PDA

View Full Version : Mind-reading ability of some women and chaos

JiveLad
27th-March-2007, 08:47 AM
I have noticed heightened perceptive abilities - almost mind-reading skill in women during a dance. (The pre-dance 'asking' context is another rich vein of female perceptive skills - perhaps already covered adequately).

Example
I have noticed that when I screw things up in a dance it is often because I've been thinking of 2 different things I could do next and then it ends up being neither one nor the other and we get mangled.

Now, what I have noticed is (i) that 'micro' mis-management of the hands (resulting from brain sending screwed up signal) results in a 'macro' outcome in what the woman does - so there is a large amplification effect: a small 'twitch' in my fingers becomes arms and bodies all over the place (perhaps this is an example of chaos theory*)
(ii) that with some women, this amplification is almost instantaneous (maybe even pre-twitch) - and is almost like "I read your mind - and at that point you didn't know which move we were going to do".

Obviously, this is not something I try and do (!) - however, my current screw-up rate in this context is probably 2 or 3 times a night.

What's the point of this post? Dunno - it's just something that amazes me - and wondered if anyone else had any similar experiences?

* I guess that means Ceroc/MJ is a non-linear dynamical system. (?)

TurboTomato
27th-March-2007, 09:41 AM
Meh :sick:

LMC
27th-March-2007, 12:41 PM
If a micro movement on your part results in your follower's 'macro' movement, then (s)he is more than likely a good follower and reacting to your lead. Even if it was an inadvertent lead.

Caro
27th-March-2007, 12:43 PM
Meh :sick:

:yeah: Seriously, you have a blog, use it. :rolleyes:

Gadget
27th-March-2007, 01:05 PM
Yup: most screwups I have are where I am indecided and 'rush' for one option. Why is this happening? Because a move is started to be led (ie prepared) a beat or two before the actual movement. This is what the followers are mind reading, even if you are unaware that you are broadcasting it. :D

(Once you are aware of it, you can really play about with moves and the follower's anticipation :devil: )

Ghost
3rd-April-2007, 05:39 PM
What Gadget just said

MartinHarper
3rd-April-2007, 10:25 PM
Good followers act so as to amplify the lead. The extent varies a little from movement to movement. In experienced followers this amplification occurs at a pre-conscious level, so it appears instantaneous. If the leader reacts to the way their partner moves, then you have all the ingredients for a "chaotic" system.

Just to throw things out there, the "mind reading" thing might come because the brain is imperfect when ordering events. Suppose I move my hand, and that moves my partner. I sense my movement using one sense (kinesthetic sense), and I see my partner's movement with another sense (visual sense). The brain doesn't run on a single central clock, like a PC, so if I get information from these two senses at similar times, there's no way I can be sure which happened first.

Mezzosoprano
4th-April-2007, 09:28 AM
Good followers act so as to amplify the lead. The extent varies a little from movement to movement. In experienced followers this amplification occurs at a pre-conscious level, so it appears instantaneous. If the leader reacts to the way their partner moves, then you have all the ingredients for a "chaotic" system.

Just to throw things out there, the "mind reading" thing might come because the brain is imperfect when ordering events. Suppose I move my hand, and that moves my partner. I sense my movement using one sense (kinesthetic sense), and I see my partner's movement with another sense (visual sense). The brain doesn't run on a single central clock, like a PC, so if I get information from these two senses at similar times, there's no way I can be sure which happened first.

to be honest....I sometimes think my brain's not running at all! Or maybe it just looks that way?