PDA

View Full Version : Playing games

Lee Bartholomew
12th-April-2007, 11:05 AM
Everyone at some point has been dancing and thought "I wish I had sat this one out".

Has anyone else found themselves doing things to pass the time? One fav of mine is to dance but travel right around the edge of the dance floor to see if you can compleate a full circuit before the music finishes or your dance partner notices.

Baruch
12th-April-2007, 12:10 PM
Everyone at some point has been dancing and thought "I wish I had sat this one out".

Has anyone else found themselves doing things to pass the time?
Yes. One favourite of mine is to focus on my lead and try to dance smoothly.

Seriously, why play silly games? Doesn't that smack of disrespect for your partner?

Lee Bartholomew
12th-April-2007, 01:00 PM
Seriously, why play silly games? Doesn't that smack of disrespect for your partner?

Naa, can make a dance more fun for you and your partner.

Dreadful Scathe
12th-April-2007, 01:11 PM
how about the "simulated oral sex" game :)

Astro
12th-April-2007, 01:16 PM
Is that sending out an SOS?
What about a "steal the lead" signal for the ladies wishing to be rescued by a sympathetic friend.

straycat
12th-April-2007, 01:54 PM

Even if she didn't notice?

Lee Bartholomew
12th-April-2007, 02:07 PM
Even if she didn't notice?

Then nothing has been lost or gained

fletch
12th-April-2007, 02:08 PM
Has anyone else found themselves doing things to pass the time? One fav of mine is to dance but travel right around the edge of the dance floor to see if you can compleate a full circuit before the music finishes or your dance partner notices.

i do this with a guy called Phil, when we were at the Monster Jive Derby the it was early and the floor was not busy, we managed to get around all the way before the record finished, if you have been you will know how hard it is is proberbly bigger than the main room at Soughport :clap:

it would depend on the game :( picking someone out cos there different and giving them marks, yes would be disrespectful IMO :mad:

how about it :confused: is this an offer :confused:

straycat
12th-April-2007, 02:09 PM
Then nothing has been lost or gained

Interesting... :rolleyes:

Jamie
12th-April-2007, 05:27 PM
If I'm dancing with a partner who doesn't have that much experience and they're looking terrified... Then I rather like to make a prat out of myself by doing some really silly move, the T-Pot is usually a funny move, and if you sing a long too "I'm a little t-pot short n stout... tip me up n pour me out!"... They tend to think I'm a little crackers, but it's good for a laugh.

I also like the jump around the room game, me n Caz play this when a REALLY bouncy song comes on!

Lee Bartholomew
12th-April-2007, 07:37 PM
Another one to try is dancing just using your left or right hand the whole song, no swapping or double handed holds. Harder than you think.

Twirlie Bird
13th-April-2007, 03:39 AM
I danced with somebody once who didn't move their feet for the the entire song. :whistle:

The fact I didn't notice probably says loads about me and my dancing :rofl: :rofl:

Jamie
13th-April-2007, 03:42 AM
I danced with somebody once who didn't move their feet for the the entire song. :whistle:

The fact I didn't notice probably says loads about me and my dancing :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl:

It wasn't me messing around was it? :whistle:

Twirlie Bird
13th-April-2007, 03:44 AM
:rofl:

It wasn't me messing around was it? :whistle:

Oh Jamie - as if you would do that :whistle:

Nope - not you this time :wink:

Jamie
13th-April-2007, 03:47 AM
Oh Jamie - as if you would do that :whistle:

Nope - not you this time :wink:

We'll have to have a dance without moving my feet at Derby and we'll see if you notice then :na:

StokeBloke
13th-April-2007, 03:55 AM

Or their amazing ability to lead :whistle:

fletch
13th-April-2007, 09:19 AM

I dance with a guy in London that is a Fab dancer and lovely lead and he doesn't move his feet much (depending on the song) its he style. :hug:

I aslo dance with someone who dances with his eye's closed, don't we TB :respect:

Mac
13th-April-2007, 10:16 AM
I dance with a guy in London that is a Fab dancer and lovely lead and he doesn't move his feet much (depending on the song) its he style. :hug:

I aslo dance with someone who dances with his eye's closed, don't we TB :respect:

I sometimes dance with an open hand.Both the lead and follow connect either one hand or both at times and the idea is to keep the connection by maitaining tension through the arms Its actually a lesson in lead and follow(salsa):wink:

but actually makes quite a nice open style fun dance.you have to concentrate a bit but the connection you have with your partner is intense! Did it with Twirly Bird who followed beutifully!:respect:

Sparkles
13th-April-2007, 11:12 AM

I don't know if its the same two people, but I know two very good male leads that do both of these things respectively - but my impression is that it's just how they dance, nothing about playing a game to keep them occupied while they wished they weren't dancing...

LMC
13th-April-2007, 01:47 PM
The travelling round the floor game bothers me - if it was very busy then you would be going into other peoples' space, which is inconsiderate at best, dangerous at worst.

Plus, I can't help thinking that if your partner is that poor, it would be a) kinder and b) possibly to your long-term advantage (having more good dancers to dance with) to focus on leading as well as possible (wot Baruch said).

Wuzzle
13th-April-2007, 02:21 PM
Well i've pinkey lead, i've got the follower to close her eyes but these are all in good fun. :D Not cause i dont want to be on the floor.

There is will always be the song that i just cant get into or figure out when am suppose to be doing what. Still its only one song. Dont have enough moves for real fast songs. Don't have enough for the real slooooow ones. Can get fustrated if i get a row of songs that just aint for left handed people.

But you can always just arm jive your way through it. :whistle: (not that i'd do such a thing :blush: ) if indoubt yoyo :innocent:

MartinHarper
13th-April-2007, 03:07 PM
I can't help thinking that if your partner is that poor, it would be .... possibly to your long-term advantage (having more good dancers to dance with) to focus on leading as well as possible (wot Baruch said).

Nah, folks learn to follow quicker if their partners don't excessively compensate for their following flaws. Assuming they don't give up in disgust, of course.

Sparkles
13th-April-2007, 03:19 PM
Nah, folks learn to follow quicker if their partners don't excessively compensate for their following flaws. Assuming they don't give up in disgust, of course.

Where in the world did you get the idea that

"lead as well as possible" = "compensate for the follower's following flaws"?

:what: :what: :what:

Lee Bartholomew
13th-April-2007, 03:40 PM
Where in the world did you get the idea that

"lead as well as possible" = "compensate for the follower's following flaws"?

:what: :what: :what:

And more to the point, what you doing in Atlanta? Have I missed something? Is it a permanent move and whats the MJ like out there?

fletch
13th-April-2007, 03:50 PM
I don't know if its the same two people, but I know two very good male leads that do both of these things respectively - but my impression is that it's just how they dance, nothing about playing a game to keep them occupied while they wished they weren't dancing...

yes this is true :flower: I think it is just there style, its good though :respect:

The travelling round the floor game bothers me - if it was very busy then you would be going into other peoples' space, which is inconsiderate at best, dangerous at worst.

Plus, I can't help thinking that if your partner is that poor, it would be a) kinder and b) possibly to your long-term advantage (having more good dancers to dance with) to focus on leading as well as possible (wot Baruch said).

Please give me credit for something,:rolleyes: I do try and have some floor craft :what: and I have not yet bumped into anyone when travelling around the floor it wouldn't work if the room is full.:(

why do you think that travelling represents a poor dancer :confused:

isn't it cool and not the done thing in London :rolleyes: Yawn!

I see my long term advantage, as, dancing with all people no matter what there ability, Tango will be my last style that I have a stab at.

what do you see as your long term advantage:confused:

:hug:

LMC
13th-April-2007, 04:09 PM
Please give me credit for something,:rolleyes: I do try and have some floor craft :what: and I have not yet bumped into anyone when travelling around the floor it wouldn't work if the room is full.:(
Fletch, I don't know where you got the idea that I was having a go at you - I was actually having a go at woodface's original post.

why do you think that travelling represents a poor dancer :confused:
I don't. What I said was that travelling for the sake of it when the floor is busy is - as you have also said - not fair on others.

isn't it cool and not the done thing in London :rolleyes: Yawn!
I don't do cool. Ask anyone.

I see my long term advantage, as, dancing with all people no matter what there ability, Tango will be my last style that I have a stab at.

what do you see as your long term advantage:confused:
I also don't do tango. (I've done about 4 or 5 lessons. That's it.) I will also dance with anyone (except people who have caused me pain in the past)

Again, my comment was @ woodface - if he tries to help followers to become better through leading them as well as he can then he'll have more dancers to dance with that he will enjoy dancing with and hopefully not feel the need to play games because he doesn't like dancing with that person. I was being a bit sarcastic (I have the strangest feeling that MH was too).

My long-term advantage? Being old enough and ugly enough to know that I'll never be the "best" dancer. Being someone that people want to dance with will be good enough for me - I'm working on it.

Having said ALL that ... if there is space and if you're not pissing any other couples off, then *both* of you being silly can be fun :D (I can't wait for my game of dance floor Frogger with Mr Harper :devil: )

fletch
13th-April-2007, 04:22 PM
Fletch, I don't know where you got the idea that I was having a go at you - I was actually having a go at woodface's original post.

I don't do cool. Ask anyone.

Having said ALL that ... if there is space and if you're not pissing any other couples off, then *both* of you being silly can be fun :D (I can't wait for my game of dance floor Frogger with Mr Harper :devil: )

i'm proberbly been grumpy if i got it wrong i'm sorry :flower:

I don't need to ask anyone I know you, and you know me :hug: and you know I get om my soap box when it comes to 'im better than you' kinnda comments :mad: but i don't allways get it right :blush:

and you will have to get in the que for Mr Harper, we are missing him the Midland :love: its boring with out him :tears:

Lynn
13th-April-2007, 04:23 PM
Having said ALL that ... if there is space and if you're not pissing any other couples off, then *both* of you being silly can be fun :D :yeah: A run and slide can be great fun.

But that's playing and having fun with your partner as a mutual 'lets be a bit silly', as LMC said, which is totally different from doing something to while away the time of a boring dance which is what Woodface was talking about.

(Of course we all know now if ever dancing with Woodface and he does silly stuff its probably because he's bored dancing with you...)

Lee Bartholomew
13th-April-2007, 04:33 PM

Thatsright pick on me :na:

(Of course we all know now if ever dancing with Woodface and he does silly stuff its probably because he's bored dancing with you...)

That or I start playing games on my mobile:wink:. It could also be that Im enjoying the dance and having abit of fun with you. Now you will never know :yum:

Caro
13th-April-2007, 04:34 PM
(Of course we all know now if ever dancing with Woodface ...

*goes out of cupboard*

some people would actually still consider dancing with woodface? :really:

*mumbles back in cupboard*

LMC
13th-April-2007, 04:51 PM
Welllllll... you kinda have to. Once.

Or you're a hotshot :innocent:

Jamie
13th-April-2007, 04:52 PM
Thatsright pick on me :na:

That or I start playing games on my mobile:wink:. It could also be that Im enjoying the dance and having abit of fun with you. Now you will never know :yum:

Done this, while dancing with Caz I think, I had to text someone and so texted while 1 handed dancing with Caz! lol!

Lynn
13th-April-2007, 05:02 PM
That or I start playing games on my mobile:wink:. That would be interesting. Never actually walked off the dance floor on someone mid dance before...

It could also be that Im enjoying the dance and having abit of fun with you. Now you will never know :yum:I'm devastated.

Caro
13th-April-2007, 05:05 PM

*happy hotshot in cupboard waves to LMC being safely lifted in the air by WF on a busy dance floor *

fletch
13th-April-2007, 05:09 PM

well woodface :rolleyes: you can be a bit of a twit on the forum (so can I):na: but you are actually fun and I like you :flower:

*goes out of cupboard*

*mumbles back in cupboard*

:rofl: :rofl:

this has cheered me up I love the forum :clap:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

thats the right answer :na:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

fletch
13th-April-2007, 05:12 PM
That would be interesting. Never actually walked off the dance floor on someone mid dance before...

:eek:

have you not :confused: gosh! I have quite a few times :na: I dance with anyone but I don't stand for what doesn't feel right :mad: and I don't dance with drunks :mad: I walk off :yeah:

straycat
13th-April-2007, 05:13 PM

Oooooooooh no I don't.... :wink:

LMC
13th-April-2007, 05:27 PM
*happy hotshot in cupboard waves to LMC being safely lifted in the air by WF on a busy dance floor *
Him and *whose* army?

More than 3 consecutive spins though and I am *so* stealing the guy of the couple next to me rather than standing round waiting :devil:

Frankie_4711
13th-April-2007, 05:27 PM
Done this, while dancing with Caz I think, I had to text someone and so texted while 1 handed dancing with Caz! lol!

I've danced with Gentabout one-handed while he was speaking to someone on his mobile ... but we were right in front of the speaker so he had to give up and leave the floor after a while coz he couldn't hear them.

Lots of other fun games with him too ... but as Lynn said, we're playing, not bored! (well, I'm not ... !)

Lee Bartholomew
13th-April-2007, 07:25 PM
:rolleyes: Do people actually think I would start playing games on my mob?

Shesh, some people are far to rightous and really lack a sense of humor. :na:

Lynn
13th-April-2007, 07:43 PM
:eek:

have you not :confused: gosh! I have quite a few times :na: I dance with anyone but I don't stand for what doesn't feel right :mad: and I don't dance with drunks :mad: I walk off :yeah:Nope. I tend to avoid drunks - to be honest haven't met many at dance venues - and neatly avoid them before they even would get a chance to ask.

But agree - fear of injury would be one thing that would make me abandon a dance and to my knowledge I've only done that once and it was all other idiots on the dance floor that I wanted to get away from not my partner (who was fine) - salsa club with 'hey we've had a few drinks so now we can dance salsa' type crowd :rolleyes: and after several collisions in less than a minute I apologised to my partner and said I was leaving the floor.

Astro
14th-April-2007, 01:07 PM
And more to the point, what you doing in Atlanta? Have I missed something? Is it a permanent move and whats the MJ like out there?

See other thread - What's on this weekend 30/31 March 07 (anywhere!!) - for a report of an ECS dance Martin Harper attended in Atlanta at Georgia Tech.
(wish I could do a Harper Link)

Andy McGregor
14th-April-2007, 07:51 PM
how about the "simulated oral sex" game :)Simulated? Nobody said "simulated". Why don't people tell you these things? :confused:

.. how will I break the news to Jamie? :whistle: