PDA

View Full Version : Girls chat about competition outfits

Degodier
2nd-April-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm a newcomer to the heady world of competing. I was at my first competition the other weekend in Blackpool (Intermediates) wearing my number 1 Hammersmith outfit- small backless sparkly top, spray on white trousers- being completely unaware of what to expect. I was amazed at the variety and beauty of some of the outfits on show, some of which I know are worth hundreds of pounds. One girl told me her dress cost £600! :what:

I know you get extra points for presentation, but for me that kind of money is out of the question. It was noticeable that almost everyone who got through to the finals was wearing something fairly spectacular. Lesson learned. I started trawling ebay and I finally found something I like for relatively little. Tell me this. Do you think it will be ok if I have stuff hanging off the skirt and top which 'jingles'? Think the gold coins that edge some belly dancing outfits, which is what this is I think. The nice thing is that because the edging is heavy it spins out really nicely when turning. (In fact I've just had to buy a pair of 'kylie' type hotpants :wink: to wear underneath since you can see my knickers when spinning!)

Are there unwritten rules I should know about? Where do you all get your outfits? And do you think there is much truth in the rumour that the more flesh you have out the better your chances are? I hasten to add I wouldn't get my flesh out as it's no longer 20, but there were some girls who really did at Blackpool. One (respected) man I was near said 'she only got through because her t**ts are out'. Comments anyone?:nice:

LilyB
3rd-April-2007, 01:21 AM
... do you think there is much truth in the rumour that the more flesh you have out the better your chances are? ... ... there were some girls who really did at Blackpool. One (respected) man I was near said 'she only got through because her t**ts are out'. Comments anyone?:nice:

Not if I was judging - and there were 5 female judges & 3 male judges on the panel at Blackpool.

In response to your queries, I do not consider it a problem if a competitor wears a costume that 'jingles', provided it isn't so loud that it distracts other competitors and the judges. However, you might wish to consider also whether it would distract your partner or the 'bits' might get in the way of certain moves. If it is a belly-dance outfit, consider also the likelihood of the beads or coins being ripped off during energetic moves. No one, least of all the judges and organisers, will be impressed if your beads & coins fall onto the dance floor and cause a hazard to others.

As far as I am aware, there are no 'unwritten rules' about costumes for MJ competitions. You just need to be sensible in your choice of what to wear - here 'sensible' should be read in the context of dance competitions. Exposing a great deal of flesh is usually not a good idea. I have seen many female competitors who wear minimalist outfits but whose standard of dancing fall way short of the image they are trying to project. IMO That can do more harm than good. It certainly isn't going to win points with female judges. However, exposing a long leg-line (for those ladies with nice legs) by wearing a dress/skirt with a slit, or a short and sassy skirt teamed with high-heels, can enhance your overall appearance. Dancing, after all, draws attention to the legs & feet, hence a little more effort in those departments can be rewarding. Trousers can be just as attractive, if properly fitted and decorated.

As for where to get outfits - buy, beg or borrow. E-bay as you have discovered, is a good source. Dancewear shops and costume agencies. Dressmakers. Or make your own. Customise items from high street stores. Borrow from other competitors.

Sheepman
3rd-April-2007, 02:15 AM
However, you might wish to consider also whether it would distract your partner or the 'bits' might get in the way of certain moves. If it is a belly-dance outfit, consider also the likelihood of the beads or coins being ripped off during energetic moves.
And, as with any costume, however "safe" it might seem, you should have a dress rehearsal, to check that there aren't going to be problems with certain moves.

Greg

Little Monkey
3rd-April-2007, 09:43 AM
Ok, I'm no expert when it comes to competitions (only done a handful of DWAS and other 'fun' categories), but....:

First and foremost I would choose an outfit that is comfortable to dance in. I am not comfortable dancing in short skirts and high heels, so there's no way I would wear anything like that, just to impress the judges. If I'm not comfortable, my dancing is worse, so there's no point trying to dress to impress if it affects your dancing badly!

Secondly - make sure all the clothes will stay on! Like Lily said, ensure your outfit won't fall to pieces (coins and beads falling off etc), and won't distract your partner (or other dancers). Also make sure you don't have straps that keep falling down, skirt riding up etc, as it will really annoy you when dancing.

Finally - an outfit doesn't have to cost £600 to look good, and not all the competitors who reach the final/win spend a fortune on their costumes. I'm competing in a couple of weeks, and my outfit only costs about £40!:D

Good luck! :flower:

Degodier
3rd-April-2007, 06:59 PM
Thank you all for your really helpful advice. The blood drained from my face when I visualised the nightmare scenario of hundreds of beads popping off and other dancers slipping and falling. :eek: I think I shall have a radical rethink or do some customising with the superglue!!

It was reassuring to hear from the horse's mouth (No offence intended Lily!) that more flesh doesn't equal more points. I suspect sour grapes on the part of the aforementioned man must have prompted that comment. I can't remember where the girl concerned was placed, but she was actually a good dancer in any case I thought.

I will definitely have a trial run with my partner. What a good bit of advice! I sometimes wonder how the girls on 'Strictly' manage not to injure their partners with those long dangly arm decorations, although they look really effective.

Good luck to you too LM! :flower: