PDA

View Full Version : How far would you go in one night?

JiveLad
22nd-February-2007, 02:24 PM
Specifically, driving from home to an event (not a weekender - say just a 1 night freestyle somewhere) and back the same night (or morning) - ie with no stopover/sleepover.

I know that some people like Fletch (and others) regularly(?) drive 2 hours (or more)?

Do other people do this regularly - 3 hours (or more?!).

(I know others fly/train etc - but I'm just interested in the driving aspect).

David Bailey
22nd-February-2007, 02:26 PM
Anyone else look at the title and think "Hmmm, why isn't this Upstairs"?
Just me then.

TheTramp
22nd-February-2007, 02:30 PM
We've done this before. Probably at least twice.

With no sleepover, I think that the furthest I've been is to Doncaster with CJ - That's 280 miles, and about 5 hours of driving each way (although, only 220 and 4 hours for CJ! :D).

Including a sleepover, I went from Sydney to Hamilton (NZ). About 3000 miles (approx.), and about 8-9 hours travelling each way as I recall. Though, I wasn't driving for that!

icebraker
22nd-February-2007, 02:34 PM
Just me then.Depends on how far the other person's preparde to let you go :whistle: :whistle:

Gav
22nd-February-2007, 02:38 PM
I did Norwich to Derby and back once, which took between 3 and 4 hours each way. I'd do it again too.

I regularly travel from Norwich to London and sometimes drive back the same night, that's usually between 2 and 3 hours each way.

Lory
22nd-February-2007, 02:49 PM
One things for sure, I usually go all the way.....

and back again! :na:

icebraker
22nd-February-2007, 02:55 PM

and back again! :na:maybe we should swop notes sum time :whistle: :whistle:

Shodan
22nd-February-2007, 03:53 PM
Just me then.
Yup, I thought exactly the same. I was going to say "a few dances and maybe a hug goodbye at the end of the night". :rofl:

But for a freestyle, the furthest I've been is Exeter to Yeovil and thats about 50mins. Except of course the Cornish Jive events, but they dont count as I normally stay down in Cornwall with my folks afterwards.

David Bailey
22nd-February-2007, 03:56 PM
Yup, I thought exactly the same. I was going to say "a few dances and maybe a hug goodbye at the end of the night". :rofl:
Peck on the cheek is my limit :innocent:

Axtually, my "normal" limit for a freestyle is 35 minutes. I'm seriously considering cutting down to 30 minutes.

In a few years time, it'll be "next door at most", I imagine. :D

Shodan
22nd-February-2007, 04:09 PM
I have to know someone a bit more before I start kissing em, even on the cheek. My max on first day is a hug - after all its not that much different than doing a sway move or something.

My normal freestyle classes though are literally down the road from me. If I do travel long distance then I normally try and kip over at a mates place and come back the next day.

Jamie
22nd-February-2007, 04:21 PM
I've travelled to Northfleet in Kent one night from Northampton... Then went back to Doncaster that night... To prove a point, needless to say, the point wasn't proven! :whistle:

sidney
22nd-February-2007, 04:28 PM
My limit is one hour, which means as I live in the Midlands, Leics I will go as far as Daventryin the South and Sheffield in the North, but I have been to :ni Stockport and London a couple of times but always stay overnight with friends etc.:nice:

Freya
22nd-February-2007, 04:50 PM
Are we talking time or distance?

If it's time, Then probably an event in london when I've been down visiting!

If it's distance then it's probably the 70miles to dundee from aberdeen! It only takes bout an hour and a half!

If it's any further then I'll find somewhere to stay overnight or someone else to drive as I don't feel too confident on my ability to stay awake on the drive back!

fletch
22nd-February-2007, 05:00 PM
for me its not the driving there and back its how much sleep havn't I had and what time it is.:sick:

one of my hardest journes was leaving Sheepy's at 4am than taking WB home and then back to the Midlands after a full weekend of Utoipa and Hammersmith it was a tough one :eek:

Trousers
22nd-February-2007, 06:13 PM
My limit is one hour, which means as I live in the Midlands, Leics I will go as far as Daventryin the South and Sheffield in the North, but I have been to :ni Stockport and London a couple of times but always stay overnight with friends etc.:nice:

Push your limit up a little and you'll get Bedford Corn Exchange freestyles 1 hour 40 from Hinckley and inside that time Tea dances at Milton Keynes.

And for your info it only takes about 1 hour 40 to return from either Hipster or Ashtons on a Friday night Freestyle

You are soooo missing out!!!

drathzel
22nd-February-2007, 06:31 PM
I have driven from edinburgh to brechin for one night dancing i think that was a couple of hours each way and i have driven glasgow to dundee return which is about 2 hrs but no done much more i think.

Cornish Pixie
23rd-February-2007, 05:26 AM
3 hrs 30 mins cornwall to yeovil, but so worth it:wink:

4 hrs cornwall to barnstaple, but there was an extra interest there besides dancing!:awe:

xx

dave the scaffolder
23rd-February-2007, 04:31 PM
I did Waltham Abbey to Biggleswade in 23 minutes one night at a constant 140 mph most of the way. All it cost was a new pair of underpants xxx xxx

Trouble
23rd-February-2007, 04:32 PM
I did Waltham Abbey to Biggleswade in 23 minutes one night at a constant 140 mph most of the way. All it cost was a new pair of underpants xxx xxx

yeah but that had nothing to do with your driving :wink: :awe:

dave the scaffolder
23rd-February-2007, 04:37 PM
yeah but that had nothing to do with your driving :wink: :awe:
We will get bumped by the waffle police in a minute. XXX XXX:love:

PS get on with your work

Yogi_Bear
23rd-February-2007, 05:51 PM

Axtually, my "normal" limit for a freestyle is 35 minutes. I'm seriously considering cutting down to 30 minutes.

In a few years time, it'll be "next door at most", I imagine. :D
How lucky. If I applied the 30 minute rule from home I would never dance outside Norwich (well, maybe Wymondham)...:what:
I frequenty drive for around 2 hours there and two hours back. How else would I do anything? Plus I try to take advantage of trips elsewhere, especially if going by train, to fit in some dancing. The joys of Norfolk.....:whistle:
With an overnight stay thrown in the distance can increase....make it two overnights and the sky's the limit.

Lynn
24th-February-2007, 03:33 PM
For MJ the choice is pretty limited - the furthest is 45 mins for a freestyle. The current freestyle venue is 10 mins.

For AT I've done a 200 mile round trip for a class and about an hour at a milonga - about 5 hours in the car.

Piglet
24th-February-2007, 04:01 PM
Think my farthest drive has got to be to the BFG in Glasgow from Aberdeen last year. I hadn't booked any classes and just went along for the Saturday night party and drove home again after. About 2 1/2 hour drive both ways, but not sure what the mileage would have been.

Martin
24th-February-2007, 04:09 PM

and back again! :na:

About 2 hours for a regular evening.... but for Lory, if the above holds true... I will book my flight........... :love:

jive_me
24th-February-2007, 04:23 PM
The furthest I've gone is an hour but probably wouldn't mind driving a bit further. That's a trek considering my local venue is all of two minutes away :D think it's encouraged me to be lazy.

xXx:flower:

under par
24th-February-2007, 10:08 PM
Mrs Par and I will travel a long way for a long evening of freestyle:yeah:

We have done Worthing to Weston and return for Big Bang last year and then we did Worthing to Daventry and return just before Christmas for the Ceroc freestyle... both had longer driving times than dancing times but would do the same again tomorrow given half a chance:flower:

mick s
26th-February-2007, 09:25 AM
I have taken my motor bike to Paris(when I had one) for the night, via eurotunnel danced all night and riden back the next morning, small club in Bastille def worth the journey.