PDA

View Full Version : The Rules and Politics of Dance (history)

JiveLad
11th-March-2007, 11:52 PM
Someone (was it from the forum?) sent an interesting link via my blog after I posted comments arising from the recent famous dance at Storm.

That person (whoever it is) has a vastly more interesting and wider scope blog on dance than anything I have seen (and I include my blog in that :D ). It's at History is made at night (http://history-is-made-at-night.blogspot.com)

Anyway, these were some rules on dance they referenced:

From a Boston publication 1858:

"Persons who have no ear for music, that is to say, a false one, ought to refrain from dancing."
"Married or young ladies cannot leave a ballroom, or any other party, alone. The former should be accompanied by one or two other married ladies, and the latter by their mother, or by a lady to represent her."
"Ladies should avoid talking too much; it will occasion re­marks. It has also a bad appearance to whisper continually in the ear of your partner."

Bottom line............social norms move on (as someone said in the thread) - although maybe the first rule still holds?

And this is the real bottom line:
__________________________________________________ ____________

ducasi
12th-March-2007, 01:59 AM
Though this set of rules was quite amusing, especially the second one...

From a London publication 1817:

"No person during a Country Dance, should hiss, clap, or make any other noise, to interrupt the good order of the company."
"Snapping the fingers, in Country Dancing and Reels, and the sudden howl or yell (introduced in some Scotch parties as partly national with them) ought particularly to be avoided, as partaking too much of the customs of barbarous nations."
"Gentlemen are not allowed to enter the ballroom in boots, spurs, gaiters, trowsers, or with canes or sticks; nor are loose pantaloons considered proper for a Full Dress Ball."

Miguel
12th-March-2007, 08:50 AM
....and from the 21st Century (12-03-07)

Partner dances with partners of the same sex
Same-sex social partner dancing is generally unacceptable in most social dance circumstances in the western world, although it is more commonly acceptable for two women to dance together than it is for two men to do so (although not in a romantic or overly friendly manner). Gays and lesbians, and others in the LGBT community who interest themselves in social partner dancing have formed social partner dance clubs and organizations, especially in larger cities in the United States, Canada and Europe.
Partner dance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partner_dance)

The comments above can be edited if you don't agree. Please don't have a go at me as I didn't write it. :flower:

David Bailey
12th-March-2007, 08:50 AM
"Snapping the fingers, in Country Dancing and Reels, and the sudden howl or yell (introduced in some Scotch parties as partly national with them) ought particularly to be avoided, as partaking too much of the customs of barbarous nations."
I think I'll print this out and put it up at Ashtons... :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
12th-March-2007, 09:30 AM

Same-sex social partner dancing is generally unacceptable in most social dance circumstances in the western world,

thats quite funny really - i would say uncommon, but unacceptable? they'd need to justify that!

Gav
12th-March-2007, 09:46 AM
[quote=ducasi;351233]"Snapping the fingers, in Country Dancing and Reels, and the sudden howl or yell (introduced in some Scotch parties as partly national with them) ought particularly to be avoided, as partaking too much of the customs of barbarous nations."/quote]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl:

Double Trouble
12th-March-2007, 03:27 PM
Ladies should avoid talking too much

I don't think that includes me, so I will choose to ignore that one.:na: :na: :na:

Jamie
12th-March-2007, 03:32 PM

Same-sex social partner dancing is generally unacceptable in most social dance circumstances in the western world, although it is more commonly acceptable for two women to dance together than it is for two men to do so (although not in a romantic or overly friendly manner). Gays and lesbians, and others in the LGBT community who interest themselves in social partner dancing have formed social partner dance clubs and organizations, especially in larger cities in the United States, Canada and Europe.
Partner dance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partner_dance)

The comments above can be edited if you don't agree. Please don't have a go at me as I didn't write it. :flower:

I agree whole-heartedly! Completely unacceptable behaviour.

Andy McGregor
12th-March-2007, 04:06 PM
I agree whole-heartedly! Completely unacceptable behaviour.
:yeah: