PDA

View Full Version : New way to select a dancer partner

Twirly
14th-March-2007, 06:15 PM
Ladies, when a man comes to ask you to dance, look at his hands. If he’s got an index finger shorter than his ring finger, grab hold and don’t let go!

According to this article (http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2006/12/mens-dancing-style-determined-in-womb.html)on the British Psychological Society website there is a correlation between the length of a man’s index finger relative to his ring finger and how good a dancer he will be perceived as being…

(pauses whilst all the men rush off to check their hands and either jump for joy or put their dance shoes up for sale on e-bay)

… the relative length of the fingers is due to exposure to testosterone in the womb. So apparently it's your mother’s fault if you can't dance. :rolleyes:

Sheepman
14th-March-2007, 06:34 PM
the relative length of the fingers is due to exposure to testosterone in the womb.
And of course this testosterone also affects the size of other parts.

So will the latest cosmetic surgery for men involve ring finger extensions :whistle:

In a study last year, women were asked to feel a selection of men's hands. (They had to feel through a hole, so couldn't see the man) and rate the attractiveness of the man based on what they felt. The results here similarly depended on the relative lengths of the ring finger and index finger.

Greg

MartinHarper
14th-March-2007, 06:35 PM
New research suggests link between testosterone and masculinity. World shocked.

A panel of 104 female judges rated 12 clips of men with the lowest and highest finger-length ratios (2D:4D) for attractiveness, dominance, and masculinity

... but not ability to dance.

Twirly
14th-March-2007, 06:38 PM
Well the men were rated whilst they were dancing, and the pictures were blurred so that features couldn't seen. Therefore the movement was all they had to go on.

fletch
14th-March-2007, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=Twirly;352795]Ladies, when a man comes to ask you to dance, look at his hands. QUOTE]

and what if you find a second thumb :really:

what do you do then :confused:

Gav
14th-March-2007, 06:45 PM

Stop going to Norfolk? :na: :D :whistle:

Sparkles
14th-March-2007, 06:55 PM
Is it true for women too?

MartinHarper
14th-March-2007, 07:05 PM
Is it true for women too?

The correlation between relative finger lengths and pre-birth testosterone exposure has been confirmed for women too.

I don't know of any research that has been done on a link to dancing styles.

Digit ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio)

foxylady
14th-March-2007, 07:06 PM
My index finger is shorter than my ring finger... does that mean too much or too little testosterone ?

JiveLad
14th-March-2007, 07:06 PM
[quote=Twirly;352795]Ladies, when a man comes to ask you to dance, look at his hands. QUOTE]

....or when you are dancing, you encounter a third leg?

MartinHarper
14th-March-2007, 07:12 PM
My index finger is shorter than my ring finger... does that mean too much or too little testosterone ?

According to the theory, that means that your body was exposed to relatively lower levels of female hormones and/or relatively higher levels of male hormones during your mother's pregnancy. It's not a question of "too much" or "too little".

StokeBloke
14th-March-2007, 07:15 PM
I can confirm this theory is 100% true :wink:

Allez-Cat
14th-March-2007, 07:31 PM
So will the latest cosmetic surgery for men involve ring finger extensions :whistle:

Nah. T'other way round, Lad. Have hacksaw, will travel :D

Beowulf
14th-March-2007, 07:34 PM
[quote=fletch;352807]

....or when you are dancing, you encounter a third leg?

I'm Jake the peg.. deeedle deedle dum..??

I'm pretty well balanced so it seems.. not too masculine but not too feminine either.

My index finger is 7.7 cm long whereas my ring finger is 8.0 cm long.

Actually my hands in general are all disproportioned :sick:

Double Trouble
14th-March-2007, 07:40 PM
My index finger is 7.7 cm long whereas my ring finger is 8.0 cm long.

I can't believe you actually measured your fingers:sick:

What else have you measured Beo? And was it longer than 8cm?:D

Shodan
15th-March-2007, 04:12 PM
My ring finger is longer than my index finger. But I'm not that amazing at dancing. :confused:

Thankyou for the compliments though. :flower:

Little Monkey
19th-March-2007, 04:59 PM
My ring finger and my index finger look exactly the same length. Does this mean I'm a well balanced individual?

:what:

:wink:

:rofl:

Thought not.......

StokeBloke
20th-March-2007, 07:11 PM
My ring finger and my index finger look exactly the same length. Does this mean I'm a well balanced individual?

:what:

:wink:

:rofl:

Thought not.......
Possibly, although it would probably be more useful if you had opposable thumbs :D