PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite sandwich filling and why?

Dreadful Scathe
11th-January-2004, 10:12 PM
Im making a sandwich on the 17th of January (round about luncthtime). Who wants cheese and ham ?

Heather
11th-January-2004, 11:01 PM
.........can I have egg mayonaise with my ham sandwich?

:hug:
Heather,
X

fruitcake
11th-January-2004, 11:01 PM
Sandwich you say? cheese and ham?
As they say in Aberdeen.....fit u spikkin aboot?
(or.....am I missing something??):confused:

Heather
12th-January-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by fruitcake
Sandwich you say? cheese and ham?
As they say in Aberdeen.....fit u spikkin aboot?
(or.....am I missing something??):confused:

Branston Pickle??
:hug:
Heather,
X

Aleks
12th-January-2004, 10:22 AM
Cheese & salad cream or, even better, cheese and carrot!

Should I bring my own?

Emma
12th-January-2004, 12:16 PM
Bacon for me, please :)

Dreadful Scathe
12th-January-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Bacon for me, please :)

Bacon goes in a roll surely! You may be omnipotent but you're certainly not omniscient ;).

This is turning into something of a sandwich-fest, best bring your own ingredients. :)

Lemon Curd and peanut butter ?

Mary
12th-January-2004, 12:32 PM
Can you bring it out to The Alps - we should just about have got ourselves together to head out onto the piste by then.:D :D :D And can I have a vin chaud with that?:wink: :waycool:

M

Minnie M
12th-January-2004, 12:34 PM
BLT + Mayo please :drool:

Franck
12th-January-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M
BLT + Mayo please :drool: ooooh yes... :drool:

I'm with you on that one Minnie :nice: definitely with mayo, and preferably with salt & vinegar crisps!

Emma
12th-January-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Bacon goes in a roll surely! You may be omnipotent but you're certainly not omniscient ;).You'd better just hope I'm not omnipresent...I'll have my bacon however I please, Mr Smurf! :grin:

fruitcake
12th-January-2004, 01:10 PM
OOOh!
I am partial to strawberry tarts, will there be any?:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: etc
And of course......Fruitcake.
I know Steve likes fruitcake too,with hot(not cold) custard-allegedly:na:

Tiggerbabe
12th-January-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Bacon goes in a roll surely!
Her name's Emma - EMMA *sheesh!*

Lemon Curd
Lemon curd goes best on pancakes :nice:
Oh decisions, decisions! Ham and egg salad with coleslaw please :D

Dance Demon
12th-January-2004, 08:37 PM
Think I'll go with the old miners favourite of cheese & strawberry jam:drool: ...............or I could go for baloney:wink:

TheTramp
13th-January-2004, 12:11 AM
I'm a ham, cheese and mayo man myself.

With some fruitcake for afters :rolleyes:

Steve

LMC
13th-March-2007, 01:57 PM
Ah, this question is more my level.

Fave sandwich filling: ham and jam. It rhymes.

chocolatetoffee
13th-March-2007, 01:58 PM
mmmm...dribble...

I mean..
corn beef (silverside), Kraft single cheese and peeled shallots.....

Double Trouble
13th-March-2007, 02:01 PM
ham and jam.

Together? Thats just nasty..!

David Bailey
13th-March-2007, 02:01 PM
BLT, Vimes-style. :clap:

No messing with the classics.

LMC
13th-March-2007, 02:06 PM
Pork & apple sauce
Duck & orange sauce
Turkey & cranberry sauce

Ham & strawberry sauce. AKA jam.

Not nasty, logical :D

EDIT: Cheese & marmalade is also good.

Yep, I'm weird. Your point was? :D

Double Trouble
13th-March-2007, 02:06 PM
Oh God, I'm detoxing this week....I could murder my fav sarnie..

Thick cut fresh white bread.....real butter....cold beef and horseradish.

Why oh why do I torture myself like this?:sad: :sad: :tears:

Gadget
13th-March-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't think I'm really all that bothered about the filling, as long as the bread is two, inch thick slices from a fresh loaf, preferably a poppyseed bloomer, liberally spread with real butter....

:drool:

David Bailey
13th-March-2007, 02:14 PM
Christ, I'm starving now, I'm going to get some lunch...

Double Trouble
13th-March-2007, 02:15 PM
EDIT: Cheese & marmalade is also good.

I'm totally with you on the cheese and marmalade...but that is better on toast.....that's my fav toast topping. Yum.

Lee Bartholomew
13th-March-2007, 02:18 PM
Sausage in baps. Poss with some stuffing.

*Someone had to say it, thought i would get it over and done with.

Gav
13th-March-2007, 02:25 PM
I don't think I'm really all that bothered about the filling, as long as the bread is two, inch thick slices from a fresh loaf, preferably a poppyseed bloomer, liberally spread with real butter....

:drool:
:yeah::drool:

I'm totally with you on the cheese and marmalade...but that is better on toast.....that's my fav toast topping. Yum.

Don't like marmalade, but cheese and marmite :drool::drool::drool:

Just make sure there's plenty of cheese, because there's not enough cheesy posts on the forum already :rolleyes: :whistle:

SeriouslyAddicted
13th-March-2007, 02:59 PM
Nothing can beat cheese and onion although best to have some mints handy afterwards - can't stand bad breath!!

David Bailey
13th-March-2007, 03:09 PM
Yum, inspired by this thread, I just had a ham / chicken / BLT triple combo :yum:

LMC
13th-March-2007, 03:23 PM
I bet it had mayonnaise in it. Yuk.

Why does just about every commercial sandwich maker think that mayo is essential? Boring :(

JiveLad
13th-March-2007, 03:24 PM
:yeah::drool:

Don't like marmalade, but cheese and marmite :drool::drool::drool:

Just make sure there's plenty of cheese, because there's not enough cheesy posts on the forum already :rolleyes: :whistle:

Speaking of Marmite - did you see the limited edition (300,000 I think) of Guinness Marmite?

They are becoming collectors items - now on eBay - one guy has 6 jars for £70 plus postage - it like they're going for £5-£10.

Gav
13th-March-2007, 03:24 PM

Why does just about every commercial sandwich maker think that mayo is essential? Boring :(

mmmm, chips, mayo and paprika sandwich :drool:

rubyred
13th-March-2007, 03:34 PM
Very strong cheddar cheese and black cherry jam, bread has to be Rathbones white thick sliced toastie loaf with 'best' butter.:cool:

Corned beef hash butties.:yum:

Stew butties with mashed potatoe inside them as well.:waycool:

Egg and tomatoe.:yum:

chip butties with 'best' butter again, the butter melting through the bread.:love:

Crisp butties.:nice:

Fried egg and bacon.:drool:

And the Y - just because I like real food - I didn't get these curves from eating rabbit food.:whistle:

When I was little I used to get sugar butties, brown sauce butties and condonni [Condensed milk ] butties - what was available for a snack depended on what my mam's cravings were when she was preggie. - still like brown sauce on butties, but not the other two :sick:

David Bailey
13th-March-2007, 03:37 PM

Nope - was a healthy (!) "Be good to yourself" mayo-free zone. :grin:

Little Monkey
13th-March-2007, 03:52 PM
- Warm, crusty baguette with brie and cranberry sauce :drool:

- Brown multigrain crusty (fresh) bread with butter, wholegrain mustard and thick slices of ham.:drool:

- Crusty bread with cream cheese and smoked salmon....:drool:

- Toast with Norwegian Brown Cheese! (And a big mug of tea or coffee) This also goes exceedingly well with orange marmalade...:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I've had my lunch just over an hour ago, but I want some more, now!

angelique
13th-March-2007, 04:08 PM
When I was pregnant it had to be egg and horseradish mixed on crumpets OR oranges on toast followed by a crunch on an ice cube or 11...(these had to be crunched in private tho!)

Nowadays am more sophisticated...hot sugar waffles with chocolate spread and fresh strawberies on top ..:drool:

oh my god..the calories...:sick:

whitetiger1518
13th-March-2007, 04:56 PM
Smoked salmon - if I'm feeling decadent - otherwise Mum's homemade raspberry jam - absolutely nothing can beat it!!

Whitetiger

Paulthetrainer
13th-March-2007, 05:17 PM
Chicken breast. Not that processed rubbish though.

On wholemeal bread, with lots of black pepper. And lettuce.

Paul

Cruella
13th-March-2007, 07:12 PM
Egg and Heinz salad cream. :drool:

Cruella
13th-March-2007, 07:13 PM
"Be good to yourself"

Is that daily?

Feelingpink
13th-March-2007, 07:18 PM
Is that daily?He's a guy - what do you think???!!! (as long as his heart holds out) :wink:

Sandwich fillings: bacon & ketchup on white bloomer or salami, gherkin & butter on rustic bread (from Paul bakery)

Frankie_4711
13th-March-2007, 08:04 PM
Multi-grain or seedy wholemeal, thick cut bread, no butter/marg with:

Tuna mayo with salad and sweetcorn
Chicken breast with mayo, salad and sweetcorn
Cheddar cheese (gotta be mild English cheddar tho!) with mayo and salad
Smoked mackerel (no objections to mayo and salad with that either!)
Ham with salad and ... no - you're wrong! ... English mustard!
Sausages or bacon (well-done back) with ketchup

No specific reasons for any of these other than they taste luvverly!:drool:

FoxyFunkster
13th-March-2007, 08:10 PM
Prompted by nothing in particular :whistle:

In the summer of 1954, I spent some time in East Anglia. After a week in Southend, I flew to Caister on Sea, the 412th best seaside resort. I arrived mid-morning and, with the temperature at an unbearable 17 degrees, fell asleep in my B&B overlooking the local Junior School after several cheap whiskeys and a pint of Watney's Red Barrel.

Around pub opening time, I went down to the local greasy spoon for something to eat. To my horror I discovered that they'd run out of Marmalade. What would I have in my sandwich? There was plenty on offer, but nothing that I'd ever tried before. I perused the selection and it was all so confusing. Eventually, I mustered up the courage and asked the 26 stone sweaty lady for her recommendation. That isn't publishable, so I decided to try Rasberry Jam (with seeds!). Imagine my surprise when I found how delightful this filling was. Before long the establishment was over-run with rotund parents and their multi-coloured children all sampling the various sandwich fillings on offer.

So, what's your favourite sandwich filling, and why?

I`m liking the sound of a foxyfunkster filling surrounded by a spicy Foxylady/Cruella panini...........haven`t yet tasted it yet though :wink:

Cruella
13th-March-2007, 08:13 PM
I`m liking the sound of a foxyfunkster filling surrounded by a spicy Foxylady/Cruella panini...........haven`t yet tasted it yet though :wink:

Paninis are better when they are heated up.:wink:

FoxyFunkster
13th-March-2007, 08:16 PM

ooooooh a warm panini......sounds great...don`t forget the electricity meter tokens girls!!!!:wink:

Degodier
13th-March-2007, 09:29 PM
Not sure it counts as a sandwich, but coarse peasant bread dipped in warm olive oil, and a big bowl of glistening black olives. Those tangy ones covered in herbs or stuffed with big fat cloves of garlic. Preferably outside, under an umbrella on a dusty beach front road somewhere in the med, served by a tall dark and handsome waiter........

S**t. Just woke up. Damn.

:grin:

Gentabout
13th-March-2007, 11:25 PM
I have many favorites but 2 that come to mind are, tuna with salad cream with freshly ground black pepper on soft white bread with a crunchy crust.

The second is a little out there, boiled egg with mayo or salad cream all chopped up with a tea spoon of mint sauce (think lamb not polo's) again on nice soft white bread:drool: .

Going to go boil some eggs for making lunch now, will make the office staff suffer:devil: .

Gent

WittyBird
13th-March-2007, 11:29 PM
Soft brown rolls with smoked salmon and boursin mmmmmmmmmm :awe:

The Boursin has to be garlic and herbs :D

Spin dryer
14th-March-2007, 12:30 AM

foxylady
14th-March-2007, 12:52 AM

ooooooh a warm panini......sounds great...don`t forget the electricity meter tokens girls!!!!:wink:

Well FF I was thinking more of me as being the filling and you and SF surrounding me.... :drool:

Hot or cold you'd both get rather more than you bargained for :wink:

(sorry Di, but needs must)

LittleSal
14th-March-2007, 01:04 AM
My favourite has to be the bacon buttie..comfort food...especially after my last night shift nothing beats it with a nice big mug of tea.:drool: :yum:

It is closely followed by the roll and fried egg and the chip buttie!

Banana sandwiches are also fab....I love them with and without peanut butter.:drool:

Beowulf
15th-March-2007, 09:26 AM
A 2 layer chicken club sandwich with hot griddled chicken, crispy bacon , juicy tomatoes, lettuce and some toasted wholemeal bread, garnished with a little honey and mustard mayo.. :drool:

Oh bother.. I've not had breakfast and now I'm ravenous.. and all i can think about is a toasted club sandwich.. damn you cruel fates, why did I have to read/post in this thread :tears:

Frankie_4711
15th-March-2007, 07:29 PM
A 2 layer chicken club sandwich with hot griddled chicken, crispy bacon , juicy tomatoes, lettuce and some toasted wholemeal bread, garnished with a little honey and mustard mayo.. :drool:

Ooh yeah!:drool:

Barry Shnikov
15th-March-2007, 09:47 PM
pilchards with condensed milk:what:

Barry Shnikov
15th-March-2007, 09:49 PM

How do you do that then? Electric condoms? or just dip it in the sink?

Double Trouble
15th-March-2007, 09:49 PM
pilchards with condensed milk:what:

There's something wrong with you.:grin:

Tiggerbabe
15th-March-2007, 10:09 PM
pilchards with condensed milk:what:We can share, you can have the pilchards :D

Cruella
16th-March-2007, 08:59 AM
How do you do that then? Electric condoms? or just dip it in the sink?

Grill it!

It's a very strange man that puts condoms on a Panini! :what:

Barry Shnikov
16th-March-2007, 11:11 AM
Grill it!

It's a very strange man that puts condoms on a Panini! :what:

Oh, panini. I got confused when it had an 's' on the end...

dave the scaffolder
16th-March-2007, 01:45 PM
Cold corned beef and mint sauce. Lovveellyy.XXX XXX

Icey
16th-March-2007, 07:20 PM
Pate and gherkins. Mmmmmm.

foxylady
17th-March-2007, 03:06 AM

Well FF I was thinking more of me as being the filling and you and SF surrounding me.... :drool:

Hot or cold you'd both get rather more than you bargained for :wink:

(sorry Di, but needs must)

Well I experienced both tonight, and I have to say I enjoyed both fillings tremendously !! :devil: