PDA

View Full Version : Fast music

Gadget
16th-July-2003, 08:43 AM
Anyone else find that the repertoir of moves you dance is reduced in relation to the speed of the song you are dancing to?

Point in case: last night I only managed to throw beginner moves together and repeat moves when dancing to a really fast track, however dancing to a fairly slow one I was putting some moves together that flowed nicely, had good variation and crisper leads.
Perhaps my brain can't process the variations and options at high speed? :what:

Alfie
16th-July-2003, 09:55 AM
Good morning All
No I have the same problem dancing to fast tunes. I've found that any moves that run over more than twelve beats tend to become disjointed and you miss alot of catches. You can slow parts down by not dancing on the half beat but on every other like oldtime rock and roll jive.
Also if it is a really rapid track alot of fast moving spins can't be pleasant for your partner unless she is capable of spinning like a drill.
I know some ladies like lots of spins and twirly bits so I will go and look for a "Fast" women for really quick tunes. As my Dad once told me "Son, you can't beat a fast woman!!"
I've also found that many experienced ladies are quite happy to dance beginner moves to any type of music as long as they are danced with accuracy and a bit of style and flair.
Not that I posses any personally. Any way its only dancing after all. Plus most fast tracks are oldies, most of which are under three minutes long. Hoorah!! to the age of Vynll.
Happy Jivin
Alf

TheTramp
16th-July-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Gadget
Anyone else find that the repertoir of moves you dance is reduced in relation to the speed of the song you are dancing to?

Point in case: last night I only managed to throw beginner moves together and repeat moves when dancing to a really fast track, however dancing to a fairly slow one I was putting some moves together that flowed nicely, had good variation and crisper leads.
Perhaps my brain can't process the variations and options at high speed? :what: Absolutely.

When dancing to something that's pretty fast, keep it simple, and keep it small. By small, I mean, take smaller steps and less body movement (for those who do any of that).

Also, remember that you can always 1/2time the music. I'm pretty sure that we've talked about this before on the forum, but don't have time to go look it up. If a track is around 180bpm or above, you can dance every other beat (or every 4th beat if you want to be really technical), and you're then dancing at 90bpm. Which you probably wouldn't want to do for the whole song, but can be used to give you rests at strategic points (when you're too knackered to continue).

Another thing you can do, is make more of the breaks. Most of the really fast tracks that are played have pretty good breaks. Which you can use to get quite a few beats rest - especially if you're dancing with someone who can also use the breaks well.

And lastly, when I want to dance to a fast track, I'll look for someone who I know can keep up. The last thing that you want to do is ask a beginner for a really fast track. Could put them off for life!

Steve

Gadget
16th-July-2003, 11:49 AM
Good points...

Originally posted by TheTramp
When dancing to something that's pretty fast, keep it simple, and keep it small.
I was advised to dance 'tighter' for more control and a better lead but I also find it very hard to constrain moves with fast music; since the moves are faster, the spins are quicker, catches sharper, etc. - the dynamics involved are greater.
Perhaps my particular 'style'* does not lend it's self to faster music - I need to develop a different way of dancing for this sort of song. {*when I say "style" I really mean the flailing of arms and legs}
I also tend to do very few barriers, stops, push-spins and moves that 'break' the flow of a dance - On thinking a bit more, perhaps I should reverse this trend for the higher BPM tracks? Thoughts?

Also, remember that you can always 1/2time the music.
Only if your partner is also dancing half-time, unless I want to completely dominate the dance. Although I admit that there are sections and various moves that I slow down to half-time for a bit of a breather :grin:

Another thing you can do, is make more of the breaks.
Again I find it a lot harder to catch the breaks in time for faster tracks - I end up just 'creating' a break every now & again and just faking it as if the music fits perfectly. :sorry:

And lastly, when I want to dance to a fast track, I'll look for someone who I know can keep up. The last thing that you want to do is ask a beginner for a really fast track.
I really don't think keeping up was as much a problem for my partner as it was for me!!
As to beginners - if you are careful; leading the transitions between moves in half/quarter time, and the occasional body of the move to the faster tempo; then it gives the ladies a chance to actually follow instead of just being flung around.

{BTW I liked the music last night- heard one comment that there was too much slow stuff :what:, and I did notice a lack of 'modern' tracks:wink:, but all in all an excellent night of dancing :D:D:D}

[Quote]Origionally posted by Alfie
I've also found that many experienced ladies are quite happy to dance beginner moves to any type of music as long as they are danced with accuracy and a bit of style and flair.
..aaaah: that's where I'm going wrong! :wink: Actually, sarcasm aside, I think that it's the style and flair that make the move - not the complexity or tangled knot of arms. :waycool:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-July-2003, 01:27 PM
I end up just 'creating' a break every now & again and just faking it as if the music fits perfectly. :sorry:

aaah i thought you meant the music did fit at first - but even if you do put in a fake break its still down to your interpretation so whos to say you're wrong :).

I used to prefer dancing to faster music it suited my style, however since I met my current partner my style has changed and my favourite fast tracks like 'mambo no 5' and 'she bangs' are no longer my favourites and i now struggle to dance to them. (fitness maybe has something to do with that too though :) )

DavidB
16th-July-2003, 03:03 PM
I usually sit down for the fast songs - I'm getting old!

But if I have no option, I keep it small - short arms, lots of closed-hold moves etc. I don't just do simple moves, but I try to keep my leads well defined, and without any subtlety.

I do a lot of 'barrier' moves to slower music, but not as many when it gets fast. I try to keep the lady's momentum going - I thing that constantly redirecting her must get tiring.

I also do a lot of 'East Coast Swing'-style rock-steps after returns etc when it gets really fast. It just gives both of us a fraction longer to get settled.

But sitting down is still easier...

Dreadful Scathe
16th-July-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
But sitting down is still easier...

remember David, "you're only as old as the woman you feel"

:D

Chicklet
16th-July-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
remember David, "you're only as old as the woman you feel"
:D
But maybee DAvid's point is that he can feel them just as well sitting down??? :blush:

TheTramp
17th-July-2003, 11:10 AM
Good points...
{BTW I liked the music last night- heard one comment that there was too much slow stuff :what:, and I did notice a lack of 'modern' tracks:wink:, but all in all an excellent night of dancing :D:D:D}Can talk to you about the fast dancing thing next Tuesday if you want. I don't have time to answer all of what you said right now (am about to move into a flat in Dundee. Yay. :D).

Regarding the music. Will be still trying to work out exactly what sort of thing Aberdeen people like over the next few weeks. Just so that I can play a lot of old and slow stuff and chase them all away :wink:

Most of the tracks I played on Tuesday were released fairly recently. Even the swing stuff was mostly all 'new' swing (Swingerhead, Indigo Swing, The Swing Session are all 1990's onwards). If anyone wants to discuss the music played though (or make a request), please direct them to me. If I don't know what people are asking for, then I can't play it (if it's appropriate for dancing).

Steve

Sheepman
17th-July-2003, 11:34 AM
I also tend to do very few barriers, stops, push-spins and moves that 'break' the flow of a dance - On thinking a bit more, perhaps I should reverse this trend for the higher BPM tracks?
I agree with David, keep the barriers for the slower stuff, as it is harder to be subtle to a fast track, you need to flow with the momentum rather than break it.
One thing that Nigel often says about dancing to fast music is that you should lighten the lead, not make it stronger which is the usual temptation, difficult, but this does go along with making the moves tighter. He also advises slowing down a move by putting some extra steps in, e.g. in a first move after you swing the lady out to your side, step in close - facing each other, swing back out, in, out, etc. until you regain your compsure.

He teaches this sort of stuff with music at around 200bpm plus! (Mambo no. 5 is 174.)

Greg

Gadget
17th-July-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
I agree with David, keep the barriers for the slower stuff, as it is harder to be subtle to a fast track, you need to flow with the momentum rather than break it.
I found that putting these 'stop' moves in is one sure way to slow the momentum of the lady from accelerating too far. It's also a not very subtle way to start a 'break' since I find subtle leads get lost in the malstrom.

One thing that Nigel often says about dancing to fast music is that you should lighten the lead, not make it stronger which is the usual temptation, difficult, but this does go along with making the moves tighter.
I'm not sure that I understand the concept of 'lightening the lead' properly; you can't have a really strong lead to dance to fast music, otherwise one or other of you would end up with renched shoulders and arms - a very light lead will be too light to direct where you want the lady to go and she will end up leading you. :confused:

He also advises slowing down a move by putting some extra steps in, e.g. in a first move after you swing the lady out to your side, step in close - facing each other, swing back out, in, out, etc. until you regain your compsure.
Similar, but I sometimes 'bounce' moves for two or three repetitions just because it gives me time to work out what to do next rather than any 'slowing down' or 'style' tactic.

One thing that I think makes all the difference in fast moves is accurate body position - I wish I could get it right; I'm either too close and bumping/treding on toes or too far away and catching straight armed...:sick: practice I suppose :sad:

Sandy
17th-July-2003, 04:21 PM
Most of the tracks I played on Tuesday were released fairly recently. Steve

Steve what was the 2nd last track you played on Tuesday, something about a car?? Adam played it at the Sunday workshop recently to demonstrating breaks. It's a fabulous track but don't know what it's called???

Sandy:cheers:

Sheepman
17th-July-2003, 05:59 PM
you can't have a really strong lead to dance to fast music, otherwise one or other of you would end up with renched shoulders and arms
I think this is probably Nigel's point, but many guys don't get it. He is emphasising that you should be conscious of not getting too heavy.

Greg

TheTramp
18th-July-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Sandy
Steve what was the 2nd last track you played on Tuesday, something about a car?? Adam played it at the Sunday workshop recently to demonstrating breaks. It's a fabulous track but don't know what it's called???

Sandy:cheers: It's called 'Fire' by Des'ree and Babyface. And as discussed in another thread somewhere, it's probably my current favourite track to dance to.

Now that I'm DJing on Saturday at the Aberdeen party, you'll probably have to put up with it sometime then.

But I do promise not to overplay it.

Got some tracks planned for playing on Saturday that you've almost certainly not heard before. I hope that you (all) enjoy them :D

Steve

xSalsa_Angelx
18th-July-2003, 01:01 PM
Sounds good steve, will see you there then,

my dance partner is not going :tears:
my boyfriend is coming along, but not the easiest of people to dance with, depends how much cider he has thrown down his neck :rofl:

Should be a good night,..!!!

Graham
18th-July-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
my boyfriend is coming along, but not the easiest of people to dance with, depends how much cider he has thrown down his neck :rofl: I'm sure Steve can cope with anyone....... :wink:

Sandy
18th-July-2003, 03:42 PM
It's called 'Fire' by Des'ree and Babyface. And as discussed in another thread somewhere, it's probably my current favourite track to dance to.

Now that I'm DJing on Saturday at the Aberdeen party, you'll probably have to put up with it sometime then.

Steve

Oh brilliant, can't get enough of it!:devil:

Sandy

cerocmetro
23rd-July-2003, 10:07 AM
Steve what are you doing??

i will not recognise the place when I come up in August, I was looking forward to 007 theme music and the wombles? loads of breaks, usually to the bar. :cheers:

Franck I love your music :wink:

The trouble is with great tracks like Fire, we will over play them and then they make you want to reach for the extinguisher.

See you soon Steve

Adam

Sandy
23rd-July-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by cerocmetro

The trouble is with great tracks like Fire, we will over play them and then they make you want to reach for the extinguisher.

Adam

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: oh my god, someone with worse jokes than me!

Take the point though! But Steve, please play this track for a bit longer at least as I LOVE it:grin:

Sandy :wink:

Stuart M
23rd-July-2003, 11:05 AM

Hey, I though the "Things you never hear at a Ceroc night" thread finished ages ago...:D

Just kidding Franck :na:

Keeping the moves simple is definitely the thing for fast tracks - although not every simple move is necessarily a good fast move. Half-windmill is supposedly a basic move, but not really advisable for Mambo No 5.

Another thing which helps is doing more movement as the lead, would anyone agree? I think if the guy positions himself correctly for the lady when she comes out of spins/returns, instead of relying on her to spot, it makes things a lot easier for all.

cerocmetro
23rd-July-2003, 11:11 AM
Have you tried using a net?

Adam

Stuart M
23rd-July-2003, 11:27 AM
Have you tried using a net?

Adam
Ah, I guess you've seen my dancing then...

Gadget
23rd-July-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
Another thing which helps is doing more movement as the lead, would anyone agree? I think if the guy positions himself correctly for the lady when she comes out of spins/returns, instead of relying on her to spot, it makes things a lot easier for all.
Why only do that for fast moves/music?? I try and do that for every dance - it makes for much smoother transitions. (Although if you move too far, the lady looses you and you've lost that gliding movement as she trys to find you again.)

cerocmetro
23rd-July-2003, 12:26 PM
One of the tricks for fast dancing is for the men to try and keep the ladies on the spot. Give the illusion of both moving by the men doing the running, the ladies have a hard enough time trying to turn and spin. I see so many times ladies becoming completely confused by the men throwing them around and expecting them to stay orientated. No way dudes

Keep it simple.

Use slowing down techniques and be sensible, not spin after spin. after a big spin, let the lady rest, lean, break, some shimmy kind of move, or just give her a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Adam

Sal
23rd-July-2003, 01:11 PM
or just give her a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Oh, now that's my kind of move! Make it a chocolate biscuit, and I will be a very happy woman!

TheTramp
23rd-July-2003, 01:54 PM
Steve what are you doing??

i will not recognise the place when I come up in August, I was looking forward to 007 theme music and the wombles? loads of breaks, usually to the bar. :cheers:

See you soon Steve

Adam Adam. I'm having fun :D

And I won't overplay even tracks like Fire. Turned down the request I had for it last night (since I played it last Tuesday and also on Saturday). It might get played again in a week or two though :wink:

See you on the 16th. Looking forward to it.

Have a good trip up...

Steve

PS. Like Franck's music?? That's taking it a bit far, isn't it?

Franck
23rd-July-2003, 02:28 PM
PS. Like Franck's music?? That's taking it a bit far, isn't it? Oi! you two, enough of that :wink: I stand by my music choices, and innovative thinking! :D

Re. fast music, I agree with Adam, move less, pay attention to your partner etc...
Alternatively, I like DavidB's suggestion, sit down and have a drink :wink:

Something nobody has mentioned so far (I think), is to actually dance faster, taking a leaf out of lindy or Jumpin' Jive, with body more horizontal, knees bent, more kicks and a good balance of tension between the two (fit) dancers... If you have the stamina, that style of dancing can be huge fun (Lorna and I had a fab dance last Saturday) , though of course, you still have to pick moves that work for faster music and pace yourself.

Franck.

P.S. Excellent set on Saturday Mr Tramp! :D :cheers: :waycool:

CJ
23rd-July-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Franck
I stand by my music choice,

Franck, I absolutely agree.

After all, there's no bloody way of dancing to it.:D

Franck
23rd-July-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
Franck, I absolutely agree.

After all, there's no bloody way of dancing to it.:D :rofl:
Aaaargh... that really hurts CJ :nice:

and as you well know, I rarely just stand... I'll dance to anything, even my own music :D

Franck.

xSalsa_Angelx
23rd-July-2003, 03:39 PM
I'll just stick my tupence worth in aswell then, I prefer to dance to the fast tracks, I like to bounce about on the dance floor.

Can't dance slow songs, but maybe cos am just a beginner, but I do prefer music you can move to..!!!! No matter which type of dancing I do, whether its Ceroc, Pole dancing etc...

Steve had an excellent variation of dance tracks on saturday night and last night. Keep it up steve..!! :D :cheers:

cerocmetro
23rd-July-2003, 03:44 PM
pole dancing?

:yum:

cerocmetro
23rd-July-2003, 03:47 PM
Hold on, slow down, STOP!!

Stevey baby, I thought you were banned from Ceroc??

Adam
:really:[COLOR=red]

CJ
23rd-July-2003, 03:52 PM

Adam
:really:[COLOR=red]

He IS!! It's his bald, fat, ugly twin who CAN dance that's here...:D

xSalsa_Angelx
23rd-July-2003, 04:06 PM
pole dancing?

:yum:
Yep Adam, Not actually tried it properly but would give it a good go, there is a club up here in Aberdeen called the Cotton Club, they have pole dancing competions at the weekend, Prize is £100 ... quite tempted to give it a go..!!!! :D :innocent:

cerocmetro
23rd-July-2003, 04:08 PM
let me be your trainer, please
:yum: :yum: :yum:

xSalsa_Angelx
23rd-July-2003, 04:17 PM
let me be your trainer, please
:yum: :yum: :yum:
Yeah ok sorted :wink:
show me some UCP moves next time your up and then you have a deal :yum: :D

cerocmetro
23rd-July-2003, 04:22 PM
how easy was that
:waycool:

16th August at the Perth thingy

I think I'm doing something there then a workshop or two on sunday.

Adam

xSalsa_Angelx
23rd-July-2003, 04:25 PM
how easy was that
:waycool:

16th August at the Perth thingy

I think I'm doing something there then a workshop or two on sunday.

Adam

I'm Sure going to try and get down to the Perth doo..!!!
sounds like it will be fun, a ceroc addict like me, needs to travel around a bit more..!!!

TheTramp
26th-July-2003, 01:06 AM

Adam
:really:[COLOR=red] Nah. Not any more. And I was never banned by the enlightened people anyhow :D

(I remember the big smile you had on your face the first time I saw you after the email about the ban had come out).

So sorry. You'll have to put up with seeing me at Perth. And dancing to the things I play too, since it appears that I'll be DJing there.

Steve

PS. Thank you Miss Angel and Mr Franck for your nice comments on my efforts so far.... :hug:

michael
26th-July-2003, 09:20 AM
;) Here's me thinking i must look a right idiot trying to dance my few moves to a fast tune as a beginner, only to find you expert guys are finding fast music limits your moves severely. Rather liked the "spinning like a drill" remark by Alfie.

Does that mean us beginners should be asking the DJ to play plenty of fast music (we wont look so bad then?)

Looks like this forum is going to help me progress more quickly as some of the threads are great pointers to building up your learning curves. I bet there are plenty of ceroc dancers who think a forum is a waste of time? Pity they are missing out then:wink:

cerocmetro
26th-July-2003, 09:50 AM
Nah. Not any more. And I was never banned by the enlightened people anyhow :D

(I remember the big smile you had on your face the first time I saw you after the email about the ban had come out).

I always have a smile when I see you.:D

Looking foward to Perth. Might have a bit of a surprise for you I am working on with Franck.

Adam

Chicklet
26th-July-2003, 09:52 AM
Welcome to the Forum Michael!!

yes it's a great place for swapping ideas, finding out what's going on on a wider scene than just your local Ceroc class, top technical and musical tips and most of all IMHO widening your circle of dance buddies, male and female, to give you loads of options and people to dance and chat with at dos and beyond!

Of course it's most important function is to provide a mechanism to throw one liners and insults at each other instead of working thru the day LOL.

But beware and be afraid...it's HIGHLY addictive!!

C:cheers:

TheTramp
26th-July-2003, 10:01 AM
I always have a smile when I see you.:D

Looking foward to Perth. Might have a bit of a surprise for you I am working on with Franck.

Adam Should I be afraid??? :sick:

Steve

cerocmetro
26th-July-2003, 10:31 AM
Always be afraid, be very afraid :devil:

Adam

TheTramp
26th-July-2003, 10:41 AM
Always be afraid, be very afraid :devil:

Adam *shivers*

Steve

Tiggerbabe
26th-July-2003, 12:39 PM
Are you bringing you new avatar with you Adam? He's soooooooo cute :drool:

cerocmetro
26th-July-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
Are you bringing you new avatar with you Adam? He's soooooooo cute :drool:

Do I lapse into cutey wootey talk? :sick:

Sheena will you be at the perth dance and are you coming to my workshop?

Adam

TheTramp
26th-July-2003, 02:56 PM
Do I lapse into cutey wootey talk? :sick:Probably. Just like normal :na:

Adam She'd better be at the dance. She's doing a cabaret with me there :rolleyes:

And knowing Sheena, she'll probably be at the workshops too....

Steve

Gadget
27th-July-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by michael
I bet there are plenty of ceroc dancers who think a forum is a waste of time? Pity they are missing out then:wink:
Hey, there are plenty of dancers in here who know this forum is a waste of time !!! :wink:

welcome aboard.:waycool:

Jon
27th-July-2003, 05:36 PM
The only trouble with really fast songs is that I find beginners tend to ask me to dance to them.

I was the same as a beginner, I hated slow songs because I couldn't dance slow and the faster a song the more you appear to be moving. But now I love dancing slow with anyone and a fast song is great too but only with an experienced dancer since leading a beginner is really hard work.

Bill
28th-July-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Jon
The only trouble with really fast songs is that I find beginners tend to ask me to dance to them.

and most people know me well enough to leave me alone when the fast songs come on :rolleyes:

Like DavidB I prefer the slower songs and yes.... as should be fairly obvious - there's only so many moves you can do when it's really fast ! You still see men trying to do long complicated moves or putting women into endless spins and returns which is fine for the man but hell for most women :sick:

But as the Tramp also said, men can listen for a half beat and slow the moves down ( as Adsam also indicated in his workshop). The reason I tend to stop when there's a break in a fast song is simply to catch my breath :D :wink:

frodo
28th-July-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Micheal

Does that mean us beginners should be asking the DJ to play plenty of fast music (we wont look so bad then?)

Seems a good idea to me .:)

Besides isn't health benefits due to activity one of the advertised benefits of Modern Jive.

A fast song is going to do an awful lot more for you than a succession of sub 30 mpm songs
( especially if running around the lady as Ceroc Metro and Stuart M suggest).

Chicklet
28th-July-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Bill
and most people know me well enough to leave me alone when the fast songs come on :rolleyes:

hmmmmm is it not that most of the people who know you well enought think that dancing a fast song with you is something of a waste??????:devil:
C:D

Bill
30th-July-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
hmmmmm is it not that most of the people who know you well enought think that dancing a fast song with you is something of a waste??????:devil:

or then again if it's fast it hides my mistakes and gets the dance over with quickly :blush: :D It is difficult to 'play' with the music when it's fast - unless there are obvious breaks or changes ( and time to catch my breath !)

Fran
31st-July-2003, 12:24 AM

No Chicklet, its not a waste. (despite what the man says :wink: )

fran :nice:

Tiggerbabe
31st-July-2003, 12:41 AM

Adam

Yes, I'll be there Adam and I'll definitely be at your workshop - after the last one I can hardly wait :wink: :hug:

Chicklet
31st-July-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Fran
No Chicklet, its not a waste. (despite what the man says :wink: )
fran :nice:

Completely agree Fran, and have a couple of good Marcos memories to back it up!! We certainly shook our tail feathers with the best of them at Lana's night!:D

Sandy
1st-August-2003, 02:06 PM
Yes, I'll be there Adam and I'll definitely be at your workshop - after the last one I can hardly wait :wink: :hug:

ooooooh so jealous of you going to the workshop and whole Perth event:tears: I can't believe I am going to miss out on this:tears: The last workshop was oh so fab an oh so UCP that I can only wonder what the next one will be like! Please someone show me the moves at the first Tuesday class after the weekend or the next party, PLEASE!

Have a great time

Sandy:wink:

Stubob
4th-August-2003, 10:47 AM
I prefer to dance to faster music (more of a challenge). Footwork is important, body position, staying close to your partner and not spining her too much. Dancing patterns rather than individual moves means that I don't use the same moves over and over and over and over again.

Stuart

DavidB
4th-August-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Stubob
I prefer to dance to faster music (more of a challenge). Footwork is important, body position ... .
This is interesting - I prefer dancing to slower music for almost exactly the same reasons, except...
staying close to your partner and not spining her too muchI do try to stay close when the music is fast. But that doesn't mean I always try to get more separation to slower music - I just have more choice with what I do.

Spinning the lady depends on the lady - I know several who love it, and several who hate it. But I think you are right - I will lead more spins to slower music.

Dancing patterns rather than individual moves means that I don't use the same moves over and over and over and over again.Not quite sure what you mean by a 'move' and a 'pattern'???

David

Chicklet
6th-August-2003, 12:26 PM

Adam

Just out of curiosity - how many people recognise that this is in fact a *swoon* Springsteen song???:D

Tiggerbabe
6th-August-2003, 12:35 PM
Just out of curiosity - how many people recognise that this is in fact a *swoon* Springsteen song???:D

Not me Chickie - but then he never made me swoon :sick:

Fran
6th-August-2003, 12:44 PM
Not me Chickie - but then he never made me swoon :sick:

sorry to any fans but I have to agree with you Sheena. I have often felt quite alone on this one.

fran

Aleks
6th-August-2003, 12:45 PM
sorry to any fans but I have to agree with you Sheena. I have often felt quite alone on this one.

fran

"We are not alone".

Chicklet
6th-August-2003, 12:53 PM
:rofl: sorry girls didn't explain that properly, it's not him as a manthing that makes me swoon, infact wouldn't have him ina lucky bag (as one of my collegues has just said about someone completely different!!!) but some of the arrangements of his very very early stuff (73/74/75) with piano solos and the like....and he was / is a damn fine songwriter!

Fran
6th-August-2003, 12:59 PM
:rofl: sorry girls didn't explain that properly, it's not him as a manthing that makes me swoon, infact wouldn't have him ina lucky bag (as one of my collegues has just said about someone completely different!!!) but some of the arrangements of his very very early stuff (73/74/75) with piano solos and the like....and he was / is a damn fine songwriter!

ahh!! thats more like it:wink:

I really dont enjoy critisising people but Unfortunatley he always reminded me of a constapated duck when he was moving about on stage :what:

still we are all different and thats what make the world interesting.
fran:wink:

Grant
6th-August-2003, 01:22 PM
he always reminded me of a constapated duck when he was moving about on stage :what:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
how unkind fran :wink:
i didn't like some of his early songs when he seemed to mumble his way through, but i thought 'Fire' was one of his better efforts :nice:

Grant

Tiggerbabe
6th-August-2003, 01:31 PM
Funny isn't it - I always thought *I* was the only one. :D

I do agree, with Chicklet, about some of the earlier stuff though, and my friend, (who admittedly is totally besotted with him) says he is one of the finest showmen you could ever hope to see - his concerts being fantastic. :waycool:

And you're right Fran - would be a very boring old world if everyone's taste was the same :wink:

Grant
6th-August-2003, 02:16 PM
And you're right Fran - would be a very boring old world if everyone's taste was the same :wink:
so, is it ok to like robbie williams music...
whilst still thinking he acts like a total prat? :wink:

Grant

Stubob
6th-August-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

Not quite sure what you mean by a 'move' and a 'pattern'???

David

Hi Dave,

When dancing to fast music I use patterns of moves that I have prepared and that link naturally together. I find doing this rather than planning the next move whilst dancing allows me to concentrate on footwork, body position and floorspace.

When dancing to fast music I am always aware that I shouldn't execute a move which requires the lady to be on the opposite foot from the one which she is currently on. I find linking pre-prepared patterns of moves helps avoid this.

Stuart

Fran
6th-August-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Grant
so, is it ok to like robbie williams music...
whilst still thinking he acts like a total prat? :wink:

Grant

yep:wink: :nice:

well maybe we all have a pratish side to us ( some perhaps more than others :confused: I think Robbie is a mixed up wee soul. -
mind you not sure what my excuse is when I act like one! :really:

fran:cheers:

Grant
7th-August-2003, 02:40 PM
mind you not sure what my excuse is when I act like one! :really:
fran
now that i am not going to believe :what:

Grant

Fran
8th-August-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Grant
now that i am not going to believe :what:

Grant

ahh :o what a gentleman, thank you :hug:

MartinHarper
8th-November-2004, 01:23 AM
So, people apparently don't like jiving to live bands because they're too fast, but I reckon jiving to fast music is both doable and fun. One tip I haven't seen mentioned yet is that a dance to slow music is a walk, but a dance to fast music should be a jog. You need to get lower, bend the knees, keep your weight forward, stay off your heels, and use your arms more. It looks more energetic, but it's actually less tiring that way.

Whitebeard
8th-November-2004, 02:44 AM
One tip I haven't seen mentioned yet is that a dance to slow music is a walk, but a dance to fast music should be a jog. You need to get lower, bend the knees, keep your weight forward, stay off your heels, and use your arms more. It looks more energetic, but it's actually less tiring that way.

Not so sure about this. Walking is good for you , but a bit on the boring side. With slow music surely there's time to use the body in a very deliberate and controlled way, bending those knees with precision, prowling around in a slinky, sexy, supple, feline manner; the pleasure is playing with your partner as a cat toys with a mouse.

The tempo rises and becomes a gallop. The body stiffens and the movements become more stacatto, snappier and more instinctive, no time for elaboration, the posture, if anything, more upright and tense; the enjoyment is in the sheer adrenalin fuelled excitement of it all.

DavidB
8th-November-2004, 03:02 AM
The tempo rises and becomes a gallop.There is of course the option of doing nothing, but doing it quicker.

Whitebeard
8th-November-2004, 03:07 AM
There is of course the option of doing nothing, but doing it quicker.
Variety is the spice of life !!!

Dan
11th-November-2004, 02:30 PM
There is of course the option of doing nothing, but doing it quicker.

:rofl:

Don't give away all your secrets David.

MartinHarper
6th-April-2005, 11:54 AM
One thing that puzzles me a little is the assertion that there's more time (to do X) with slower music. In a three minute track, surely there's three minutes of time available, regardless of the tempo?

Gadget
6th-April-2005, 12:19 PM
BPM? You have lots more beats (hence counts) in a faster track and they are closer together therefore less time to perform the moves.

MartinHarper
19th-September-2006, 12:33 AM
Going back to the original question:

My repertoire is reduced when I dance to a tempo that I don't dance to as often. Case in point was the 60 bpm track I danced to at Kidderminster Pulse (or maybe it just felt like that). I tried this and that, but very little I knew worked well at that speed.

I guess the difference is that if I don't know enough moves to suit a low tempo song, throwing in some moves that suit mid-tempo songs will look and feel horrible, but is at least possible. Faster songs are more punishing if your repertoire of suitable moves isn't up to scratch.

whitetiger1518
19th-September-2006, 09:30 AM
I don't know about the slower tracks - whatever moves I have been lead into felt fine to me at the time...
For the faster tracks some of the guys leading me slowed it down to half speed rather than forcing me into a pace that felt uncomfortable...
The slower dancing to a fast track felt more personal. and the leads also came across as very music and partner aware, translating the tempo of the music into a comfortable tempo for me, without ruining the mood..

Cheers
Whitetiger

Mr Cool
19th-September-2006, 10:16 AM
Dancing to fast music can be a lot of fun:clap: I think it adds a new diamension to youre dancing when you learn how.
It gives you so much more time when you revert to slow music:wink:
like everything in dance it gets better with practice it helps if you can dance swing, if it gets real fast Balboa is a very usefull style its easy to learn to :cheers:
:waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

Gadget
20th-September-2006, 12:17 AM
Going back to the original question:...
That was over 3 years ago: both my repertoir and my style have improved (or I hope that it's an improvement :what: )

I still find faster music more challenging, but I now don't try to dance to the whole thing at break-neck speed: only the choruses and repetative bits where I try and find a good 'theme' move to hurtle through - the rest of it i may use fast 'styling' points (where only a little bit of you needs to move at that speed- not the whole body) or contrasting half speed movements. I also dance closer and 'sharper' with a lot more pauses and walks.

I have found that the better I get, the more efficient (lazy) I can get with my dancing, I can change to dance with lots of energy, or dance with the minimum of effort. (depending on the track and partner ;))