PDA

View Full Version : MJ as therapy

Lost Leader
10th-March-2007, 03:37 PM
Last Thursday I was in a very bad mood all day - you know the sort of thing, muttering under your breath, stressed out, nothing going right, face like a wet weekend :( (work related, don't ask).

Once home the options were either drink plenty of alchohol or go to Ceroc at Rugby. I decided on the latter hoping that it might take my mind off the other bad stuff but slightly worried that my bad mood might cast a shadow over proceedings.

I need not have worried becasue almost as soon as I arrived I forgot about all the work related crap and had a fab night which completely altered my mood for the better :grin: . I have to say a big thank-you to the lovely ladies I danced with (especially Rachel and several of the regulars there whose names I don't know but who I had especially enjoyable dances with). Marc's relaxed but insightful teaching style also contributed significantly to the uplifting mood of the night (great intermediate routine btw.)

If I had decided not to bother going I very much doubt my mood would have improved much and I would probably had a poor night's sleep as well (as it was I slept like a log).

I wonder if other forumites have had similar experiences. For me the moral of the story is that when it comes to work, dancing is far more important.

Jhutch
10th-March-2007, 03:51 PM
I tend to find that it goes one way or the other - i have had some really good nights when i have gone straight from work (I often finish at 8pm having started at 9am), especially if something has been troubling me a bit at work. I find that ceroc really takes my mind off things.

Then again, sometimes i gone straight from work and had really bad nights - think that sometimes if i am really tired then i just can't get going:sad:

Magic Hans
10th-March-2007, 06:50 PM
I have no doubt at all that MJ can be very therapeutic for many people.

I certainly find my local (amateur) theatre entirely therapeutic, as whenever go there to help out, my mood lightens, and energy levels increase almost instantly! Even just thinking about the theatre and those involved, seems to lift my mood from wherever it is!!

If the local theatre has this effect for me, when not, something similar for modern jive (ceroc)?

jive_me
10th-March-2007, 07:01 PM
I started MJ right after my boyfriend decided we weren't working out, it was a way to stop myself from sitting in the house being miserable. It certainly boosted my mood and gave my mind something else to concentrate on (although is that healthy in that sort of circumstance?).

Sometimes I go out in a dark mood and come back feeling loads better and in a much more personable frame of mind (just ask my poor parents). It could be the endorphins or the fact that I stop thinking about all the rubbish stuff that's happened, or maybe its the social factor.

Either way, I know exactly what you're talking about :na:

xXx:flower:

Lee Bartholomew
10th-March-2007, 07:04 PM
It's great therapy.

I actually got in to it after deciding that getting drunk down the pub everynight with my mates was prob not the best way to get over a relationship split and other rubbish stuff.

I had gone to a MJ class for three weeks, a year prior to all the rubbish I had going on. I heard it advertised on the radio whilst getting ready for the pub and decided to go there instead. I found everyone to be really friendly and for the few hours I was there, I forgot about all the probs and greif I was having in my personal life.

Been dancing for just over a year now and athough it hasn't sorted out all the personal stuff I have going on, I now very rarely drink, made some great friends and some very pretty women :innocent:.

Cheaper than therapy (just), gives you less of a hangover than beer (just) and makes you apear attractive to girls (at least in my head).

Astro
10th-March-2007, 07:09 PM
made some great friends and some very pretty women :innocent:.

How many women have you made then?:whistle:

Lee Bartholomew
10th-March-2007, 07:13 PM
Made loads of girls in to women :innocent:

DD+
10th-March-2007, 09:09 PM
now now woodface:whistle: :rofl:

Well for me Ceroc has been my saviour, yeah yeah i know it sounds corny!! Well last year was the worst year of my life...i lost my job, got rid of my husband, and had to sell our family home because of it...and the one thing that kept me going was Ceroc and the wonderful friends that i have met through dancing...i really couldn't have done it without either so this goes out to you all...you know who you are!! :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect:

:love:

Astro
11th-March-2007, 07:44 PM
Made loads of girls in to women :innocent:

But the 64 million dollar question is - Can u make a woman back into a girl?:D

Think MJ is fantastic therapy:nice: , except it is depressing when I am unable to actually attend a dance due to injury, illness or other committments. So you can't win really can you?:tears:

Thank heavens for the forum! Almost don't need to go dancing. Can read all about it here!:whistle:

Lee Bartholomew
11th-March-2007, 07:54 PM
But the 64 million dollar question is - Can u make a woman back into a girl?:D

Errr :what:

whitetiger1518
12th-March-2007, 11:50 AM
Thank heavens for the forum! Almost don't need to go dancing. Can read all about it here!:whistle:

I agree that the forum is a method of keeping sane Astro:yeah: .

However there was absolutely Nothing like the buzz that I got when I finally made it back to MJ on Saturday at the Glasgow party!!

:awe:Thank you guys for making my night... :awe:

:clap:

Cheers

Whitetiger