PDA

View Full Version : Jive Aces On Fri 9th March

Twirlie Bird
7th-March-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm thinking of going dancing this Friday. Jive Aces are playing live at Halesowen. So I'm keen to know has anyone seen Jive Aces before? What are they like? Is it all really jivey music or is there a mixture? Do they do covers or is it all their own stuff? Also OXO is DJ'ing so how does this work? Does the live band just play for a short time or do they do a couple of sets? :confused:

Also I have never danced anywhere where a live band is playing. May sound daft but is there a difference dancing to live music? Oh and of course - are any of you lovely forumites going to be there as I understand it may be a late one? That means the opportunity for lots and lots of dances :wink:

Thanks for all of your comments. :nice:

Twirlie Bird
-x-

David Bailey
7th-March-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm thinking of going dancing this Friday. Jive Aces are playing live at Halesowen. So I'm keen to know has anyone seen Jive Aces before? What are they like? Is it all really jivey music or is there a mixture?
There's a thread about them here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/social-events/11594-jive-aces-friday-23rd.html) which may help.

Lee Bartholomew
7th-March-2007, 05:15 PM
There's a thread about them here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/social-events/11594-jive-aces-friday-23rd.html) which may help.

Ny thread which I got everyone to go to then didn't go myself. lol

fletch
7th-March-2007, 05:33 PM
They are fast,:what: so you should get a contrast with OXO'S DJing he likes his slower stuff :flower:

straycat
7th-March-2007, 05:45 PM
They are fast,:what: so you should get a contrast with OXO'S DJing he likes his slower stuff :flower:

Not always fast - they played a lot of slower stuff at the last gig I went to.

Minnie M
7th-March-2007, 06:58 PM
Not always fast - they played a lot of slower stuff at the last gig I went to.

:yeah:
They have now sussed the modern jive scene - most of their music is very dancable even to beginners :respect:

You will love them they are born entertainers :worthy:

Try and get a dance with Ken (base) or Ian the singer/trumpet (Ian is forumite jiveknight) - they are both great dancers

David Bailey
7th-March-2007, 07:25 PM
They have now sussed the modern jive scene - most of their music is very dancable even to beginners :respect:
They've changed their tune (ho ho) a lot in the past couple of years, varying their repertoire to meet the MJ dance audience - a definitely a great set of guys. Apart from being religious nutters of course :na:

The other thing to be aware of when dancing to live music is that the tracks are often longer than normal music tracks. I noticed this most in salsa, each track seems to last about 24 minutes on average... :sick:

Minnie M
7th-March-2007, 08:32 PM
They've changed their tune (ho ho) a lot in the past couple of years, varying their repertoire to meet the MJ dance audience - a definitely a great set of guys. Apart from being religious nutters of course :na:

The other thing to be aware of when dancing to live music is that the tracks are often longer than normal music tracks. I noticed this most in salsa, each track seems to last about 24 minutes on average... :sick:

AFAIK the only tune/song/etc they play that is longer than a CD track is their 'jam' one - which is like a mini-cabaret and well worth watching

24 minutes - that's enough to put anyone off Salsa :sick:

Raul
8th-March-2007, 03:52 PM

All the Utopia dancers will be going there instead then!

Mythical
10th-March-2007, 10:20 AM
First time I've seen the Jive aces, an' it was awesome. Had to love the superfast Mack the Knife! :D

fletch
10th-March-2007, 10:57 AM
All the Utopia dancers will be going there instead then!

Eversham or Twickernam :confused: :rolleyes:

First time I've seen the Jive aces, an' it was awesome. Had to love the superfast Mack the Knife! :D

come on Honey, lets have a few more detail, I don't think Stokie's up yet :confused:

what were the numbers like ?

What did you think of the DJing ? was there a contrast?

Did you wear a dress :waycool:

:flower:

Mythical
10th-March-2007, 11:47 AM
I didnt spot Stokie and Twirliebird :( Was on the lookout, though.
Ok, it was an ace night all round. My kinda music played before the Jive aces, then the Jive aces, of course - after that I can't really judge - I'm sure it was great, but not really my taste. Didn't stop me dancing to it, tho, so it can't have been bad at all! :D
I didn't wear a dress - I took one with me, tho, just in case, and I have to admit, I was sorely tempted to go get changed, but I didn't want to miss anymore great tunes (the best one of the niht started when I was at the bar!!)
So...yeah...awesome!

fletch
10th-March-2007, 12:17 PM
I didnt spot Stokie and Twirliebird :( Was on the lookout, though.
(the best one of the niht started when I was at the bar!!)
So...yeah...awesome!

Just found out they never went :flower:

come on you carn't do that to me :really: what happend at the bar :love:

:flower:

Mythical
10th-March-2007, 08:26 PM
Nothing. I just happened to be there when my fave song ever started.

Twirlie Bird
11th-March-2007, 05:54 AM
Nothing. I just happened to be there when my fave song ever started.

Well I hope that you left the bar and hit the dance floor straight away. The drink will wait. :cheers:

We couldn't go in the end. Very disappointed as it was an amazing night by all accounts. I have an even bigger reason for looking forward to the Hafan weekender now as that's when I will experience the Jive Aces for the first time. :nice:

Mythical we will get to meet one day. :hug:

Twirlie Bird
-x-

StokeBloke
11th-March-2007, 05:59 AM
What are you doing up at 5am? Did you wet the bed TB? :D

Now where did the clean sheets get put......?:whistle:

fletch
11th-March-2007, 07:04 AM
We couldn't go in the end. Very disappointed as it was an amazing night by all accounts.

-x-

Yes we have hear all about it from PawPlay and Dai, they had a fab time :clap:

What are you doing up at 5am? Did you wet the bed TB? :D

Now where did the clean sheets get put......?:whistle:

what you two doing up? celebrating your anniversary, or just got in :whistle:

StokeBloke
11th-March-2007, 04:33 PM
what you two doing up? celebrating your anniversary, or just got in :whistle:
Just got in babe! :whistle: :innocent:

fletch
11th-March-2007, 05:20 PM
Just got in babe! :whistle: :innocent:

thought so :wink:

OXO'S
11th-March-2007, 06:15 PM
A big thanks to you guys making friday night a great night at halesowen,that involved the JIVE ACES.It gave me a break for a hour and i must admit they played a couple of nos that really was in the blues mode to dance to i really enjoyed them.Lovely to see pawplay and tor they travelled a distance to be there and i think they had a good time:respect: :respect: :respect:

Dai
11th-March-2007, 06:32 PM
Lovely to see pawplay and tor they travelled a distance to be there and i think they had a good time:respect: :respect: :respect:

Jive aces were brilliant, some of the tracks were very fast, but the variation was good too. Mack the Knife was possibly my fave of the night. It was certainly worth the drive.

I had some superb dances, OXO'S, thank you - i don't think we have danced before, and it was lovely to dance with you. I had lots of dances with non-forumites. I was disapointed not to see Stokie and TB, and again i was in a vanue with mythical, but we did not get the chance to meet.

I must say i had a fabulous dance with Mia, wow:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Great set OXO'S as always.

Mike - what happened to my dance?? :rolleyes: You danced with Pawplay!! Next time i hope.

fletch
11th-March-2007, 06:36 PM
I must say i had a fabulous dance with Mia, wow:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Mike - what happened to my dance?? :rolleyes: You danced with Pawplay!! Next time i hope.

Mia, Mia, Mia, not this old chestnut again :rolleyes: :rofl:

See i'm getting good i'm not goint to comment on your dance with Mike :devil: :innocent:

Mythical
12th-March-2007, 01:46 AM
and again i was in a vanue with mythical, but we did not get the chance to meet.

Dammit, I did it again!
You weren't the one with the hat, were you, Dai?

fletch
12th-March-2007, 09:09 AM
Dammit, I did it again!
You weren't the one with the hat, were you, Dai?

I would think so :waycool:

She leads, and is fab at it :respect: you should ask :flower:

Mythical
12th-March-2007, 10:59 AM
She leads, and is fab at it :respect:

I think we danced. I agree. :respect:

I'm gonna get myself a frikkin name badge - then i won't keep missing forumites.