PDA

View Full Version : Hammersmith June 29th

Emma
20th-June-2002, 03:27 PM
I know it's a bit of a long way for most people, but is anyone coming to Hammersmith Town Hall on Sat 29th June?

DavidB
20th-June-2002, 03:37 PM
No - we're going to JivePlus in Oxford.

But don't forget to take your shinpads (and preferably full body armour) for Hammersmith.

David

Emma
20th-June-2002, 03:40 PM
Aw, shame.

I had a great time last time I was at Hammersmith, and found it one of the friendliest venues I've danced at. I emerged unbruised..but maybe it was quiet.

DavidB
20th-June-2002, 04:02 PM
Hammersmith has a reputation amongst a lot of dancers for being the most dangerous venue in London. Whether it is the couple in the corner by the stage who do every lift they can think of, regardless of how much space there is, to the attitude of some of the dancers that "You are supposed to hit people when you dance" (The quote marks are true - someone did say that to me). Even the floor is dangerous - it is so sticky that it will damage your knees

Someone described it as a "Ceroc night for London Drivers - they are rude, agressive, and they'll cut you up given half a chance". It won't be long before you get road-rage (or should it be dance-rage).

I have no doubt that the majority of people there are normal and polite, and are pretty good dancers - but a minority of people have ruined it. I haven't been for several months, so maybe it had got better. I hope so, because it used to be a great venue. But these days I prefer going to places where I don't have to risk physical injury to have a good time.

I usually recommend the Casbah or Ashtons in London - would be interested in what you think of them?

David

Emma
20th-June-2002, 04:05 PM
I haven't been to either of them yet - will have to check them out sometime!

Franck
21st-June-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
Someone described it as a "Ceroc night for London Drivers - they are rude, agressive, and they'll cut you up given half a chance". It won't be long before you get road-rage (or should it be dance-rage).

I have no doubt that the majority of people there are normal and polite, and are pretty good dancers - but a minority of people have ruined it. I haven't been for several months, so maybe it had got better. I hope so, because it used to be a great venue. But these days I prefer going to places where I don't have to risk physical injury to have a good time.

I usually recommend the Casbah or Ashtons in London - would be interested in what you think of them?Well, the few times I have been to Hammersmith, I have really enjoyed the nights there, there was a great mix of abilities and styles, plenty to keep me busy dancing and watching...
Hammersmith is very popular and therefore very busy, so despite the huge dance floor, there is little room to dance.
Ashtons was great as well last time, though smaller, did not get the same buzz as in Hammersmith. I have to say though those of us who stayed after midnight, really went for it :wink: and it was a laugh.

London nights can be quite intimidating for visitors, but overall very rewarding for anyone up for it.

Franck.

P.S. I wonÕt be at the next one, though I would like to make a couple of London nights this year (probably one late summer and one in November.

filthycute
21st-June-2002, 06:48 PM
I just read the "I saw you" thread and Emma mentioning Hammersmith got me thinking........

I'll just combine the 2 threads :D

"I danced with you at the champs in London, you were a great dancer..... you did Salsa, Cha cha and blues. Went by the name of Asif (but the spelling is questionable :sick: ) "

ok it's a long shot, but if Emma asks every guy she dances with their name it might work :p

filthycute x x

Gus
22nd-June-2002, 10:55 AM
Have to agree with DaveB about Hammersmith. It can be one of the worst venues for inconsiderate dancing and the fllor can be lethal. Having said that, some Hammersmith nights are held when there are teacher training course weekends so you can drop on a night with 20 or so Ceroc teachers from over the UK!

Re Casbah ... probably one of the highest quality of dancers at one club, posiible even better than Guilford ... but again watch the floor ... last time I went saw half a dozen people slip over.

DavidB
22nd-June-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Re Casbah ... but again watch the floor ... last time I went saw half a dozen people slip over.One other thing about the Casbah - it gets very hot. It can be like a sauna even in Winter. Still good though.

Originally posted by Gus
possibly even better than GuilfordI haven't heard about Guildford. Any more details???

David

Gus
23rd-June-2002, 11:38 AM
I went to Guilford venue not long after I qualified as a teacher ... thought at last I may have reached an acceptable standard for braving the London circuit. Big mistake .... if I was lucky I may have have been in the top quarter of dancers ... there were at least half a dozen lads who were an order of magnitude better than me and the ladies were of a similar standard. Main complaint was that the better dancers seemed to be in a clique and it was very intimidating to dance with the better lasses as it felt like they were doing you were a favour!

Hopefully I've improved a bit over the years so I may be on a more even par with the standard there but even if people are very good, they should still make the dancing experinec good for someone less good.

Having said that, if you're after good dancers it was definitely the place to be. I know clubs change over time but I've still heard that the place is good. Got to say that the franchisee is a certain Anallisa Martin, youngest Ceroc teacher, one of the top UK DJs and a throughly nice person to boot. If you get chance, introduce yourself, she's always very friendly.

Emma
23rd-June-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by filthycute

ok it's a long shot, but if Emma asks every guy she dances with their name it might work :p Hmm..want me to get phone numbers?! :wink:

filthycute
24th-June-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Emma
Hmm..want me to get phone numbers?! :wink: Names AND phone numbers???.....i'm Impressed!!!:wink:

So tell me your secret?... any useful tips?
:D

E-mail addresses work aswell :p

filthycute x x

Hey i figured out how to do the real quote thingy :D

filthycute
24th-June-2002, 12:40 AM
Hey i figured out how to do the real quote thingy :D feel a little foolish now....it's really a lot easier than the way i was doing it originally.....can't believe it took so long to get....DOH!!!!:sorry

filthycute x x:yum:

Emma
24th-June-2002, 08:50 AM
Names AND phone numbers???.....i'm Impressed!!!:wink:

So tell me your secret?... any useful tips?
:D

*lol* erm..I didn't say I was going to be successful at getting the numbers...

Maybe I could get people to fill out a form after I've danced with them: name, number, email, song we danced to, preferred music, what they are wearing....:nice:

Emma
30th-June-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Even the floor is dangerous - it is so sticky that it will damage your knees

Someone described it as a "Ceroc night for London Drivers - they are rude, agressive, and they'll cut you up given half a chance". It won't be long before you get road-rage (or should it be dance-rage).I had a great time last night at Hammersmith..my experience both times I have been has been so far off the one you describe that I almost wonder if we're talking about the same place :) . The floor was completely clean, and though I did get bumped once or twice it certainly wasn't any worse than any other crowded venue that I've attended. I found people tremendously friendly...both people that I danced with and people who I didn't.

The swing-based taster class at the beginning was hard but fun, which I reckon helps to break the ice; and I plan to attend the workshop in August if I'm free. I have to get my head properly around that Charlston step! :what:

The cafe up the road serves a mean fry up too! :cheers:

DavidB
1st-July-2002, 01:15 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed it Emma. Hopefully it is getting back to like it used to be years ago.

If anyone asks me now, I will say that I didn't enjoy it the last time I went, but I know of people who had a really good time there.

David