PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc teaching audition news....

FoxyFunkster
2nd-April-2007, 12:10 AM
Firstly i would like to thank all those forumites who wished me well for my C.T.A audition today(Sunday April the 1st) and gave me great advice on smiling!!!!! :cheers: i`m pleased to report that i passed.. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I would like to say that despite some of the negative things i had heard about the audition process, the panel were excellent, extremely supportive and very positive towards all auditioners, they relaxed everyone and it was all conducted in a very friendly atmosphere. :respect: ........Anyway so now that i`ve taken my first step on the road to becoming a Ceroc Teacher i would like to get some idea of what forumites think are the essential ingredients that are needed in order to make a respected ceroc teacher............

Tiggerbabe
2nd-April-2007, 12:32 AM
Congratulations :hug: keep smiling and enjoy!

FoxyFunkster
2nd-April-2007, 12:35 AM
Congratulations :hug: keep smiling and enjoy!

i haven`t stopped........:nice:

Terpsichorea
2nd-April-2007, 07:59 AM
Nice one fella, glad to hear it went OK!

Lory
2nd-April-2007, 09:40 AM
i would like to get some idea of what forumites think are the essential ingredients that are needed in order to make a respected ceroc teacher............

Punctuality - in starting and finishing the lessons!

Moving people on frequently and allowing them to repeat the moves as many times as possible, adding new teaching points each time...

The worst thing is when teachers waffle on, giving a complete overload of info in one hit, then expect everyone to 'get it' with just one or two run throughs.

And in your case - pay particular attention to the accurate placement of the hands, during certain moves! :what: :whistle:

Cruella
2nd-April-2007, 09:45 AM
And in your case - pay particular attention to the accurate placement of the hands, during certain moves! :what: :whistle:

I'm sure in his Steve's eyes they were in an accurate place! :wink:

Rocky
2nd-April-2007, 10:04 AM
Well done mate!!!!!!:clap:

I didn't even know that you were going for it, but it's great news. Lory hit it right on the button, all those things are really important. It's daunting to begin with (of course I've never done it, but I know a lady who has...) but you'll soon develop your own style.

As every one has already said, if you smile and enjoy it your class will enjoy it too. The prep is a really important part of that process and as long as you know what you are doing you can relax into it.

You'll be fighting them off with a sh***y stick!!

Paul F
2nd-April-2007, 12:46 PM
Congrats on passing the audition :cheers:

Hmmmm. Tips on teaching.

I would agree with Rocky and say SMILE and enjoy it. Also, its an old cliche but you really should be yourself on stage.
Although its imperative that you get things right as much as possible, I always find that a teachers character comes through when things go wrong.
When it does, and it will, you have to be able to laugh at yourself. If you do that 9 out of 10 people will laugh with you. Just dont make a habit of going wrong :wink: :grin:

Finally, be prepared for criticism. No matter how good you are or how much you know there will always be someone ready to point out what you 'should' be doing. :rolleyes: Just smile politely and, if unreasonable, take it with a pinch of salt.

Best of luck on your course. I dont know if I can be of much help but I would be happy to answer any questions.

Gadget
2nd-April-2007, 01:23 PM
~i would like to get some idea of what forumites think are the essential ingredients that are needed in order to make a respected ceroc teacher............

It was a couple of years ago, but I don't think anything has changed...see my thread here:
Mark of a good teacher (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/5332-mark-good-teacher.html#post120265)

{taken from one of the links on my syg ;)}

FoxyFunkster
2nd-April-2007, 02:25 PM
Punctuality - in starting and finishing the lessons!

Moving people on frequently and allowing them to repeat the moves as many times as possible, adding new teaching points each time...

The worst thing is when teachers waffle on, giving a complete overload of info in one hit, then expect everyone to 'get it' with just one or two run throughs.

I think the correct term is...men push down towards the womens waist level and please don`t go below that unless there are exceptional circumstances!! this was exceptional!!:waycool:

Tiggerbabe
2nd-April-2007, 02:53 PM
this was exceptional!!:waycool:
Before, or after? :innocent: :)

FoxyFunkster
2nd-April-2007, 02:58 PM
Before, or after? :innocent: :)

After! i did see the Blonde Bombshell last night at Berko and she was still smiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twirlie Bird
3rd-April-2007, 02:15 AM
:clap: :clap: CONGRATULATIONS :clap: :clap:

I think it's really important to just be yourself when teaching. Don't try too hard. Everyone makes a few mistakes, forgets what move they were about to go into, add returns when they shouldn't be there, etc in class. :rolleyes: To see a teacher doing this occasionally is a good thing. Makes the rest of us feel better when we go wrong. :whistle: :rofl:

Be approachable and friendly. Although I am guessing you already are to have got through the audition. Thinking about it I have never met a teacher yet who isn't friendly and approachable and that's really important. :grin:

I think something very important to remember is you will never please everyone. Some people will never particularly gel to your teaching style. Some people like to moan and the teacher is an easy target. Just be friendly, listen to feedback and do with it whatever you feel is best.

:respect: Good Luck With It All :respect:

Andy McGregor
3rd-April-2007, 08:54 AM
Everyone makes a few mistakes, forgets what move they were about to go into, add returns when they shouldn't be there, etc in class. :rolleyes: To see a teacher doing this occasionally is a good thing. Makes the rest of us feel better when we go wrong. :whistle: When you get really good you may have to start going wrong on purpose just because "it makes the rest of us feel better" :wink:

Cruella
3rd-April-2007, 09:21 AM
Thinking about it I have never met a teacher yet who isn't friendly and approachable and that's really important. :grin:

That's because the non friendly and non approachable ones are very good at avoiding the punters! :whistle: