PDA

View Full Version : Are there two versions of the Accordian?

Terpsichorea
5th-March-2007, 11:55 AM
Hiya, I was wondering whether someone could help me with this; I was wondering whether two versions of the Accordian exist? I'm not talking about variations of style or emphasis, but whether two different versions of the move exist?

I ask because I've seen two variations danced. There's this one: http://www.jiveoholic.org.uk/videos/source167/v528uio-500.wmv, but also one which I've seen which is a lot less twirly, where the man steps formally behind the woman with both hands raised, and steps out to each side alternately...

So I was wondering, which is the orthodox way of doing the move?

spindr
5th-March-2007, 12:22 PM
So I was wondering, which is the orthodox way of doing the move?
The non-twirly way:
Modern Jive :: Accordion :: Brief Description (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/accordion.html) :)

SpinDr

JonD
5th-March-2007, 12:38 PM
I think that you just vary the speed you lead it at to permit the more "formal" feel. I guess the main means of varying them would be to change the hand you have on top - if memory serves, you normally lead an accordian with your left hand over your right but you can do them with left under right and turn the other way. Perhaps that version should be called the "Bandoneon"! (Type of accordian used in Tango music - this forms part of the evangelical mission to get mention of AT into every thread possible)

Terpsichorea
5th-March-2007, 12:56 PM
I think that you just vary the speed you lead it at to permit the more "formal" feel. I guess the main means of varying them would be to change the hand you have on top - if memory serves, you normally lead an accordian with your left hand over your right but you can do them with left under right and turn the other way. Perhaps that version should be called the "Bandoneon"! (Type of accordian used in Tango music - this forms part of the evangelical mission to get mention of AT into every thread possible)

Hi guys

Thanks for your help - it looks as if the difference is really one of speed and flow, rather than total technical difference. I suppose if you turned with right hand over left, you would be facing your partner...inspiring a Tango moment...:wink:

Ghost
5th-March-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi guys

Thanks for your help - it looks as if the difference is really one of speed and flow, rather than total technical difference. I suppose if you turned with right hand over left, you would be facing your partner...inspiring a Tango moment...:wink:

You can also do the *thinks* ACW turn part of the accordian as a travelling move (cf travelling return) if you want your follow to end up stepping back on her right rather than her left.