PDA

View Full Version : Dancing in Leicester/Nottingham

Daisy Chain
8th-July-2003, 09:41 PM
I know that this is the Ceroc Scotland Forum but I was hoping that someone who knows the Leicester/Nottingham area will see my message. I'm working in the L/N area for a couple of weeks soon and can find Ceroc in Nottingham on Mon and Thu and in Leicster on Wed. Alas. I can't find anything within a 25 mile radius of Loughborough for the Tuesday.

Can anyone suggest a venue - doesn't have to be Ceroc

:wink: Can I say that in here?

Many thanks, I'd hate to have to spend the evening in my posh 5 star hotel with the telly.

Daisy

DavidY
8th-July-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Daisy Chain
doesn't have to be Ceroc :wink: Can I say that in here?Oh yes...

I know that this is the Ceroc Scotland Forum but I was hoping that someone who knows the Leicester/Nottingham area will see my message. I'm working in the L/N area for a couple of weeks soon and can find Ceroc in Nottingham on Mon and Thu and in Leicster on Wed. Alas. I can't find anything within a 25 mile radius of Loughborough for the Tuesday. Dear Daisy,
I live in Derby & I haven't found any nearby class on a Tuesday :tears: but I guess others may know more... I looked at John Sweeney's ModernJive.com (http://www.modernjive.com/) website which has a "Weekly Classes in Central England" listing, but I couldn't see any that are inside your 25 mile radius. Nearest ones on the list are probably Ceroc in Coventry and Ballo Jive in Chesterfield. A bit further away is Northampton (probably an hour up the M1) - don't know much about the others but I had a good time when I went to Northampton last week. Further afield there's also South Birmingham/Wythall (near M42 Jn3).

Do let us know when you're coming to Nottingham so we few Forum folk who are in the area can say hello & maybe have a dance (or two :wink: )

David

Daisy Chain
9th-July-2003, 09:38 AM
ooooh! An offer! I'll try not to tread on your toes too much and I promise not to grope intentionally.

Thanks David for your reply. I'll be at the Nottingham and Leicester venues next week (assuming I can find them). I do have maps and instructions from the Ceroc Central website but can you recommend somewhere close and safe to park for :

Monday - Marcus Garvey
Wednesday - Millfield Hall
Thursday - West Bridgford

I was told by a colleague that Lenton Boulevard is not a very nice area and she suggested that I avoided it................but I want to go dancing. Is she right and will I find the car at the end of the night where I leave it at the start of the night?

I think your suggestions for Tuesday are too far time and distance-wise. The Boss will want to know why I've put so many miles on the hire car!

:sad:

Bill
9th-July-2003, 10:12 AM
Well Daisy........enjoy your time at Nottingham and Leicester. I've been to both and the folk there are very friendly - and some great dancers.

Hope to get down there myself before the end of August. There are some lovely dancers I'd love to have a dance with again and even better - a few that really enjoy 'bluesy' style :D

We drove past the Marcus Garvey venue three times before we found it and then wondered why on earth we missed it with a big ceroc banner outside !!!!!

Hope you have fun.

Neil
9th-July-2003, 03:38 PM
ooooh! An offer!
Hi Daisy,

I'd also like to offer my services for a dance or two. As Jayne will confirm, you'll find me propping up the bar in my CoolMax t-shirt (David, we must sort out a Forum banner :)).

I promise not to grope intentionally
Can't speak for David, but groping, intentional or otherwise, wouldn't be a problem for me :devil:

can you recommend somewhere close and safe to park for :

Monday - Marcus Garvey
Wednesday - Millfield Hall
Thursday - West Bridgford
All three have their own car parks, so you should be OK. The West Bridgford one is quite small, but if it's full you can park in the church car park or the one across the road from it (which has a sign about clamping that you can safely ignore!)

I was told by a colleague that Lenton Boulevard is not a very nice area and she suggested that I avoided it
Nah, don't worry about it. It's probably not the most upmarket area in the world, but the Marcus Garvey Centre has a big car park at the back which is (as far as I know) perfectly secure. I've never heard of people having any problems. The only thing is that it's a very popular night so the car park does get full. Because I tend to arrive late, I often have to park on the street in front, but the car's always been there at the end of the night (touch wood)!

Cheers,

Neil

Neil
9th-July-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Hope to get down there myself before the end of August.
Hi Bill,

I won't offer to dance with you :), but if you come down to Nottingham I shall be delighted to offer you a manly handshake and buy you a pint :cheers:. Maybe you could offer me a few pointers on how to become B.T.C.?

Neil

Bill
9th-July-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Hi Bill,

I won't offer to dance with you :),

why not ????????? have you seen me trying to follow :D

but if you come down to Nottingham I shall be delighted to offer you a manly handshake and buy you a pint :cheers:. Maybe you could offer me a few pointers on how to become B.T.C.?

Neil

Oooooooh.......... don't normally drink when I'm dancing but if it's free.........:drool: :na: well I am Aberdonian after all !!!

I'll look for you propping up the bar then......... if I don't find you I'll ask John to point you out.

Neil
9th-July-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Bill
why not ????????? have you seen me trying to follow
Bill, if (hypothetically) we were to dance, I would insist that you led :). But, in any case, I wouldn't dream of depriving the good womenfolk of Nottingham of you, even for just one dance!

Have a good holiday, and we look forward to seeing you down here before too long (look out for the Saltire hanging proudly above the bar...)

Neil

Jayne
10th-July-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Hi Daisy,

I'd also like to offer my services for a dance or two. As Jayne will confirm, you'll find me propping up the bar in my CoolMax t-shirt (David, we must sort out a Forum banner :)).

Neil

This is absolutely true! I was down in Nottingham at the start of the week and who should I find propping up the bar in the Marcus Garvey? None other than the lovely Neil in his Coolmax t-shirt!

Just wanted to thank all of the Nottingham guys for looking after me on monday - I had a great night and was ready for my bed by the time I left, I can tell you! Special thanks to David Y!

As for Lenton Boulevard being a dodgy area, don't worry about it. I lived just off if for two years and I've lived to tell the tale (even though I used to walk home alone at midnight from work for 18 months...).

Hope you have a great time in Nottingham!

Jayne
:nice:

Neil
10th-July-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
None other than the lovely Neil in his Coolmax t-shirt!
Lovely? Jayne, you've just made my day, if not my week! :grin:

Sorry we only got to have the one dance (you seemed, not surprisingly, to be in great demand among the Nottingham men). We'll have to remedy that when you next come down to Notts, or better still, when I get up to Scotland. :)

Neil

Diane
5th-August-2003, 08:14 PM
Hope to get down there myself before the end of August. There are some lovely dancers I'd love to have a dance with again and even better - a few that really enjoy 'bluesy' style :D

Hi Bill,
Just found this thread. Hope you come to Leicester when you are on your travels. I'm sure you're thinking 'who is this' but I love another dance with you.
Last time it was at the Christmas party at Stockport. You were wearing your kilt, it was fantastic, the BTC is certainly true.