PDA

View Full Version : Dancing whilst in pain

Twirly
29th-March-2007, 12:19 PM
Having hobbled my way through the class at Greenwich on Tuesday, and more often than not being in some sort of pain whilst dancing, I wondered how common it is. How many of you dance whilst in pain?

This could be due to a current injury, an old injury flaring up occasionally, or wear and tear on the body (such as arthritis, in my case in my foot).

How does this affect your dancing? I struggle a bit, and know that my night isn’t going to be as good as it could have been.

Do you worry about dancing whilst in pain? Does it make it worse? Do you think you’ll do yourself more damage in the long run, but you so need to dance that it makes it worthwhile?

Thought a poll might be interesting – DJ, do try to resist clicking on every option!

David Bailey
29th-March-2007, 12:23 PM
Having hobbled my way through the class at Greenwich on Tuesday, and more often than not being in some sort of pain whilst dancing, I wondered how common it is. How many of you dance whilst in pain?
I definitely don't - which is why I haven't been dancing much recently.

Pain is a signal, don't ignore it - especially if it's likely to be aggravated (backs and evil drops etc).

Having said that, dancing is generally good for you, as it's both reasonable exercise and it produces the feelgood feeling.

If in doubt, see someone who knows what they're doing (e.g. a sports physio - not your GP)

Thought a poll might be interesting – DJ, do try to resist clicking on every option!
Oh believe me I won't - this is something that very much strikes close to home :sad:

What options did you want for the poll then?

Trouble
29th-March-2007, 12:23 PM
i get pain in my feet. Normally just a dull ache but ocassionally the arches my toes hurt from so much dancing. It can hurt but i do just dance through it then suffer at night when im in bed and they are pounding. :what:

Twirly
29th-March-2007, 12:24 PM
Er, sorry, managed to mess up adding the poll. :blush: Have PMed it some moderators - can someone oblige please? :flower:

Rhythm King
29th-March-2007, 12:26 PM
If I have a specific injury, then I'll rest it, rather than cause any further damage, or lengthen the recovery time.

Given that, I have long term knee, hip, back and neck problems and live on anti-inflammatories and industrial strength pain-killers anyway. So to answer your question - yes I continue dancing whilst in pain, but not if it's something new/temporary that will get better with rest.

David Bailey
29th-March-2007, 12:27 PM
Er, sorry, managed to mess up adding the poll. :blush: Have PMed it some moderators - can someone oblige please? :flower:
Sorted :wink:

Twirly
29th-March-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks

the whale
29th-March-2007, 12:33 PM
My old coach (sporting , from a long, long time ago!!!) used to say: -

"pain is merely a sensation"

&

"pain just proves you're still alive"

I'd almost forgotten how much I hated him :angry: it's a shame he's my father :na:

D

Lynn
29th-March-2007, 12:41 PM
If I have a specific injury, then I'll rest it, rather than cause any further damage, or lengthen the recovery time. :yeah:

And once I do start dancing again, (esp if its an injury from dancing), it affects my dancing as I'm wary of anything that might make it worse, I tend to stick to dancing with people I know and trust, and depending on the injury I can dance differently. I never dance as well, even if not in pain, as I'm aware of it and that affects my ability to totally immerse myself in the dance. If I'm in pain then I'm aware I might injure something else by 'favouring' the injured part - so need to be even more careful.

I dance a lot less too and I'll stop if the injury starts to hurt.

What I won't do is take lots of painkillers and dance through it as that can cause further injury. I'll would take some anti inflamatories.

I wouldn't count 'sore feet' as an injury - but I've had to stop dancing at weekenders because my feet hurt too much. But that's usually my own fault for not pacing myself or changing my dance shoes enough.

I had a back injury about a month ago. Its fine now, but I'm still not going to do a dips and drops workshop next weekend - just in case its not quite fully healed.

I have a knee that plays up from time to time (don't we all?! - hasn't for ages until today - I'm hobbling round the office) and I carry a support bandage in my dance bag in case I need it - but that's not an injury.

Jhutch
29th-March-2007, 12:44 PM
Without wanting to be awkward, i find that it depends on what the injury is:blush: When my elbow was hurting i carried on for a while but had to stop when it really started hurting a couple of dances into freestyle one night. I still don't do any moves that i know aggravated it when it hurt even though it is now fine.

After coming back from snowboarding i had hurt my ankle in several ways (bump and muscle i think) and it was swollen. I could have not gone to ceroc then but, having gone only twice in the previous six weeks, largely due to my elbow, i felt that i had to. It hurt during the next week or two and definitely impeded my dancing when i trod on that foot (tried spinning on it during one routine just to stop myself from letting it put me off doing stuff:really:) but it seemed to get better by itself.

Twirly
29th-March-2007, 01:05 PM

Pain is a signal, don't ignore it - especially if it's likely to be aggravated (backs and evil drops etc).

Having said that, dancing is generally good for you, as it's both reasonable exercise and it produces the feelgood feeling.

If in doubt, see someone who knows what they're doing (e.g. a sports physio - not your GP)

Oh believe me I won't - this is something that very much strikes close to home :sad:

My problem is that my right foot hurts continuously - not an injury as such, but a combination of things including arthritis, so if I waited till it stopped hurting, I'd have to give up dancing (and walking probably) :tears: However, I have realised that dancing itself doesn't aggravate it (I thought I was going to have to give up last summer, but couldn't go dancing for a few weeks, and actually it hurt more which I thought was odd).

Having said all that, I am going to see the GP tomorrow if I can get an appointment :rolleyes: as there are other problems developing. And I'm hoping I'll get referred for physio. (We have one at work, but I need a referral.)

If I have a specific injury, then I'll rest it, rather than cause any further damage, or lengthen the recovery time.

Given that, I have long term knee, hip, back and neck problems and live on anti-inflammatories and industrial strength pain-killers anyway. So to answer your question - yes I continue dancing whilst in pain, but not if it's something new/temporary that will get better with rest.

Actually it was talking to you RK, at Hammersmith the other week, which made me think about posting a thread to find out how many other people suffer as well, combined with my pain this week.

I get annoyed with my dancing when I'm in pain. I'm more cautious and probably harder to lead - I noticed on Tuesday that I missed several things whilst dancing for example. Fortunately that was with very good leads, and they were able to compensate, but I hate that.

And of course the fact that it's my right foot that's hurting (ball of the foot) means that spinning is tough too. I'm feeling particularly frustrated as I want to do more dancing to improve, but it hurts! And I've got a workshop on Sunday - probably shouldn't go, but really want to :(

David Bailey
29th-March-2007, 01:15 PM
Having said all that, I am going to see the GP tomorrow if I can get an appointment :rolleyes: as there are other problems developing. And I'm hoping I'll get referred for physio. (We have one at work, but I need a referral.)
Yes - realistically, GPs are only useful to generate referrals in this area, in my experience.

Actually it was talking to you RK, at Hammersmith the other week, which made me think about posting a thread to find out how many other people suffer as well, combined with my pain this week.
I've the utmost admiration and respect for people like RK and LM, who have long-term health issues, but who still manage to live their lives as fully as possible.

I probably don't say this enough, but I think you guys are heroes :clap: :worthy: :hug:

Trouble
29th-March-2007, 01:16 PM
Yes - realistically, GPs are only useful to generate referrals in this area, in my experience.

I've the utmost admiration and respect for people like RK and LM, who have long-term health issues, but who still manage to live their lives as fully as possible.

I probably don't say this enough, but I think you guys are heroes :clap: :worthy: :hug:

and RK and LM you can pay DJ later. :D

LMC
29th-March-2007, 01:36 PM
If I have a specific injury, then I'll rest it, rather than cause any further damage, or lengthen the recovery time. ... I continue dancing whilst in pain, but not if it's something new/temporary that will get better with rest.
:yeah:

Although I'm lucky not to suffer as badly as RK and LM, I do have three old injuries (R/knee, L/hip and L/shoulder) and just dance through/take painkillers when they start niggling. I can't say that the injuries don't affect my dancing, but they don't really make my dancing any different - because they are always "there". Having said that, if they flare up (like naughty knee collapsing at Storm :mad: ), then I'll treat as a 'new' injury and rest up or, if not too bad, adapt dancing accordingly (stick with leads I know/trust and ask them to avoid some moves).

I'm also considering a revisit to physio- or osteo- to see whether there's anything else I can do to support the damaged joints/tendons concerned (by improving the muscle round them).

Donna
29th-March-2007, 01:42 PM
I had a fall on the stairs Sunday and hurt both my neck and lower part of my back. I haven't been able to dance all week! :tears: I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms now so getting back on that dance floor Saturday whether it's better or not! :yeah: I'm sure I'll cope, because I'll be dosed up to the eyeballs with paracetamol!:grin:

straycat
29th-March-2007, 01:50 PM

I've been told by quite a few people not to do anything if it hurts, but quite simply, if I didn't do anything that hurt, I wouldn't be able to do a thing. Including sleep. And including Pilates, which has done more to help with my back problems than anything else I've tried so far.

A few years ago, when my back was ... much worse than it is now, I did find out one of the more unexpected downsides of dancing through some kinds of pain was that if you allow the pain to show on your face (I was prone to these momentary flashes of sheer agony from one hip), girls get put off dancing with you for some reason - no matter how you try to explain it's nothing they've done, and is just 'one of those things.'

Having said all that, as others have said, pain is your friend in that it can give you 'cease and desist' messages that can save you from damaging yourself further. You just have to learn to distinguish identify when that's the cause of the pain - and when it isn't.

LMC
29th-March-2007, 02:08 PM
Having said all that, as others have said, pain is your friend in that it can give you 'cease and desist' messages that can save you from damaging yourself further. You just have to learn to distinguish identify when that's the cause of the pain - and when it isn't.
:yeah:

With a long-standing injury, it's easier to tell whether it's a "cease and desist" message or just a "whinge". But recent/temporary things, it's not so easy to tell. I avoid taking painkillers for as long as possible because they fuzz the message - and when I have taken them, I take it easier than when I was dancing through the pain - better safe than sorry.

Go to a GP before dancing Donna - you don't want a hopefully temporary strain to turn into a long-term injury.

Freya
29th-March-2007, 02:09 PM
My problem is that my right foot hurts continuously - not an injury as such, but a combination of things including arthritis, so if I waited till it stopped hurting, I'd have to give up dancing (and walking probably) :tears: However, I have realised that dancing itself doesn't aggravate it (I thought I was going to have to give up last summer, but couldn't go dancing for a few weeks, and actually it hurt more which I thought was odd).

Hi Twirly,

Having only read what you wrote and not knowing what exactly the problem is I might have a little explanation as to why it hurt more!

What kind of Arthritis is it?

Most arthritis while painful can actually be made worse by inactivity! This is because the things irritating the joint settel and keep causing an inflamitory response and pain. By being active then removal of the waste products occurs more regularly and also maintains production of synovial fluid (lubrication of the joints)

The other thing with osteosrthritis is that bone remoddeling occurs in the form of osteophytes and while these are painful in themselves if the joint is mobile then it can slow formation. After a long period of inactivity and rest then when you strat activity again it will be painful as the osteophytes have to be worn away again.

In Rheumatoid atrthritis then it keeps blood flow maintained and keeps flushing away the waste products and the irritants!

However it is important to not over do it! If in a flare up of RA then you will probably find that you'll need to cut back just until it settles back down again!

Hope this helps! You may not need to know this or wated to hear it but I wrote it anyway!

It is important to include your Dr in your treatment as they are the link between all the disciplines. They also may refer you to a rheumatologist! If you can manage the problem as early as possible you will stay fitter and healthier for longer. Also your Dr can be very good at giving you lovely Painkillers! :grin:

Lee Bartholomew
29th-March-2007, 02:29 PM
I quite often dance in pain.

My local DJ's play so much s**te that my ears hurt on a regular basis.

Mezzosoprano
29th-March-2007, 02:29 PM
I suppose it's not really an injury but.... I have asthma which was never a problem until this past winter... I got pneumonia.... I kept dancing as long as I could but in the end had to take a couple of weeks out..... I find it hard to dance when I can't breathe.
Since i had my small people (surgically removed - sounds so much better than "c-section" I think!) I've had a bad back and hip and I find that - thanks to the physio's at Raigmore - accupunture really helped with pain management and the core stability exercises have helped my dancing!

Donna
29th-March-2007, 02:34 PM

er ouch. :)

Twirly
29th-March-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks for that Freya. It’s osteoarthritis, diagnosed a couple of years ago by x-ray. Your explanation makes a lot of sense – although the joint (just below the big toe) would have got some exercise due to walking, which I was still doing.

Not sure why it’s flaring up just now though.

Do you have any opinions on the taking of EFA’s and glucosamine to help joints?

David Bailey
29th-March-2007, 03:22 PM
Do you have any opinions on the taking of EFA’s and glucosamine to help joints?
I've been told, by someone who knows stuff, that cod liver oil tablets are the way to go for joint pain...

Paulthetrainer
29th-March-2007, 03:51 PM
Its all about assessing the risk/benefit ratio. Obviously there is always a risk (however small) to exercising, but then there's always a benefit too.

The hard part is trying to work out what that risk/benefit ratio is. Some people are more 'body aware' than others and will pick up on an injury before it gets a chance to worsen and just stop.

Some people are so 'all or nothing', that they can't just hold themselves back and won't exercise (inc. dancing) at moderate intensities or for shorter durations. Probably because they're having a great time, but then maybe they'll regret it afterwards! This is a shame because to a large extent with injuries, exercising no further than the level of discomfort of the injured area will improve its healing process.

One of the problems with dancing when injured, for followers anyway, is the lack of control that they have as to what they do in the dance. Better to try and stick to people you know well.

Paul

Freya
29th-March-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks for that Freya. It’s osteoarthritis, diagnosed a couple of years ago by x-ray. Your explanation makes a lot of sense – although the joint (just below the big toe) would have got some exercise due to walking, which I was still doing.

Not sure why it’s flaring up just now though.

Twirly I'll respond in more detail to your PM shortly!

Osteoarthritis is a cyclical disease. it's possibly flaring up at the moment because the cartilage is hardening and flaking off, irritating the synovial membrane. or it could be the formation of new osteophytes! It'll settle down again and then it'll start all over again!

It would have got exercise while walking but the movement put on it would be different! When walking the push off angle is slightly diffferent. Also Your body was acustomed to doing a higher level of exercise, it adjusted when you stopped dancing! It's a tricky balancing act!

Do you have any opinions on the taking of EFA’s and glucosamine to help joints?I Don't know much I'm afraid!

The taking of Glucosamine is supposed to help with the metabolic aspect of the disease and the maintance of the cartilage, As for EFA's not a clue! On this side of things it would be best to consult a doctor.

Yliander
29th-March-2007, 04:36 PM

With regards to feet - I have a broken bone in my left foot and it only occasionally stops me dancing – for a long while it was thought to be an soft tissue alignment thing – regular physio/OT treatment alleviate the pain – after about 18 months some other symptoms developed and x-rays were taken and the true cause was found.

Generally I dance through the pain – however this is not always possible – as the pain will often centre at the base of my big toe and when it does that in a large stabbing screaming sort of way – I can’t focus on pretty much anything else.

In part of I have learnt to compensate for it – early on it was very bad and I learnt how to spin to my left on my right foot to reduce the amount of pressure on it.

Ibuprofen gel can be a god send as can massage/ physio for all the connected bits of your body – ankle, calfs, thighs, hips and even your back – all of these suffer from the compensating they do when your foot/feet are injured.

I have also found that changing my shoes down a heel level before my foot gets really cranky is a better plan than waiting for it to get really cranky as it is always easier to manage pain at a lower than when it has sky rocketed to mind distorting proportions.

As to other injuries – I have issues with my shoulders, neck, right hand, right knee, hips and ankles. The main one I worry about is my shoulders – my rotator cuffs are shockingly temperamental - and combined with my left foot are the main reason I will be choosey about who I dance with as one dance with a really bad yanker/overly bouncy/rough lead can put me out of action not just for a night but up to a month and sorry to be blunt but my quality of life is worth more than a dance with someone I don’t like/want to dance with.

I do find that when in active pain – I find that I don’t dance – I will usually try but the pain distracts me and puts me off so much that you’d be much better off dancing with chair – so I quickly stop – it can very disheartening – in June last year was very distressing to me at Southport thankfully since then it has been mostly been good *knock on wood* :wink:

not sure if any of that makes any sense is any help Twirly but it’s my 2 cents worth

PS there is hope for my left foot – when I go home I’m going to have part of the broken bone removed and the remaining bit smoothed and then all will be good!

Lorna
29th-March-2007, 09:31 PM

Brilliant!! You even managed to make my husband laugh too.

Lotsa love lorna x-x

LMC
29th-March-2007, 09:41 PM
I've been told, by someone who knows stuff, that cod liver oil tablets are the way to go for joint pain...
Yeah, the man in the pub told me that too.

Seriously, I've been taking cod liver oil tablets for years on and off (all injuries over 10 years old) - and I notice the difference (ache/stiffness in the joints) if I *don't* take them for a while ... so I s'pose they must help. Some people swear by chonditrin (?sp ***) and glucosamine and I'm giving them a go, but not sure that they have made any difference [shrug]

David Bailey
30th-March-2007, 08:44 AM
Yeah, the man in the pub told me that too.
Probably the same man - I reckon he's got a franchise :grin:

Freya
30th-March-2007, 11:39 AM
I think with the supplements you have to try them out and find what works for you.

Some people swear by them, some people feel that they don't work!

Freya
30th-March-2007, 12:02 PM
Back onto the topic which is actually do you dance in pain.

I have danced in pain, I've danced when I probably shouldn't be.

Depending on the injury and the type of pain that your in and how obsessed and addicted to dancing you are.

Exercise in moderation when you are in chronic pain is always recomended. however if the exercise that you participate in causes you to be in more pain then it's probably a good idea to rethink your participation.

With regard to LM and RK if they're in too much pain then they won't dance so much. They also don't do things like dips and drops.

However if you have a new injury like a sprain then it's possibly a good idea to stay off it for a while!

Little Monkey
30th-March-2007, 12:02 PM

I ignore it (my back) as long as I can, then hit the industrial strength painkillers! :D

But I wouldn't dance if I had something like a sprained ankle or something else that would get better with rest an a little TLC.

My problem is that my right foot hurts continuously - not an injury as such, but a combination of things including arthritis, so if I waited till it stopped hurting, I'd have to give up dancing (and walking probably) :tears:

I get annoyed with my dancing when I'm in pain. I'm more cautious and probably harder to lead

Like RK and Twirly, my injury is permanent, and ain't going to get better with rest. In fact, I should stay as active as possible, even if it sometimes hurt. If I stopped being active due to pain, I wouldn't be doing very much at all by now, and my back would probably be a lot worse.

Like Twirly I do find that my dancing gets affected by my back pain. If I take very strong painkillers, they make me wobbly and dizzy, so my dancing is utterly cr@p. And sometimes the nerves into my legs and feet get really jammed, and then it's really hard to move my legs properly - in addition to the pain I'll have reduced mobility and feeling in my legs/feet at times. Sometimes (rarely, though) I completely lose the feeling in a foot or in several toes, which makes dancing, um, interesting....:whistle: That's when I normally rethreat to my chalet, if I'm at a weekender, and sit and feel sorry for myself/angry, cry or throw a little tantrum.:rolleyes: :rofl:

Although I feel frustrated and bad about my own dancing at times like that, other people have often told me they don't notice that my dancing is any worse! Although I do know there's times when I will be hard to lead, or I miss moves or just move slowly and awkwardly, and people have given me looks saying 'but you could dance when I danced with you yesterday!!'

:blush: :blush: :blush:

You make me blush! I'm absolutely no hero, I moan, cry and have tantrums because of my back, just ask Greg!:rolleyes:

Besides, it puts a whole new edge on hillwalking - I never know if I'll actually make it up and down the hill! Last time I went hillwalking, I made a deal with my mate. If my back collapsed and I couldn't walk, he'd save my dog, and leave me to curl up and die on the mountain. :what: :rofl:

and RK and LM you can pay DJ later. :D

This ain't gonna be cheap.....:eek:

Little Monkey
30th-March-2007, 12:11 PM
With regard to LM and RK if they're in too much pain then they won't dance so much. They also don't do things like dips and drops.

:whistle:

Er...... Sometimes I do...... But not always voluntarily! I know everyone keeps going on about 'just say no', and 'you can always stop the leader when he's attempting a dip or drop', but it's not that easy. Sometimes you're put into a dip or drop quite fast, and the safest thing is often just to relax and go with it, rather than try and tense up and stop in an awkward position, which would hurt much more than the actual drop!

But Freya's right. If I'm in too much pain, I won't dance much. Sometimes because the pain gets too much, and gets aggrevated by the dancing, or because I can't move my legs properly, and just end up really frustrated. But if I'm just in moderate pain, I'll keep dancing, but be very careful with who I actually dance with. I've upset lots of people by turning them down (always with an explanation), esp. if they then see me dancing later on with someone else. I bet lots of peole think I'm a complete hot-shot, but I DON'T CARE!:D :waycool:

Beowulf
30th-March-2007, 12:12 PM
I've not been dancing for weeks because of leg pain. It's not so much my shin splints now.. they seem to have got slightly better (as long as I remember and don't attempt to run etc)

but right now my knees are killing me. I think I must have been walking funny with the shin splints (By funny I mean limping funny.. not John Cleese funny)

They've gone all "clicky" (I kneel down .. they click. I stand up.. they click)and the throb most of the time even when sitting down. Walking up stairs is a pain (literally) too.. and guess who stays on the top floor of his block of flats?!

I certainly don't and wouldn't dance while in pain. Recovery is taking long enough as it is without prolonging it by dancing and perhaps aggravating the injury.

David Bailey
30th-March-2007, 12:42 PM
: That's when I normally rethreat to my chalet, if I'm at a weekender, and sit and feel sorry for myself/angry, cry or throw a little tantrum.:rolleyes: :rofl:
Or provide coffee, cake and a library service :grin:

Although I feel frustrated and bad about my own dancing at times like that, other people have often told me they don't notice that my dancing is any worse! Although I do know there's times when I will be hard to lead, or I miss moves or just move slowly and awkwardly, and people have given me looks saying 'but you could dance when I danced with you yesterday!!'
Difficult to believe - you're one of the best dancers I know of, I definitely remember every dance I've had with you.

Come on, move to London, you know you want to :wink:

You make me blush! I'm absolutely no hero, I moan, cry and have tantrums because of my back, just ask Greg!:rolleyes:
Frankly, you're talking rubbish - compared to most, especially most men, you've got oodles of positivity.

I think that only someone who's encountered constant health issues can realise what it's like to try and work with - it's one of those experiences, like parenthood (in a different way! :) ), which has to be experienced to be understood.

Astro
30th-March-2007, 04:55 PM
As to other injuries – I have issues with my shoulders, neck, right hand, right knee, hips and ankles. The main one I worry about is my shoulders – my rotator cuffs are shockingly temperamental - and combined with my left foot are the main reason I will be choosey about who I dance with as one dance with a really bad yanker/overly bouncy/rough lead can put me out of action not just for a night but up to a month and sorry to be blunt but my quality of life is worth more than a dance with someone I don’t like/want to dance with.

Wow, and you've had flu as I remember from other threads.

I am gently easing myself back into dancing after a 5 week absence and I agree that a bad yanker/overly bouncy/rough lead can set the pain off again. Been thinking and your post made me put 2 and 2 together.

So what now, do we avoid strangers? Some of my best dances have been with strangers. Would you walk off and leave him as soon as you felt in danger?

Yliander
30th-March-2007, 06:09 PM
Wow, and you've had flu as I remember from other threads. seem to be over that finally *knock on wood* has only taken 8 weeks and finally a course of double dose of antibotics.

I am gently easing myself back into dancing after a 5 week absence and I agree that a bad yanker/overly bouncy/rough lead can set the pain off again. Been thinking and your post made me put 2 and 2 together.

So what now, do we avoid strangers? Some of my best dances have been with strangers. Would you walk off and leave him as soon as you felt in danger? how to avoid strangers is a hard one. one of my ways to protect myself is that if a stanger asks for a dance and it's a very fast/bouncy song I will say sorry not this song.

When I am at a new dance venue I tend to do a lot of scanning of the dancers to see if there is anyone who I think I should avoid.

I have never walked of the floor on someone - but if I find myself dancing with someone rough/yanky I will relax my body as much as possible and take smaller steps so that I am closer which means they have less leverage to yank me about.

when very fragile feeling I will only dance with people I know or have observed.

using these methods I have managed to avoid those types of dancers that are the biggest risk to me - the worst I have encountered laterly was a guy with the grip of death at hammersmith a few weeks back - took about 5 minutes for all the feeling to come back.

Little Monkey
30th-March-2007, 07:01 PM
Or provide coffee, cake and a library service :grin:

Yeah, but if nobody wants to come and take advantage of the services I provide (:whistle: ), I'll have a tantrum! So there.

Difficult to believe - you're one of the best dancers I know of, I definitely remember every dance I've had with you.

Come on, move to London, you know you want to :wink:

:o Oh, you've made me blush again now. Will you stop doing that!

Hmmm, moving to London might be good for my ego....:wink:

Frankly, you're talking rubbish - compared to most, especially most men, you've got oodles of positivity.

I think that only someone who's encountered constant health issues can realise what it's like to try and work with - it's one of those experiences, like parenthood (in a different way! :) ), which has to be experienced to be understood.

Frankly, at times I completely run out of positivity. Storm (Sunday night) was an excellent example of that, when I had a complete tantrum in the chalet, and ripped apart the programme and smashed my storm mug, 'cus I was so frustrated and p!ssed off with not being able to dance. I only had one, very bad, dance all day.. Not a proud moment, but I felt slightly better after smashing something.:blush:

But by all means, if you want to canonize me (do you have that power?), go right ahead. Hmmmm, St.Cathrine. Cool!:cool:

David Bailey
30th-March-2007, 07:16 PM
Frankly, at times I completely run out of positivity. Storm (Sunday night) was an excellent example of that, when I had a complete tantrum in the chalet, and ripped apart the programme and smashed my storm mug, 'cus I was so frustrated and p!ssed off with not being able to dance. I only had one, very bad, dance all day.. Not a proud moment, but I felt slightly better after smashing something.:blush:
If it's any consolation, I know plenty of people who had a miserable time at Storm whilst in much better health... :wink:

But by all means, if you want to canonize me (do you have that power?), go right ahead. Hmmmm, St.Cathrine. Cool!:cool:
Do I? Wow, that'd be cool... But no, checking through my Power Toolbox, it seems that one somehow got missed out. Can't imagine why :D

Astro
30th-March-2007, 07:18 PM
seem to be over that finally *knock on wood* has only taken 8 weeks and finally a course of double dose of antibotics.:nice:

how to avoid strangers is a hard one. one of my ways to protect myself is that if a stanger asks for a dance and it's a very fast/bouncy song I will say sorry not this song. good tip, the bounce gets my legs.

When I am at a new dance venue I tend to do a lot of scanning of the dancers to see if there is anyone who I think I should avoid. I do that, but more difficult in a big venue like Hammersmith as you found to your cost.

I have never walked of the floor on someone - but if I find myself dancing with someone rough/yanky I will relax my body as much as possible and take smaller steps so that I am closer which means they have less leverage to yank me about. thanks for the tip on the smaller steps. :flower:

when very fragile feeling I will only dance with people I know or have observed.

using these methods I have managed to avoid those types of dancers that are the biggest risk to me - the worst I have encountered laterly was a guy with the grip of death at hammersmith a few weeks back - took about 5 minutes for all the feeling to come back.
There are some dancers who actually have a healing effect don't you think? If only they all had brilliant technique.

Choc Chip
31st-March-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi all

My first forum posting - nice to "meet" you all! I havent managed to find my way round this thing yet and I'm at work just now so can't spend too much time but I've have some really interesting thoughts recently about connection and muscoloskeletal disorders. I'll post up some throughts properly when I have chance.

Hopefully chat soon to you all

Cookie

Lynn
31st-March-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi all

My first forum posting - nice to "meet" you all! Welcome to the forum Cookie!

I havent managed to find my way round this thing yet and I'm at work just now so can't spend too much time but I've have some really interesting thoughts recently about connection and muscoloskeletal disorders. I'll post up some throughts properly when I have chance. Some vaguely relevant thoughts I've been having elsewhere...partly as a result of a few recent injuries.

For example knees are a danger area for dancers aren't they? Anyone suffered knee pain? Or maybe I should ask anyone not suffered any knee pain ever?

If so, knowing things that are good/bad for knees is going to be helpful in long term. (I find wearing the right shoes for the right floor helps a lot. And a knee support when required.)

I'm also thinking that I can maybe strengthen certain core muscles in order to reduce the likelihood of back injuries and to improve posture?

Astro
31st-March-2007, 02:15 PM
For example knees are a danger area for dancers aren't they? Anyone suffered knee pain? Or maybe I should ask anyone not suffered any knee pain ever?

If so, knowing things that are good/bad for knees is going to be helpful in long term. (I find wearing the right shoes for the right floor helps a lot. And a knee support when required.) Everyone seems to complain of knee problems. I strained mine in a drop.

I'm also thinking that I can maybe strengthen certain core muscles in order to reduce the likelihood of back injuries and to improve posture? On another thread someone recommended pilates to strengthen core muscles - I have not tried that. Swimming is recommended by the NHS.

Does anyone know where Carlos Constantinou is? A lot of people are trying to find him.

Dance Demon
31st-March-2007, 04:54 PM
I have fairly constant pain in my knees. I am still suffering from Blackpool, because I danced all night. I have a mate who is a sports injuries physio, and I go to him regularly for a massage. He reckons the pain in my knees originates from my hips. He usually takes about 45 minutes to give a right good pummelling, and he does my calfs and hamstrings too. It's bloody sore at the time but the relief I get afterwards is amazing. Unfortunately, he is in Las Vegas just now, and I could really do with him being here, coz my knees are giving me gyp.

Astro
31st-March-2007, 06:54 PM
I have fairly constant pain in my knees. I am still suffering from Blackpool, because I danced all night. I have a mate who is a sports injuries physio, and I go to him regularly for a massage. He reckons the pain in my knees originates from my hips. :yeah: That's interesting because the doctor I saw said my knee injury may have set my groin strain off,( which is connected to the hips] so there is definately a link there.[/quote]
He usually takes about 45 minutes to give a right good pummelling, and he does my calfs and hamstrings too. It's bloody sore at the time but the relief I get afterwards is amazing. Unfortunately, he is in Las Vegas just now, and I could really do with him being here, coz my knees are giving me gyp.I know how you feel. My bloke has disapeared, a lot of his patients are looking for him.:tears:

Clueless
2nd-April-2007, 09:29 PM
I dance through the pain, sometimes if its my knee I just avoid spinning as much!

But if you have had a stiletto heel driven through your foot or scraped down you Achilles it is so temping to land in a head but I have just learnt to bite my tongue and wait to the end of the dance to walk off the floor and then crumple into a heap.

Degodier
2nd-April-2007, 10:50 PM
Depends on the pain- where 10 is childbirth :eek: (sorry guys) and 1 is walking into a chair. I'd dance up to about 6!

Can I recommend Green Lipped Mussel extract for arthritis- both types- there's some pretty convincing research and my Mum, who couldn't even grip a pen when she started it now has full functon back again. Not cheap though. Try Healthspan.

straycat
3rd-April-2007, 12:27 PM
Depends on the pain- where 10 is childbirth :eek: (sorry guys) and 1 is walking into a chair. I'd dance up to about 6!

Hey - guys suffer from childbirth too! (A serious hangover is no joke, believe me) :whistle:

jive_me
3rd-April-2007, 12:47 PM
I've had painful knees since I was about 11, Drs couldn't find anything wrong so I've now accepted it as a fact of life. They only hurt occassionally but I'll dance anyway. Sometimes my lower back hurts a lot but dancing seems to do it good. Right now I've got a pulled muscle in my left shoulder that's sufficiently painful for me to reconsider dancing...I might go tonight anyway to test the water :rolleyes:

xXx:flower:

Clueless
3rd-April-2007, 08:04 PM
Hey - guys suffer from childbirth too! (A serious hangover is no joke, believe me) :whistle:

Childbirth I have heard has been likened to having ones lower lip pulled over ones head

Mezzosoprano
4th-April-2007, 09:40 AM
Childbirth I have heard has been likened to having ones lower lip pulled over ones head

Nope - It's waaaayy worse than that....at the time of my eldest's birth (5 days in and out of labour only to have an emergency section at the end) I suggested to my husband that he might like to shove a watermelon up his nether's if he felt he really wanted to "join in" with the experience :eek:. He blanched and opted out.... :rolleyes:

Clueless
6th-April-2007, 06:47 PM
I would be screaming for the drugs!

Spin dryer
9th-April-2007, 12:23 AM
Between May and September 2006, I was almost totally incapacitated. I couldn't walk, suffered continuous excruciating pain in most of my joints, and was at times unable to perform basic bodily functions without assistance. When I returned to the dance floor in September 2006, I had to be hauled up on to my feet, and when I fell over, I was incapable of getting up without assistance. But the pleasure of being able to dance again was immense despite the pain.

It's been a very long haul for me to get my strength and flexibility back (and pilates has been a great help). A couple of weeks ago at Berkhamsted, a very plain speaking woman said to me that I used to be a crap dancer and she couldn't understand how I'd improved so much! It turned out that I'd first danced with her in September 2006 when I could barely walk, so her blunt words were a great encouragement to me.

I've always been passionate about dancing. Having been unable to walk for months means that my appreciation of every dance is magnified greatly.

I am so grateful to all my partners for the wonderful times I've had on the dancefloor since my return to good health.