PDA

View Full Version : Developing separate styles

David Bailey
16th-March-2007, 12:30 PM
Do people think that it's possible to develop separate styles for different tempos / dances?

Or do you think you have one single style, which influences you no matter how you dance?

Lee Bartholomew
16th-March-2007, 12:41 PM
I would like to think I have a wide range of styles that suit different types of music.

It's pointless dancing to a Gotham project track if your style is street and Tango if their playing Akon (though sometimes it works).

I think people that do stick with one style (and there are alot that do) could really benifit from trying something different.

Trouble
16th-March-2007, 12:41 PM
Do people think that it's possible to develop separate styles for different tempos / dances?

Or do you think you have one single style, which influences you no matter how you dance?

one style for MJ, different style for Salsa, Salsa much more flamboyant and hippy.!!

Lee Bartholomew
16th-March-2007, 12:44 PM
one style for MJ, different style for Salsa, Salsa much more flamboyant and hippy.!!

But no good for dancing to "nine to five".

Trouble
16th-March-2007, 12:47 PM
But no good for dancing to "nine to five".

nine to give, i should be so lucky try 6 - 9 !!!!

Gav
16th-March-2007, 12:49 PM

My biggest problem is that each of my legs has a style of its own. :sick:

Gotham project

Is that Batman's favourite music? :na:

Freya
16th-March-2007, 12:58 PM

I think the answer to both questions is yes!!!! IMOFI it's not as black and white as that.

I think that most people will have a natural style which will show through regardless of what their dancing! i.e. Princess Fi's Wiggly Hips! :rolleyes: However they will adapt it to suit different styles of dance, tempos, music and partners.

I will adapt how I dance to suit the music and my partner. However I hope however and whatever style I dance I would hope that Something that is uniquely me will influence it no matter what!

Lynn
16th-March-2007, 01:23 PM

Or do you think you have one single style, which influences you no matter how you dance?Surely different dances have their own styles anyway and so you adapt to dance them. Eg you don't wiggle your salsa hips in AT. ( :wink: )

Last night I was trying to describe the look and feel of WCS to someone after a cha cha class. I found it really difficult with cha cha music playing as I wanted to do cha cha triples with hips, instead of WCS triples. So for me, the music playing informs my style for the dance.

But at the same time a personal style has a strong influence as well. Several dancers struggled with a 'funky' move at Ceroc this week because they just don't do funky - it clashed with their personal style.

I think your personal style is also partly what draws you to different dance styles - so you will be attracted to dances that suit your preferred style.

CJ
16th-March-2007, 01:44 PM

I think, within the confines of your own dancing, it's very easy to assimilate different dance styles for different music.

Similarly, women dance differently in heels than when in trainers.

To different tempi, styles of music: in a good dancer, gait would change, moves selected would change and degree of smoothness/ "funkiness" would change.

Caro
16th-March-2007, 01:56 PM
I think the answer to both questions is yes!!!! IMOFI it's not as black and white as that.

and

Surely different dances have their own styles anyway and so you adapt to dance them. Eg you don't wiggle your salsa hips in AT. ( :wink: )

:yeah:

AFAIC, even if the music can be drastically different in MJ, although I'll adapt my style (if you can call it that :na: ) a little (or try to) I'd tend to be constrained my what my 'core style' is for MJ.

With different dances, I think that my style can be fairly similar in MJ / WCS, whereas if I dance AT it won't at all (or so I hope :rolleyes: ). So that'd be an example where style can be completely different (and it starts with the shoes (heels), as CJ said).

Groovemeister
16th-March-2007, 02:28 PM
My style seems to constantly change at the moment due to how many influences I have. I think I can alter it to the music and certainly move wise I do.

I find that I do have an ability to watch people, video's etc. and pick up the different nuances of general dance style and add them in to my overall movement.

I do have my basic style which I hope still comes through at whatever tempo, style of music I dance to. We all have our own way of things in whatever we do.

It is difficult overall though and I know particurly when you are learning new styles they have a big influence on your overall stlye i.e. stepping on the ball of the foot rather than the heel, moving hips etc.

I also know that if I do other dance styles regurly then they end up being the prominent part of my overall dancing style.

Lynn
16th-March-2007, 03:29 PM
With different dances, I think that my style can be fairly similar in MJ / WCS, whereas if I dance AT it won't at all (or so I hope :rolleyes: ). So that'd be an example where style can be completely different (and it starts with the shoes (heels), as CJ said).I was wearing a dress and shoes with heels on Sat night at Storm. I tried to WCS - and found it so difficult (I changed to trousers and lower heels). Likewise I would really struggle to do AT in dance trainers. I spent some time last night deciding what dance shoes would suit cha cha. Dance shoes are important, to me at least, in relation to what style I want to dance.

Do we/should we adapt our style to suit our partner? I don't think I do most of the time unless its relevant to the music. So when I've had a 'bouncy' lead to a smooth blues track, I've stayed smooth. There are some leads I love dancing with because our styles compliment each other. There are other leads whose style is really different from mine, but who nudge my style along different paths which is great fun. Therefore its fairly important to me what sort of music I dance to with certain partners.

Ghost
16th-March-2007, 05:43 PM

Yup - if my hair's tied back I dance in a more Jedi calm style. If it's down - think more Wolverine :wink:

Likewise I can vary the degree of intricacy of a dance tremendously - a few weeks ago I did a very slow Jangoy dance - volcadas, ganchos etc. Followed by a much faster Ceroc dance with the same person.

Obviously the amount of play, sabotage, hijacking is a definite variable too.

Step Ceroc (and which foot) or not

Dancing to the beat vs dancing to the music

How much space is available - I've been known to lead running the length of the floor is it's empty. No tsomethgin I'd try ona crowded floor though.

And then there's manhatten dances where we just chat :) either to catch up, or because they're tired, having an off-night etc.

I think certain moves lend themselve better to certain styles, so by dancing a "set" of moves I can dance in a specific style. The obvious example is fast dancing. Ages ago people commented that the faster you dance the less moves you can do.

MartinHarper
16th-March-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't think my style varies that much from song to song/dance to dance/partner to partner. I wish it did, but I catch myself using the same moves to such wildly different situations that I don't think it can be.

So when I've had a 'bouncy' lead to a smooth blues track, I've stayed smooth.

Bad follower! No cookie!

Tiggerbabe
16th-March-2007, 06:10 PM
Bad follower! No cookie!
Hate it when that happens :tears:

Ghost
16th-March-2007, 06:20 PM
Bad follower! No cookie!

Hate it when that happens :tears:
I've given out Maltezers :yum:

Alice
16th-March-2007, 06:25 PM
Do we/should we adapt our style to suit our partner? I don't think I do most of the time unless its relevant to the music. So when I've had a 'bouncy' lead to a smooth blues track, I've stayed smooth.
I've tried to do that, but it never seems to work. I think I just try to isolate my hand/arm so they can bounce it but hopefully it won't impact too much on the rest of my body. If I'm getting really fed up with a bouncer I sometimestry to beat them at their own game and bounce *even more* than they do- but it never lasts for long. Don't think they'd understand what I was trying to do anyway:devil:

besides, that would be mean:innocent:

Tiggerbabe
16th-March-2007, 06:26 PM
I've given out Maltezers :yum:
What are they? :innocent:

StokeBloke
16th-March-2007, 07:06 PM
Its strange, when TB dances with one particular guy who has quite a forceful style of lead, I can tell if she dances with me next. I try to keep my lead light and smooth and I can feel the extra resistance in her when I dance with her. Does anyone else have this experience of dancing with someone often and feeling a change in their lead or follow depending on who they have just danced with?

Lynn
16th-March-2007, 07:56 PM
Bad follower! No cookie!Well hopefully that means they won't ask me again. :devil:

Sorry but there are styles that I'm not good at and would feel uncomfortable trying to do, in those cases I'll maintain my own style.

And as per my last comment, things like fighting against the music, dancing wildly off time, being yanked about to smooth music - if I don't try and at least keep some consistency with the music then I just have a truly miserable dance. I guess that does make me a bad follower. But if I'm not enjoying the dance then my partner won't be either - and there are other followers they would probably have a fab dance with.

Sorry, if I'm sounding a bit harsh, I've just had too many rough leads and too many injuries recently.

I've tried to do that, but it never seems to work. I think I just try to isolate my hand/arm so they can bounce it but hopefully it won't impact too much on the rest of my body.Yep, I think that's what I do. Messes with following I guess, but its instinctive. But I think we are wandering into other realms here.

jivecat
16th-March-2007, 08:38 PM
Bad follower! No cookie!

You didn't want a cookie anyway, did you, Lynn? Resist, resist, it's our only form of defence.

ducasi
16th-March-2007, 08:52 PM
In slow songs, I use a slower style. In fast songs, I use a faster style. My selection of moves have to change in order to fit with the music.

In funky songs, I think I adopt a funkier style. In smooth songs, I think I adopt a smoother style.

All that said, I wouldn't actually say that my style varies a great deal, more that a different emphasis is expressed according to the music.

Several times on this forum it has been asserted that while people say that their style changes depending on the music, when it comes to actually watching people dance to different music on video with the sound turned down, it's rarely possible to identify the style of music they are dancing to.

I very much agree with this analysis.

Lynn
16th-March-2007, 08:53 PM
You didn't want a cookie anyway, did you, Lynn? Resist, resist, it's our only form of defence.Definitely not. I need to watch my figure (too many coffee break goodies at work).

Funnily enough I was told for not letting someone lead recently. By lead meaning pull my left arm out of my socket (they'd already done it to my right arm.) Oddly enough I was trying to avoid the experience. Such a bad follower, I think I'll take up tap dancing instead.

jivecat
16th-March-2007, 09:05 PM
Definitely not. I need to watch my figure (too many coffee break goodies at work).

Funnily enough I was told for not letting someone lead recently. By lead meaning pull my left arm out of my socket (they'd already done it to my right arm.) Oddly enough I was trying to avoid the experience. Such a bad follower, I think I'll take up tap dancing instead.

:rofl: Careful now, your little steel toecap might just accidentally make firm and decisive contact with MartinHarpers's shin as you skip merrily past.

MartinHarper
17th-March-2007, 02:18 AM
:rofl: Careful now, your little steel toecap might just accidentally make firm and decisive contact with MartinHarpers's shin as you skip merrily past.

What, is my index-finger-length-related (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/11882-new-way-select-dancer-partner.html) masculine dominance not making me wildly attractive?

Bah. Serves me right for taking dating advice from scientists.

Lynn
17th-March-2007, 02:27 AM
I'm just grumpy tonight because I have a sore shoulder and had to miss AT.

Hmm, steel caps on my shoes could come in handy next time someone tries to remove my arm...

Trying to get back on top before DJ does the splits...

So if someone should adapt their style to their partners should this always be the follower adapting to the lead, or should the lead adapt to the follower?

Lory
17th-March-2007, 10:21 AM
I was wearing a dress and shoes with heels on Sat night at Storm. I tried to WCS - and found it so difficult (I changed to trousers and lower heels).

:yeah: WCS has RUINED my choice of clothes for dancing :sad:

I'm sure the shoes and clothes,(as well as the music) have a definite influence on my dance style...

I can't get funky in a dress, it just feels 'odd' :sick: but with Cha Cha and Tango it feels right! :clap: Luckily my MJ isn't affected, as much!:grin:

LMC
17th-March-2007, 11:30 AM
Think Freya and Lynn said most of it :respect:

My style in MJ is definitely different from (but has been affected by) the little bits of ballroom and AT that I've done.

Even so, nearly two years in, I'm still not sure I've got a defined style - sometimes I think it's because I naturally have all the elegance, grace and co-ordination of a hippo in a tub of custard, but when I'm feeling more positive I pretend it's because I'm adaptable :D Although, if my partner's style is very different from mine then they have to be a *very good* lead for me to be able to feel confident enough to join in - e.g. I know I'm not good at funky (wish I was, it looks great) - but given the right track and a good lead I sometimes find myself moving in ways I didn't think were possible :blush:

I try to be smooth - except when I bounce along because the lead's hand is bouncing (I'm just following :innocent: - go ahead Alice, it burns loads of calories and it's hilarious when they ask you *** you are playing at :rofl: :devil: ). Mostly I'm a bad follower and wouldn't get a cookie either though.

Clothes and shoes definitely affect my dancing. I know I can't lead in heels - it just doesn't feel right. I'm better at funky/fast if I'm wearing jazz shoes (less likelihood of falling over :rofl: ).

Lynn
17th-March-2007, 01:36 PM
I can't get funky in a dress, it just feels 'odd' :sick: but with Cha Cha and Tango it feels right! :clap: Luckily my MJ isn't affected, as much!:grin:Absolutely. I'm now going to get really confused and need several changes of wardrobe at Southport where I can get to do AT, MJ and WCS all in the same evening!

I think my wardrobe problem at Storm was further complicated by the fact that I'd had a fantastic evening of AT in the same outfit the week before. I just wanted to do AT type style and was trying to WCS - one dance and I went and changed!

I can't really do funky in that it isn't part of my natural style, but as its part of WCS to the right music, I'm going to work on improving it.

Wardrobe issues aside, I absolutely love the fact that AT and WCS give me the opportunity to work on developing different styles and that I can bring elements of both into my MJ with the right partner and music. All part of the rich tapestry of dance for me. (Yep, in a better mood this morning!)

Gadget
19th-March-2007, 02:49 PM
I try to dance differently to different styles,... actually I think I only have a few variations on my dancing 'style':

Fast and energetic Quite a lot of open moves and traveling, swapping places a lot, quick feet, perhaps a bit more 'reaching' and bent forward. perhaps a poor parody of Lindy. {bloody hard work! partner has to be able to match it (or me match them :innocent: )}

Fast and smooth A few quick moves, lots of walks and keeping my partner close. {Basically using walks etc to recover from bursts of energy;)}

Normal Some moves and walks and stuff - normal for me.

Dominating Firmer lead, play with timing, try to do some footwork, use poses and drama points within the music... normally to tango-esque type tunes.

Slow and smooth Nice and relaxed, adding in more styling and fluid dips, a bit more expressive than normal.

Blues Blues basic and blues reverse with some timeing variations and wrapping/stalking/carressing moves. Using whole body to lead, enveloping my partner... {:sigh: I like this style, but only for those who are up for 'playing' ;)}

I like all of the above, but I like the contrast between them as well. And of course it depends on my partner how subtle or obscure my leads are. :devil:

{Edit: hmmm... more than I thought. :what::cool:}

Little Minx
19th-March-2007, 03:22 PM
So when I've had a 'bouncy' lead to a smooth blues track, I've stayed smooth.

It has taken me a while to 'smooth' out my dance style and appreciate some of the benefits that go with this, so for me I do resist the urge to bounce particularly to slower tempo bluesy tracks. It is still possible to be energetic and enthusiastic to faster up beat tracks without having to leap up and down all the time:clap: Have to say though to be fair if I cant keep the smooth going because of a strong bouncy lead then I will just go with the flow, afterall its about both enjoying the dance and if its their style then who am I to try and change it - it is a hobby afterall!:nice:

Freya
19th-March-2007, 04:16 PM
Fast and energetic Quite a lot of open moves and traveling, swapping places a lot, quick feet, perhaps a bit more 'reaching' and bent forward. perhaps a poor parody of Lindy. {bloody hard work! partner has to be able to match it (or me match them :innocent: )}Fun tho! but I think we'd get shot if we did that at a Lindy night! :really:

And of course it depends on my partner how subtle or obscure my leads are. :devil:Obscure is the word!!!! :whistle:

Beowulf
19th-March-2007, 04:36 PM
Personally I have one style and I use it for everything.

I dance Pete.

For fast tracks I dance Quick Pete, Slower I dance Slow Pete, then there's other flavours of Pete I chop and change depending on the music. UCPete (:rolleyes:) , Blues Peter (:rolleyes:) and when I'm tired I Peter out. (:rolleyes:)

David Bailey
19th-March-2007, 05:07 PM
, Blues Peter (:rolleyes:)
Is that the style where you ask dancers to phone in their preferences and then dance with someone else, ignoring them? :grin: