PDA

View Full Version : Being emotionally moved by a dance

JiveLad
24th-February-2007, 01:49 PM
Usually, the dances I have are great fun (laughs/smiles/etc).

One dance I had last night, was fun - but more than that, I felt emotionally moved - I'm not sure why........difficult to explain: everything seemed so pure and we were very together. This was not like a personal attraction thing - it was the dance and how it worked out. I wasn't a million miles from moist eyes. I tried to explain to the lady afterwards - and I think she appreciated my feeling.

I wonder if anyone else has been moved emotionally by a single dance with someone they didn't know?

(Ok.....cue jokes about being moved to tears by some numpty or other).

Trouble
24th-February-2007, 02:06 PM
i have experienced many emotions when dancing. But i have never been emotionally moved. Normally im moved from a little shove of the hip, or a **** of the hand or a little nudge or a shout in my ear. :D :D

The nearest ive got to experiencing emotion is when i have been dancing with a partner to a nice blues number and our bodies have completely worked together. The emotion i then feel is different depending on the person im dancing with. If its a bit of hot totty then emotionally i am afloat.:love: if its a smelly guy then emotionally i feel drained :sick: if its a numpty then emotionally i want to get a spoon, stick it into my head and draw my brain out from my nostrils. :rolleyes:

Jhutch
24th-February-2007, 02:08 PM
My dancing is that bad that it has sometimes nearly moved me to tears. :tears: Does that count?:really:

Double Trouble
24th-February-2007, 02:18 PM
One dance I had last night, was fun - but more than that, I felt emotionally moved -

Thanks hun.....I know I'm good but...

:D :waycool: :D

Double Trouble
24th-February-2007, 02:34 PM
I think I can count on one hand the dances I have had that have had that 'wow' factor.

It's that feeling when you dont want the dance to end and you know the other person is feeling the same.

It doesn't happen often (not for me anyway) so it's very memorable when it does.:)

straycat
24th-February-2007, 02:49 PM
I wonder if anyone else has been moved emotionally by a single dance with someone they didn't know?

Yes, absolutely - a few times (and boy, do those moments ever stay with you) - it's an extraordinary feeling, like nothing else I've experienced (outside of a romantic context, anyway) - and utterly magical.

It's usually been a Blues thing up 'till now.

The really daft thing though is that the last couple of times I had dances like that (Blues night in Herrang) - some silly irrational part of me didn't want to dance with the ladies concerned again, in case the next dance was a let-down for both of us...

Lynn
24th-February-2007, 03:10 PM
The really daft thing though is that the last couple of times I had dances like that (Blues night in Herrang) - some silly irrational part of me didn't want to dance with the ladies concerned again, in case the next dance was a let-down for both of us...I know what you mean, and I've sometimes done this too - and the next dance often isn't as good - but at some stage, you will have another fabulous dance with that person.

You never forget those dances, do you?

dave the scaffolder
24th-February-2007, 03:17 PM
I have had very very few dances when all the blood rushes from my head and i end up limping from the floor with my hand in my pocket covering my credentials. Not happened often but when it does it is memorable. at least for me. XXX XXX

It is worse when i am dancing with another man.

straycat
24th-February-2007, 03:28 PM
I know what you mean, and I've sometimes done this too - and the next dance often isn't as good - but at some stage, you will have another fabulous dance with that person.

Oh - it would be stupid not to dance with someone again because your previous dance was too good - that doesn't stop my brain from having the thought though. Silly brain. :rolleyes:

No indeed. Although 30 seconds later - I couldn't have described a single move we did during the dances (most were made up on the spur of the moment anyway) - the feeling however remains. Just typing this and remembering back, I still get a bit of a buzz and a some of the same feeling from the dances... nothing exists apart from you, your parter or the music... out of this world.

CJ
24th-February-2007, 04:04 PM
JiveLad,

Thank you for posting ur Q. I'm sorry that lot have taken the p... so much, as I know how much of a shock this is when it happens, how confusing it can be and how brave it was to ask the Q.

There have been a couple of threads on this, one of which I started around Aug/Sep 05 (but can't Harperlink cos I'm pants).

In short,you've found the holy grail.:D :clap: :respect:

It's not about sex, attraction or erections: it's about the trinity, the connection between you, your partner and the music... Welcome to dance!!:worthy:

LittleSal
24th-February-2007, 04:49 PM
I know what you mean, and I've sometimes done this too - and the next dance often isn't as good - but at some stage, you will have another fabulous dance with that person.

:yeah: No you don't forget them! You just want them to go on and on.

jiveknight
24th-February-2007, 06:36 PM
Sometimes its like a really great conversation you have with someone you have just met where you agree on so much that you speak for ages, share the same reality, and don't even have to think about it, not merely attraction but a mutual affinity, it just flows. Like a good jam session with other musicians you are creating together, you're surprised at your own sudden grace or inventiveness, its almost like a movie, art. Then the music stops and you are in a social club or hall, you look at each other and say nothing but "thanks, that was really nice" and walk off with a sort understanding beyond words...someone else asks you to dance and your feet touch the floor again...:nice:

That's dancing. :cheers: Everyone should do it...

Ghost
24th-February-2007, 06:56 PM
Um, yeah, frequently. It's why I dance. Kinda puzzled that it seems to be such a rare occurance for others though :confused:

Astro
24th-February-2007, 08:03 PM
Sometimes its like a really great conversation you have with someone you have just met where you agree on so much that you speak for ages, share the same reality, and don't even have to think about it, not merely attraction but a mutual affinity, it just flows. Like a good jam session with other musicians you are creating together, you're surprised at your own sudden grace or inventiveness, its almost like a movie, art. Then the music stops and you are in a social club or hall, you look at each other and say nothing but "thanks, that was really nice" and walk off with a sort understanding beyond words...someone else asks you to dance and your feet touch the floor again...:nice:

That's dancing. :cheers: Everyone should do it...
A great description Jiveknight! They are above what I call "I can go home now" dances, which in themselves are nothing to be sneezed at.

Sometimes you get a run of them, then nothing for months. I have only ever had two with the same person. Also am unaware I've had one till the music stops.

straycat
24th-February-2007, 08:41 PM
Um, yeah, frequently. It's why I dance. Kinda puzzled that it seems to be such a rare occurance for others though :confused:

It's a matter of degree, I suppose. I usually get some degree of emotional involvement with the music, the dancer and my partner - it's just those utterly breathtaking ones that are so few and far between. Maybe if they were commonplace, they wouldn't seem so breathtaking...

Ghost
24th-February-2007, 08:46 PM
It's a matter of degree, I suppose. I usually get some degree of emotional involvement with the music, the dancer and my partner - it's just those utterly breathtaking ones that are so few and far between. Maybe if they were commonplace, they wouldn't seem so breathtaking...
Sunsets happen daily, but they still take my breath away - maybe I'm just easy to please?

Twirlie Bird
24th-February-2007, 10:14 PM

I completely understand and agree with what you are saying. Sometimes, as a married woman, when I leave the dance floor I feel 'guilty' :blush: This doesn't happen very often and it has nothing to do with sex, it is just the connection and the fact that there is no-one else in the world for those 3 or 4 minutes.

I've spoken about this with my husband and he has also experienced this and has also felt 'guilty'. We both totally understand this and it's not an issue. It's feelings and nobody can help how they feel. I certainly wouldn't want to stop him dancing with those particular dancers and likewise neither would he want to stop me.

It's dancing :awe:

Mezzosoprano
24th-February-2007, 10:35 PM
I completely understand and agree with what you are saying. Sometimes, as a married woman, when I leave the dance floor I feel 'guilty' :blush: This doesn't happen very often and it has nothing to do with sex, it is just the connection and the fact that there is no-one else in the world for those 3 or 4 minutes.

I've spoken about this with my husband and he has also experienced this and has also felt 'guilty'. We both totally understand this and it's not an issue. It's feelings and nobody can help how they feel. I certainly wouldn't want to stop him dancing with those particular dancers and likewise neither would he want to stop me.

It's dancing :awe:

I love it when I come off the dance floor feeling euphoric and have been so lost in the dance that I feel like I could dance for hours and not get tired.... the connection is amazing but it's not attraction at all. My husband doesn't dance and to behonest I think he'd think I was nuts if I tried to describe it!

straycat
25th-February-2007, 02:07 AM
Sunsets happen daily, but they still take my breath away - maybe I'm just easy to please?

Fair point now... a friend recently classed me as someone who thrives on new things, and eventually gets jaded (to some degree) by the old and familiar. I wonder how much that has to do with it.

Or it could just be that I very rarely get the chance to dance quality blues at the moment.

rubyred
25th-February-2007, 03:12 AM
Dancing the Waltz always seems to get me and I have been known to shed a tear when I hear the music which accompanies a Waltz.:rolleyes: [I know I know!] But it is it just such a beautiful dance, elegant and romantic and my passion for dancing comes to the front when I am being swept around the dance floor whilst dancing the Waltz.:flower:

Sheepman
25th-February-2007, 11:43 PM
Isn't it inevitable that this is more likely to happen with someone you don't know, as there are no expectations.
And the more people you know on the scene, the rarer that feeling becomes.

It happened to me just this afternoon, I was introduced to this lady who was feeling a bit left out, thinking she wasn't good enough for the men to want to dance with her. Early on in the track she said something like "what a lovely piece of music, almost spiritual", I thought "you can feel it too!" The dance we had wasn't elaborate or mindblowing, but I think that emotion came through from the music.

Greg

Little Monkey
26th-February-2007, 12:10 AM

Yes, the sun sets every day, but it's not every day you get the perfect, deep-pink, gold edged clouds, and a sun like a blood-red ball of fire etc etc, that really leaves you breathless. Yes, the sun sets every day, but sometimes it just dips below the horizon and it gets dark, without a spectacular show of colours.

That's the difference between the incredible dances that leave you floating on fluffy, pink clouds, and the standard dances that you enjoy, but don't really emotionally move you. In my humble opinion, of course. But if you really enjoy all your dances that much, and are emotionally moved by them, then good for you! I wish that was the case for me...

Little Yellow Fish
26th-February-2007, 12:16 AM
Yes, the sun sets every day, but it's not every day you get the perfect, deep-pink, gold edged clouds, and a sun like a blood-red ball of fire etc etc, that really leaves you breathless. Yes, the sun sets every day, but sometimes it just dips below the horizon and it gets dark, without a spectacular show of colours.

That's the difference between the incredible dances that leave you floating on fluffy, pink clouds, and the standard dances that you enjoy, but don't really emotionally move you. In my humble opinion, of course. But if you really enjoy all your dances that much, and are emotionally moved by them, then good for you! I wish that was the case for me...

Well said, couldn't have put it better if I tried :waycool: Some dances/dancers make you go all of a wibble but others... :blush:

On a slight tangent, I know the feeling of sitting for ages on a Fijian beach watching the sun set. Camera poised. What happened?? Bloody black clouds formed right over the horizon and hid the sunset from view. Needless to say my photos of that particular evening were poo :eek:

Vicki xx

LMC
26th-February-2007, 02:51 PM
Oh yes...

The ones where you feel like you're all starry eyed and have to sit down for a few minutes so you can get gently back down to earth.

Moments to treasure :)

fletch
26th-February-2007, 03:44 PM
How do you think 'orgasmic Mark' got his nick name :wink: :blush:

I recently danced to a Dion Warwick track:worthy: and I was fine singing along till almost the end, and i felt a 'jib' coming on,:tears: at that piont my dance partner did a lift which I hadn't managed to get before, it must have broke my train of thought, but it stoped the 'jib' :grin:

Cruella
26th-February-2007, 04:58 PM

He worked his magic on me at the last Southport. :drool: Funny how you can dance with someone loads of times and then just that once it's so different.:confused:
I can count on my fingers the amount of 'those' sort of dances i've had. :sad:
Never twice with the same person either.

paul stevo
26th-February-2007, 05:06 PM
Last night I got rather emotional while dancing with a female for the first time.....as I guess most guys of 6`3" would when following and ending up in a half moon with their ass higher than their head !!!:sick:

I`m reliably informed it looked good, I wouldn`t know I had my eyes firmly shut:blush:

Respect to Tor for a great dance :worthy:

To Franck.....are you gonna allow aerials in the reverse roles this year at the Scottish champs???

JiveLad
26th-February-2007, 05:18 PM
Never twice with the same person either.

I think that may also be an important part of it.

I remember after one fantastic dance last year (not one of the 'ultra' -emotional-mover dances - but a really top drawer one nevertheless) - I tried to replicate it: same lady, same track, same venue........and it wasn't as good.

Maybe also (for me at least) the ultras could only happen with a new dance partner........let's see......

Astro
26th-February-2007, 08:13 PM
Oh yes...

The ones where you feel like you're all starry eyed and have to sit down for a few minutes so you can get gently back down to earth.

Yes, that's it!

I remember after one fantastic dance last year (not one of the 'ultra' -emotional-mover dances - but a really top drawer one nevertheless) - I tried to replicate it: same lady, same track, same venue........and it wasn't as good.

Happened twice for me with same gentleman. Different venue and different track, but both on a Saturday night!

StokeBloke
27th-February-2007, 01:47 AM
When I very first started dancing I had problems making proper eye contact, it felt sort of too personal. It's something I posted here about. I managed to get past that though. But the side effect has been a feeling of closeness and connection with people sometimes when I dance. This connection did make me feel guilty as I am married and it sort of felt wrong somehow.

When I feel connected to my partner it's as if we are the only two people in the world, nothing and nobody else exists. Hence as a married bloke there is what could be considered a conflict of interests going on. I have had a long discussion about this with my wife; the conclusion we came to was... it happens to us both and it's only dancing.

The thing is, as I get better at dancing (relatively speaking) I need to concentrate less on what I'm doing and I can concentrate more on my partner. This seems to make these connections more frequent and from time to time the connection is really intense. It's a good job I didn't know about these types of connection when I was a wide eyed beginner worrying about eye contact :eek:

Jamie
27th-February-2007, 02:29 AM
I've had a few of these fantastic dances, I had a couple at Camber in November 06... and I had one at the last Utopia at Twickenham..

They seem to happen to me when I'm getting tired, because I think I get lost in the music and my partner, that we just dance and it becomes incredible.

All with people I didn't know..

fletch
27th-February-2007, 09:04 AM
Last night I got rather emotional while dancing with a female for the first time.....as I guess most guys of 6`3" would when following and ending up in a half moon with their ass higher than their head !!!:sick:

I`m reliably informed it looked good, I wouldn`t know I had my eyes firmly shut:blush:

Respect to Tor for a great dance :worthy:

To Franck.....are you gonna allow aerials in the reverse roles this year at the Scottish champs???

I couldn't dance properly with all that screeming going on :D I was trying to watch you :hug:

So are you thinking of entering with Dai (Tor) then :confused: :waycool:

What a fab night:clap: thanks for the dances Paul :flower:

paul stevo
27th-February-2007, 10:01 AM
We entered (Ellen and myself) last year, but they didn`t allow aerials...didn`t realise this till we got up there for the champs. Think we will practise some and put them in anyway this year !!! :D

Glad you had a good night.

drathzel
27th-February-2007, 10:10 AM
i have had a few of these dances. Altho i have to say i havent had one in about 6 months. It was at southport on the sat night and i remember thinking 'i can go home now":awe:

Tiggerbabe
27th-February-2007, 10:13 AM
We entered (Ellen and myself) last year, but they didn`t allow aerials...didn`t realise this till we got up there for the champs.
If you PM Scot, he will be able to tell you. :)

Lory
27th-February-2007, 10:31 AM
I've had a few, where the music and the feeling of one-ness (is that a word? :na: ) has been overwhelming and i've ended up feeling euphoric, dizzy and even a little disturbed by it!

But the one that really stands out, was to Andrea Bocelli and Christina Aguilera's - Somos Novios and all of a sudden, I embarrassingly welled up :blush:

spindr
27th-February-2007, 02:12 PM
That's gonna be worrying if the lads are in kilts!

SpinDr

Franck
27th-February-2007, 02:43 PM
To Franck.....are you gonna allow aerials in the reverse roles this year at the Scottish champs???As I'm not directly involved in the organisation of the Scottish Champs, you'll have to ask Scot (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/members/scot.html) whether he's planning to change the rules for the 8th / 9th September 07.

Little Monkey
27th-February-2007, 11:11 PM

I really must have missed out on something great.... I don't think I've ever met or danced with 'Orgasmic Mark'?? Yet he's mentioned all the time on the forum!:confused:

Little Monkey
28th-February-2007, 02:13 PM
I really must have missed out on something great.... I don't think I've ever met or danced with 'Orgasmic Mark'?? Yet he's mentioned all the time on the forum!:confused:

Ah. Just been told who this is. I've met him several times, but don't think I've danced with him? Or have I?:confused:

Rios Dearg
20th-March-2007, 12:26 AM
Oh yes...

I had this happen for the first time last week. Its hard to explain, I've danced with this person before and I always enjoy dancing with him. He isn't terribly forceful, in fact he is the gentlest, calmest, smoothest lead in my class, and yet I always know where he wants me to be without even thinking about it. It just flows.

However this one dance was special. I couldn't even tell you what the track was we were dancing to, just that we seemed to connect so well that we couldn't seem to put a foot wrong.

The only way I can describe it, is to say that that's what I would imagine flying feels like.

Thank you, Chris.

:love:

Franck
2nd-December-2014, 06:27 PM
Dancing can have a very strong impact on all of us... I would love to hear some of your recent experiences, keep it general if you don't want to name and praise, but it really is wonderful when you reach that 'floating on air' connection and really wish the dance would never end! :waycool:

Lory
2nd-December-2014, 07:24 PM
Aww how I long for a dance, where it moves me emotionally again. :devil: