PDA

View Full Version : 5, 6, 7, 8...

Chef
27th-February-2007, 02:20 PM
Plus, most MJ spins are over two beats (for the spinning bit) -- so I guess stepping every beat would mean "running round" rather than pirouetting?

Are they? Whoops. We have been doing it wrong then. We have been using one beat for the prep for the spin and one beat for the spin itself (although sometimes it is one beat for two spins or two beats for two spins - depending on the speed or the music and what it suggests to us).

We will give the two beats for each spin thing a try and see how we get on.

spindr
27th-February-2007, 02:35 PM
Well, of course two beats for the spin == one "MJ count" :)

SpinDr

P.S.
One beat for the spin means you can do a double-spin in one "MJ count"

Chef
27th-February-2007, 05:17 PM
Well, of course two beats for the spin == one "MJ count" :)

SpinDr

P.S.
One beat for the spin means you can do a double-spin in one "MJ count"

Holy moley. I have really become disconnected from my MJ. I have been counting 8 beat groups so that I could understand where break and accents were so that I could choreograph stuff and work out where feet were going to need to be so that we could hit accents while still facing an audience.

Then we went onto WCS where we were taught a rolling count of &er1 &er2 &er3 and there was something that needs to be happening on each part of that rolling count. Makes MJ feel like there is a huge amount of time between the beats. Will have to think of something to make the space between beats look a little less empty.

It does seem a bit wierd now that you point it out that the teacher calls out 5,6,7,8 in time with the beats of the music and then everything half times into MJ beats once the dancing starts.

OK. 2 musical beats = 1 MJ beat. Must remember.

Tiggerbabe
27th-February-2007, 05:52 PM
It does seem a bit wierd now that you point it out that the teacher calls out 5,6,7,8 in time with the beats of the music and then everything half times into MJ beats once the dancing starts.

The teacher will count 5,6,7,8 in Ceroc/MJ beats, not musical beats.

MartinHarper
27th-February-2007, 05:59 PM
The teacher will count 5,6,7,8 in Ceroc/MJ beats, not musical beats.

Depends on the venue/teacher/etc.

Lou
27th-February-2007, 06:04 PM
Depends on the venue/teacher/etc.
Particulary those that might count as a-Five, a-Six, a-FiveSixSevenEight, for intstance....
:whistle:

Tiggerbabe
27th-February-2007, 06:06 PM
Now, this I've heard :wink:

Jamie
27th-February-2007, 06:16 PM

I believe the counts are:

Step in and spin on beat 1... Step back on beat 2... Hence 2 beats per spin.. I personally love breaking this rule... :whistle:

StokeBloke
27th-February-2007, 06:22 PM

Step in and spin on beat 1... Step back on beat 2... Hence 2 beats per spin.. I personally love breaking this rule... :whistle:
Says Jamie [a.k.a] Mr Six-Spins :D :D :D :D

MartinHarper
27th-February-2007, 06:37 PM
Particulary those that might count as a-Five, a-Six, a-FiveSixSevenEight, for intstance....
:whistle:

A-One, a-Two; a-you know what to do. <stomp-off>
Five, Six, Ready, Prepare.
Four, Three, Two, One.

All good fun.

Chef
27th-February-2007, 07:39 PM

We have been using one beat for the prep for the spin and one beat for the spin itself (although sometimes it is one beat for two spins or two beats for two spins - depending on the speed or the music and what it suggests to us).

This is all sounding like we are saying the same thing just in different ways.

Is Jamie saying step in and spin on beat 1 (1 MJ beat = 2 Musical beats) and me saying prep (=step in) then spin (= well, spin as it happens) on two musical beats (which = 1 MJ beat)?

You say step in and I say prep(are)

you say spin and I say spin

You say step in on the first half of an MJ beat and spin on the second half of an MJ beat.

You say tomato and I say say tomato

Let's call the whole thing off.:whistle: