PDA

View Full Version : The Finger

jiveaddicted
6th-April-2007, 11:16 PM
After speaking to a few people about how i could not get them for a dance at daventry because they were dancing with other people.

I was wondering how other people manage to catch the wanted partners eye/put across that they are wanted for the next dance with out being rude to there current partner or the wanted partner's partner :confused:

it was mentioned by Zebra Woman that she had noticed a case of some men montioning with a finger to imply that they would like a dance it was described to me as 1 finger raised in the air.

Has anybody expirenced this or have any other technique for instigating a dance before the wanted partner is grabbed by others??

M :nice:

Whitebeard
6th-April-2007, 11:35 PM
..... It was mentioned by Zebra Woman that she had noticed a case of some men montioning (?) with a finger to imply that they would like a dance it was described to me as 1 finger raised in the air.

If I raise a finger in the air it is more than likely to chalk up my appreciation of some improvisation or decoration my current lady had delighted me with. Should I, whilst dancing with one lady, be so calculating as to be thinking of my next dance - I think not !!

jiveaddicted
6th-April-2007, 11:39 PM
i understand your point but im saying it more as a you notice someone youve been after for a while just out of the corner of you eye she they happen to be looking your way just a very brief non interupting way.

M :nice:

straycat
6th-April-2007, 11:59 PM
One of the local Tango teachers used to put out leaflets at their Milongas which touched on various points of ettiquette.

One of the things described was the way in which you could catch the eye of someone waiting for a dance ... and if they acknowledged you properly, then you could then go over and ask them to dance, without fear of refusal, and knowing that they wouldn't accept anyone else while you were walking over to them.

Very nice and civilised way of doing things. Of course - we don't have that culture in MJ, so we can't make those assumptions, but one can dream...