PDA

View Full Version : Why are some male leads so nasty? (not in the American sense, I hasten to add)

Terpsichorea
1st-March-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't know whether it's something idiosyncratic about the Ceroc venue I go to, but a lot of the male leads seem to have a rather rude attitude towards Beginner/Early Intermediate dancers, in that they either can't be arsed to dance with them, or treat them dismissively when they deign to do so.

My wife (who has been dancing for two months) was reduced to tears last night when a man she was dancing with broke off mid-song and left her in the middle of the dancefloor. He also constantly criticised her for her inability to follow some fairly complex Intermediate choreography. My wife is a good dancer (I should know, I dance with her regularly) and her confidence took a real knock because of this. I think this is an exceptionally crap attitude, but as I watched the picking and choosing of partners in freestyle, I noticed that all the men cherry-picked Intermediate/Advanced dancers, leaving a lot of Beginner wallflowers hovering on the margins of the dancefloor.

I think perhaps this a natural consequence of the gender balance of Ceroc - the guys are in a minority, and so they can pick and choose. But I'm saddened that so many guys (at my venue at least) seem to treat less advanced dancers in such a Cavalier fashion. I just don't see the point in barking orders non-stop at a beginner for failing to instantly grasp moves which she's never seen before.

Rant over. Sorry. But this really p*ssed me off!

Dreadful Scathe
1st-March-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't know whether it's something idiosyncratic about the Ceroc venue I go to,

Probably yes, and your wife has just been unlucky too. You get annoying arrogant people everywhere but not in great enough numbers to let it worry you - avoid the AT snobs if you can though :)

Also, thanks for letting us know indirectly you are a man :)

I just don't see the point in barking orders non-stop at a beginner for failing to instantly grasp moves which she's never seen before.

My wife once got a partner in the lucky dip at the blackpool competition who told her what move he was going to do before he did it. Kind of spoiled the dance for her :) If you need to speak while you dance, then you cant dance - in my opinion :)

Terpsichorea
1st-March-2007, 11:59 AM
Probably yes, and your wife has just been unlucky too. You get annoying arrogant people everywhere but not in great enough numbers to let it worry you - avoid the AT snobs if you can though :)

Also, thanks for letting us know indirectly you are a man :)

My wife once got a partner in the lucky dip at the blackpool competition who told her what move he was going to do before he did it. Kind of spoiled the dance for her :) If you need to speak while you dance, then you cant dance - in my opinion :)

To be fair, I guess men don't have the monopoly on irritating behaviour - I danced with an Advanced (ie competitive) dancer recently and it was bloody awful - she looked about as interested and involved as I do when I'm maximising space in the dishwasher! I'm not Fred Astaire, but really...

drathzel
1st-March-2007, 12:16 PM
i am sorry to hear this, its not nice as a follower to feel overlooked cuz you are not good enough. I often feel that people need to see me dance before they ask me, just to make sure i am good enough because they dont know me. This has been backed up by a guy who aske me to dance by saying "i dont normally dance with people who i havent seen on the dancefloor but i will take a chance with you as everyone else is dancing" i nearly said no but thought if i could dance well it might change his oppinion and dance with others without seeing them! He came back later for a second dance so i guess i passed:rolleyes:

it is good however to see people (especially men) notice this and hopefully will then be more aware of the beginners and who they ask to dance.

As a follow i often avoid really fantastic dancers as i feel that i will dissapoint them and when i lead i do the same with the advanced women. I once led Lory when i was learning to lead and spent my entire dance wetting myself that it wasnt good enough! However Lory smiled and said thanks and i felt better!

i think you can have a balance of beginner, intermeds and advanced dancers and still have the best night/dances

StokeBloke
1st-March-2007, 12:19 PM
I don't know whether it's something idiosyncratic about the Ceroc venue I go to, but a lot of the male leads seem to have a rather rude attitude towards Beginner/Early Intermediate dancers, in that they either can't be arsed to dance with them, or treat them dismissively when they deign to do so.

My wife (who has been dancing for two months) was reduced to tears last night when a man she was dancing with broke off mid-song and left her in the middle of the dance floor. He also constantly criticised her for her inability to follow some fairly complex Intermediate choreography. My wife is a good dancer (I should know, I dance with her regularly) and her confidence took a real knock because of this. I think this is an exceptionally crap attitude, but as I watched the picking and choosing of partners in freestyle, I noticed that all the men cherry-picked Intermediate/Advanced dancers, leaving a lot of Beginner wallflowers hovering on the margins of the dancefloor.

I think perhaps this a natural consequence of the gender balance of Ceroc - the guys are in a minority, and so they can pick and choose. But I'm saddened that so many guys (at my venue at least) seem to treat less advanced dancers in such a Cavalier fashion. I just don't see the point in barking orders non-stop at a beginner for failing to instantly grasp moves which she's never seen before.

That's a pretty low way to behave. As for the girl's getting cherry picked.... why don't they ask, rather than wait to be asked? The guys who don't dance with beginners are missing a golden opportunity to improve their abilities as a lead. It sounds like the dancer you're talking about has forgotten the importance of being an excellent lead - if he ever was in the first place. If you need to explain a move to do it, you need more practice at it before you attempt it in free style! :mad:

I would be inclined to bring this behaviour (not necessarily naming names) the venue manager's attention. They can't see everything, but once alerted to the attitude shown to their new dancers I am sure they would be as equally horrified as we all are! They can't fix it if they don't know it's happening. Rant here.... it's great for letting off steam... but rant to the venue manager too, it's their job to look after all the dancers at their venue :wink:

Gav
1st-March-2007, 12:21 PM
Some people are just nasty or inconsiderate and unfortunately, some of them will learn to dance.
The only solution is for someone to have a word with them. I'd tell the organiser and let them deal with it if I were you.

If only Ceroc could buy some bad egg detectors from Willy Wonka and have everyone pass through them on the way in. :D

Terpsichorea
1st-March-2007, 12:34 PM
That's a pretty low way to behave. As for the girl's getting cherry picked.... why don't they ask, rather than wait to be asked? The guys who don't dance with beginners are missing a golden opportunity to improve their abilities as a lead. It sounds like the dancer you're talking about has forgotten the importance of being an excellent lead - if he ever was in the first place. If you need to explain a move to do it, you need more practice at it before you attempt it in free style! :mad:

I would be inclined to bring this behaviour (not necessarily naming names) the venue manager's attention. They can't see everything, but once alerted to the attitude shown to their new dancers I am sure they would be as equally horrified as we all are! They can't fix it if they don't know it's happening. Rant here.... it's great for letting off steam... but rant to the venue manager too, it's their job to look after all the dancers at their venue :wink:

Aye fair play - you don't see many of the women asking for dances at our venue - perhaps it should be stated, more forcibly, that it's OK for them to ask, this doesn't seem to have been happening in recent weeks.

David Bailey
1st-March-2007, 12:38 PM
My wife (who has been dancing for two months) was reduced to tears last night when a man she was dancing with broke off mid-song and left her in the middle of the dancefloor. He also constantly criticised her for her inability to follow some fairly complex Intermediate choreography.
Sorry to hear about that experience.

As with any anti-social behaviour, I'd strongly recommend talking to the venue manager in the first instance, and asking the venue manager to have a word with the offending party. That's what the venue managers are there for.

We should complain more, we put up with a lot of cr&p as dancers, and we should stand up for our right to enjoy ourselves. :clap:

Terpsichorea
1st-March-2007, 12:54 PM
Sorry to hear about that experience.

As with any anti-social behaviour, I'd strongly recommend talking to the venue manager in the first instance, and asking the venue manager to have a word with the offending party. That's what the venue managers are there for.

We should complain more, we put up with a lot of cr&p as dancers, and we should stand up for our right to enjoy ourselves. :clap:

I suppose at the end of the day, some people forget that the whole thing is supposed to be fun, not a gruelling ordeal. The best dances I've had haven't been with women who were schooled in every move under the sun, but with those that were having fun, enjoying the moves and the connection it gave them with another person.

Paulthetrainer
1st-March-2007, 01:22 PM
she looked about as interested and involved as I do when I'm maximising space in the dishwasher!

Please try and have some respect for other peoples hobbies!:D:D

Shocked to hear about what happened to your wife - I'm amazed that there are people who do that. On the plus side I reckon your wife could easily dance for the rest of her life without having to endure that kind of situation again.

I'm preaching to the converted here I know, but at the end of the day we all occasionally end up dancing with someone and realising that we'd rather be elsewhere, however, but then its only 4 minutes out of our lives so we just tough it out till the end of the track.

Dreadful Scathe
1st-March-2007, 01:25 PM
no, no, no... you fake an injury :)

Lee Bartholomew
1st-March-2007, 01:29 PM
no, no, no... you fake an injury :)

Lol done worse than that once. Had a woman who said mid dance that she couldn't be bothered with the dance anymore!!! I carried on for another 30 odd seconds then made out that my phone in my pocket rang. Pretended to answer it and walked off. :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
1st-March-2007, 01:41 PM
Lol done worse than that once. Had a woman who said mid dance that she couldn't be bothered with the dance anymore!!! I carried on for another 30 odd seconds then made out that my phone in my pocket rang. Pretended to answer it and walked off. :devil:
i think in those circumstances you were quite within your rights to say "me neither" and walk of with no other excuse needed :)

this reminds me of the fake an orgasm thread, in true Fast Show style, you could claim you've just had one and end the dance that way :)

Twirlie Bird
1st-March-2007, 01:57 PM
My wife (who has been dancing for two months) was reduced to tears last night when a man she was dancing with broke off mid-song and left her in the middle of the dancefloor.

This 'almost' happened to me after I had been dancing for only a very short while. This guy took me on the dance floor and it was obvious very quickly that he was disappointed at my inability to follow his lead and go into all the fancy moves he was trying to pull. It was awful. I really had the thought that he was going to walk off the dance floor and leave me standing there any minute. However he endured the whole song with me. :angry:

Since then I have made a point of not dancing with him. He often walks in my direction at the start of a dance. Funny as it's always the time my phone rings, or I am off to the bar or the toilet. The best one is when my husband clocks him heading my way so starts kissing me. :rofl:

Please tell your wife not to worry about people like that. :hug:

Twirlie Bird
-x-

Gav
1st-March-2007, 02:23 PM

There was one banned from CerocFusion fairly recently for just such behaviour. He'd had several warnings but the complaints kept coming.
Some will mend their ways and others will just have to be banned.
The point is, that if no-one tells them off, they'll keep on doing it.

TheTramp
1st-March-2007, 02:31 PM

There was one banned from CerocFusion fairly recently for just such behaviour. He'd had several warnings but the complaints kept coming.
Some will mend their ways and others will just have to be banned.
The point is, that if no-one tells them off, they'll keep on doing it.

There you go. I was just about to say that I don't really see what a venue manager can do about it. I'd agree that it's totally rude and reprehensible behaviour. But when someone pays to attend your venue, then you can't really tell them off for being rude. Sleazy, yanking, smelly, etc., yes....

But it seems that you can. I'd be interested to know for sure if that was the only reason that he got banned. Rudeness, while unwanted, doesn't seem like a banning offence to me. Although I'd like it to be! :D

Personally, I'd just spread the word about him that he's like that. As well as making sure that people are aware that it's perfectly ok to turn people down for a dance. And then see how he likes it when no-one will dance with him.

Anyhow, tell your wife from all of us that it's not her problem, it's his.

Gav
1st-March-2007, 02:36 PM
But it seems that you can. I'd be interested to know for sure if that was the only reason that he got banned. Rudeness, while unwanted, doesn't seem like a banning offence to me. Although I'd like it to be! :D

Consistent rudeness.
They'd had quite a few complaints, the last was when he was dancing with someone he asked "how long have you been dancing?", she replied, he came back with "Well I would have thought you'd have got the f******g hang of it by now" and ended the dance. As they were near her seat at the time, he said to her friend something along the lines of "no point asking you to dance, you're probably as bad as her".
I would've given him 2 lumps in his throat, personally, but they reported him and it seems it was the last straw.

Lynn
1st-March-2007, 02:37 PM
I don't know whether it's something idiosyncratic about the Ceroc venue I go to, but a lot of the male leads seem to have a rather rude attitude towards Beginner/Early Intermediate dancers, in that they either can't be arsed to dance with them, or treat them dismissively when they deign to do so.That's a horrible experience for your wife and just plain rude.

I'm wondering is this a symptom of the intermediate lead who isn't really all that good but thinks he is? When I was a beginner follow I only really danced at weekenders, I did end up dancing with a lot of experienced dancers (because I knew some people via this forum, and because a lot of forumites are more experienced dancers) and never encountered this attitude.

And with the more experienced leads, I've a few times encountered the 'you're not really good enough to dance with me' attitude - but its often from leads who dance very well but with a limited range of partners and maybe aren't actually as good at leading as they think they are, but blame any problems on the follower not being good enough.

I guess what I'm trying to say its not a reflection on the ability of the lead, but rather the attitude - still it would dent my confidence too if I wasn't in good form to start off with.

At our local venue some of the guys (not taxis) deliberately look around for new followers and make sure they get a dance. (Its another reason why I don't ask as much as I could, I know the new ladies would be too shy to ask, and I want the guys to be available to ask them.)

Double Trouble
1st-March-2007, 02:38 PM
My wife (who has been dancing for two months) was reduced to tears last night when a man she was dancing with broke off mid-song and left her in the middle of the dancefloor. He also constantly criticised her for her inability to follow some fairly complex Intermediate choreography. My wife is a good dancer (I should know, I dance with her regularly) and her confidence took a real knock because of this. I think this is an exceptionally crap attitude, but as I watched the picking and choosing of partners in freestyle, I noticed that all the men cherry-picked Intermediate/Advanced dancers, leaving a lot of Beginner wallflowers hovering on the margins of the dancefloor. Sorry. But this really p*ssed me off!

I have a question.

Firstly, if your wife was in tears and you were really p1ssed off about it, why didn't you speak to him direct and ask him to apologise to your wife?

With regard to the men generally going for the better dancers...that will always happen. I have noticed the beginners generally get ignored.

The Taxi dancers are there to make sure the beginners get some practise, but I have witnessed taxi dancers ignoring the beginners too and only dancing with their favourites.

When I started out, I just asked everyone and anyone and I didnt care if they gave me a look that said 'oh no...not another beginner'. I know not everyone has the balls to do that, so it really annoys me when i see the beginners being ignored.....especailly when its by the taxi dancers.:angry:

Lynn
1st-March-2007, 02:48 PM
With regard to the men generally going for the better dancers...that will always happen. I have noticed the beginners generally get ignored. I don't think thats in any way exclusive to men. Many women only go for the better dancers as well and ignore the beginner men.

And of course wanting to dance with experienced dancers is fine - that's how we learn.

But when we are dancing with beginners, its about attitude - graciousness and remembering we were all beginners once.

Double Trouble
1st-March-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't think thats in any way exclusive to men. Many women only go for the better dancers as well and ignore the beginner men.

:yeah: Totally agree, but this thread was about men being nasty.

I do agree that we all want to dance with the best dancers, but I do dance with beginners, in fact, anyone who asks me regardless of their dancing ability. The only time I ever refuse is if the asker smells. I simply cannot be doing with stinkers.:sick:

David Bailey
1st-March-2007, 02:55 PM
But when someone pays to attend your venue, then you can't really tell them off for being rude.
Why not?

You don't say "Rude", of course, you say "Insulting and abusive behaviour", something like that. Which it was, of course.

Presumably, if you want to be all lawyer-y (:sick: :na: ) about it, you can have something in the T&Cs to say "Insulting or abusive behaviour will result in {some action}" - in fact, I'd be surprised if either the venue or Ceroc membership doesn't have something like that in their terms already.

It's a members' club, membership can easily be revoked.

Jhutch
1st-March-2007, 02:59 PM
This 'almost' happened to me after I had been dancing for only a very short while. This guy took me on the dance floor and it was obvious very quickly that he was disappointed at my inability to follow his lead and go into all the fancy moves he was trying to pull. It was awful. I really had the thought that he was going to walk off the dance floor and leave me standing there any minute. However he endured the whole song with me. :angry:

Since then I have made a point of not dancing with him. He often walks in my direction at the start of a dance. Funny as it's always the time my phone rings, or I am off to the bar or the toilet. The best one is when my husband clocks him heading my way so starts kissing me. :rofl:

Do you think it is possible that he realises that he acted like a w*nker and wants to say sorry?

Dreadful Scathe
1st-March-2007, 03:34 PM
I think theres nothing wrong with dancing with people of about your own level! Everyone goes to dance to either learn how to dance better or just to have a good dance (usually when they get to a good enough level that they are not bothered about improving anymore). That is no excuse for rudeness though! If someone asks that you really do not want to dance with ,then politely say so. If you ask someone to dance and find they are very poor ; make the best of it, with your patience maybe they'll improve just a little bit (and anyway - maybe its YOU that sucks :) )

One of the worst dances i ever had was a women who bounced to the music and was more or less leading herself, as she bounced clockwise round me. I slowed things right down and lightened my lead even more than usual and eventually she calmed down, for some reason she still wanted to go clockwise the whole time but i never once considered ending the dance. I would never ask her to dance again but I would still not say no if she asked me again :) I've seen people almost run away from people they do not want to dance with, and I find that extremely rude. If its that bad, at least say no thanks. That way they are only slightly offended.

Terpsichorea
1st-March-2007, 03:53 PM
I have a question.

Firstly, if your wife was in tears and you were really p1ssed off about it, why didn't you speak to him direct and ask him to apologise to your wife?

With regard to the men generally going for the better dancers...that will always happen. I have noticed the beginners generally get ignored.

The Taxi dancers are there to make sure the beginners get some practise, but I have witnessed taxi dancers ignoring the beginners too and only dancing with their favourites.

When I started out, I just asked everyone and anyone and I didnt care if they gave me a look that said 'oh no...not another beginner'. I know not everyone has the balls to do that, so it really annoys me when i see the beginners being ignored.....especailly when its by the taxi dancers.:angry:

My wife (knowing what would happen) didn't fully divulge what had happened until we had got home. Otherwise I would have had words, in no uncertain terms, with the bloke in question. As it is, I am going to have a word with him next week.

I think you're right in part though about just having balls and not caring whether the person you've asked to dance thinks you're sh*t or not. At the end of the day, it's a learning experience; what lesson you take from it is up to you.

David Bailey
1st-March-2007, 03:59 PM
My wife (knowing what would happen) didn't fully divulge what had happened until we had got home. Otherwise I would have had words, in no uncertain terms, with the bloke in question. As it is, I am going to have a word with him next week.
Good - and as importantly, I'd make a complaint to the venue manager, and preferably in writing so it's recorded.

I know, no-one likes writing complaints, but written complaints get taken seriously, verbal ones can be forgotten or shrugged-off.

Double Trouble
1st-March-2007, 04:52 PM

Good for you...! A swift vince slap should knock some sense in to him.:D

TheTramp
1st-March-2007, 05:07 PM
Consistent rudeness.
They'd had quite a few complaints, the last was when he was dancing with someone he asked "how long have you been dancing?", she replied, he came back with "Well I would have thought you'd have got the f******g hang of it by now" and ended the dance. As they were near her seat at the time, he said to her friend something along the lines of "no point asking you to dance, you're probably as bad as her".
I would've given him 2 lumps in his throat, personally, but they reported him and it seems it was the last straw.

Fair enough. I think that's gone beyond the realms of rudeness, and is heading towards abuse (if not actually there) though. And yes, I'd agree with that one!

Why not?

You don't say "Rude", of course, you say "Insulting and abusive behaviour", something like that. Which it was, of course.

Presumably, if you want to be all lawyer-y (:sick: :na: ) about it, you can have something in the T&Cs to say "Insulting or abusive behaviour will result in {some action}" - in fact, I'd be surprised if either the venue or Ceroc membership doesn't have something like that in their terms already.

It's a members' club, membership can easily be revoked.

That's all very true. And in Gav's case, I think that there's no doubt that the correct action was taken.

I'm not so sure that in the original case (which I'm not in any way doubting was upsetting and unnecessary and rude) that there would be a case for the venue manager to deal with.

It's rude to look someone up and down, and then say no. Do we start banning people for that? Some people consider it to rude to say no at all? Are those people banned?

Like many things, it's all a question of where to draw the line. I'd suggest that the first situation, while totally unacceptable, is probably beyond the remit of the venue manager. Of course, that's just my view, and your opposing one is probably correct! :D

David Bailey
1st-March-2007, 05:48 PM
It's rude to look someone up and down, and then say no. Do we start banning people for that?
IMO? Abso-frickin'-lutely :)

Gav
1st-March-2007, 05:57 PM
IMO? Abso-frickin'-lutely :)

In the John Innes Centre in Norwich, you enter through a door in the corner of a large room and there is a row of seats on the wall to the left of the door. This is where all the ladies sit and wait.

So if you're after dancing with a particular person, it can look very much like you're scanning the line to judge who's worthy or not, even if that isn't the case! :wink:

JiveLad
1st-March-2007, 06:46 PM
I summary, I think this is a great reminder (for me at least) to adhere to my principle of 'taking care of beginners'. For me this does not mean being a 'quasi-taxi' always looking for beginners to dance with, but it does mean asking my fair share of beginners - and geuinely enjoying it/having fun - whatever happens.

The reason this is etched in my heart is that when I was beginner, some (experienced) women were patient with me and would dance with me. Two specific women refused (in a not-nice way) - and I have never (and probably never will, ask either to dance - even though I see them every week). One other I did dance with in my beginner days pulled the most awfulface thoughout....I have never asked her again.

I would not like anyone to experience any of the above.

Twirlie Bird
1st-March-2007, 08:24 PM
Do you think it is possible that he realises that he acted like a w*nker and wants to say sorry?

Nope. I dance with him in the classes. He's had plenty of opportunity to apologise but hasn't. :what:

StokeBloke
1st-March-2007, 08:35 PM
I summary, I think this is a great reminder (for me at least) to adhere to my principle of 'taking care of beginners'. For me this does not mean being a 'quasi-taxi' always looking for beginners to dance with, but it does mean asking my fair share of beginners - and geuinely enjoying it/having fun - whatever happens.
I get soo much out of dancing with beginners I always make a point of dancing with at least one follow who was in the review class. If you want to improve your skills as a lead, taking a nervous, unsure follow out and making sure they have the best dance of the night with you is a pretty good place to start. Let's face it - at worst it's three minutes out of your life :wink:

The reason this is etched in my heart is that when I was beginner, some (experienced) women were patient with me and would dance with me.
:yeah: Being asked to dance by a follow that you really are in awe of is pretty nerve wracking... but when they walk off the floor smiling and give you even the tiniest compliment it really spurs you on doesn't it. I hope that this memory never leaves me.

Astro
1st-March-2007, 09:24 PM
I once saw a hotshot leave a girl right in the middle of an extremely crowded dance floor in London (Can't remember which venue).

The worst was that the girl had a bemused smile on her face and had a dangerous time trying to get off the floor. I reckon she was new, he dumped her for that reason, and she didn't have the experience to get off the floor. Eventually she managed.

Trousers
2nd-March-2007, 10:03 AM
. . . .{snip} but written complaints get taken seriously, {snip}. . . . .

Do they? Do they really?

I reckon you ain't had your pills today DJ.

David Bailey
2nd-March-2007, 10:51 AM
Do they? Do they really?
Statistically, yes, although I'm sure there are counter-examples.

Typically, the amount of attention paid to a complaint seems to depend on the level of effort needed to make that complaint.

So, hand-written and posted letters seem to be most effective, whereas emails are least effective. For example, if 1.8 million people had written to Tony Blair by hand, saying how much they hated the road-pricing, you can bet the UK government would have taken notice, rather than shrugging the petition off as a curiosity.

I reckon you ain't had your pills today DJ.
Well, yes, there is that too. Wibble...

Dallen
9th-March-2007, 08:27 PM

My wife (who has been dancing for two months) was reduced to tears last night when a man she was dancing with broke off mid-song and left her in the middle of the dancefloor. He also constantly criticised her for her inability to follow some fairly complex Intermediate choreography. My wife is a good dancer (I should know, I dance with her regularly) and her confidence took a real knock because of this. I think this is an exceptionally crap attitude, but as I watched the picking and choosing of partners in freestyle, I noticed that all the men cherry-picked Intermediate/Advanced dancers, leaving a lot of Beginner wallflowers hovering on the margins of the dancefloor.

Hope this charactor doesn't put other potential dancers off from attending the venue. Surely a lot of patience is required when dancing with someone who is fairly new to Ceroc? There must be times when we all feel like running off the dance floor when a beginner is proving hard work, but you just can't do that, it's bad manners. Maybe the best thing to do is to ask one of the taxis to go over a particular move with the beginner until she 'finds her legs' to use an Irish expression. We were all beginners once too and required, in my case, a patient follower!