PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc Wiltshire - Advice Please

StokeBloke
20th-March-2007, 01:37 PM
I am going to be travelling down to Wiltshire at Easter to visit my mum and dad. They were quite excited to find out that we had started to dance modern jive as my dad was a teddy boy commonly known as a thug, and my mum was... well a teddy girl or a thugette I suppose. But they used to jive.

It would be great to take them out to a Ceroc venue in Wiltshire when we go down, but which one? It looks like a toss up between Salisbury or Chippenham at the moment. Has anyone here any experience of these venues? I know that the difference in the quality of venues can be quite dramatic, and I would want their first experience of MJ to be good enough to get them back dancing again. Friendly crew, good loud music to reduce anecdote suffrage and preferably no Mods for father to fight with :eek:

I know there is Ceroc in Swindon too, but dad got a speeding ticket there (47 in a 40... God knows I have heard the story enough times) about 20-25 years ago and he's literally never been back since - weirdo! So Swindon isn't really an option, unless I smuggle him there (getting Mr. T onto a plane in the A Team style "You ain't goin' t' get me t' Swindon fool") :whistle:

Any advice, pointers, mini-reviews..... on the venues? Also any pointers on dealing with slightly psychotic, mildly violent, but thankfully frail pensioners always welcome:)

N.B. They're lovely really! But they may become violent towards me if they saw this post. So print it off and invite us along hehehehe

jive-vee
20th-March-2007, 01:56 PM
Not been to Salisbury or Chippenham venues but you should come over and say hi to the Ginger lot at Bath on a Wed night. Really friendly bunch, nice crew :whistle: , good music, nice floor.

Mary
20th-March-2007, 02:03 PM
Can't comment on the other venues, but I have been to a Swindon freestyle which I can highly recommend.

Why not blindfold your Dad so he doesn't know where he's going. Richard Beauvoisin teaches and DJ's at Swindon and is the franchise owner. He is a great teacher and I like most of the music he plays. I found it had a good buzzy atmosphere and everyone was very friendly, and I was quite impressed with the standard of dancing. :worthy:

I think Richard has some other venues in the area, and I know he has just started a new venue on a Monday night, so would be good for beginners.

Hope this helps.

M

Lee Bartholomew
20th-March-2007, 02:23 PM
Danced in Swindon on Sat just gone and it was Great. Rocky and Val were there. Didn't get a chance to dance with richard but he seemed pretty good to watch and is apparently a great teacher.

The venue was pretty good and the floor was fairly quick.

What day are you planning on going? Can find out about the venues as I know a dancer down there pretty well.

spindr
20th-March-2007, 02:47 PM
There's a few venues -- not quite sure where'd be best for you -- maybe have a look at the AfterFive map (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/maps/Modern_Jive-links.html) and click on the markers that look closest.

SpinDr

Twirlie Bird
20th-March-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi Woodface. We are looking to come down on either Tues 9th, Wed 10th or Thurs 11th April. :cheers:

Also does anyone know if there are any freestyles on over the Easter weekend either in the Wiltshire area (Swindon included) :whistle: or anywhere between Wiltshire and Stoke. I am currently trying to arrange the trip to the in-laws and am trying to combine it with dance in both directions. :rofl:

Twirlie Bird
-x-

Lee Bartholomew
20th-March-2007, 06:34 PM
Ginger Jive have classes on Around that area most days (GingerJive (http://www.gingerjive.com/pages/classes.php?catID=2)) for list

Ceroc Live is the other org in that area they have classes every day except Monday Ceroc Live (http://www.ceroclive.com/)

Let me know if you are going to any in particular and I might catch you there.

Don't know when Easter Weekend is but if either of these two have a freestyle on, details should be on their pages. Could also look on the UK Jive list. Modern jive events for the next 4 weeks. (http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/event-list.asp)

Mr Cool
21st-March-2007, 07:36 PM
I would go for Swindon on a weds. Chippenham on thurs. or the new friday venue at Wooton Basset nice people the music is ok Ginger jive is ok but older dancers.
:waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

Twirlie Bird
21st-March-2007, 09:06 PM
I would go for Swindon on a weds. Chippenham on thurs.

Will you be at either of these nights :whistle:

jive-vee
22nd-March-2007, 12:34 AM
I would go for Swindon on a weds. Chippenham on thurs. or the new friday venue at Wooton Basset nice people the music is ok Ginger jive is ok but older dancers.

Hey! Who are you calling old!?!?!:really: :angry: :rofl:

Mr Cool
25th-March-2007, 12:20 AM
Will you be at either of these nights :whistle:

Im almost always there on Weds In Swindon but normally for the last hour and a half:flower:

StokeBloke
25th-March-2007, 04:50 AM
Looks like we're going to be going to Wilton on Thursday the 12th. Anyone else here dance at Wilton on a Thursday, it'd be cool to meet up and say hi. :clap: :clap:

Mr Cool
25th-March-2007, 07:53 PM
Looks like we're going to be going to Wilton on Thursday the 12th. Anyone else here dance at Wilton on a Thursday, it'd be cool to meet up and say hi. :clap: :clap:

Well say Hi to Carol for me she is a superb Dancer Wonderful.:flower:

:waycool: :waycool:

nebula
15th-July-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi there - continuation.
I will be coming back from hols on 2nd August - to Heathrow, and looking at going off to Wales for a few days. Looking at it, the two best seems to be Newbury and Andover on Thursday - not too far from Heathrow - any idea which one's better? And also anybody knows what's going on in Wales Friday / Saturday / Sunday? The only one I can find mentioned is Cardiff on Mondays? Any tips / advice greatly appreciated.

Lee Bartholomew
15th-July-2007, 05:21 PM
Ceroc Live hold some of the best dances around this way, though maybe alittle far out for you. Chippenham on a thursday (just off M4) is morn quite goof. Wooton Basset on A fri Norm has lots of the Ceroc Champs attend too.

nebula
15th-July-2007, 11:46 PM
Morn quite goof?:confused: Does that mean that after the dancing there in the morning after you feel all goof? :grin:
I presume that was norm quite good :wink: - please enlighten me!

Lee Bartholomew
16th-July-2007, 11:10 AM
Yup. Wrote that in a rush :blush:

nebula
17th-July-2007, 07:45 AM
What about Stansted? Anyone knows anything about this area?

Cruella
17th-July-2007, 08:31 AM
What about Stansted? Anyone knows anything about this area?

There's an airport there. :na:

Keefy
17th-July-2007, 10:19 AM
What about Stansted? Anyone knows anything about this area?You rang? :D I'm local to Stansted, what do you want to know?

nebula
18th-July-2007, 03:24 PM
A bit of change of plan:nice:
I will be going from Heathrow to Stansted on Thursday night and will need to stay somewhere in the airport vicinity for the night (any B&Bs recommendations, as well?). What I thought I would like to do is pop in somewhere nice to have a dance, as well - so, what IS in there on Thursdays?

Keefy
18th-July-2007, 08:42 PM
I will be going from Heathrow to Stansted on Thursday night and will need to stay somewhere in the airport vicinity for the night (any B&Bs recommendations, as well?). What I thought I would like to do is pop in somewhere nice to have a dance, as well - so, what IS in there on Thursdays?B&B : I live here, so I can't really comment on the local B&B's as I've never tried them :nice: Depends whether you're coming by car or not, how far from the airport? If you find anything on the web then feel free to ask, I might know of it or the area.

As for dance venues... not a lot happens around here, see Weekly Modern Jive Clubs (http://www.modernjive.com/Maps/map91t-8.html), especially on a Thursday :sick: There's nothing within easy reach of Stansted without a car, you may be better getting the train down to London!

Not a lot of help I'm afraid, but if you've got anything specific to ask then feel free.

nebula
19th-July-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the link - I will be going by car, so not a problem