PDA

View Full Version : The Turkey Trot

JiveLad
12th-March-2007, 06:49 PM
Another item from the previously mentioned (more than mildly interesting) blog called History is made at night (http://history-is-made-at-night.blogspot.com/) refers to an article in the Daily Express c. 1910.......by the description, it is not far off a Ceroc/MJ move - not sure which, but I think I saw DT & Gav doing something similar at FunkyLush (but without the gobbling noises)

".....The most outrageous of the latest dances to be imported from New York is the 'Turkey Trot'. It is both ungraceful and disgraceful in the ballroom. There is not one redeeming feature about it.
Its technical description may not sound very dreadful, but the real manner of its dancing can only be judged at sight. The couple wriggle a few steps together, and then take steps sideways, hopping first on one leg and then on the other, after the manner of a lame bird.

The next contortion is a bending of the body downwards with widespread legs so as to look as nearly like a turkey as possible. After that the couples go prowling about in circles round each other. They may make gobbling noises if they like."

Gav
13th-March-2007, 12:17 AM
Another item from the previously mentioned (more than mildly interesting) blog called History is made at night (http://history-is-made-at-night.blogspot.com/) refers to an article in the Daily Express c. 1910.......by the description, it is not far off a Ceroc/MJ move - not sure which, but I think I saw DT & Gav doing something similar at FunkyLush (but without the gobbling noises)

".....The most outrageous of the latest dances to be imported from New York is the 'Turkey Trot'. It is both ungraceful and disgraceful in the ballroom. There is not one redeeming feature about it.
Its technical description may not sound very dreadful, but the real manner of its dancing can only be judged at sight. The couple wriggle a few steps together, and then take steps sideways, hopping first on one leg and then on the other, after the manner of a lame bird.

The next contortion is a bending of the body downwards with widespread legs so as to look as nearly like a turkey as possible. After that the couples go prowling about in circles round each other. They may make gobbling noises if they like."

Have you seen the other move we've been working on?
It's called the Gav punches JiveLad on the nose and DT kicks him around the floor in a mildly entertaining way. :na: :D

BTW, I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. Maybe you could demonstrate next time we see you? That is if DT leaves you with the use of your legs. :wink:

MartinHarper
13th-March-2007, 02:46 AM
The Turkey Trot was incorporated into Lindy Hop. Lindy Hop is the grand-daddy of Modern Jive. If you saw some MJ folks dancing the Turkey Trot, they're just being authentic.
(source: The Lindy Circle - Lindy Hop History (http://www.lindycircle.com/history/lindy_hop/) )

Oh, I think it's funny that Argentine Tango is mentioned in the same paragraph (and with the same demeanour) as the Turkey Trot.

David Bailey
13th-March-2007, 08:46 AM
Oh, I think it's funny that Argentine Tango is mentioned in the same paragraph (and with the same demeanour) as the Turkey Trot.

Yes, and of course the line:

In the passion to model its ballrooms after the pattern of the 'coloured gentlemen's' places of amusement, society is learning the 'Huggie Bear', the 'Argentine tango', and the 'Dandy Dance'.
shows the Daily Express hasn't changed its tune too much in the past century - as the preambly in the blog states:

The Daily Express has been a fount of right wing bile for many years. Here's a classic example of its historic racism,
I'd still like to see someone do the Turkey Trot though, it sounds like fun :D

Gav
13th-March-2007, 09:06 AM
I'd still like to see someone do the Turkey Trot though, it sounds like fun :D

Sounds like what you'd be doing on Boxing day after an under-cooked Christmas dinner :sick: :D

or more recently after eating a Bernard Matthews product :D