PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for handling wild women?

JiveLad
26th-March-2007, 08:53 AM
I had 2 dances on Friday, with different women, who I can only describe as 'wild'.

Forget anticipation or back leading, this was full on 'I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do for the whole dance.....' - and do it in an exagerrated fashion, with arms and legs flailing everywhere at high speed. (Led to a series of near-misses in the 1st one - like I was passenger in a car being driven the wrong way up the motorway).

Was there something in the London water? Was I just unlucky?

I didn't know what to do - expcept just grin and bear it, with a stiff upper lip......was I being too gentle?

The last time I remember a dance anywhere near like these 2, was in the USA last year - and I met that dancer 2 weeks later, when I said to her, after a less wild dance, (in a Hugh Grant kind of way): "Dancing with you was like breaking in a wild horse, were you on something?)".

Not sure I could say that at Ashtons without being mashed back into space dust.

Tehnically is there anything which could be done?

FoxyFunkster
26th-March-2007, 09:13 AM
I had 2 dances on Friday, with different women, who I can only describe as 'wild'.

Forget anticipation or back leading, this was full on 'I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do for the whole dance.....' - and do it in an exagerrated fashion, with arms and legs flailing everywhere at high speed. (Led to a series of near-misses in the 1st one - like I was passenger in a car being driven the wrong way up the motorway).

I didn't know what to do - expcept just grin and bear it, with a stiff upper lip......was I being too gentle?

The last time I remember a dance anywhere near like these 2, was in the USA last year - and I met that dancer 2 weeks later, when I said to her, after a less wild dance, (in a Hugh Grant kind of way): "Dancing with you was like breaking in a wild horse, were you on something?)".

i`m not sure you could have done anything except stop mid dance at a break in the music and say as nicely as possible.....please let me lead!!

however i do think there is some reference to the connection thread when you read about some people who dance on their own so to speak! When i encounter these circumstances the best thing to do IMHO is to just forget trying to dance together as use the dance to try new moves or to practice certain things....and lets be honest she isn`t going to notice one little bit by the sounds of it!!!!

Yliander
26th-March-2007, 09:28 AM
you could try just standing still and let her go for it....

FoxyFunkster
26th-March-2007, 09:31 AM
you could try just standing still and let her go for it....

and sneeking off to the bar for quick drink while she does it....actually i`m not totally convinced she would have noticed.....:rolleyes:

foxylady
26th-March-2007, 09:40 AM
and sneeking off to the bar for quick drink while she does it....actually i`m not totally convinced she would have noticed.....:rolleyes:

thats where you went..... I did wonder .... :devil:

FoxyFunkster
26th-March-2007, 09:45 AM
thats where you went..... I did wonder .... :devil:

oh come on you know i`d never leave you during a training session!

Trouble
26th-March-2007, 09:47 AM

your not buggered if a woman wants to do what she wants to do, you have to do not have to let her get on with it.

options are

1. Tell her to let you lead (think somebody has already suggested that)
2. Try following her and putting in some groovy moves.
3. Stand there laughing then walk away
4. Grip her hard and make her stand there swaying for the whole of the routine
5. Pretend to sprain your ankle, limp off and hide
6. Drop her into a ballroom drop and leave her there.
7. Start frotting her, that normally does the trick.
8. Let her get on with it and go with the flow.

Well there you go Jive lad... a few options that are all possibilities. I somewhat am sad at the dances you had which can put many a man off but seeing as i was unable to attend, there is an eliment of me that is soooooo happy and smiling. :D :D :D :yum: :yum:

Cruella
26th-March-2007, 10:30 AM
as i was unable to attend, there is an eliment of me that is soooooo happy and smiling. :D :D :D :yum: :yum:

I was there and I danced with Jivelad!! :eek:

David Bailey
26th-March-2007, 10:34 AM
Lots of things - depending on whether you want to get her to calm down, or whether you just want to adjust your dancing to adapt to her, err, style.

For example, if the former, then moves like sways and baskets allow you to control your partner (and the tempo) much better - it's difficult for her to bop around if she's wrapped in close.

Alternatively, if the latter, allow her more space to do her own thing - lots of walkarounds and hallelujahs are called for.

Trouble
26th-March-2007, 10:39 AM

your not mentioned on his blog so think your alright :rolleyes: :awe:

Cruella
26th-March-2007, 10:41 AM
You mean someone actually reads it? :wink:

robd
26th-March-2007, 10:44 AM

She probably is but her name will have been abbreviated to Cilla or Crawla or something :rolleyes:

Trouble
26th-March-2007, 10:47 AM
She probably is but her name will have been abbreviated to Cilla or Crawla or something :rolleyes:

there is a joke in there somewhere but i am resisting. :wink:

JiveLad
26th-March-2007, 11:42 AM

Haha - no - as I said on your post elsewhere, you were more at the exotic and expensive end of the spectrum. (Despite having no pockets).

PS - JiveLad goes global.........following the Ashtons post, for some reason loads of people from: Italy, Spain, Belgium, Pakistan, Iran, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria (to name just a few) started hitting the blog.
It's something to do with the image (nails) I think - but I can't work it out (see thread on the Geeks area).

Gadget
26th-March-2007, 01:04 PM
Some good advice on this thread:
Avoiding pain (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/intermediate-corner/4793-avoiding-pain.html)

But if you mean "wild" as in 'enthusiastic and bouncy', then I would just go for it and match them.

WittyBird
26th-March-2007, 01:20 PM

Or if Fletch was writing it Crewela, but I do like the name Crawla

Ghost
26th-March-2007, 01:33 PM
Probably the most important thing if she's flailing is head to where there's a lot of space on the dance floor. At that point you can go with the flow. If it's crowded, embrace the David James way of trapping - baskets, straightjackets etc :whistle: I did once work out how to keep a lady basically in place - the idea being more to protect her from lunatics without floorcraft by having a wall behind her and me in front. The obvious example is an in and out, but there's a surprising number that work. Figure out which of your moves would work and if it happens on a crowded floor, get her over to an edge / corner and keep her there. Do it well enough and she won't realise.......

JiveLad
26th-March-2007, 05:04 PM
Some good advice on this thread:
Avoiding pain (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/intermediate-corner/4793-avoiding-pain.html)

But if you mean "wild" as in 'enthusiastic and bouncy', then I would just go for it and match them.

Thanks Gadget for the link......yes it was more in the pain territory - next morning I was walking in town and realised my arm and shoulder were stiff/painful - and then worked out that those 2 dances probably contributed to that.

On the first 'wild' dance I recollect doing one of the bits of advice - which was basket with tight hold and I think I said to her something like "haha - you're not going anywhere now"......but I only did that once. I guess when it was crowded I was also concerned about her crashing into fellow dancers - I'm sure some of them most have been a bit unhappy with it.

The second one was just pure leading on her part - and she also had my other pet hate - which is big f*** off rings on her right hand. Pure knuckle duster territory. I know in the Ten Commandments thread there was a thing about this.........and I wholeheartedly agree - I hate them! Grrr. Rant off. I'll go and sit in the garden and get some sun and fresh air.

David Bailey
26th-March-2007, 05:25 PM
The second one was just pure leading on her part
Of course, I'm sure that, if asked, she'd defend herself by saying "Hijacking is what Advanced Dancers do"... :whistle:

Ghost
26th-March-2007, 05:31 PM
Of course, I'm sure that, if asked, she'd defend herself by saying "Hijacking is what Advanced Dancers do"... :whistle:

I don't think you're supposed to hijack for an entire dance though :na: (Having said that it must take a certain degree of skill to backlead all the moves for an entire dance - it's totally beyond me so :respect: in a strange kind of way)

JiveLad
26th-March-2007, 05:33 PM

Yeah - if she was an Advanced dancer that would have been fine with me. Personally, as I've written about on a few occasions (guess where - just search for 'hijack') - I enjoy being hijacked (I include bottom slapping in that - although it's probably strictly not hijacking(?)).

Anyway - as has been said many times - it's just 3 minutes of your life - and I think next time it will be a 1 minute basket and 1 minute tight sway. (the first minute is taken up by a gradual realisation that this is going to be an opportunity to put into practice some forum advice).

Terpsichorea
3rd-April-2007, 12:03 PM
I'd rather dance with a wild woman, any day of the week, than someone who acts as if they're dosed up on lithium. I ended up in freestyle last night with a particularly doleful lady, who stared into the middle distance throughout our dance, with an expression of faint distaste on her face, like a nurse obliged to carry out a prostate examination.

'Do you always look so serious?' she asked, as our dance drew to a conclusion. 'Yes,' I was tempted to say, 'especially when I'm dancing with someone who looks about as enthused as I would be if I was washing a tramp's genitals.' :sick:

NZ Monkey
3rd-April-2007, 12:39 PM
'Do you always look so serious?' she asked, as our dance drew to a conclusion. 'Yes,' I was tempted to say, 'especially when I'm dancing with someone who looks about as enthused as I would be if I was washing a tramp's genitals.' :sick:Queue innuendo from Trampy :wink:

Tiggerbabe
3rd-April-2007, 12:56 PM
Queue innuendo from Trampy :wink:
*crosses fingers* we might be ok, he did say a tramp and not the :)

NZ Monkey
3rd-April-2007, 01:28 PM
*crosses fingers* we might be ok, he did say a tramp and not the :)...and thats Ms Tramp to you....?:na:

[/homage to witty T-shirts]

TA Guy
3rd-April-2007, 02:17 PM
I don't think you're supposed to hijack for an entire dance though :na: (Having said that it must take a certain degree of skill to backlead all the moves for an entire dance - it's totally beyond me so :respect: in a strange kind of way)

Hijacking the whole dance, isn't that leading ? :)

tsh
4th-April-2007, 11:18 AM
Assuming that it's someone dancing in a way that i don't connect with (e.g. she isn't moving with the music) then I opt for a completely minimal lead, flat hand, limp arm, etc. I'll probably just stick to simple change of places moves for the whole track as well, since these place little dependence on being followed. Not only does this make my dance less effort, but hopefully it means i'll never be asked again. Sometimes I get a 'well done' comment at the end of the dance, as if she thinks I'm a beginner :D

If it's a fast rock and roll track with someone who can dance at that speed, I'll do my best to keep up, and hope that the track isn't too long!

Little Minx
4th-April-2007, 04:28 PM
Well at least you guys know how we 'followers' feel now:confused: I know its a male led dance, I know i have to follow but sometimes this can be just as exasperating:mad: when it is the lead doing all the flinging and flailing! Sometimes I feel as if I've had a workout at the gym not a dance! Its all about give and take I suppose and avoidance if a 2nd dance is looming:tears:

Spin dryer
7th-May-2007, 11:39 PM
I had 2 dances ...with different women, who I can only describe as 'wild'.

Good thread.

I've noticed a growth pattern that afflicts a (fortunately very small) minority of women:

1. Over enthusiastic beginner with flailing limbs combined with a vice like grip.

2. Submissive follower not yet confident enough to play.

3. Growing confidence brings with it embellishments which are uncontrolled but sufficiently conservative that you can still keep the follower under control.

4. Too much confidence leads once again to wild flailings, zero eye contact and what I can only describe as more an act of masturbation by the follower than an attempt to connect.

5. The follower believes that she is such a mega hotshot that she can ignore both you and the beat.

6. She meets a similarly egotistical leader and, together, they become a wonder to behold.

Raul
8th-May-2007, 01:53 AM
There are moves specially designed for dealing with Wild Women..

the first one is the "Lassoo Sway"

try a sharp one of these followed by the

"Straight Jacket".

As a last resort you could try the "Drop of Death".