but the only thing i will be doing opposite Nardinis is eating one of their world famous ice creams. :nice:
i will, of course, remain fully clothed during this performance :wink:

Grant

bigdjiver
6th-August-2003, 11:06 PM
For the most part Ceroc is a slot dance, where the slot is approximately defined by the man and lady standing opposite each other, right hand to right hand, at maximum stretch, then loosening their grip and spinning on the spot with arms outstretched. The area so covered, plus 18" for clearance, could be regarded as their slot. If everybody recognises that slot, and does not go out of theirs or into anothers, there should be no problem.

Any travelling move has the potential for an accident, and any accident can have serious consequences. The freestyle after the Columbian has been taught always tends to be dicey.

Where speed and dynamics are involved more clearance is required, and more care needed to ensure that those in the area are savvy enough to keep clear.

In any "projectile" or travelling move I try and make sure we are directed towards a vacant corner of the room, and there is plenty of clearance around us.

Ceroc, and most social activities, tend to have an element of spectator sport about them. I think some spectacular moves help make an evening. I would hate to see a blanket ban on arials.

DavidB
7th-August-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
For the most part Ceroc is a slot dance, where the slot is approximately defined by the man and lady standing opposite each other, right hand to right hand, at maximum stretch, then loosening their grip and spinning on the spot with arms outstretched. The area so covered, plus 18" for clearance, could be regarded as their slot. If everybody recognises that slot, and does not go out of theirs or into anothers, there should be no problem.If you took a photo of a ceroc couple, they would look to be in a slot. But if you watch over a period of time they do not stay in a slot. Ceroc is only a slotted dance during a class. Virtually everybody dances it as a circular dance in freestyle.

A slotted dance occupies the same slot for the duration of a dance. A circular dance occupies a circular area of floor during the dance.

When you do aerials (or even some drops), the diameter of this circle increases significantly. Look at the Blackpool comp, where 5 couples on a huge floor still had several near misses.

Where speed and dynamics are involved more clearance is required, and more care needed to ensure that those in the area are savvy enough to keep clear. The only time you can make any assumptions about those dancing near you is when you are doing a team routine. Even then you need to be careful - you can't even trust some people to remember their costume :devil:

If someone told me that I disrupted their aerial move because I did not do what they expected, then I would seriously consider introducing them to an aerial move of my own in the direction of the exit. And if they actually injured myself or my partner, I would call the police.

In any "projectile" ... move Love that description :nice: :nice:

TheTramp
7th-August-2003, 07:39 AM
The only time you can make any assumptions about those dancing near you is when you are doing a team routine. Even then you need to be careful - you can't even trust some people to remember their costume :devil: Poor Will.

One day Will, people will have forgotten this.....

Just don't expect it anytime soon :rofl:

Steve

Chris
7th-August-2003, 08:00 AM
Before the thread dies out . . .

NZ Beginner Assessment (http://www.docker.demon.co.uk/dance/beginnersassessment.html)
Intermediate Assessment (http://www.docker.demon.co.uk/dance/intermediateassessment.html)

Gadget's idea sounded cool I thought.

btw I know I may seem to put my ideas rather strongly at times - I'm usually more interested in the debate than being attached to a particular point of view usually though.
:cheers:

Chris
7th-August-2003, 08:03 AM
oh sugar - I've posted it to the wrong thread . . . oops

Pammy
7th-August-2003, 11:13 AM
Poor Will.

Just don't expect it anytime soon :rofl:

Steve

Awww don't. That's just plain 'orrible.

I still feel sorry for him for that one, it was painful to watch :tears: .

If I wasn't such a coward I'd have run on and handed him an alternative thingy.

Incidentally, if ever such a tragedy happens to me, please someone run on and do the decent thing.

Px

TheTramp
7th-August-2003, 12:20 PM
Awww don't. That's just plain 'orrible.

I still feel sorry for him for that one, it was painful to watch :tears: .

If I wasn't such a coward I'd have run on and handed him an alternative thingy.

Incidentally, if ever such a tragedy happens to me, please someone run on and do the decent thing.

Px What? Shoot you?? :na:

Steve

PS. Had a good time at Ealing last night... Shame you weren't there :tears:

Pammy
7th-August-2003, 12:26 PM
What? Shoot you?? :na:

PS. Had a good time at Ealing last night... Shame you weren't there :tears:

No, a belt, a ribbon, even a sock would do. Failing that though, a shot to the head would preferable than having to do the whole song...

Sorry about last night.

When are you next "about town"? :nice:

Px

Grant
7th-August-2003, 02:30 PM
No, a belt, a ribbon, even a sock would do.
Px
what, he was out there without so much as a sock :really:
brrrrrrrr :waycool: :waycool:

Grant

Sheepman
7th-August-2003, 02:48 PM

Now you've started this, I think you should enlighten the ignorant (moi) as to what it's all about, and what happened, and is it on video? :devil:

Greg

Chicklet
7th-August-2003, 02:53 PM
Now you've started this, I think you should enlighten the ignorant (moi) as to what it's all about, and what happened, and is it on video? :devil:

Greg

and remind those of us who are sure we DO know, but can't remember all the ins and outs :sorry so we can have a re-chuckle???

Pammy
7th-August-2003, 03:01 PM
but can't remember all the ins and outs :sorry so we can have a re-chuckle???

The "ins and outs" are that it never came "out" and remained "in" (somewhere?) for the whole song... :tears:

In all fairness to Will though, he still did better "without" than I could've done "with" the "said article".

Will
7th-August-2003, 03:20 PM
Right!

Of course now Mr Barkers football team has sold its entire squad off, he has nothing else to do except find ways of diverting every thread to that minor little fopar that occured at the Ceroc champs that went almost totally unnoticed.

Don't be surprised if David mysteriously loses a scarf over the next 9 months himself - namely the one with "Leeds Utd FC" written on it. I'm sure that after weekly results such as "Wolves 7 - 0 Leeds Utd" have become common place he may well conveniently misplace a scarf of his own!

Will
7th-August-2003, 03:22 PM
Getting back on topic, my answer to the question possed in this thread is "On top of my TV"

Grant
7th-August-2003, 03:26 PM
Will,
two diversions at once smacks of desperation :wink:

Grant

TheTramp
7th-August-2003, 06:07 PM
Sorry about last night.

When are you next "about town"? :nice:

Px No probs. I was just so much looking forward to it....

Ummm. Will be down London way the first weekend in September. I think that the plan is to go to St.Mary's on the Friday night, and then there's something happening in Maidstone as I recall on the Saturday night.

Debster will be able to give you fuller details if required.

Steve

TheTramp
7th-August-2003, 06:09 PM
Will,
two diversions at once smacks of desperation :wink:

Grant Doesn't it just!

Ok, for the un-enlightened. Will was in a team cabaret at the ceroc champs in May. Due to being in the intermediate heats as well, almost immediately before his team were due to perform, he managed to forget a small, but vital piece of clothing, needed for the team cabaret. I think that's enough said :rolleyes:

Steve

Graham
7th-August-2003, 06:12 PM
he managed to forget a small, but vital piece of clothing, needed for the team cabaret. The item in question was a scarf, in case anyone was struggling to understand Will's earlier post.

Pammy
8th-August-2003, 10:02 AM
The item in question was a scarf, in case anyone was struggling to understand Will's earlier post.

Yes, but to be fair, that boy did one hell of a job at improvising.

I think he missed his vocation, and could have been an extra on the Paul Daniels magic show with all those well-timed hand movements... (don't tell me Graham, you had a thing for Paul Daniels as well)...

No really, he did well not to faint up there; I think I'd have just fallen to my knees and cried; it was painful to watch let alone "do" (at least he wasn't wearing his snake-skin shirt though; thank god for small mercies... ... :wink: )

Px

Graham
8th-August-2003, 10:14 AM
Yes, but to be fair, that boy did one hell of a job at improvising. Absolutely. I must admit I was really impressed. Of course that was before I realised he was responsible for his own demise! And despite this disaster his team still managed to come third of five! This must surely be attributed to Will's magnificent air-scarf routine!

Pammy
8th-August-2003, 10:18 AM
before I realised he was responsible for his own demise!

How so?

Was it not just "caught" somewhere, or was it sitting on a shelf in a bedroom ... ...

TheTramp
8th-August-2003, 05:06 PM
No probs. I was just so much looking forward to it....

Ummm. Will be down London way the first weekend in September. I think that the plan is to go to St.Mary's on the Friday night, and then there's something happening in Maidstone as I recall on the Saturday night.

Debster will be able to give you fuller details if required.

Steve Ummm. I know it's bad form to quote yourself.

But I made a mistake. It's actually in Maidenhead. Not Maidstone. Please don't go to Maidstone, cos there's probably bugger all there, and definitely no dancing....

Steve

Pammy
8th-August-2003, 05:13 PM
Ummm. I know it's bad form to quote yourself.

But I made a mistake. It's actually in Maidenhead. Not Maidstone. Please don't go to Maidstone, cos there's probably bugger all there, and definitely no dancing....

Steve

I think we're all still at Beach Boogie then, but if I am back, I think (Bill, confirm this please) that the Twyford (which is near(ish) Maidenhead) party night is on.

Maybe we'll see you there :nice:

Px

TheTramp
10th-August-2003, 11:00 PM
Well. Not going to name names (I'll let Lou do that! :D )

At the Bristol comp, Lou had the luck (!) to be partnered with a man infamous for doing airsteps in all the most stupid places. (She pointed out to me how lucky she was immediately after she realised who she was dancing with)

Though, he managed to outshine himself this time, performing airsteps in the first heat of the lucky dip, despite (especially since he was even working as part of the team on the day) knowing that this would get him disqualified.

He then was performing airsteps with his partner on the dance floor during the freestyle section, even though it was very crowded.

I know that a lot has been said about (and presumably to?) said idiot before. But I guess that some people never learn.

Steve

Pammy
11th-August-2003, 09:36 AM
said idiot

Sounds like an understatement of the man. Why would he do something that would get him disqualified; and his partner???

Px

Lou
11th-August-2003, 09:48 AM
Because that's Johnno. :really:

(oops. I named names! :wink: )

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 10:04 AM
We wondered if it was something to do with the fact that he's not really a very good dancer, so knew he wasn't going to get anywhere, so at least wanted to go out with a bang.....

Or maybe it's, as Lou said, just cos he's Johnno....:confused: :rolleyes:

Steve

Pammy
11th-August-2003, 10:23 AM
so at least wanted to go out with a bang.....

Sounds like he needed to go out with a bang; perhaps one to the head :wink: It's a bit unfair on the partner if he blatently went out to get disqualified. Bet she was a little cheesed off.

Px

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 10:26 AM
Sounds like he needed to go out with a bang; perhaps one to the head :wink: It's a bit unfair on the partner if he blatently went out to get disqualified. Bet she was a little cheesed off.

Px Probably. Why don't you ask her....

Lou. Where are you Lou??

Steve

Lou
11th-August-2003, 10:35 AM
Nope - I wasn't that cheesed off, Pammy. :wink: Once I'd seen I'd drawn Johnno (who I know quite well, anyway, and actually is a pal of mine) I knew I didn't have a hope in hell of gettting through to the next round, as we don't dance very well together. Our styles are far too different (I hate drops & aerials. I'm not really built to do them. :wink: ). Anyway, I figured I'd just enjoy the one dance. As it happened, we got a fast track - so it was really up to him what moves he threw in & I just went along with the fun. I suspect I look bloody terrified on the video, mind.

It's just the nature of DWAS & the luck of the draw.

Lou
11th-August-2003, 10:37 AM
Sorry Steve - have just moved offices today - so am half in disarray! I'm trying to keep an eye on here, another on actual work, and another on getting sorted. (Add them up & you'll see why I'm a teensy bit stressed this morning!)

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Lou
Sorry Steve - have just moved offices today - so am half in disarray! I'm trying to keep an eye on here, another on actual work, and another on getting sorted. (Add them up & you'll see why I'm a teensy bit stressed this morning!) Ah. But what's your new office called then Lou?? :rolleyes:

Steve

Lou
11th-August-2003, 10:39 AM
Good point, Steve. They haven't announced the winners, yet.

Pammy
11th-August-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Lou
actually is a pal of mine

Ah, well that's different then. The worst thing would be if you drew a dwas who WASN'T a pal! :wink:

Lou
11th-August-2003, 11:04 AM
If that had happened with a real stranger, I would've been really miffed. You know exactly what you're getting with Johno.

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Lou
If that had happened with a real stranger, I would've been really miffed. You know exactly what you're getting with Johno. Which is why a lot of the people I know in Bristol won't dance with him! :devil:

Steve