PDA

View Full Version : What a lot of people born today....

TheTramp
12th-July-2003, 01:29 AM
Happy birthday Lorna, Deb and Gary.

Hope you all have a great day!!

Steve

Graham
12th-July-2003, 08:53 AM
Yes, Happy Birthday to all! Not many days in the year with more [public] birthdays than this! I suppose by this time the Aussies might not see this today, so hope you had a great one! And hope you have/had a great day too, Lorna!

Alfie
12th-July-2003, 09:50 AM
Happy Birthday Everybody,
I hope you all have super days and spend them enjoying yourselves to the utmost. Happy dancing
Alfie

DavidY
12th-July-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Graham
Yes, Happy Birthday to all! Not many days in the year with more [public] birthdays than this! I suppose by this time the Aussies might not see this today, so hope you had a great one! And hope you have/had a great day too, Lorna! I think someone should some stats about which star signs we all are. For example are dancers (by implication forum members) likely to be Cancer and unlikely to be Aquarius?

Emma
12th-July-2003, 10:48 AM
Happy Birthday all :grin:

Franck
12th-July-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Happy birthday Lorna, Deb and Gary.Indeed :D What a lot of Birthdays...

All the best to all of you, and looking forward to a celebratory drink / dance as appropriate :nice: :cheers:

Franck (only just back from a 2 week holiday and struggling to catch up with everything :wink: )

Graham
12th-July-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
I think someone should some stats about which star signs we all are. For example are dancers (by implication forum members) likely to be Cancer and unlikely to be Aquarius? The most common star sign amongst people who have registered their birthday (52% of members) is Aries, and the least common is Virgo.

Don't you just hate it when someone asks a stupid stats question? :sick: :wink:

Graham
12th-July-2003, 01:23 PM
:wink:

DavidY
12th-July-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Graham
Don't you just hate it when someone asks a stupid stats question? Sorry if I asked a stupid question.:sorry :sorry
(Maybe it's a characteristic of Pisces-types like myself - clearly a bit of a minority round here :wink: )

Thanks for the nice chart, though.

Lou
14th-July-2003, 08:57 AM
Hurrah for Graham for posting the chart & showing that we poor maligned Aquarians aren't least likely to dance (as asserted, with absolutely no proof whatsoever, by naughty DavidY - typical bloody Pisces!) :rolleyes: :wink:

DavidY
14th-July-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Lou
Hurrah for Graham for posting the chart & showing that we poor maligned Aquarians aren't least likely to dance (as asserted, with absolutely no proof whatsoever, by naughty DavidY - typical bloody Pisces!) :rolleyes: :wink: I was more asking a question than trying to assert anything. :sorry
But Graham's obviously cleared it all up with his nice chart.:D

Lindsay
14th-July-2003, 02:37 PM
Interesting Q David.... as an Aquarian I'm a bit skeptical re. Astrology. Ash (forum member) works in this field though... and has a website about all this stuff (relating astrology to dance)- not sure of the link though...

CJ
14th-July-2003, 03:18 PM
But was anyone born YESTERDAY??

Neil
14th-July-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Hurrah for Graham for posting the chart & showing that we poor maligned Aquarians aren't least likely to dance (as asserted, with absolutely no proof whatsoever, by naughty DavidY - typical bloody Pisces!) :rolleyes: :wink:
What the figures can't show is that Aquarians are far and away the best dancers - much better than those pesky Pisceans... ;)

Neil

CJ
14th-July-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Neil
What the figures can't show is that Aquarians are far and away the best dancers - much better than those pesky Pisceans... ;)

Neil

Neil, the figures couldn't possibly show that, as maleable as they are in Graham's hands, because that simply isn't the case.

And, anyway, stop taking the pisce out of those poor fish-faced scaly types.:D

Neil
14th-July-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
And, anyway, stop taking the pisce out of those poor fish-faced scaly types.:D
Quite right, CJ, in these politically correct times I should have shown more respect to our fishy friends.

Interesting also to note that so few Cerocers are Virgos... :wink:

Neil

Chicklet
14th-July-2003, 05:35 PM
Interesting also to note that so few Cerocers are Virgos... :wink:

Neil
hmmmmm, there are one or two of us about around here:innocent:

Dance Demon
14th-July-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
hmmmmm, there are one or two of us about around here:innocent:

Ah yes..and don't they have their annual dance in a phone box in Sauchiehall Street:wink:

DavidY
14th-July-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay
Interesting Q David.... as an Aquarian I'm a bit skeptical re. Astrology. For what it's worth, my view on astrology is as follows.

There are a number of ideas which could be described as astrology - for instance:
1 The idea that a twelfth of the population can read their 'Stars' in the morning paper and this will describe the day they're going to have
2 The idea that exactly when (and possibly where?) you are born can determine your life in detail
3 The idea that when you are born in the year can determine your personality (For example: "Typical Pisces" etc.)

Now I admit to being sceptical about the first two. But the third one interests me, and you could think of science that might make it work - for example suppose the following:
a your personality could be affected by the levels of hormones & other chemicals in your mother's body when you're developing in the womb
b the hormones & other chemicals in your mother's body could be affected by seasonal factors like hours of sunshine, temperature etc.
c therefore a baby born at a particular time of the year may be more likely to be exposed to similar levels of hormones at the same point in its development as other babies born at the same time of year. (Of course this would mean that a Pisces born in the Northern Hemisphere would be similar to a Virgo (6 signs away) in the Southern Hemisphere)

I'm not saying the above is necessarily true (or original - I've seen it published elsewhere) - but it interests me enough to ask stats questions about it from time to time.

There seems to be an interesting effect on Graham's chart for instance, that the two signs either side of Pisces have twice as many forum members as us fishy types - most people would expect roughly level numbers for every sign with a bit of variation as per seasonal changes in birth rate - but you wouldn't expect such a sharp dip and rise between the 3 months. Not sure how statistically significant this is but it does seem odd.

David

Gadget
15th-July-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by DavidY
There seems to be an interesting effect on Graham's chart for instance, that the two signs either side of Pisces have twice as many forum members as us fishy types - most people would expect roughly level numbers for every sign with a bit of variation as per seasonal changes in birth rate - but you wouldn't expect such a sharp dip and rise between the 3 months. Not sure how statistically significant this is but it does seem odd.

You must remember that the graph only shows a selection of the dancing comunity who A) have internet access and B) would be interested in joining the forum: It may be that those star signs are less likley to register with the forum rather than less likley to dance!

Lindsay
15th-July-2003, 09:50 AM
What the figures can't show is that Aquarians are far and away the best dancers - much better than those pesky Pisceans... ;) Neil

Absolutely:wink: there must be research out there to back this up.

Dreadful Scathe
15th-July-2003, 09:54 AM
l

or that Aquarians are most likely to boast about being the best dancers wether they are or not ;)

Next stats need to be on hair colour, height and inner leg measurement - im sure that will tell us much more and we can really build up a picture of the type of person you should be dancing with :).

Dancing aside - Sagittarians will eventually rule the world :)

Neil
15th-July-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
or that Aquarians are most likely to boast about being the best dancers wether they are or not ;)
LOL :)

The fact is that Aquarians are all deeply artistic and sensitive people and therefore need to boast to mask their profound sense of insecurity and existential angst (or is that just me?).

Neil

Lou
15th-July-2003, 11:25 AM
Sagittarians will eventually rule the world :) Yeah... right... when we go into the "Age Of Sagittarius" in about one gazillion years time...
:kiss:

Aquarius rules!

Dreadful Scathe
15th-July-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Lou
Aquarius rules!

You'd think Aquarius was a water sign, but its actually air (the www said so) but it does figure - hot air probably :)

CJ
15th-July-2003, 11:45 AM
LOL :)

The fact is that Aquarians are all deeply artistic and sensitive people and therefore need to boast to mask their profound sense of insecurity and existential angst (or is that just me?).

Neil

We back to ASD, again?!?!?

Oh, aRtisitic.....

Ash
15th-July-2003, 06:28 PM
This is a thread I posted last year...

This is a rough guide to astrology and dancing: you can see the trait that stands out for your sign. They are a general description and won’t apply to everybody.

ARIES They are extrovert or in-your-face. But they are also impatient and impulsive, making mistakes when they learn routines: they don’t always finish what they start. They are also the daredevils of the zodiac, jumping first and thinking later! If you’ve seen Harold Nicholas (of the legendary Nicholas Brothers) dance you’ll see what I mean!

TAURUS This sign, more than any other, can show the extremes of dancing: they can be clumsy and slow or move like Fred Astaire. They’re sensuous nature makes them feel the music (& their partner!) but the resulting rhythm depends upon their ability!

GEMINI They are nimble-footed and agile: they’re very quick around the dance floor. They learn steps/routines very quickly and are young at heart. Frankie Manning, the legendary Lindy Hopper, is still teaching and dancing in his late eighties.

CANCER They don’t like to draw attention to themselves and hate to be the wallflower. They’re hypersensitive about what other people think about their dancing. There are, of course, exceptions: Ginger Rogers.

LEO They are the natural performers of the Zodiac, possessing charisma and personality. But they can also show-off and be more aware of the audience than their partner. They can look for applause, needing to feel noticed and appreciated. That’s why they can indulge in more complicated/flashy moves-as long as they can do them well. Gene Kelly is a famous lion.

VIRGO They’re the technicians on the dance floor. They can learn a routine or style precisely but they can worry too much about doing it perfectly. This can deprive them of spontaneity and flair. The precision can be used to good effect in the right feet: Michael Jackson.

LIBRA Image is very important to them: they like to be aesthetically pleasing! And it’s not just the clothes: they want to look stylish and graceful around the dance floor. They like a partner who makes them look good! Jayne Torvill is a famous example.

SCORPIO They are the sexbombs on the dance floor! Have you noticed their intense/hypnotic stare?! Their simmering passions can make them sensual and erotic, usually in a subtle way. (They don’t do things by halves and usually commit themselves 100% to any dance that interests them.)

SAGITTARIUS Their enthusiasm and enjoyment of life comes over in their dancing: they want to have fun! They are also very theatrical because everything has to be larger than life. They can use flashy/revealing clothes to get their point across…and don’t like to be upstaged! Busby Berkeley is a famous archer.

CAPRICORN They work long and hard to learn a style of dancing but the struggle can sap them of fun. This changes as they get older because they mellow out and have less of a need to stick to strict guidelines and rules. Anna Pavlova, the Russian ballet dancer, is a famous example.

AQUARIUS They are conservative or they like to experiment with the steps, trying different things. This results in originality, misguided steps or the need to be different for the sake of it. John Travolta is a quirky example.

PISCES They look like they’re floating on the dance floor because they’re light and airy. They know instinctively where their partner is going, almost blending in with them. Cyd Charisse is a famous fish.

Kiwi_Tim
15th-July-2003, 06:44 PM
Hehe...But I've always thought my nose is too big to stand comparison to Jacko's... :grin:

yeah, yeah, I know you don't dance with ya snoz...although now I think about the 'nah nah na nah nah' nose signal did come out from one partner last night... :innocent:

Emma
15th-July-2003, 07:40 PM
Dancing aside - Sagittarians will eventually rule the world :) Not if Gemini has anything to do with it my friend ;)

TheTramp
16th-July-2003, 10:47 AM
SAGITTARIUS: Their enthusiasm and enjoyment of life comes over in their dancing: they want to have fun! They are also very theatrical because everything has to be larger than life. They can use flashy/revealing clothes to get their point across…and don’t like to be upstaged! Busby Berkeley is a famous archer.See. It's so wrong. I'm nothing like that. Nothing I tell you..... :rolleyes:

Steve

CJ
16th-July-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
See. It's so wrong. I'm nothing like that. Nothing I tell you..... :rolleyes:

Steve

Aye, us Archers are quiet, wallflower types... who finds this nonsense?!?:wink:

angelique
16th-July-2004, 08:55 PM
LEO They are the natural performers of the Zodiac, possessing charisma and personality. But they can also show-off and be more aware of the audience than their partner. They can look for applause, needing to feel noticed and appreciated. That’s why they can indulge in more complicated/flashy moves-as long as they can do them well. Gene Kelly is a famous lion.
ok ok have read this thread with GREAT interest :eek:
It appears no one has asked about being a Leo so I may be in the minority here :worthy: so was delighted to see the above quote. I have to say I love doing flashy moves as long as in the very capable hands of stars like Trampy, Mr Pownall and Adam...................... :clap:
I just hope I dont look like Gene Kelly............... :whistle:

quiet_flame
26th-July-2006, 01:04 AM
VIRGO They’re the technicians on the dance floor. They can learn a routine or style precisely but they can worry too much about doing it perfectly. This can deprive them of spontaneity and flair. The precision can be used to good effect in the right feet: Michael Jackson.

SCORPIO They are the sexbombs on the dance floor! Have you noticed their intense/hypnotic stare?! Their simmering passions can make them sensual and erotic, usually in a subtle way. (They don’t do things by halves and usually commit themselves 100% to any dance that interests them.)

For those of us who really got into astrology,
I'm a Virgo, but my rising sign is Scorpio...

This is nothing like me I swear :whistle: