PDA

View Full Version : Ignore lists features

Caro
28th-March-2007, 05:09 PM
Prompted by the recent discussion here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/forum-technical-problems-questions-suggestions/6715-ignore-lists.html)...

What would people prefer when it comes to their ignore list?

PS: Haven't had time too put too much thinking in this so moderators feel free to add poll options etc.

LMC
28th-March-2007, 05:21 PM
If vbulletin will handle it, I do quite like the two levels option too (but it's a one-option only poll - I guess to stop DJ voting for everything?)

Some people only need to be mostly ignored, not totally :na:

Trousers
28th-March-2007, 05:27 PM
Hey this post is perfect for the new Thread Repatriation procedure.
This is where a new thread is sooooo similar to a previous one it is appended to the earlier thread.

It will be available to all disgruntled forumites that have been split on by their fellows, resulting in a new thread from one of their posts.

Oh David. . . . .

ducasi
28th-March-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey this post is perfect for the new Thread Repatriation procedure.
This is where a new thread is sooooo similar to a previous one it is appended to the earlier thread.
Moderators regularly join threads too. In this case where there are two separate polls it is not possible without losing the poll on one of the threads. So, two separate threads it is.

straycat
29th-March-2007, 08:49 AM
Let's go to town :)

We could have:

A category for people you want to ignore for 24 hours 'till things have cooled down.
There's the ex-lovers' ignore, where they're on ignore 'till you're in a new relationship (this should probably tie in to the forum's dating service).
There's the selective ignore where you're quite happy chatting socially with someone, but if they post on, say, connection techniques, you don't want to see it because you're sick to death of them harping on about it.
The ex-lovers' new lover ignore, where they're not only put on Total Ignore, but actually erased from existence (with an option of bringing them back after six months when you've calmed down and realised it was All For The Best Really)

I'm sure there are others as well...

David Bailey
29th-March-2007, 09:07 AM
Let's go to town :)
{ snip }
I'm sure there are others as well...

I think you're thinking way too much about this :eek:

Trousers
29th-March-2007, 10:50 AM
{reallyobviouspost snip}
Some times D you can be too literal and miss the point!

ducasi
29th-March-2007, 10:56 AM
Some times D you can be too literal and miss the point!
I didn't miss your point, but I thought it was worth making a point myself. :)

straycat
29th-March-2007, 11:48 AM
I didn't miss your point, but I thought it was worth making a point myself. :)

I think I managed to miss the same point that you didn't miss. And the point that you made. And the point of this post I'm making now. Um. Confused now. :confused:

David Bailey
29th-March-2007, 12:09 PM
I think I managed to miss the same point that you didn't miss. And the point that you made. And the point of this post I'm making now. Um. Confused now. :confused:
You're just a one-cat thread-splitting machine, aren't you...

straycat
29th-March-2007, 12:17 PM
You're just a one-cat thread-splitting machine, aren't you...

http://www.adiumxtras.com/images/thumbs/hobbes_dock_icons_145155_thumb.png

Dreadful Scathe
29th-March-2007, 12:53 PM
hobbes!!! :)

Trousers
29th-March-2007, 02:37 PM

Got a Stupendous Man one?
That alter ego is brilliant

straycat
29th-March-2007, 04:39 PM
Got a Stupendous Man one?
That alter ego is brilliant

http://www.8stepmantis.com/daniel/stupendous_man.gif

Do you think his powers are sufficient to protect the thread from being split again?

Dreadful Scathe
29th-March-2007, 05:05 PM
but now we're talking about comic book characters, even stupendous man can't save us :)

djtrev
29th-March-2007, 05:33 PM
I am sorry but this whole ignore list business is a load of b####icks.
Its like being back at primary school-Im not talking to you anymore and your not my best friend.
For heavens sake if you want to be treated like adults then start acting like one

David Bailey
29th-March-2007, 06:07 PM
For heavens sake if you want to be treated like adults then start acting like one
Hmmmf. You're not my friend anymore, so there :na:

Seriously, ignore lists are fairly well-established in most forum systems - and if you don't like it, don't use it.

it's a bit like negative rep - some people use it, some don't, but in the end it's an optional feature, no-one forces it on you...

Cruella
29th-March-2007, 06:55 PM
it's a bit like negative rep - some people use it, some don't, but in the end it's an optional feature, no-one forces it on you...

Yes they do! When they neg rep you!

David Bailey
29th-March-2007, 07:15 PM
Yes they do! When they neg rep you!
OK, fair enough - I should have said, "no one forces you to use it". :na:

djtrev
29th-March-2007, 07:54 PM
Hmmmf. You're not my friend anymore, so there :na:

Seriously, ignore lists are fairly well-established in most forum systems - and if you don't like it, don't use it.

The fact that they are well established doesnt make it any more acceptable.
Its always the same answer-if you dont like it,dont read it,dont do this,dont do that.
To be honest I fail to see what is achieved by ignoring posts that people put on a forum,in fact if anything I would say that its a damn good reason for not bothering to post in the first place.
While I am in a ranting mood DJ.
No better still,I was then going to have a bit of a go at you DJ for one reason or another but do you know,I cant be bothered.

David Bailey
30th-March-2007, 08:42 AM
The fact that they are well established doesnt make it any more acceptable.
Hmmm.... they've been around in this forum for years, why get worked up about them now?

Its always the same answer-if you dont like it,dont read it,dont do this,dont do that.
Actually, I do have some sympathy for this point of view, and it can be taken to extremes - for example, in dancing (!), you see that a lot from poor venue organisers ("if you don't like it, don't come"), which discourages feedback from punters.

So, I'd hope that we're not projecting that kind of approach, but just explaining things and giving our opinion. It seems that, like negative rep, this is a controversial feature... However, in both cases, you have to "opt in" to the system (not as recipient, of course, but as instigator), so in neither case is anything foisted on you - to me, that's the difference.

(Hmmm... I wonder if an "opt out of the rep system" function would be useful?)

And yes, "it's always been done this way" is not a good argument by itself, but it does show that some functions have proved to be useful in an online community, so it's a good guideline to follow by default.

This community is relatively well-behaved, so these functions are relatively scarcely-used. But I think they're a good peer-policing mechanism. If you have any other suggestions for alternative mechanisms to perform similar functions, I'm sure Franck would be happy to hear them?

To be honest I fail to see what is achieved by ignoring posts that people put on a forum,in fact if anything I would say that its a damn good reason for not bothering to post in the first place.
Generally, this is used as a troll-blocking mechanism, but I won't go further because I might be accused of being inflammatory (me? :innocent: :grin: )

While I am in a ranting mood DJ.
No better still,I was then going to have a bit of a go at you DJ for one reason or another but do you know,I cant be bothered.
Oh, go on - I dare you. nay, I double-dare you :)

Dreadful Scathe
31st-March-2007, 10:41 PM
To be honest I fail to see what is achieved by ignoring posts that people put on a forum

Thats like saying you "fail to see what the point of ignoring adverts on TV" is ...but usually they are just not interesting. The forum goes a step further and rather than having to "skip the adverts" you can ask the forum to just not show them at all. To continue the TV analogy, this is exactly what TiVo does for TV. How many people would complain if their TV had a button on the remote that was on/off for "Skip Adverts" ? :)

straycat
1st-April-2007, 12:24 AM
How many people would complain if their TV had a button on the remote that was on/off for "Skip Adverts" ? :)

A lot.

Although as all of them work in advertising, they probably don't count :whistle:

djtrev
1st-April-2007, 06:20 PM
Thats like saying you "fail to see what the point of ignoring adverts on TV" is ...but usually they are just not interesting. The forum goes a step further and rather than having to "skip the adverts" you can ask the forum to just not show them at all. To continue the TV analogy, this is exactly what TiVo does for TV. How many people would complain if their TV had a button on the remote that was on/off for "Skip Adverts" ? :)

Sorry DS perhaps I didnt put it as I should.Arent we talking about individualls who will not read certain posts by other individuals.As I understand it,the ignore lists is not about the whether the content of posts is interesting or not.

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-April-2007, 02:04 AM
Sorry DS perhaps I didnt put it as I should.Arent we talking about individualls who will not read certain posts by other individuals.As I understand it,the ignore lists is not about the whether the content of posts is interesting or not.

Yes it is. The entire point in fact. If you ignore someone it stands to reason you do not find what they say interesting and would rather not bother with it. It has always been a choice - you can ignore anyone you do not find interesting; or find boring, or nasty or whatever else you can think of as a reason. Thats the point of ignore.

Howeverm if too much of the forum is like that then never visiting the website again is probably easier.

djtrev
2nd-April-2007, 10:07 AM
Yes it is. The entire point in fact. If you ignore someone it stands to reason you do not find what they say interesting and would rather not bother with it. It has always been a choice - you can ignore anyone you do not find interesting; or find boring, or nasty or whatever else you can think of as a reason. Thats the point of ignore.

Howeverm if too much of the forum is like that then never visiting the website again is probably easier.

In that case DS I have missed the point entirely.

My post was prompted by the little spat between Rocky/SF/DJ regarding Utopia.
The content of the posts was worth reading but I got the impression the ignore issue was done to a bit more than the content.I got the impression that they didnt actually like each other.

straycat
2nd-April-2007, 10:11 AM
Just had a thought. Can we have an extra ignore feature such that if you choose to ignore a particular DJ, and you subsequently go to a venue where they're playing, you can't hear their music?

I could have done with this at Guildford a few years ago, and from the sound of it, Woodface would find it invaluable at Hastings.

Lory
2nd-April-2007, 10:32 AM
I just can't see the point of ignore lists.:confused:

I find it quite easy to skim over posts, I know won't have much 'interesting' content :na:

But then again, I think some people choose to put people on ignore lists, as a point of principle and that's only effective if 'said person' knows it. But, you'd have to tell them, to make the point. :rolleyes:

And in the end, you'd only end up being more curious about what they had to say in reply!:wink:

It reminds me of when people say "I'm not talking to you!" then five minutes goes by and no one's said anything, so they chirp up again and say "I'm still not talking to you"! :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-April-2007, 10:42 AM
But then again, I think some people choose to put people on ignore lists, as a point of principle and that's only effective if 'said person' knows it. But, you'd have to tell them, to make the point. :rolleyes:

Lots of people have used ignore without advertising the fact. And if even if you do advertise the fact so "said person" knows it, it simply informs them not to bother replying :)

And in the end, you'd only end up being more curious about what they had to say in reply!:wink:

Maybe you would, but you may be the only one :)

It reminds me of when people say "I'm not talking to you!" then five minutes goes by and no one's said anything, so they chirp up again and say "I'm still not talking to you"! :rofl:

I see what you mean, but its really not the same thing. Out of thousands of peoples opinions you can read on the internet everyday, its far easier if some just dont show up :) Like getting a tub of Harry Potter jelly beans: you may as well remove the "ear wax" ones in advance :)

Lory
2nd-April-2007, 10:55 AM
Maybe you would, but you may be the only one :)You know me too well! :D

Out of thousands of peoples opinions you can read on the internet everyday, its far easier if some just dont show up :) Like getting a tub of Harry Potter jelly beans: you may as well remove the "ear wax" ones in advance :)

yeah, I suppose it does all come down to 'why' your ignoring them in the first place ;)

ducasi
2nd-April-2007, 11:15 AM
I just can't see the point of ignore lists.:confused:

I find it quite easy to skim over posts, I know won't have much 'interesting' content :na:

I used to have a couple of people on my ignore list. I can honest say that I've never seen a worthwhile post from one of them, and the other just annoyed me.

Since then, the first one has stopped posting and the second, I have developed a tolerance of. I now have an empty ignore list.

The "point" though was to make my reading of the forum a more pleasant experience for myself. At no point did I want the folks I was ignoring to know.

As far as the curiosity thing is concerned – yes, occasionally I was curious enough to find out what I had chosen to ignore. I was rarely pleasantly surprised.

With the new set-up, I guess I wouldn't have seen ignored posts, and would remain blissfully ignorant. This can only be a good thing.

straycat
2nd-April-2007, 11:27 AM
Like getting a tub of Harry Potter jelly beans: you may as well remove the "ear wax" ones in advance :)

Oh - thanks a bunch. I may never eat jelly beans again after reading that :tears:

Lory
2nd-April-2007, 12:08 PM
Since then, the first one has stopped posting and the second, I have developed a tolerance of. I now have an empty ignore list.

~snip~

As far as the curiosity thing is concerned – yes, occasionally I was curious enough to find out what I had chosen to ignore. I was rarely pleasantly surprised.

Just a question, at what point did you realised you'd developed enough tolerance, to be able to take that person off of your ignore list :confused:

ducasi
2nd-April-2007, 12:51 PM
Just a question, at what point did you realised you'd developed enough tolerance, to be able to take that person off of your ignore list :confused:
When I became a moderator, I decided to have an empty ignore list so I wouldn't miss things.

Also, apparently as moderators, we can't be ignored so I thought it only fair that if no-one can't ignore me, I shouldn't ignore any-one...

Caro
2nd-April-2007, 04:35 PM
I used to have a couple of people on my ignore list. I can honest say that I've never seen a worthwhile post from one of them, and the other just annoyed me.

The "point" though was to make my reading of the forum a more pleasant experience for myself.

:yeah: It's mostly an egoistical thing really, there's only so much rubbish that I can take in one day :innocent:.

But it also saves me from the evil temptation of neg-rep, which people don't usually like (so I'm actually doing them a favour by putting them on ignore :na: ).

djtrev
2nd-April-2007, 07:28 PM
If I can cast your mind back to a particular thread started by GAG(I think that was his forum name)

He was put on one or two peoples ignore list because of his opinionb, it certainly wasnt because his posts were not interesting.

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-April-2007, 09:37 AM
but people didnt want to read them and opted for a GAG free forum, by using "ignore". Clearly they had no "interest" in GAGs posts at all. So no , the posts were not interesting.

djtrev
3rd-April-2007, 07:33 PM
but people didnt want to read them and opted for a GAG free forum, by using "ignore". Clearly they had no "interest" in GAGs posts at all. So no , the posts were not interesting.

That is your opinion,but I still beg to differ.Personally I think that it was probably the most interesting and amusing thread of the year.For once someone had the balls to say what they felt and didnt fold under the ensuing onslaught.To my mind whether you agreed with him or not,it generated a bloody good debate.

Sheepman
3rd-April-2007, 08:05 PM
Personally I think that it was probably the most interesting and amusing thread of the year.For once someone had the balls to say what they felt
And, of course, that would be your opinion.
I was intrigued early on with GAG's posts, but before long, I gave up reading any of his/hers threads.
(So it takes balls to be able to insult people, and quote innacurate "facts" when you're being anonymous, does it?)

I haven't used the ignore feature, preferring to skim over posts from people who rarely interest me. If other people find it useful, then what's the problem? I believe if you "ignore" someone, then you won't receive pms from them, which I'm sure can be useful at times.

Greg

djtrev
3rd-April-2007, 08:38 PM
Greg,just out of interest why did you decide not to read GAGs posts.Lack of interest or because you were insulted by them/him.

straycat
3rd-April-2007, 10:25 PM
Greg,just out of interest why did you decide not to read GAGs posts.Lack of interest or because you were insulted by them/him.

I know you weren't asking me, but as I had him on ignore too I may as well answer :)

I did it because I was of the opinion that he was only on the forum to stir up trouble. Quite simply, he was nothing but a troll.

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-April-2007, 10:37 PM
That is your opinion,

Thats not my opinion, adn anyway; I'm just saying its likely the people who DID put GAG on ignore didnt find his posts interesting.

djtrev
3rd-April-2007, 10:58 PM
I know you weren't asking me, but as I had him on ignore too I may as well answer :)

I did it because I was of the opinion that he was only on the forum to stir up trouble. Quite simply, he was nothing but a troll.

So nothing to with them being uninteresting then.

Looking back at the first post of GaG all he did was give his very honest opinion of Paul Wardens style and method of teaching and have a pop at the apparent egos of some of the WCS dancers that he has seen on his travels.
The truth often hurts but I bet PW took notice and if he had anything about him he would have loooked at the criticism and probably learnt something from it.

DianaS
28th-April-2007, 04:27 PM
I had only one person on my ignore list until recently, and I had forgotten he was on until I went to add someone. Then I found I'd been ignoring him for years...I panicked...

Do I unignore him and read every thing he's written
do I carry on ignoring him,
or do I un ignore him and just read new posts
it was all too much

So I added two more people to my ignore list and suddenly the world seems a calmer place again

Thought for the day
It's fine ignoring people so long as you are not insanely curious,

if your've insanely curious though, see what happens when you ignore yourself:sick:

drathzel
28th-April-2007, 11:05 PM
i didnt get to vote, but i choose the last one!

Beowulf
2nd-May-2007, 01:48 PM
if your've insanely curious though, see what happens when you ignore yourself:sick:

I've already tried that.. ;)