PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Ceroc

Ghost
2nd-April-2007, 05:56 PM
What are the basic components that make up the Ceroc moves?

Say still (hip wiggles optional)
Step back
Step forward
Step left
Step right
Walk back
Walk forward
Pivot 90 / 180/ 270 / 360 CW or ACW
Spin 90 / 180/ 270 / 360+ CW or ACW
Walk forward and turn 180 CW or ACW and step back

So a first move is

Step back
Walk forward and turn 180 ACW and step back
Step forward and pivot ACW 180
Spin CW 180
Step back

Any thoughts Gadget? :whistle:

Basically I'm thinking it's a lot easier to hone say 15 components than it is to hone 600+ moves :sick:

Likewise I'm wondering if an essential part of following is simply gaining enough experience / skill to be able to follow each component

LMC
2nd-April-2007, 06:06 PM
The issue for the follower is not following the footwork.

It's following the hand that's tricky.

Ghost
2nd-April-2007, 06:17 PM
The issue for the follower is not following the footwork.

It's following the hand that's tricky.

Right so you could practice leading / following each of the above from a LH, RH, crossed hand, 2 in 1 handhold etc.

LMC
2nd-April-2007, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately it's not thats simple:

Likewise I'm wondering if an essential part of following is simply gaining enough experience / skill to be able to follow each component
No. It's gaining enough experience, skill, physical fitness and what Franck calls "inner connection" to be able to follow each leader.

Gadget
3rd-April-2007, 08:42 AM
What are the basic components that make up the Ceroc moves? ~
Any thoughts Gadget? :whistle:

The "Stepping" bits are just used to maintain your distance from your partner without stretching your arms or getting too close. They also help keep time. If you can maintain distance, then that's forward, back, side, footwork... all taken care of.

The "Rotating" bits are just turning to face your partner or turning away from them. I like to think on them in 90º segments; if you can turn 90º, 180º, 270º and 360º then that's all taken care of too.

The next bit is waving your hands about like semaphore:
Only two heights your hand can/should be in at any point when you're changing between compression and tension - waist or shoulder. And above head height to turn makes three levels.
Your hands can only be in three positions relative to your body: on/close, natural/relaxed or extended.
And they should only be in one of four compass positions relative to the direction you're facing: infront, to the right or left.
And you only have two hands.

That's the basis of all moves. If you can master each of these positions, then all you need to do is work out how to move from one to the other :D (Oh, and what that does to the follower on the end of your arm ;))

{Actually thinking on a similar thing about the progression of skill in learning how to lead... still thinking, but will post later.}

Gadget
4th-April-2007, 08:35 AM
Component Elements:

Been thinking a bit further about this - besides maintaining distance and dancing on the beat, I think that there are only a six 'key' elements that you need to lead Ceroc*:

{* I'm a lead. I know about leading. I only know what I want a follower to do and how to achieve this; not the mechanics from the other side.}
1) leading a turn.
Stepping in and raising the hand so that it's beside the follower's bicep in the direction you want them to turn, then smoothly past the follower's cheek to a small halo above their forehead. Letting them rotate 270º before starting to gently spiral the halo lower, then stepping back as they come to face, timed to coincide with the follower's step back.

2) leading a free-spin from shoulder height.
Slow the follower's momentum to a cushioned stop while removing any opportunity for them to 'grip' (normally a flat hand). Accelerate a push in the opposite rotational direction the initial momentum came from, but with a downward emphasis and halt sharply to spin the follower.
Anticipate catching the released hand at the same height as contact was broken (should be about elbow/waist level), and try to place your hand for collection after the follower has spun 270º. Use the remaining 90º to match your hand to their rotational momentum and collect, decelerating. Once partner is facing gently lead a step back as you step back, trying to match the follower's foot fall with your own.

3) leading a free-spin from waist height.
Slow the follower's momentum to a cushioned stop while removing any opportunity for them to 'grip'. In a Ceroc spin (or catapult exit), the lead takes the follower's wrist; in a push (ball & socket) spin, the lead cups the follower's hand into a fist. Accelerated momentum is provided at a constant waist level with a sharp halt to spin the follower.
Catching as above.

4) leading the follower to step back/forward.
This is harder than it sounds: The lead is gentle from a constant connection; starting the follower's weight moving in the direction, then blocking when the foot is placed down again. The lead should not feel any heavier to the follower if the lead is mirroring the follower or if they are stationary. (If the lead is for more than one step, then the lead is not blocked, but the direction gently enforced at this point)
Moving with a follower when leading steps is about maintaining a constant connection without moving the lead's hand - simply moving your own body forward/back will take the follower with you.

5) leading the follower to pivot 180º clockwise.
The Yo-yo and Push-spin it's from a shoulder height hold; basket, wrap, arm-jive and swizzle are from a waist height hold. all use the same motions; travelling the hand from one side of the follower to the other, around them. The motion has to be around the follower's centre and the lead has to move to make these moves comfortable with them.
(For some reason, anti-clockwise pivot doesn’t seem to matter unless it's reversing from a clockwise pivot. :confused: )

6) Place and collecting follower's hand
Putting the follower's hand on a hip or shoulder at one side, then feeling it travel to catch again at the other. Shoulder-drop, Comb, Man-spin and shoulder-slide all use this. The main point about these moves is that the lead must either keep themselves in contact with the follower so that they know where and when to collect the hand again, or catch the hand in the same way as they would from a free-spin.

The only other 'key' element is simply rotating to face your partner once you have led them past you/ away from you.