PDA

View Full Version : Is there a correct/accepted way to finish a dance?

the whale
28th-March-2007, 10:07 AM
Thought about this (dangerous pastime) as most of my dances just seem to fizzle out, then I run & hide! Is there a correct/accepted way to finish off a dance.

In my yoof, whilst being dragged to the odd ceilidh, it was the norm to finish a dance with a spin (or a wee birl as we would say)! Does such a move/custom exist in ceroc?

D

straycat
28th-March-2007, 10:10 AM
Well - if you're talking about moves, that depends entirely on the song, your partner, the style of dance you're having etc etc etc - just do ... whatever feels right, whether it be a spin, a slowdown / stop, whatever occurs to you at the time.

What I think is more important comes after that - thanking your partner, walking her back where you found her - standard common courtesies, but a little too easy to forget sometimes.

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 10:30 AM
Thought about this (dangerous pastime) as most of my dances just seem to fizzle out, then I run & hide! Is there a correct/accepted way to finish off a dance.
Once you get more experience, both with music and with dancing, you'll find you tend to finish off a dance with something dramatic - a pause, or a dip, or whatever. Most MJ DJs should play tracks which have clear endings, to allow you to do this.

As for the "post-dance etiquette", I usually say some variation on "thank you", possibly with a variation of a handclasp, then walk off in search of the next victim. Hey, dance time is precious you know :)

Caro
28th-March-2007, 10:31 AM
thanking your partner

and smile ;) , that's all we need :nice:

EDIT: oh and if (and only if please) you really enjoyed the dance for whatever reason (but preferably something to do with her :na: ), let her know, i.e. "this was (really) nice, great, etc". That's always nice to know when you give your partner a good time :nice:

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 10:32 AM
Darn, I knew I'd forgotten something :tears:

Jhutch
28th-March-2007, 10:33 AM
What I think is more important comes after that - thanking your partner, walking her back where you found her - standard common courtesies, but a little too easy to forget sometimes.

:confused:

Agree with the rest but this is something that i have never done. Normally i just let them get on with what they are going to do next.

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 10:39 AM
Agree with the rest but this is something that i have never done. Normally i just let them get on with what they are going to do next.
StrayCat264 obviously has more couth than wot we do :)

straycat
28th-March-2007, 10:40 AM

Well - it isn't always the appropriate thing to do, but often it's the gentlemanly thing. I do think it's very important to keep away from the NEXT! mentality, and this is one of several ways of avoiding that.

BeccaB
28th-March-2007, 10:44 AM

Yup never happened! Am I missing something or are you just such the gentleman? :D
A thank you is always good but sometimes there's those little moments when you can't thank someone for a dance because they're trying to catch someone else, trying to do a runner or you just want to get away from them. :na:
I would love to see someone walk me back to where I was found (dance venue only) but won't hold my breath :whistle:

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 10:44 AM
Well - it isn't always the appropriate thing to do, but often it's the gentlemanly thing. I do think it's very important to keep away from the NEXT! mentality, and this is one of several ways of avoiding that.
Plus, she may have a fit friend next to her :wink: :whistle: :devil:

Twirly
28th-March-2007, 10:49 AM

Hmm, interesting. I don’t think this has ever happened to me. If I’m lucky I get a thank you :nice: , if I’m very lucky I get a compliment :clap: , sometimes I just get deserted in the middle of the floor :( I always say thank you – I’m afraid even if I haven’t enjoyed the dance… (I was brought up well, don’t you know).

The only problem with walking your partner back to where you found her is if she doesn’t want to go back there! :mad: She may have spotted her next “victim” and actually wanting to be stalking, er no sorry :blush: , I mean going to ask them to dance. Or going to the bar or the loo.

Tiggerbabe
28th-March-2007, 10:53 AM
but often it's the gentlemanly thing. :D I've done it, when I've been leading :hug: and I have also had it done to me :cheers:

Freya
28th-March-2007, 10:53 AM
Good Stuff!
:yeah: basically what I would have said!

It's hard to know sometimes that the end of a song is coming up therefore you can't really plan for a good dramtic finish!!!

It also takes alot of experience and practice!

My advice is have fun right to the end just keep going, don't think

'Uh oh end of song coming up must do something flashy!'

If you really know a peice of music then try and strike a pose or something at the end but don't try too hard! The other thing to do is listen to lots and lots of music over and over again! If you get to know the music then it gets easier to dance to it!

But as long as you smile and say thankyou at the end of the dance then it doesn't really matter how it actually ends when the music stops!

Jhutch
28th-March-2007, 10:57 AM
Lest anyone should think that i just run off without even a half-smile or a word of thanks, i do thank my partner and try to look/smile at them before walking off (usually in a similarish way to the way they are going).:innocent: On a wider note, i have even been known to hold doors open for women rather than letting them slam in their face:really:

Anyway, back on topic,

Well - if you're talking about moves, that depends entirely on the song, your partner, the style of dance you're having etc etc etc - just do ... whatever feels right, whether it be a spin, a slowdown / stop, whatever occurs to you at the time.

:yeah: is what i try to do, although there are times when i am caught out or just mess it up and find myself in the twist-out of a yo-yo or such like.

Jhutch
28th-March-2007, 11:01 AM
Good stuff!

Sorry, but that made me laugh when you scroll back uo DJ's most recent post and find

Plus, she may have a fit friend next to her :wink: :whistle: :devil:

Caro
28th-March-2007, 11:24 AM
Hmm, interesting. I don’t think this has ever happened to me.

Like TB, it's happened to me too, maybe the Scottish men are better at this :wink:

Ghost
28th-March-2007, 12:10 PM

It's hard to know sometimes that the end of a song is coming up therefore you can't really plan for a good dramtic finish!!!

Cheat :whistle: Have a few moves that chain into each other smoothly, but each one looks like a finish pose. Hit the first one - if the DJ keeps going hit the second one etc.

Lynn
28th-March-2007, 01:03 PM

EDIT: oh and if (and only if please) you really enjoyed the dance for whatever reason (but preferably something to do with her :na: ), let her know, i.e. "this was (really) nice, great, etc". That's always nice to know when you give your partner a good time :nice: :yeah: Sometimes, if its been a good dance, and esp if its been a bluesy dance, dances can end with a little hug. Tends to be with familiar partners and its a mutual expression of 'enjoyed the dance' .

Frankie_4711
28th-March-2007, 05:55 PM
Hmm, interesting. I don’t think this has ever happened to me. If I’m lucky I get a thank you :nice: , if I’m very lucky I get a compliment :clap: , sometimes I just get deserted in the middle of the floor :( I always say thank you – I’m afraid even if I haven’t enjoyed the dance… (I was brought up well, don’t you know).

The only problem with walking your partner back to where you found her is if she doesn’t want to go back there! :mad: She may have spotted her next “victim” and actually wanting to be stalking, er no sorry :blush: , I mean going to ask them to dance. Or going to the bar or the loo.

:yeah: Plus it would be hard to walk me back to where you found me, coz it would almost certainly have been somewhere in the middle of the dancefloor anyway!!

Green-eyed Monsta
28th-March-2007, 08:21 PM
The only problem with walking your partner back to where you found her is if she doesn’t want to go back there! :mad: She may have spotted her next “victim” ...

I just say where I want to go next and get them to take me there...

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 08:28 PM
So, the safest thing is to say thank you, smile, then let her go?

nikki
28th-March-2007, 08:46 PM
I think there are so many different ways of doing these things that I am quite nervous about going to my second class tomorrow evening!:grin:

I thought I was doing pretty well to remember some of the moves I learned last week and now I find I not only have to think about the clothes I wear and the next moves I'm going to learn, but also about all these wee things that could go so wrong! I'm dizzy just thinking about it!:wink:

Seriously, I think in this day and age we all get too hung up on what etiquette permits etc etc and whilst one person would be happy with the ending provided by one dance partner, the next partner may not be happy with that. I think as long as you are happy with how the dance ends (and if that includes walking them back to the place you found them, which I think is a Scottish thing as I was always taught this during the ceilidh dance lessons in school and I think is a nice thing to do) then that's all that matters. If there's one thing I've learned about my (almost) 29 years on this planet, it's that you can't please all of the people all of the time. As long as you are polite and courteous to your dance partner (ie with pleases and thank-yous) then I don't think anyone can really complain.

Nikki
x:flower:

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 09:04 PM
I think there are so many different ways of doing these things that I am quite nervous about going to my second class tomorrow evening!:grin:
Good luck with that! :clap:

I thought I was doing pretty well to remember some of the moves I learned last week and now I find I not only have to think about the clothes I wear and the next moves I'm going to learn, but also about all these wee things that could go so wrong! I'm dizzy just thinking about it!:wink:
Seriously, it's never too early for a follower to forget about moves - remembering moves is the leader's job.

As long as you can recognise what he's leading, you'll do fine. Yes, OK, you'll get the odd look from beginner leaders if you don't do what you're "supposed" to, but he's the leader, remember - all you need to do is follow.

As long as you are polite and courteous to your dance partner (ie with pleases and thank-yous) then I don't think anyone can really complain.x:flower:
:clap: Nice sentiments :grin:

nikki
28th-March-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks, David, for those lovely words of encouragement!

Have a wee hug...:hug:

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 10:03 PM
Have a wee hug...:hug:
Don't get all luvvy on me, you'll ruin my reputation :na:

nikki
28th-March-2007, 10:08 PM
Oops! Sorry! Would you prefer a wee face with sunglasses on then? Or something a bit more macho like the two wee blokes doin the cheers thing? I think that would be better actually- here you go!

:cheers:

Hehehe :wink:

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 10:45 PM
Oops! Sorry! Would you prefer a wee face with sunglasses on then? Or something a bit more macho like the two wee blokes doin the cheers thing? I think that would be better actually- here you go!

:cheers:

Hehehe :wink:

:rofl: - thanks. I love smilies...

MartinHarper
28th-March-2007, 10:50 PM
Depends on the music.

Music builds to a dramatic climax? So should the dancing. Dips/Drops/aerials/whatever.

Music cuts out "unexpectedly"? So should the dancing. It's good form for the ending to appear to "surprise" the dancers, even if it doesn't because they know the song.

Music just fades away? Again, so should the dancing. Just some repeated arm jive, getting smaller and lighter until it's nothing at all.

I suck at endings, though.

Rios Dearg
23rd-April-2007, 11:32 PM
Personally, I dont mind on which pose, or part of a move a dance ends on...as long we both enjoyed it.

I dont think it is necessary to walk your partner back to her seat, as (like someone has already said) she may have spotted her next partner/victim already. :wink:

Having said that, I never, ever walk away from a partner without at the very least saying 'Thank you' and usually adding something complimentary like 'That was a lovely dance' or 'You are a really good lead' or 'I loved that track, didnt you?'.

Ive never, ever had a dance that didnt have something good about it!

Raul
16th-May-2007, 11:34 PM
Having said that, I never, ever walk away from a partner without at the very least saying 'Thank you' and usually adding something complimentary like 'That was a lovely dance' or 'You are a really good lead' or 'I loved that track, didnt you?'.

Ive never, ever had a dance that didnt have something good about it!

Come on Rios Dearg - you are being very diplomatic, you must have had dances where the something good was ...... the finish. However like you , the nimimum i say is thank you or a smile.

One correct way to finish a dance is to dance to the end of the music and stop there and say or do non-dance, social things.
It is not polite to stop beforehand as it gives the impression that you have had enough. Similarly, unless you know the dancing partner well and have good connection, it is rude and grabby to hand on to them and carry on dancing without music until it comes on again with a mumbled "dance again".

Beowulf
17th-May-2007, 08:24 AM
I normally finish a dance by apologising, mopping up any blood spills and ensuring the ambulance is on it's way :wink:

Stoppit.. no, I'm not that bad.

I mean to say, I normally thank the person I've been dancing with.. .. THEN apologise, mop up the blood etc ;)

Double Trouble
17th-May-2007, 08:33 AM
There is one guy...yes he is a forumite...who always kisses my hand at the end of a dance (its not just me, he does it to lots of women).

I like that.:innocent:

Terpsichorea
17th-May-2007, 08:40 AM
There is one guy...yes he is a forumite...who always kisses my hand at the end of a dance (its not just me, he does it to lots of women).

I had an embarassing kissing moment at a recent freestyle - when the dance had finished, I leaned forward to say thank you, and she mis-read my intention and ended up pecking me on the cheek :blush:

Double Trouble
17th-May-2007, 08:48 AM
I had an embarassing kissing moment at a recent freestyle - when the dance had finished, I leaned forward to say thank you, and she mis-read my intention and ended up pecking me on the cheek :blush:

Shouldn't be so damn sexy and irrisistable then should you.:devil:

Lee Bartholomew
17th-May-2007, 09:24 AM

Is it the corpse?

Terpsichorea
17th-May-2007, 09:30 AM
Shouldn't be so damn sexy and irrisistable then should you.:devil:

The worst part was that I kind of froze in mid-air with surprise when she did it!:sick: I don't think she thought I was very suave after that!

Double Trouble
17th-May-2007, 09:33 AM
The worst part was that I kind of froze in mid-air with surprise when she did it!:sick: I don't think she thought I was very suave after that!

Yeah. Best not to run away screaming when a partner gives you a peck on the cheek. Not a great look:sick:

I bet you wouldnt have had that reaction if it was some hot biatch that you fancied though.

Terpsichorea
17th-May-2007, 09:39 AM
Yeah. Best not to run away screaming when a partner gives you a peck on the cheek. Not a great look:sick:

I bet you wouldnt have had that reaction if it was some hot biatch that you fancied though.

Well...if it was a G-love thang, then it would be straight into a comb and a bodyroll :yum:

whitetiger1518
17th-May-2007, 09:55 AM
I try and curtsy at the end of a dance.

Looks not too bad and gives me a minute longer in the lead's arms while I give my head a second or two to become not so dizzy... (It can be a bit embarrasing if you step away from your dance partner and collapse in a heap due to dizziness:eek:)

Saying that though:

If I am in the Blues room, the curtsy could well make me more dizzy ( :awe: :love: and :hug:s to those at Blaze on Sunday night between 2.30 and 4.30 - you guys know who you are :worthy: )

Whitetiger slips away into happy memories :drool:

Cheers
Whitetiger

Lee Bartholomew
17th-May-2007, 10:00 AM
Tut and mutter "that was awfull" under your breath. Shake your head then go and grab their best dancing friend then make a fuss of how great they are.

No?

Terpsichorea
17th-May-2007, 10:02 AM
Tut and mutter "that was awfull" under your breath. Shake your head then go and grab their best dancing friend then make a fuss of how great they are.

No?

Maybe stand with arms akimbo, glare and say Well thanks. Thanks for nothing. Can I have that three minutes of my life back now?

Lee Bartholomew
17th-May-2007, 10:06 AM
Or saying "yup everyone said you were awfull"

or "Have you finished having a fit or shall I call an ambulance" (prob works best with bouncers)

Terpsichorea
17th-May-2007, 10:14 AM
Or saying "yup everyone said you were awfull"

or "Have you finished having a fit or shall I call an ambulance" (prob works best with bouncers)

Whereas in reality, we all do the That was lovely, I really enjoyed that, through gritted teeth, while vowing silently never again!!!

Lee Bartholomew
17th-May-2007, 11:24 AM
Shhhs Don't say that.

You should never put the truth on here. Just write about what people want to hear. :whistle: :rofl:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/intermediate-corner/12571-telling-beginners-truth.html