PDA

View Full Version : Tag, or Not to Tag?

Norty Nomie
13th-March-2007, 06:22 PM
Just wondered how many of you were intrested!

I have been seeing more and more of it lately and wondering wether or not to put a fun workshop together!

Just wanted some imput!!:nice:

straycat
13th-March-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm afraid I honestly have no idea what you're talking about....

fletch
13th-March-2007, 06:25 PM
I suppose it depends on what fun you mean :confused:

Mikey (Strickly Sinful) is worth looking at :flower:

Freya
13th-March-2007, 06:27 PM
Eh??????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dreadful Scathe
13th-March-2007, 06:31 PM
A Tag is when you sign a signature on something - but i have a feeling you mean something else :confused:

MartinHarper
13th-March-2007, 06:35 PM
Is dance tag related to "stealing"? I ask because of "No, When i ask someone to dance i expect to dance with them!".

Alice
13th-March-2007, 06:37 PM
Tagging is stealing someone else's partner while they are still dancing:devil:
The aim is to do it as smoothly/seamlessly as possible, so as not to interrupt the flow of the dance- when done well the follow only realised she's changed partners when she sees the tagger in front of her.

Lots of fun:)

I do occasionally feel a little miffed if someone "steals" me mid-dance and doesn't ...er... give me back to the original partner (either that track or the next one). It means you don't get a full dance with either party:tears:

Mostly though it's lots of fun. I think lots of people would enjoy a workshop about it- though I dread to think of the chaos that would ensue as they all put their new skills into practice on the dancefloor later on....:whistle:
:wink:

DavidY
13th-March-2007, 06:41 PM
Marc F did a workshop about it at Breeze last year (think he may have done it in Scotland too?)

Trousers
13th-March-2007, 06:49 PM
I'd describe Taggin as swapping partners two or more couples.

Stealing is just stealing

Phil from Chester does this really well (not that many of you lot visit chester but you may know him)

foxylady
13th-March-2007, 06:56 PM
Marc F always does it beautifully !! takes your breath away....

Just changing partners during a dance because some one is calling out that you should (Joseph used to do this at Whetstone ceroc some 5 years ago), can be fun, but isn't as skillful, and sometimes you end up getting all the numpties and, as Alice says, never getting 'that' dance with whomsoever you had chosen/had chosen you....

Frankie_4711
13th-March-2007, 07:05 PM
Marc F did a workshop about it at Breeze last year ...

I didn't do the workshop, but I danced with him later that night in the Blues Room and he put it into practice without me knowing (beforehand) what was going to happen. Have to say it was a bit of a shock at first, but once I got the jist of what was going on, it was quite enjoyable.

Had a bit of a play with it last week with Gentabout and a couple of others - fun!

DD+
13th-March-2007, 07:24 PM
i love it .... its such wicked fun!! we did a tag with 3 couples one night, was a bit chaotic but we all had a good laugh especially because all 6 of us could lead and follow:clap: :clap:

jive_me
13th-March-2007, 07:35 PM
Phil from Chester does this really well (not that many of you lot visit chester but you may know him)

:yeah: If it's the Phil I'm thinking of...he shocked the heck out of me when he decided to 'tag' me at a freestyle once. I'm not very good (didn't even know what tag was until suddenly I wasn't dancing with him anymore) but it was a fab dance :clap:

Definitely like to learn more tag myself.

xXx:flower:

Lynn
13th-March-2007, 07:51 PM
I've played this before - usually early morning blues room type thing and yes, Marc has usually been involved! But recently I've seen it more.

Drathzel did it during the 'extra' track last Sat night and almost everyone ended up with a different partner!

I've also seen more recently two guys sharing a dance with one girl. A few times I've felt a little sorry for the girl as the guys have been so competitive in trying to 'steal'/'keep' the lady that she has seemed to be an accessory to the dance, rather than a participant.

There are times, if I haven't had a dance yet already with someone, that I really don't want to play tag as I'd like the whole dance with the same partner.

David Bailey
13th-March-2007, 07:53 PM
Marc F did a workshop about it at Breeze last year (think he may have done it in Scotland too?)
Yes, he did a very nice demo of this on Sunday - it was very smooth :clap: :worthy:

You see this a bit more in salsa - and I believe, in Zouk?

Personally, it's not my thing, but then I don't like sharing :)

FoxyFunkster
13th-March-2007, 08:05 PM
Just wondered how many of you were intrested!

I have been seeing more and more of it lately and wondering wether or not to put a fun workshop together!

Just wanted some imput!!:nice:

Great idea....anyone who witnessed the tag at 1.30am in the big room at camber recently will tetsify that loads and loads of fun to be had....some seamless change overs and some chaotic ones also....come sunday night we had couples who had been watching joining in......and as most of the guys could do double trouble also it was an awesome memory from the weekender....some amazing shots and a brill video clip were done....we are even thinking of entering in the team event at the champs.........keep an eye out for TeamCerocLondonPartnerexchange:wink:

jivecat
13th-March-2007, 08:42 PM
I don't like tagging. It's not nearly as much fun as proper dancing and you can't really develop any musical interpretation or connection if you are being passed from pillar to post the whole time. Well I can't anyway. It's a great display of a certain type of skill if done well, though.

We used to do something called Rueda in salsa classes which became completely tedious as the teacher used to shout Dame! (the moving -on signal) before you could even catch the beat with your new partner. But I suspect he didn't really teach it all that well, maybe it's good when it works well.

Marc F always does it beautifully !! takes your breath away....

He sure does! But if I get a dance with Marc I want him all to myself just for three minutes.....

Lynn
13th-March-2007, 08:46 PM
He sure does! But if I get a dance with Marc I want him all to myself just for three minutes.....:yeah:

Sheepman
13th-March-2007, 08:57 PM
It can be fun at the right time, but that right time may not be the same time for everyone.
It seems odd to me that it's mostly a late night blues room thing, because surely you're having more intimate dances then?
I recall one occasion a few years ago, late in the blues room, with about 7 girls and 12 guys left, my partner was holding on tight to avoid being tagged, and I wasn't complaining!
So have fun with it, but don't force others to join in.

Greg

Degodier
13th-March-2007, 09:19 PM
I was involved in the double trouble tag at Camber. It was brilliant fun, :grin: and one of the highlights of the weekend for me but I don't think a whole lot of skill was on show, it was more for the laugh. Certainly we all had a fabulous time but I think for a couple of people it was the first time they'd done double trouble and it was due to the expertise and perseverance of a few of the male leads that the whole thing kept going!! :clap: :clap:

You know who you were!:respect:

A workshop would be great as would an 'organised' tag routine, but that would probably defeat the whole object of the steal.

Looking forward to doing it all again soon. Blackpool anyone?:wink:

Gav
13th-March-2007, 10:15 PM
I've played stealing with Double Trouble and Woodface at FunkyLush. DT wasn't in on it, which made it all the more fun!
Then me, DT, Woodface and Ruth played tag at Camber.
Both a lot of fun, but not to be done to unsuspecting couples unless you know them very well. If I was enjoying a nice dance and a complete stranger tried to steal, I wouldn't be too impressed.
However, seeing as I know you Norty Nomie, watch out next time I see you! :D:D:D

Norty Nomie
13th-March-2007, 10:19 PM
Great idea....anyone who witnessed the tag at 1.30am in the big room at camber recently will tetsify that loads and loads of fun to be had....some seamless change overs and some chaotic ones also....come sunday night we had couples who had been watching joining in......and as most of the guys could do double trouble also it was an awesome memory from the weekender....some amazing shots and a brill video clip were done....we are even thinking of entering in the team event at the champs.........keep an eye out for TeamCerocLondonPartnerexchange:wink:

Ye I was also in the big room 1.30am at Camber and have been talking to Spiky Steve and this is where it has come from really.

I want to put a fun workshop together for the weekenders something other than Tango, Blues and the Norm of Lifts and Drops!

I will be there clapping you on for the Champs!

Any suggestions!!:grin:

Norty Nomie
13th-March-2007, 10:22 PM
I've played stealing with Double Trouble and Woodface at FunkyLush. DT wasn't in on it, which made it all the more fun!
Then me, DT, Woodface and Ruth played tag at Camber.
Both a lot of fun, but not to be done to unsuspecting couples unless you know them very well. If I was enjoying a nice dance and a complete stranger tried to steal, I wouldn't be too impressed.
However, seeing as I know you Norty Nomie, watch out next time I see you! :D:D:D

Hay its you!!!

i am not talking about walking over to someone you don't know and stealing their partner. Just with a group of friend and having fun!:wink:

Gav
13th-March-2007, 10:27 PM
Hay its you!!!

i am not talking about walking over to someone you don't know and stealing their partner. Just with a group of friend and having fun!:wink:

Certainly is, and it's a lot of fun. :D

Welcome to the forum, BTW. You'll find tons of useful info., heads up about events/freestyles etc, lots of p1ss-taking and even some fighting if you're lucky. :cheers: :clap: :hug:

Lory
13th-March-2007, 10:37 PM
I was 'tagged' by Marc F and Nigel A at UTOPIA, ooh it was horrible, I hated every second! :whistle: :wink:

Lee Bartholomew
13th-March-2007, 10:45 PM
Me and DT tagged Martin Harper and Jamie when they were dancing together too. Gave us a laugh.

Oh and at With me DT, Gav and Ruth. I grabbed Gav and threw ruth to DT only to over hear "Who's going to lead?" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

WittyBird
13th-March-2007, 11:24 PM
I want to put a fun workshop together for the weekenders something other than Tango, Blues and the Norm of Lifts and Drops!

I suggest you speak to Marc then, there is nobody does it better. They (Marc, Rach, Simon & NIcole) did a lesson at breeze on it.

If you think you're being original then, oops sorry your not. Speak to either of those guys, they're the best.

:clap:

MartinHarper
14th-March-2007, 02:11 AM
I've also seen more recently two guys sharing a dance with one girl.

I got taught this recently at a regular Ceroc weekday class, when we had a number of extra guys. It made for a fun evening.

I find it an enjoyable gimmick dance (cf double trouble (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/9526-demise-double-trouble.html#post275482)). There is a risk of it going horribly horribly wrong - offence being taken, moments being spoiled. Fortunately I know folks who're confident enough in their social and dancing skills to pull it off, so I get to have the fun without taking the risks.

Freya
14th-March-2007, 10:51 AM
It can be lots of fun, If your in a serious mood and having lovely dances then you don't want it spoiled but if your in a silly one and everyone's in on it then it can be great.

At Southport in Febuarysome of us had some great fun in the main room at 4am...Double trouble and partner swapping in various forms.

I had one dance with two guys just throwing me back and forth between them, it was great fun...I loved every minute of it!

As for Partner swapping if you not only can swap partners but switch the lead then it can be hilarious! :wink:

The other time that it's been fantastic is at Kirriemuir where a couple of people started switching then envolved the whole room...Till I got ClaireS who just clung on to me! :awe:

Again if you think it's a new concept it ain't!

killingtime
14th-March-2007, 12:08 PM
I enjoy partner swapping though I've never done it in a larger group than two couples. Had a fab dance with Tiggerbabe, Franck, LittleMonkey at the last Edinburgh party. Mostly The Passion Harem, me a couple of girls who look like they'll be up for it will do it though.

I've also seen more recently two guys sharing a dance with one girl. A few times I've felt a little sorry for the girl as the guys have been so competitive in trying to 'steal'/'keep' the lady that she has seemed to be an accessory to the dance, rather than a participant.

I've done this style once; I'm pretty sure the girl didn't feel like an accessory, saying that Azande joined in to be a forth person so we switched to normal partner swapping.

There are times, if I haven't had a dance yet already with someone, that I really don't want to play tag as I'd like the whole dance with the same partner.

I think that's important to assess. Sometimes I think about doing it with a particular couple of dancers and I'll glance over at them. If they look like they are in the middle of an intimate dance I shan't bother them and get back to focusing on my own dance too.

I love it, as a whole though, I think it is really good fun.

Tiggerbabe
14th-March-2007, 12:17 PM
I enjoy partner swapping though I've never done it in a larger group than two couples. Had a fab dance with Tiggerbabe, Franck, LittleMonkey at the last Edinburgh party.
that was a great dance, best one like that I've had to date :D

Azande joined in
Oh the poor girl :rofl:

I love it, as a whole though, I think it is really good fun.
Agreed, right time, right place, it's great fun :D

Marc did once bring me into a dance he was having with another lady, and I think she really wanted him all to herself :blush:

Lee Bartholomew
14th-March-2007, 12:35 PM
{snip}

Was it you and Jamie me and DT tagged in the COZ at camber? memory like one of those, what they called's?

Freya
14th-March-2007, 01:03 PM
Could some Lovely, fabulous moderator please add an option for "sometimes when appropriate" or something like that! Pretty Pretty Please? :grin: :love: :grin:

Gav
14th-March-2007, 01:17 PM
If you think you're being original then, oops sorry your not. Speak to either of those guys, they're the best.

:clap:

There isn't a lot of workshops for it at weekenders (compared to say WCS, Tango, Blues etc :rolleyes: ) so it could still be a good idea.

And let's not forget that most things are still new ideas in Norfolk! :na: :D

Gadget
14th-March-2007, 01:45 PM
Marc was the one who I learned this from :respect:

I have thought this concept through lots and have another "On-line tutorial" I'm just finishing the graphics for {after some feedback that it would be a lot more understandable with graphics.}

It goes into the main techniques used, gives some examples for each and some guidelines to help anyone wanting to dance this way. If anyone's interested now I can e-mail them it just missing some images. (PM me)

Lynn
14th-March-2007, 02:03 PM
It can be fun at the right time, but that right time may not be the same time for everyone.
It seems odd to me that it's mostly a late night blues room thing, because surely you're having more intimate dances then? :yeah: There are times when I have loved it, great fun. But occasionally I've just been settling into a lovely bluesy, mellow track with someone and I'm whisked away. As KT says, its better if people who want to play assess whether others want to play too before 'stealing' someone's partner.

Lee Bartholomew
14th-March-2007, 02:25 PM
I didn't realise it was such a common thing till i saw this thread.

What gave me the Idea for it at Funky Lush was this clip YouTube - Steal Dance (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ij1dX3VFVps&mode=related&search)

whitetiger1518
14th-March-2007, 02:32 PM
Would love this to be multiple choice as:

No I haven't tried it, and although most of the time I would probably like to have my partner to myself (usually having tracked them across the floor twice :blush: )

I would like to try it with others who want to learn too.

Cheers
Whitetiger

Spiky Steve
14th-March-2007, 02:42 PM
If definately in. I love it. :nice:

A tag is an organised swap.
A steal is a steal. A steal should be returned unless you know the guy really well.

I did the workshop with Marc at Breeze and was involved at Storm at the weekend and stole Marc's partner in the blues room :waycool: before he stole her back.

Some have said that the partners become irrelevant and I wholeheartly disagree. The partners really seem to enjoy the fun aspect especially when swapping within double trouble. For me I also get to interact with the other guys which generally doesn't happen on the dancefloor. The whole thing creates a group environment.

That all said my last dance was stolen on Monday until I managed to steal her back. There is a time and place !!!!

Bring it on
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lory
14th-March-2007, 04:07 PM
The Tag dance that stands out most in my memory, was at Ashtons, to 'Sweet Home Chicago' a track that lasts a long time, maybe 7-8mins?

We had half the room joining in, much to the bemusement of many of the regular punters, who wondered what the hell was going on, when they suddenly found themselves with a new partner!:really: :confused:

I loved it :clap: but there was a downside for one lady....

she reported that she'd waited all night to get a dance with 'blah blah' and then he was stolen :tears:

So, should we devise some form of recognised etiquette?

I think it would be nice gesture, to return to dancing with your original partner for the next dance, if the tagging dance lasts the whole track?

Little Monkey
14th-March-2007, 04:47 PM
It seems odd to me that it's mostly a late night blues room thing, because surely you're having more intimate dances then?

I agree. Sometimes I would be slightly miffed if someone came and stole me away from my partner, especially if it was a partner I'd wanted to dance with all night, and it was one of my favourite tracks... This has happened to me at Southport sometime, and I only got to dance for about 30 seconds with my partner, before being whisked away, and then stolen about 30 secs later again by yet another dancer.... I never got another dance that night with my first partner, and was not happy! Although the tagging was quite fun (one of them was Marc, so I'm not complaining too much!:wink: )

But if you're feeling in the right, playful sort of mood, then it's great!

I enjoy partner swapping though I've never done it in a larger group than two couples. Had a fab dance with Tiggerbabe, Franck, LittleMonkey at the last Edinburgh party.

that was a great dance, best one like that I've had to date :D

That was so much fun! :D
Particularly when it was all of a sudden Sheena and myself, and Franck and Killingtime dancing together.... :rofl:

Little Monkey
14th-March-2007, 04:56 PM
So, should we devise some form of recognised etiquette?

I think it would be nice gesture, to return to dancing with your original partner for the next dance, if the tagging dance lasts the whole track?

:yeah: That would be nice......

Tiggerbabe
14th-March-2007, 04:57 PM
Great idea, Lory, that way no-one gets upset :D

Norty Nomie
14th-March-2007, 06:30 PM
Would love this to be multiple choice as:

No I haven't tried it, and although most of the time I would probably like to have my partner to myself (usually having tracked them across the floor twice :blush: )

I would like to try it with others who want to learn too.

Cheers
Whitetiger

Sorry Hun i don't know how you do that! i only joined the forum last week and struggled to set up the thread in the first place!

Not sure if it can be changed know can it?

As Gav Said every thing is behind the times in Norfolk!!:wink:

Norty Nomie
14th-March-2007, 06:35 PM
There is a difference with tag and steal!

A tag is an organised swap.
A steal is a steal. A steal should be returned unless you know the guy really well.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/ /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Tag is when all parties are willing the guys signal to each other when the swap is to happen so noone is left standing, obviously you can also have steals in tag but by then you already know who is up for the fun and who just want a partner dance!!<?xml:namespace prefix = v /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked= <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = " /><o:p></o:p>
Steal is when only the person stealing knows about it before it happens!<o:p></o:p>
Tag is when all parties are willing the guys signal to each other when the swap is to happen so noone is left standing, obviously you can also have steals in tag but by then you already know who is up for the fun and who just want a partner dance!!<?xml:namespace prefix = v /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 14.25pt; HEIGHT: 14.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="0"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/images/smilies/3.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\NAOMIS\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\03\clip_ image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>

Lynn
14th-March-2007, 08:12 PM
<?xml:namespace prefix = v /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 black? ns=" /><o:p></o:p>
<font color="></v:shapetype><?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
<FONT color=black>Tag is when all parties are willing the guys signal to each other when the swap is to happen so noone is left standing, obviously you can also have steals in tag but by then you already know who is up for the fun and who just want a partner dance!!<v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f"> </v:shapetype>In that case then I've apparently never been involved in a tag dance. Any I've been involved with have started with a steal. Yes, its usually been people who regularly do this sort of thing, but certainly nothing has been discussed, arranged or signalled. In fact the opposite - the leads not only haven't 'signalled' a swap, they've taken great pleasure in sneaking up and stealing a partner!

And as a follower I've never known in advance that this has been going to happen. So even if the leads are aware that they enjoy playing it, they don't check with the followers.

Gav
14th-March-2007, 08:16 PM
In that case then I've apparently never been involved in a tag dance. Any I've been involved with have started with a steal. Yes, its usually been people who regularly do this sort of thing, but certainly nothing has been discussed, arranged or signalled. In fact the opposite - the leads not only haven't 'signalled' a swap, they've taken great pleasure in sneaking up and stealing a partner!

And as a follower I've never known in advance that this has been going to happen. So even if the leads are aware that they enjoy playing it, they don't check with the followers.

When I've done it, I've arranged it with the other lead beforehand as a surprise for the follower. :devil:

Degodier
14th-March-2007, 09:17 PM
So we want two workshops or one with both elements then! One on tagging and one on stealing and etiquette!!

Great. Let's hope the powers that be take note.... and NOT at 9am please.....:grin:

foxylady
14th-March-2007, 10:48 PM

Nice idea ! and we should have some sort of signal to indicate to that 'stranger' we have been partnered with for possibly only a bar or two, "phoar, please can you come and find me later...!"

(oh perhaps thats the tickling their palm with your finger thingy that someone was talking about on another thread)

FL

FoxyFunkster
14th-March-2007, 10:50 PM
Nice idea ! and we should have some sort of signal to indicate to that 'stranger' we have been partnered with for possibly only a bar or two, "phoar, please can you come and find me later...!"

(oh perhaps thats the tickling their palm with your finger thingy that someone was talkimg about on another thread)

FL

your sooo naughty Foxylady......:wink:

Gadget
15th-March-2007, 02:19 PM
This is my take on it:

Etiquette?
A dance is a conversation between two people. If they are deep in conversation and have a strong connection going on between them, it would be rude to interrupt. If they are hesitant about the language and not too confident, it would be confusing and detrimental as well as rude to interrupt.
If you don’t know either dancer or how they would react to you interrupting their conversation; don’t. It is advisable to only partner swap with a lead you have discussed it with first.

~

(Summary)
As a final word of warning, please don't use your new skills to interrupt couples on the floor just because you want a dance with them. And please only use these techniques on people you have discussed it with before hand or know how they will react.

...although I have seen it taught (and 'performed') on a pure brownian motion principle ;)

Normally a wink and nod to someone who knows how to dance like this is enough and a responding nod or shake of the head - in that way the leads know, but the first their partners know of it is when they swap. :devil:

Caz
15th-March-2007, 03:07 PM
Definitely tag.. when everyone up for it... had some wicked tags at SP just gone in the wee small hours in the bouncy room (or should i say main room :whistle: )

Spiky Steve
15th-March-2007, 03:49 PM
Obviously they are going to be good but I don't think they invented it though!!!

I was mesmorised during "Burn the floor" :worthy: well before doing their workshop. Also a good clip during the film "Take the lead". :nice:

:respect:

Spiky

Spiky Steve
15th-March-2007, 03:52 PM
Sunday night? With the FoxyFunkster?

Spiky

Spiky Steve
15th-March-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm new to this and I'm having problems replying to particular messages
:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Trouble
15th-March-2007, 03:58 PM
ive never been tagged so i dont know if i like it or not :tears:

Gav
15th-March-2007, 04:01 PM
ive never been tagged so i dont know if i like it or not :tears:

I'll spray a graffiti logo on your back for you tomorrow. :flower:

Beowulf
15th-March-2007, 04:57 PM
I'll spray a graffiti logo on your back for you tomorrow. :flower:

and here was me thinking you usually just ran around the hall ala Duncan Norvelle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Norvelle) tapping people on the arm saying "Tag! you're it.. chase me!" :wink:

Gav
15th-March-2007, 05:08 PM
and here was me thinking you usually just ran around the hall ala Duncan Norvelle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Norvelle) tapping people on the arm saying "Tag! you're it.. chase me!" :wink:

Damn, I thought I was quite discreet about where I did that. :blush: Where did you see me? :D

Spiky Steve
15th-March-2007, 05:27 PM
It can be lots of fun, If your in a serious mood and having lovely dances then you don't want it spoiled but if your in a silly one and everyone's in on it then it can be great.

At Southport in Febuarysome of us had some great fun in the main room at 4am...Double trouble and partner swapping in various forms.

I had one dance with two guys just throwing me back and forth between them, it was great fun...I loved every minute of it!

As for Partner swapping if you not only can swap partners but switch the lead then it can be hilarious! :wink:

The other time that it's been fantastic is at Kirriemuir where a couple of people started switching then envolved the whole room...Till I got ClaireS who just clung on to me! :awe:

Hmmm,

Having another go. Thanks Lory.

Sunday night at Southport? With the FoxyFunkster?

Spiky
:confused:

drathzel
30th-April-2007, 09:27 AM
I really enjoy tag and if i get taken away from a partner i like then i always go back to them and ask for the rest of the dance when we have stopped playing.

Alternatively its a great way to find new lovely dancers. I once was playing tag with about 7 or 8 couples and hadnt danced with a few of the men. The person who was leading me kept asking, so who havent you danced with yet and swapping me with those people. It was realy good fun.

I often play tag at the "extra" track of the night as its late, people are tired but its fun and everyone comes alive again. I am not very good at it but i play nonetheless.

MartinHarper
7th-August-2007, 09:32 AM
There is a risk of it going horribly horribly wrong - offence being taken, moments being spoiled. Fortunately I know folks who're confident enough in their social and dancing skills to pull it off, so I get to have the fun without taking the risks.

Yeah, I need to take my own advice. For now, I'm filing this along with drops as something to avoid when leading.

Shame: it really is fun when it goes right.

Spiky Steve
7th-August-2007, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I need to take my own advice. For now, I'm filing this along with drops as something to avoid when leading.

Shame: it really is fun when it goes right.

It's a shame you seem to have had a bad one. It happens and you just know to avoid those people in future. A bad experience could just be bumping into someone.

I was exchanging some stories we felt were funny relating to tag/ steal and swap the other day.

Here's one.

I was playing tag with swapping a lady follower with another guy. I had just swapped so was on my own for a few seconds waiting to swap back.

A tap on the shoulder "would you like to dance"

Err .... I'm already dancing playing tag.... but you can join us if you want.

But I only get half of you if we swap.

Err .... but I'm already dancing .... as I said you can join in ...

Fine .... and lady walks off with the hump .....

:confused:

jinski
7th-August-2007, 11:40 PM
I think it would be nice gesture, to return to dancing with your original partner for the next dance, if the tagging dance lasts the whole track?[/quote]

Agreed. There is nothing worse than getting to dance with someone you REALLY enjoy dancing with and have spent all evening tracking down (or even worse building up the courage to ask! :blush: ) only to be removed after a few beats and never returned :angry:

There is a huge difference between tag and steal and the way its done. There is the smooth seemless swap that i experienced at camber when i was passed between Marc F and Raphael :awe: what more could you ask for! :worthy: :D

and then there is the unrefined yank that a few people seem to think is the appropriate way to 'steal' :mad:

Tag is great fun when the leaders know how to swap partners without breaking the move but the pounce and grab approach is irritating in the extreme and plays havoc with the flow of the dance:rolleyes:

So workshops to teach the how and when are a great idea :yeah:

Spiky Steve
8th-August-2007, 12:32 PM
So workshops to teach the how and when are a great idea :yeah:[/quote]
:yeah: to both points

I think a partner should also be returned after a steal or swap and the follower asked whether they want to continue swapping if they were caught unawares.

Caz
8th-August-2007, 01:25 PM
I have to say that Spikey Steve and his friend who were playing tag at Utopia weekender on the Sunday afternoon were brilliant! Fun to watch and looked like they were having such a laugh... I just wanted to join in too and sabotage them all:D

Spiky Steve
12th-August-2007, 12:01 PM
I have to say that Spikey Steve and his friend who were playing tag at Utopia weekender on the Sunday afternoon were brilliant! Fun to watch and looked like they were having such a laugh... I just wanted to join in too and sabotage them all:D

Thanks Caz. You are welcome to join in any time as lead or follow.

Meanwhile here is a great advertisement for tag. A youtube video that I think it involves Lucky Skillen who is teach at Utopia on the 6th of October.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oa3-BeYiAo

:respect: :respect: