PDA

View Full Version : Im a Vigilante and Im ok , I work all night and I sleep all day

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-February-2007, 01:24 AM
apologies to Lou in advance for title ;)

News from the US - Internet Vigilantes are LEGAL

compare these 2 stories

Story 1 (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/22/judge_child_abuse_sentencing/)

in summary:

Hacker distributes Trojan horse program in newsgroup

uses it to compromise the security of peoples home PCs

"obsessively monitors" what they are doing on their PCs

reports any illegal activity to police and is praised

Story 2 (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/22/trojan_plea/)

in summary:

Hacker distributes Trojan horse program in chat channel

uses it to compromise the security of peoples home PCs

watches what they are doing on their PCs

Now faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine when he is sentenced in early May.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no particular comment on these stories other than the main one. Vigilantism is USUALLY discouraged, not anymore, not on the internet in the US anyway. Discuss :) and is this a dangerous trend ?

straycat
23rd-February-2007, 09:28 AM
This makes me wonder ... are you, in fact, a hacker who is monitoring us on this forum, planting trojans etc - looking for an opening to strike? Is this post a cunning double-bluff to draw attention away from that (maybe someone's getting suspicious?)

I think you must be a member of a rival dance organisation, subtly working your way to world domination ... could you even be one of those feared ninja Morris dancers? The ones who wear black and remove their bells so they can sneak around silently...

Are we all, in fact, in mortal peril? :sick:

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-February-2007, 10:19 AM
This makes me wonder ... are you, in fact, a hacker who is monitoring us on this forum, planting trojans etc - looking for an opening to strike? Is this post a cunning double-bluff to draw attention away from that (maybe someone's getting suspicious?)

I think you must be a member of a rival dance organisation, subtly working your way to world domination ... could you even be one of those feared ninja Morris dancers? The ones who wear black and remove their bells so they can sneak around silently...

World Domination has always been my plan, but its never been a secret :)

Stuart M
23rd-February-2007, 11:35 AM

That's SMERSH, straycat, not SMURF...I know with a Sean Connery accent you get SHMURF but they're still quite distinct.