PDA

View Full Version : This Forum's Server

Shodan
14th-March-2007, 03:52 PM
Just out of pure geeky interest, where is the server for this forum actually physically located?

Who is the service provider for this forum?

What are the annual costs for running this forum? (just the forum itself)

Bizarre questions I know, but I like to release my inner geek every now and then.

Dreadful Scathe
14th-March-2007, 04:15 PM
via Layered Technologies in the US see here (http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.cerocscotland.com) - look at the Layered Tech website for costs - make sure you factor in a fairly large bandwidth per month ;)

As for running costs for the forum itself - its mainly Francks priceless time, after the actual server costs are out of the way. (apart from the vbulletin licence, any other software, the computer itself, electricity...etc...anyway)

David Bailey
14th-March-2007, 04:36 PM
Francks priceless time
I'm sure you meant "really valuable" rather than "without price" :)

Dreadful Scathe
14th-March-2007, 04:38 PM
no i meant "without price" as in "you cannot put a price on it"

..weirdo :)

straycat
14th-March-2007, 05:06 PM
no i meant "without price" as in "you cannot put a price on it"

Why not? I mean - most people should be able to put a price on their time - it's sound business practice...

Lee Bartholomew
14th-March-2007, 05:10 PM
Why not? I mean - most people should be able to put a price on their time - it's sound business practice...

:yeah: Hookers do it all the time.

Dreadful Scathe
14th-March-2007, 05:25 PM
What about prop forwards ?

Ghost
14th-March-2007, 05:25 PM

Yeah how much does a rubgy player charge for maintaining a forum these days? :innocent:

Edit - hmm so my last two posts were basically identical thoughts to Dreadful Scathe - now I've just got to decide if this is a good or a bad thing.

Dreadful Scathe
14th-March-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm sure your thoughts were fairly normal pop into your head type thoughts. Mine sprinted into my head wearing mauve curtains, metal boots, a flower pot hat and sporting half a grape in each ear whilst shouting "Fiddle de dee, penguins for tea".

So, whilst basically similar......

David Bailey
14th-March-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm sure your thoughts were fairly normal pop into your head type thoughts. Mine sprinted into my head wearing mauve curtains, metal boots, a flower pot hat and sporting half a grape in each ear whilst shouting "Fiddle de dee, penguins for tea".

So, whilst basically similar......
Can I say how disappointed I am that DS didn't stop at 6,666 posts? :sad:

Dreadful Scathe
14th-March-2007, 06:08 PM
oh bugger never noticed

although theres nothing particularly important about the number 6,666 other than if i stayed on it i wouldnt be posting at all any more.

aaaah i see :)

Feelingpink
14th-March-2007, 08:10 PM

So, whilst basically similar......Congratulations! You've just won the 2007 "Eddie Izzard Most Bizarre But I Like It" Post Award.

Shodan
15th-March-2007, 04:35 PM
Ahhh.... its good to see a topic start off about one thing and then move onto something completely random after only a few posts. Makes me feel at home. :waycool::D

So looking at that site DS posted (thankyou), the server is based in the US then? Sorry if I sound a bit thick, but to be honest I am when it comes to things like this.

Lee Bartholomew
15th-March-2007, 04:45 PM
Yup. Has been moved to three diffrent hosts, Runs on an appache server with Perl installed (Apache/1.3.37 Unix PHP/5.1.6 ) and you can even see Frankzxsabc's home address so you can steal the washing off his line.

David Bailey
15th-March-2007, 05:25 PM
you can even see Frankzxsabc's home address so you can steal the washing off his line.

It's not exactly a big secret (http://www.cerocscotland.com/contact.htm)...

Lee Bartholomew
15th-March-2007, 05:30 PM
It's not exactly a big secret (http://www.cerocscotland.com/contact.htm)...

Well it wasn't till now.:yum:

erratic-eric
16th-March-2007, 09:51 AM
Yup. Has been moved to three diffrent hosts, Runs on an appache server with Perl installed (Apache/1.3.37 Unix PHP/5.1.6 ) and you can even see Frankzxsabc's home address so you can steal the washing off his line.

I am a little concerned that you would want to steal Franks washing!

David Bailey
16th-March-2007, 09:54 AM
I am a little concerned that you would want to steal Franks washing!
Hey - Franck's got the best washing ever, how dare you imply otherwise! :mad: :na: