PDA

View Full Version : The Tornado

Sparkles
6th-March-2007, 10:57 AM
This has to be my favourite dip! :clap:

I only discovered it's name at the weekend (thanks to Spice'n'Easy :worthy: ) and if anyone thinks 'I don't really like drops' then this is the move for you!

It starts with a double-handed inside turn for the ladies letting go with the right, the guy then turns around the lady 360 degrees while she is still turning and continues her momentum to lead her down into a deep dip, the guy uses a squatting position and his knee to support her lower back.

It feels almost magical... :drool:
It's very dramatic in both look and feel, and, from what I can tell, is fairly easy on both the lead and follow. I was 'Tornado'ed several times over the course of the weekend, mainly by S'n'E, Captain Fantastic and robd :waycool:.
Now all I have to do is learn to lead it :rolleyes:

Rebecca
6th-March-2007, 11:01 AM
Ah, the Captain's been doing this since being taught in a class with Simon Borland a year or so ago. It was a well kept secret magic move of his until recently it seems!

Bring it on though leads - and listen out for the follow's sighs of delight :wink:

Jamie
6th-March-2007, 11:03 AM
I don't think I've been tornado'd (well I have but that's a completely different story)... Having danced with Both RobD & Captain Fantastic at the weekend I don't actually know if I have been! Let me know guys... :confused:

Spice 'n' Easy
6th-March-2007, 11:58 AM
Ah, the Captain's been doing this since being taught in a class with Simon Borland a year or so ago. It was a well kept secret magic move of his until recently it seems!:

And there's me thinking it was just my secret magic move :waycool: . Yep, i learnt it from the master too, Simon Borland and it is both a beautiful and dramatic drop :respect:

Bring it on though leads - and listen out for the follow's sighs of delight :wink:

Leads, learn to do it properly and your follower will remember your dance for ever :drool: :drool: However please please please, never EVER try it on a crowded dancefloor as it does need quite a bit of room around you to execute.

Msfab
6th-March-2007, 12:01 PM
I don't think I've been tornado'd (well I have but that's a completely different story)... Having danced with Both RobD & Captain Fantastic at the weekend I don't actually know if I have been! Let me know guys... :confused:

You'd so know if you had been!:wink:

robd
6th-March-2007, 01:09 PM

I remember we danced Jamie but I can't remember if I lead you to go down on me in a Tornado or any other kind of dip. My memory must be fading :blush:

Lory
6th-March-2007, 01:14 PM
It feels almost magical... :drool:
It's very dramatic in both look and feel, and, from what I can tell, is fairly easy on both the lead and follow. I was 'Tornado'ed several times over the course of the weekend, mainly by S'n'E, Captain Fantastic and robd :waycool:.:yeah: Me too! :drool:

But let's not forget, these guys are all brilliant dancers! :worthy:

Its not one I'd like to lead into by a guy who simply 'thinks' he's good enough to do it!:sick:

Trouble
6th-March-2007, 01:20 PM
I remember we danced Jamie but I can't remember if I lead you to go down on me in a Tornado or any other kind of dip. My memory must be fading :blush:

can anybody spot anything in this paragraph.......

RobD going down on Jamie...mmmm now that would be worth a look. :D

Tessalicious
6th-March-2007, 01:25 PM
RobD going down on Jamie...mmmm now that would be worth a look. :D...but obviously not in the middle of the dance-floor, just in case anyone saw who didn't want to...

robd
6th-March-2007, 02:24 PM
Getting back on topic (ahem) I want to thank Spice n Easy for taking time out from eating to show me this move that appears to be universally loved by followers (much like pivot turns and 'The Scottish Move' before it :waycool: ) . I had, and continue to have to an extent, my doubts about it specifically about the fact that I am dipping the lady whilst my feet continue to move as I rotate around her. I have always preferred to have my feet planted and very stable on the rare occasions I have tried to lead a dip and this goes away from that. However, thanks to the patience of ZW and Sparkles I was able to practice a number of times and get it working to my satisfaction, ooh, at least once or twice. The critical thing, I think, is the squatting position and the fact that you are laying the lady across your lower thigh giving extra support. I'll keep perservering with it if the environment allows. I would hope, however, that no-one is daft enough to try and pick up this move based on a written description on the forum. Seek out Spicey and get a proper demonstration (he might throw in an arm jive too if you are lucky :D )

SuzyQ
6th-March-2007, 03:01 PM
I think Simon Borland did this move on me at Funky Lush ... it made me squeal and giggle ... quite embarrassing really!!

SuzyQ

Captain Fantastic
6th-March-2007, 03:31 PM

Nope, don't think I did, next time...

... it made me squeal and giggle ...

It seems to have that effect. :waycool:

Now all I have to do is learn to lead it

Me, Me, lead Me, I'll show you!!! :clap:

Trouble
6th-March-2007, 03:40 PM
I think Simon Borland did this move on me at Funky Lush ... it made me squeal and giggle ... quite embarrassing really!!

SuzyQ

we are still talking about the tornado i take it. :flower: :rolleyes:

HelenB
8th-March-2007, 10:16 PM
...Seek out Spicey and get a proper demonstration (he might throw in an arm jive too if you are lucky :D )

And thanks to you Rob, I got exactly that demostration in the boudoir Sunday afternoon :clap:

It was :drool: (and that was just the arm jive :rolleyes: )

Caro
8th-March-2007, 10:58 PM
This has to be my favourite dip! :clap:

(snip description of :drool: dip)

oh this sounds :drool:

I want to be tornado-ed too! :whistle:

under par
8th-March-2007, 11:09 PM
Rob and Spicey please book me in for 20 minutes lesson at Utopia please!:yeah:

robd
9th-March-2007, 10:01 AM
Rob and Spicey please book me in for 20 minutes lesson at Utopia please!:yeah:

I think you need to concentrate on Spice n Eaty. I can show you pretty well how NOT to do it :blush: Not sure about the reverse yet :sad:

Jamie
11th-March-2007, 07:09 PM
I got Tornado'd!! RobD... I never knew you had it in you! :wink:

ALexyMiss
30th-March-2007, 04:15 PM
For anyone interested, I heard that Simon B will be teaching The Tornado at the Hatfield all-day workshop this Saturday 31st March...

Jamie
2nd-April-2007, 12:52 AM
Big thanks to Captain Fantastic for teaching me the Tornado! Still needs a little tweaking but after a few more practices at my locals I'll have it ready for Chill :D

Who's first? :devil:

Yliander
2nd-April-2007, 10:06 AM
Big thanks to Captain Fantastic for teaching me the Tornado! Still needs a little tweaking but after a few more practices at my locals I'll have it ready for Chill :D

Who's first? :devil: I don't know that I was first - but I was tornado'd by Jamie several times last night - LOVELY - although not the move I thought it it was :sick:

Jamie you can Tornado me anytime :D :flower:

ducasi
2nd-April-2007, 10:46 AM
Can someone video this so we can all see what the fuss is about? Thanks. :flower:

Sparkles
2nd-April-2007, 10:48 AM
Next time ZW and S'n'E are in the same place at the same time i'll se if we can try for you - they were our demos at Camber :worthy: :worthy:

Cruella
2nd-April-2007, 10:54 AM

CF is fab at it. :awe: Made me squeal with delight twice on saturday night. :D

HelenB
2nd-April-2007, 11:05 AM
CF is fab at it. :awe: Made me squeal with delight twice on saturday night. :D

:yeah: he certainly is :clap: (and I heard the squeals :rofl: )

I was tornado'd by Jamie Saturday :drool: - does that make me the first? :whistle:

robd
2nd-April-2007, 11:12 AM
Can someone video this so we can all see what the fuss is about? Thanks. :flower:

We really need it from the horses mouth - Simon Borland - as there are doubts as to whether what some people think is a tornado really is one, in particular the amount of stepping for the leader around the follower. Also S 'n' E and CF use different intro's to the rotation and dip which is the core of the move - whether it makes any difference to the feel of it, you'd have to ask the followers.

I am sure ZW would be happy to demo it with anyone for anyone. And we'd be happy to see once again that she did pass the Daz challenge with flying colours (or lack of, to be honest) :D

ducasi
2nd-April-2007, 11:23 AM
Even an approximation would be nice... Who's going to be at Chill who could demo it there?

Cruella
2nd-April-2007, 11:28 AM
was tornado'd by Jamie Saturday :drool: - does that make me the first? :whistle:
I was too. :D

Tiggerbabe
2nd-April-2007, 11:31 AM
Who's going to be at Chill who could demo it there?
You're going to Chill? :clap:

Cruella
2nd-April-2007, 11:33 AM
Also S 'n' E and CF use different intro's to the rotation and dip which is the core of the move - whether it makes any difference to the feel of it, you'd have to ask the followers.

Well so far they are the best experiences i've had. (of theTornado)
So maybe their ways are better.

robd
2nd-April-2007, 11:38 AM
So maybe their way is better.

Read it again laughing girl. I mean that S 'n' E does a different intro to CF. If you are not noticing the difference then maybe it's irrelevant.

I like your 'of the Tornado' qualifier :D , what are the best experiences you've had full stop?

Sparkles
2nd-April-2007, 11:39 AM
So maybe their way is better.

No, as in, they use different intros to each other, not to Rob. :rolleyes:
:flower:

Cruella
2nd-April-2007, 11:40 AM
:whistle: (don't you love the edit feature)

Zebra Woman
2nd-April-2007, 12:18 PM
We really need it from the horses mouth - Simon Borland - as there are doubts as to whether what some people think is a tornado really is one, in particular the amount of stepping for the leader around the follower. Also S 'n' E and CF use different intro's to the rotation and dip which is the core of the move - whether it makes any difference to the feel of it, you'd have to ask the followers.

S 'n' E and Rob D both start with a double handed hold.

CF usually starts and finishes with a ballroom hold, but I'm sure he has 3 different ways into it and they are all good :respect: .

I am sure ZW would be happy to demo it with anyone for anyone. And we'd be happy to see once again that she did pass the Daz challenge with flying colours (or lack of, to be honest) :D

Yes please! I never pass up on the opportunity for a Tornado :clap: :drool: . Remind me to wear trousers for that though. :blush:

:whistle: (don't you love the edit feature)

Yeah I particularly enjoy comparing the edited post with the quoted post and spotting the difference! :na:

Cruella
2nd-April-2007, 12:23 PM
Yeah I particularly enjoy comparing the edited post with the quoted post and spotting the difference! :na:
I love to keep you entertained when you should be doing your housework. :whistle:

Spice 'n' Easy
2nd-April-2007, 01:22 PM
S 'n' E and Rob D both start with a double handed hold.

CF usually starts and finishes with a ballroom hold, but I'm sure he has 3 different ways into it and they are all good :respect::

I've seen Simon :respect: teach the intro in several different ways and all are good but at the end of the day the heart of this move is the 180 degree spin.

I prefer my intro as i found it easier to lead a follower, who had never been Tornado'd before, scuccessfully into this move. Because the follower is rotating and idealy spinning on one foot, it was easier to swing them round and into the falling 180 degree drop.

I think the key to this move is complete trust and no anticipation at all on the followers part. The follower has to completely let go and go with the leaders motion. Only then do you get the spectacular result (and accompanied squeals of delight) you get :waycool:

Rhythm King
2nd-April-2007, 01:44 PM
The version I learned first was from a right to right sway, with a change of hands. Simon then taught a two-handed variation. The Tornado is the spinning bit, with the relevant drop added on the end. The basic Tornado is also on a Ceroc Australia video I bought ages ago when Nicky Haslam was teaching at Hipsters and elswhere on a UK tour (ages ago :blush: ).

ducasi
2nd-April-2007, 02:51 PM
The version I learned first was from a right to right sway, with a change of hands. Simon then taught a two-handed variation. The Tornado is the spinning bit, with the relevant drop added on the end. The basic Tornado is also on a Ceroc Australia video I bought ages ago when Nicky Haslam was teaching at Hipsters and elswhere on a UK tour (ages ago :blush: ).
Ah! Must check my Aussie DVDs! Thanks RK for the tip! :)

Captain Fantastic
3rd-April-2007, 01:55 PM

You're most welcome, my pleasure.
I think I can settle the argument on who was first... ME! And it was a first for me as well as I’d never been Tornadod before! Now I know why the squeals of delight are so forthcoming.

Lee Bartholomew
9th-April-2007, 07:13 PM
Got Jamie to Tornado me in Brighton on Sunday to see what all the fuse was about.

It a brilliant move. Gives you a weird feeling as you get thrown in to it.

TheTramp
9th-April-2007, 08:50 PM
It a brilliant move. Gives you a weird feeling as you get thrown in to it.

Sea-sickness?? :rolleyes:

jive-vee
24th-May-2008, 12:59 PM
I got tornado-ed last night :clap::drool: