PDA

View Full Version : "That bloke over there looks like Mike Ellard"

Lost Leader
16th-March-2007, 10:10 AM
My partner said this to me at the start of last night's regular Ceroc night at Rugby. On looking at said bloke I thought yes, it does look like him but somehow smaller than I remember and anyway, it can't be him can it?. A few minutes later I was dancing with Rachel who said "You do know Mike Ellard is here don't you?".

I must admit it was a bit of a shock - I mean Mike Ellard, Ceroc head honcho, here in Rugby, omg. what can this mean :confused: ? Do "the 10" have their secret headquarters right here in the midlands?

Anyway he certainly seemed to enjoy himself and was rarely off the dance floor.

Mike, if you're reading this it was good to see you on the "factory floor" (though the floor ar Rugby is rather better than your average factory). I really hope you had a good night and either you have lost weight or you simply look smaller when not up on a stage.

.....Mike Ellard.....yes, it was really him.

Tiggerbabe
16th-March-2007, 10:16 AM
.....Mike Ellard.....yes, it was really him.
I'm at a loss as to why this should amaze you. Mike often travels to venues all over the country (he's even been to Scotland more than once :eek: )
And every time I've seen him, he's been on the dancefloor all night :respect:

drathzel
16th-March-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm at a loss as to why this should amaze you. Mike often travels to venues all over the country (he's even been to Scotland more than once :eek: )

:yeah:

we have had him in northern ireland about 9 months ago and people still talk about him and ask when he is coming back! Especially two ladies at my bangor class that tortured him!

Trouble
16th-March-2007, 10:25 AM
who? :what:

TurboTomato
16th-March-2007, 10:44 AM

Yep, he was at the East Grinstead opening night which is a very small venue in comparison to most!

SeriouslyAddicted nearly fell over when he asked her to dance straight after the lesson :na:

He does seem a hands-on sort of guy, and good on him.

Mary
16th-March-2007, 10:54 AM
I think Mike often 'drops in' on venues around the country. That's because he is a very pro-active head honcho and all credit to him as I think he is very hard working and puts a lot into his business (but then it is his business so why wouldn't he?) :respect: :respect:

I guess it's good to keep venues on their toes (get the pun? :rolleyes: ) by knowing the 'boss' could be dropping by at any time. :wink:

M

Gav
16th-March-2007, 11:00 AM
I thought everyone knew...

Mike Ellard isn't a real person, he was just a marketing tool invented by the ten.
They created their first "Mike" in a lab using all their best attributes and since then they've been sending out "Mike" and his clones to keep tabs on all the venues. :devil:

Lee Bartholomew
16th-March-2007, 11:16 AM
All credit to Mike though

At the last few Cambers I have been to, I have seen him always working the floor and even handing out water and thanking people for comming on the Monday Morning. Always seems to make time to talk to people too.

David Bailey
16th-March-2007, 11:18 AM
I think Mike often 'drops in' on venues around the country. That's because he is a very pro-active head honcho and all credit to him as I think he is very hard working and puts a lot into his business
We should have a "Spot the Mike" competition, or a "report your Mike Ellard sightings here" thread :)

(Bit like Elvis spotting I reckon)

I guess it's good to keep venues on their toes (get the pun? :rolleyes: ) by knowing the 'boss' could be dropping by at any time. :wink:
So, what you're saying is, he rules by fear and intimidation? :devil:

Mary
16th-March-2007, 11:26 AM
So, what your saying is, he rules by fear and intimidation? :devil:

:rofl:

Well, isn't that the way to world domination?:D

M

David Bailey
16th-March-2007, 11:40 AM
:rofl:

Well, isn't that the way to world domination?:D

M
:D
We should do a Ceroc-specific version of the Evil Overlord list (http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html)...

robd
16th-March-2007, 12:04 PM
There was another thread like this a while back when he came to Bedford. He came to Cambridge a while back too and worked the floor all night. Whether his partners enjoyed the 'challenge' of dancing with him is another matter........

David Bailey
16th-March-2007, 12:12 PM
There was another thread like this a while back when he came to Bedford. He came to Cambridge a while back too and worked the floor all night. Whether his partners enjoyed the 'challenge' of dancing with him is another matter........
That's a bit harsh - Mike's a great dancer, and very good (mostly) at adapting to his partners - certainly he's got bags of experience dancing with beginners.

robd
16th-March-2007, 12:17 PM
That's a bit harsh - Mike's a great dancer, and very good (mostly) at adapting to his partners - certainly he's got bags of experience dancing with beginners.

Just reporting (obtusely) on the feedback I had from a number of people (at different levels of experience actually) from dancing with him. I don't doubt he is a very good dancer and it would be very easy for him to adopt the big 'I Am' attitude and not work the floor so props for that but I suspect his style is such that it's so different to the majority of ceroc leaders at yer average night that it's a bit of a shock to the follower's system.

David Bailey
16th-March-2007, 12:22 PM
I suspect his style is such that it's so different to the majority of ceroc leaders at yer average night that it's a bit of a shock to the follower's system.
Fair enough :rofl:

Double Trouble
16th-March-2007, 01:05 PM
who? :what:

:yeah: :rofl: :yeah:

I've refused him a dance....whatever.:D

Daisy Chain
16th-March-2007, 01:19 PM
If Mike Ellard is who I think he is. I believe that he is Sid Kipper's identical twin brother :blush:

I'll get me coat.

Daisy

(A Gullible Little Flower)

Twirly
16th-March-2007, 01:37 PM
Am going to stick my neck out here… :what:

I’ve been in a class taught by Mike Ellard and danced with him (well, had half a dance as he asked me halfway through, but didn’t carry on with the next track as most people seem to). It was at the Casbah, beginning of January last year, so I’d only been dancing about 6 months, and had no idea who he was. However the class still stands out as one of the worst taught classes I’ve ever been to. He rushed through the moves, and most of the leads didn’t seem to be getting them, and it should have been pretty evident that there was general confusion. Most people were fairly disgruntled. Maybe teaching isn’t his strength, or maybe he was having a bad night.

I can also remember the dance, not only for it’s brevity, but because it wasn’t very good – I was still very nervous about dancing with good dancers at the time, and although he was quite clearly an extremely good dancer, I didn’t find his lead clear and easy to follow. And neither did my friend who danced with him immediately afterwards.

Having said that, I’ve seen him around and about since (though never danced with him again), and am quite impressed with his hands-on approach to the business and get the general impression of someone passionate about their business – and that it’s a lot more than just a business to him. :respect:

DavidY
16th-March-2007, 01:42 PM
.....Mike Ellard.....yes, it was really him.Last night at Rugby we had a new teacher (Kelly) doing the Beginners class, and Marc doing Intermediates. So what with 2 Ceroc Teachers, 2 demos, 3 taxis, and Mike himself, I've never seen a floor so comprehensively "worked" as during that 1st freestyle session. :wink: :rofl:

It's a bit more nerve-wracking when the boss comes into the Beginners' refresher class (fortunately only the last 10 minutes) and I was the lucky taxi-dancer who was taking it. :eek:

And I've seen Mike at Rugby before - complete with baby - so it wasn't that long ago.

DavidY
16th-March-2007, 01:44 PM
Do "the 10" have their secret headquarters right here in the midlands? Didn't you know that? :confused:

Twirly
16th-March-2007, 01:48 PM
I thought everyone knew...

Mike Ellard isn't a real person, he was just a marketing tool invented by the ten.
They created their first "Mike" in a lab using all their best attributes and since then they've been sending out "Mike" and his clones to keep tabs on all the venues. :devil:

and Mike itself,

:confused: Is he actually an android? :wink:

DavidY
16th-March-2007, 01:55 PM
:confused: Is he actually an android? :wink:*Writes out 100 times.. "I must not post in a hurry"*

under par
16th-March-2007, 02:20 PM
certainly he's got bags of experience dancing with beginners.
Well he does go to ceroc venues!!:wink:

ducasi
16th-March-2007, 02:39 PM
No disrespect to the man, but I wouldn't know him from Adam if he was dancing next to me.

It's only right though that he should visit different venues across the country as much as possible.

Ephraim
16th-March-2007, 02:47 PM
If Mike Ellard is who I think he is. I believe that he is Sid Kipper's identical twin brother :blush:

Speaking of brothers, I wouldn't let Mike Ellard's brother into the blues room Friday night at Bliss last september. It went something like this,

Me: "Can I see your wrist band please?"

Ellard v2: "I haven't got one..." (tries to wander past)

Me: "Look, I'm sorry, but if you haven't got one I can't let you in"

E v2: "I'm just looking for Mike..." (peering past me into the room)

Me: "And I really can't let you in without a wrist band"

E v2: "I'm just having a look for Mike"

Me: "Seriously, you need a wrist band"

At that point my somewhat larger security partner joined in, and together we were a pain in the arse to Mike Ellard's brother.

Look, I didn't know who he was (and I'd never seen Mike Ellard before), I was there to check wrist bands and he didn't have one. I was just doing what I was told.

:sick:

Tiggerbabe
16th-March-2007, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't know him from Adam if he was dancing next to me.
He's taller :innocent:

under par
16th-March-2007, 03:01 PM

who adam??

SeriouslyAddicted
16th-March-2007, 03:08 PM
Whether his partners enjoyed the 'challenge' of dancing with him is another matter........

FWIW I really enjoyed the dance with him and he was very patient giving that I am still relatively new to dancing. He evenhad the good manners to say that he enjoyed the dance. I don't care if it was true or not it boosted my confidence.

Tiggerbabe
16th-March-2007, 03:09 PM
funny, UP, v v funny :na:

David Bailey
16th-March-2007, 03:15 PM
I’ve been in a class taught by Mike Ellard and danced with him (well, had half a dance as he asked me halfway through, but didn’t carry on with the next track as most people seem to). It was at the Casbah, beginning of January last year, so I’d only been dancing about 6 months, and had no idea who he was. However the class still stands out as one of the worst taught classes I’ve ever been to. He rushed through the moves, and most of the leads didn’t seem to be getting them, and it should have been pretty evident that there was general confusion.
Interesting - and unusual.

I learnt at Mike's classes for several years, and at that time I reckon he was the best Ceroc teacher around - Viktor was better to look at, but Mike was the better communicator.

Most people were fairly disgruntled.
Well, to be fair, you were at the Casbah, they're all miserable there :rofl:

Maybe teaching isn’t his strength, or maybe he was having a bad night.
Almost certainly the latter, I'd imagine.

David Bailey
16th-March-2007, 03:17 PM
Do "the 10" have their secret headquarters right here in the midlands?
Mike doesn't believe in the Ten. :sad:

But that's OK, they don't believe in him either. :innocent:

Twirly
16th-March-2007, 03:20 PM
Interesting - and unusual.

I learnt at Mike's classes for several years, and at that time I reckon he was the best Ceroc teacher around - Viktor was better to look at, but Mike was the better communicator.

Almost certainly the latter, I'd imagine.

I did think it a bit odd, when I later found out who he was. Does he teach much these days? Maybe he was rusty?

David Bailey
16th-March-2007, 03:27 PM
I did think it a bit odd, when I later found out who he was. Does he teach much these days? Maybe he was rusty?
Less than he did, of course, but he's a semi-regular at the Casbah at least I believe.

Interesting - and it only just occurred to me now - that Ceroc.com (unlike other dance sites) don't tell you who teaches where...

ducasi
16th-March-2007, 03:45 PM
Interesting - and it only just occurred to me now - that Ceroc.com (unlike other dance sites) don't tell you who teaches where...
Are you surprised? In Ceroc's view of the world every teacher, every DJ and every venue is the same. Do McDonald's publicise the names of their Chefs?

David Bailey
16th-March-2007, 03:53 PM
Are you surprised? In Ceroc's view of the world every teacher, every DJ and every venue is the same.
True - but they do publicize teacher names at weekenders, at workshops and at special events like UTOPIA. Is this just bowing to conventional pressure, or is this a sign of change to come?

I wonder if a "who teaches where" list would be useful...

Gav
16th-March-2007, 03:55 PM
True - but they do publicize teacher names at weekenders, at workshops and at special events like UTOPIA. Is this just bowing to conventional pressure, or is this a sign of change to come?

Only if you know or care who those people are.

I could tell you where Gemma's going to be teaching if you like? :flower:

Twirly
16th-March-2007, 04:27 PM

I remembered seeing something on the London site - see here (http://www.ceroclondon.com/teachers.htm) Somewhat incomplete though!

Interesting little bio of Mike E there too :wink:

David Bailey
16th-March-2007, 04:38 PM
I remembered seeing something on the London site - see here (http://www.ceroclondon.com/teachers.htm) Somewhat incomplete though!

Interesting little bio of Mike E there too :wink:
Blimey, that's an old pic - gotta be at least a couple of years ago. Strange how he looks weird without the goatee now... :)

Ah, so that's who Richard Oliver is... Is it me, or does he look a bit like Simon Borland? (cue clone jokes)

(I notice Simon's still down as "crew" on the Ceroc London website (http://www.ceroclondon.com/crew3.htm) :rofl: )

Good links :clap:

fletch
16th-March-2007, 04:47 PM
Do "the 10" have their secret headquarters right here in the midlands?

they might :eek: do you know who they are :confused: :wink:

Mike doesn't believe in the Ten. :sad:

But that's OK, they don't believe in him either. :innocent:

how do you know the 10 don't belive in him :na:

IMO Mike Ellard has it completely right, with every thing I have seen him do since I have been on the dance scene, that doesn't mean I won't support the other independents, but he is a 'spot on' business man.:worthy:

He is very approachable and I first danced with him over 2 years ago at Stoke:clap: I had only been dancing 6 months, I had a wonderful dance with him and he made me laugh. Good fun :D

The thing that did it for me was when he was stood in the rain at Storm last year, in the morning handing out water, saying 'I hope you enjoyed it have a safe journey' :respect: to do that the man is a god in my book. :worthy:

Tessalicious
16th-March-2007, 04:51 PM
Blimey, that's an old pic - gotta be at least a couple of years ago. Strange how he looks weird without the goatee now... :)Ancient - when did Jo start teaching? She's been around for ages, surely?
Ah, so that's who Richard Oliver is... Is it me, or does he look a bit like Simon Borland? (cue clone jokes)Er, it's just you. Seriously, take that back, or the Ceroc police will be on you like a shot.

David Bailey
16th-March-2007, 04:59 PM
Ancient - when did Jo start teaching? She's been around for ages, surely?
You're making me feel old now (not too difficult, admittedly) - I remember her starting dancing :tears:
I guess Jo's been teaching about, oooh, 4 years now?

Jo's nice... :love:

Er, it's just you. Seriously, take that back, or the Ceroc police will be on you like a shot.
Seriously, I've been on the run from them for years now :na:

But for some reason, I thought R.O. was a blond - I've no idea where that impression came from, the working of what I laughingly call my brain are a mystery :confused:

cerocmetro
17th-March-2007, 04:55 PM

:rofl: :eek:

lindyloo
20th-March-2007, 03:18 PM
Speaking of brothers, I wouldn't let Mike Ellard's brother into the blues room Friday night at Bliss last september. It went something like this,

:sick:

Just to let you know, Mike has 3 sisters but no brother:really:

Lory
20th-March-2007, 03:23 PM

:eek: An imposter!

I bet it was Barry :rofl:

Gav
20th-March-2007, 03:25 PM

Strange name for a girl? :D

Lory
20th-March-2007, 03:30 PM
Strange name for a girl? :D

:confused:

David Bailey
20th-March-2007, 03:54 PM

That's who I assumed it was too :wink:

fletch
20th-March-2007, 04:00 PM

the only way of knowing for sure, is ...........did any one ask him to dance :wink:

bum! bum! :rofl:

Ephraim
20th-March-2007, 06:27 PM

What the dickens?

David Bailey
20th-March-2007, 08:56 PM
What the dickens?
So, basically, there's a guy wandering around pretending to be Mike's brother?
All I can say is :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dorothy
1st-April-2007, 03:34 PM
Who is Mike Ellard anyway?

bigdjiver
1st-April-2007, 05:55 PM
Who is Mike Ellard anyway?AFIK He owns & runs Ceroc. He runs a franchise in London, and I believe he still teaches.

jinski
1st-April-2007, 06:30 PM
I’ve been in a class taught by Mike Ellard and danced with him (well, had half a dance as he asked me halfway through, but didn’t carry on with the next track as most people seem to). It was at the Casbah, beginning of January last year, so I’d only been dancing about 6 months, and had no idea who he was. However the class still stands out as one of the worst taught classes I’ve ever been to. He rushed through the moves, and most of the leads didn’t seem to be getting them, and it should have been pretty evident that there was general confusion. Most people were fairly disgruntled. Maybe teaching isn’t his strength, or maybe he was having a bad night.

I was in a class at Fulham a few years ago when I'd no idea who he was and it is still one of the worst classes I have ever been in!:sick:

Since then I have found him unapproachable on the dance floor and have only ever had a half dance so I can't comment about his lead:confused:

However he was (eventually) very helpful at Storm after the car incident so maybe I've just caught him on bad days:what:

Minnie M
1st-April-2007, 06:40 PM

Mr.lindyloo :whistle:

Degodier
2nd-April-2007, 11:08 PM

Oi! We are NOT miserable at the Casbah!!! :grin: We are packed with a much younger than average, fun loving, hip and trendy bunch..... and that's just the crew.....!

I've been taxiing at the Casbah for a year or two and Mike used to teach regularly. Not so much since the baby came along which is understandable- he has had to learn a whole new bunch of moves like 'avoiding the projectile vomit' and 'the runny nappy run'.

When he comes he is always genuine, funny and a good teacher, too. He works the floor, dances with everyone and tried to make sure everyone comes back. Good business dynamic for sure, but he also appears to be sincere!

As for dancing with him, I have, from when I was a beginner up to recently at a weekender. He is always fun- but puts me through my paces which I love. He didn't do that when I was a beginner, so in my humble opinion he is the best type of lead- fits it to his partner.

Come to the Casbah and I'll make sure you're very happy DJ :wink:

Twirly
3rd-April-2007, 10:12 AM
Come to the Casbah and I'll make sure you're very happy DJ :wink:

:what: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I'd love to know how you plan on making DJ happy... do you realise what a challenge you've set yourself?! :devil:

FoxyFunkster
4th-April-2007, 08:42 AM

Mike Ellard was the chap who walked in and sat down half through my teachers audition last sunday!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: no pressure there then.....

Astro
5th-April-2007, 01:47 PM
Mike Ellard was the chap who walked in and sat down half through my teachers audition last sunday!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: no pressure there then.....

He must have liked your style.
Congrats. on being selected.:clap: :clap: :clap: