PDA

View Full Version : Beginners classes only

Groovemeister
23rd-February-2007, 12:15 PM
I have heard a rumour that at some Ceroc venues there is going to be begineer classes only no intermediate.

If this is the case what is the goal?

Does that mean there will be intermediate class only nights as well or is it so there is more chance for freestlye. So many answers I know ?

David Bailey
23rd-February-2007, 12:31 PM
Ceroc (franchisees) have done this a few times before on occasion, either formally or informally.

When I first learnt, there was a Beginners night (one novice and one beginner class), an Advanced night (one intermediate and one advanced), and a couple of normal nights, all at the same venue.

But when I first learnt, dinosaurs roamed the earth, so that may not be relevant now.

Trouble
23rd-February-2007, 12:34 PM

But when I first learnt, dinosaurs roamed the earth, so that may not be relevant now.

dont be silly DJ, dinosaurs were still trying to get out the water. They had not got their land feet at that stage.

With regards to this original question, i have not heard of this before or seen it done. I would be very strange i think just to do that because who is going to go only beginners.? it would make it a very early night unless they advertised it as freestyle and shoved a beginners class in early to get it out of the way. :confused:

Groovemeister
23rd-February-2007, 12:38 PM
But dosn't that come away from what Ceroc are proffesing in that you don't need to go there each week as there is no cylibus just turn up and dance.

If it's now going to be that you can only learn certain things on certain weeks, days etc then it's all changed hasn't it.

Is this their way of getting people on work shops ?

Rachel
23rd-February-2007, 12:43 PM
I have heard a rumour that at some Ceroc venues there is going to be begineer classes only no intermediate.

If this is the case what is the goal?

Does that mean there will be intermediate class only nights as well or is it so there is more chance for freestlye. So many answers I know ?I haven't heard about this, so can't answer yes or no for definite.

However, you're not thinking of the new format for Ceroc Central weekend freestyles, are you, where there will now just be one icebreaker class at the start of the evening, and no intermediate/fun class?

Rachel

Gav
23rd-February-2007, 12:44 PM
They've been doing it in Norwich on Monday nights for at least the last year (probably a lot longer, but I wouldn't know). It's very popular and very succesful.

They have 2 lessons and 2 lots of freestyle as usual, but both lessons teach 3 beginners moves each.

It's a great way for leaders to learn the basic moves quickly and get lots of practise. I'm not sure that followers would benefit greatly from it though.
I started out doing this, because I only had Monday nights free, but I'm glad I did. It meant that after 3 months of once a week, I had all the basic moves locked in memory and a solid base to build upon.

Of course, 1 year later I still only remember the basic moves but that's just me :blush:

Double Trouble
23rd-February-2007, 12:45 PM
I did. It meant that after 3 months of once a week, I had all the basic moves locked in memory and a solid base to build upon.

All? By 'all' do you mean 6?

Trouble
23rd-February-2007, 12:47 PM

dont be mean sis, i counted at least 7 last time. :love:

Gav
23rd-February-2007, 12:48 PM

dont be mean sis, i counted at least 7 last time. :love:

Well I have to be careful to only use moves I know my partner can handle :na:

Trouble
23rd-February-2007, 12:49 PM

lol lol lol lol lol good one, quite sharp for you Mr Gav...:love:

DD+
23rd-February-2007, 12:50 PM
Down in Ceroc Kent we have Complete Beginner only days - normally on a saturday and they last for 5 hours!!

Double Trouble
23rd-February-2007, 12:50 PM

Thats me knackered then....I only know the donkey drop.

LMC
23rd-February-2007, 12:52 PM
Jive Bar tried it for a few weeks - 2 x beginner classes only on a Wednesday, Intermediate and Advanced classes only on a Thursday. But it got canned after only a few weeks. There is a thread here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7476) which talks about some "what we want from this kind of class" type stuff.

OK, back to a night with beginners' classes only: I think such a night would have a very high turnover and not many regulars. It could end up nearly all beginners, with a sprinkling of taxis and a few more experienced dancers who are either very kind, visiting, looking to 'pull' or who are actually not all that good but know that they look it in comparison with the high proportion of beginners. Two beginners dancing together can be a little bit like the blind leading the blind - hence benefits of taxis and Ceroc's emphasis on everyone asking everyone to dance (both Good Things Done by Ceroc, when found make a note of). It would be a good way to run a new night in a new area for a few weeks - even essential perhaps - but I can't see it working longer term under the current Ceroc teaching model.

Gav
23rd-February-2007, 12:58 PM
It would be a good way to run a new night in a new area for a few weeks - even essential perhaps - but I can't see it working longer term under the current Ceroc teaching model.

Like I said a bit further up, CerocFusion have been doing it for over a year, with plenty of success.

Groovemeister
23rd-February-2007, 12:59 PM
I haven't heard about this, so can't answer yes or no for definite.

However, you're not thinking of the new format for Ceroc Central weekend freestyles, are you, where there will now just be one icebreaker class at the start of the evening, and no intermediate/fun class?

Rachel

No weekday events.

I think LMC and Gav have answered my questions as this is the type of thinking that may have been put in place.

I guess these things have to be tried just sounded wierd when I first heard

LMC
23rd-February-2007, 01:02 PM
Like I said a bit further up, CerocFusion have been doing it for over a year, with plenty of success.
Cross-posting, doncha just love it ... (didn't see it before I did my post, I type fast but not THAT fast!)

Do you still go though? - and how many other classes are there in Norwich?

'cos the point is (and fair enough, I was being very naughty and "London-centric") we have so much choice here that people could easily find a "non-beginners-only" class to go to - perhaps that's why JB didn't last for long.

Gav
23rd-February-2007, 01:08 PM
Cross-posting, doncha just love it ... (didn't see it before I did my post, I type fast but not THAT fast!)

Do you still go though? - and how many other classes are there in Norwich?

'cos the point is (and fair enough, I was being very naughty and "London-centric") we have so much choice here that people could easily find a "non-beginners-only" class to go to - perhaps that's why JB didn't last for long.

:rofl:

Norwich has Ceroc classes Monday to Thursday and there are independants that run classes too.

No, I went for 3 months. Then for 1 month I had Tuesdays free so I moved onto the intermediate classes. When I went back to having Mondays only free, I couldn't bear the thought of going back to beginners only so I started driving to Suffolk every Monday!

Yogi_Bear
23rd-February-2007, 02:25 PM
Jive Bar tried it for a few weeks - 2 x beginner classes only on a Wednesday, Intermediate and Advanced classes only on a Thursday. But it got canned after only a few weeks. There is a thread here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7476) which talks about some "what we want from this kind of class" type stuff.

OK, back to a night with beginners' classes only: I think such a night would have a very high turnover and not many regulars. It could end up nearly all beginners, with a sprinkling of taxis and a few more experienced dancers who are either very kind, visiting, looking to 'pull' or who are actually not all that good but know that they look it in comparison with the high proportion of beginners. Two beginners dancing together can be a little bit like the blind leading the blind - hence benefits of taxis and Ceroc's emphasis on everyone asking everyone to dance (both Good Things Done by Ceroc, when found make a note of). It would be a good way to run a new night in a new area for a few weeks - even essential perhaps - but I can't see it working longer term under the current Ceroc teaching model.

Well, as Gav has said, Ceroc Fusion in Norwich has been running a beginner only night on Mondays for several years at least, and on Wednesdays a class of six moves including a couple of easy intermediate ones, finishing earlier to allow extended freestyle time. It all seems to meet the need of different people for different types of dance evening. And for many people, the safety net of a beginnner evening is just what they want. And also some people will only be able to dance on Mondays, whatever level of class is tried.

Gav
28th-February-2007, 02:20 PM
Oh ***!!!!!

I've just heard that CerocFusion (East Anglia) have decided to standardise all their classes. Therefore the beginners only night on Mondays and the beginners plus night on Wednesdays will now follow the standard beginners and intermediates format. :angry:

I really thought they had the right idea with those nights. Never mind. :rolleyes:

David Bailey
28th-February-2007, 03:17 PM
I've just heard that CerocFusion (East Anglia) have decided to standardise all their classes. Therefore the beginners only night on Mondays and the beginners plus night on Wednesdays will now follow the standard beginners and intermediates format. :angry:
That actually seems to be the standard progression - once there are enough intermediates in an area, the format changes a bit; same thing happened at Finchley a few years back.

Yogi_Bear
28th-February-2007, 03:20 PM
That actually seems to be the standard progression - once there are enough intermediates in an area, the format changes a bit; same thing happened at Finchley a few years back.
Yeah, except that Ceroc classes have been running several nights a week in Norwich for over 15 years....maybe we're slow learners :D

David Bailey
28th-February-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah, except that Ceroc classes have been running several nights a week in Norwich for over 15 years....maybe we're slow learners :D
I couldn't possibly comment... :na:

Gav
28th-February-2007, 03:40 PM
I couldn't possibly comment... :na:

Probably best, I know where you dance... :wink:

David Bailey
28th-February-2007, 03:56 PM
Probably best, I know where you dance... :wink:
Not any more - I'm a roving dancer at the moment, appearing anywhere at random.

A bit like the Scarlet Pimpernel of MJ, but without the frilly cuffs.